The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
I cannot express the gratitude for your dedication to helping fellow gamers out here on CAG.

Best of luck, and hope you stick around here with us.

Man I saw the ultimate slap on the face at the 99 cent store today: street fighter trading cards with a Blockbuster price of $3.99.

[quote name='evildeadjedi']It kinda reminds me of when Circuit City gave up the ghost and our man inside (Speedy I believe?) also was in the same situation.[/QUOTE]
I'm pretty sure Speedy1961 was just someone who got the sale ads early like some other CAG's do. The only thing I remember Speedy for was him getting sued by CC(and CAG defending him) because he leaked the one PS3 price drop early.

Can't say thank enough to you HB, you deserve mad props and respect. Seriously got me some killer deals and were the only reason to go to my buster's.

HawaiiBoy, thanks for all your contributions. I scored big during the 3/15 deal thanks to you. Hope whatever you end up doing makes you way happier. Much respect sent your way.

HawaiiBoy, I live on Oahu. Which store do you work at that is closing? Hopefully it's not the one near my house.
Good luck with your future and thanks for your help on this board.

HB

we had our fights over last summer and fall over prices of the games but goodluck hope you can upgrade and get better job

Omg hb, i unhapply predicted this would happen soon as i dont expect bbv to live past the summer. Unfortunatly this thread is basically done now. Thanks for everything hb and i hope to still see you in the threds as you are a gamer like the rest of us. Thanks for everything

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I'm pretty sure Speedy1961 was just someone who got the sale ads early like some other CAG's do. The only thing I remember Speedy for was him getting sued by CC(and CAG defending him) because he leaked the one PS3 price drop early.[/QUOTE]

I believe you are correct sir. Who was the CAG that announced all the cc clearance deals??

i havent logged in about 6 months but did so just to say a heartfelt thank you to hawaiiBoy for saving me so much time and money. You are a tremendous person, karma should carry you really far in life. Thanks for all the fantastic work. Hopefully your next job is a rewarding one!

[quote name='evildeadjedi']I believe you are correct sir. Who was the CAG that announced all the cc clearance deals??[/QUOTE]
I originally was gonna say I didn't know, but now that I thought about it I believe it was neocisco who was the clearance deal person for CC.

HB - So sorry to hear your store is closing. :cry: Thank you for all your hard work you've provided on this thread.:applause: I wouldn't scored all those sweet bbv game deals without you.

Thanks for everything, HB. Sucks it had to end. Well for us. You helped me amass more games than I'll ever have time to play. You'll no doubt be on to bigger & better things. But the CAG community is definitely losing one of its greats.

I feel like I''ve lost a family member. But maybe that's because whenever the BBV employees would ask how I knew about the sale and they didn't, I'd usually say, "my cousin works for Blockbuster in Colorado." Take care, sir.

Mothers day deal. Free movie and popcorn this weekend valid 5/12-5/13. Go into any store and they should have flyers for a free movie and popcorn. Both barcodes are on the flyer they are handing out.

Spoke to a BBV employee today and she said that rumors of another open house event will take place Memorial Day weelend. I am not sure what she was talking about but she mentioned something about local businesses being involved. I would have talked to her more but there was a line behind me.

You guys know anything about this?

Last edited by a moderator:
HB always appreciated the posts. Thanks again.

Its really the end of an era in alot of ways. Blockbusters continue to close around me, even though there are maybe 4 left. A couple years ago, the glory days, when we had 20-25...

We will always have the memories :)

[quote name='TheHelix']So I went to the swap meet today and I guess this is a place where lots of closing BBV stuff gets resold.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was at a Mega Media Xchange down in Milwaukee like two weeks ago and they clearly had gone in on the last day of the Blockbuster closing sale nearby, bought every DVD that was marked at a $1 and were trying to sell them for $2 (or they made a deal with the BBV manager to buy them all for some certain dollar amount per DVD). Found one or two gems in there, funny enough.

Yes, it is sad that Blockbuster is surely on its' way out, best of luck HB! FYI, Half Price Books is a much better company to work for if you have any in the area.

I still get any info about upcoming sales and price drops and there has been no mention of a memorial day say though it is likely. :wii: smurfs was the only price drop this week.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']I still get any info about upcoming sales and price drops and there has been no mention of a memorial day say though it is likely. :wii: smurfs was the only price drop this week.[/QUOTE]

Hawaiiboy PM'd you

Noticed my local store has a lot of new stuff put into the used section, like Skyward Sword and the new Kirby Wii game. Not much at great prices though. Hoping most of them hit $14.99 at some point and then they have a b1g1 sale.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']I still get any info about upcoming sales and price drops and there has been no mention of a memorial day say though it is likely. :wii: smurfs was the only price drop this week.[/QUOTE]

Just checking the thread patiently waiting for news on a memorial day sale. I knew Hawaiiboy would be on the case. Thanks.

[quote name='Brother Daz']It's not as bad as I though it would be.[/QUOTE]

It's pretty bad but that's what a combo pass is for lol

Sorry about double posting but I have a question that needed this bumped.

I just got a email from bbv about a memorial day sale, 3 previously viewed games for $20. The email doesn't say anything else like what prices the games need to be. My local store is clueless, anyone else maybe know anything about this?

[quote name='Brother Daz']Sorry about double posting but I have a question that needed this bumped.

I just got a email from bbv about a memorial day sale, 3 previously viewed games for $20. The email doesn't say anything else like what prices the games need to be. My local store is clueless, anyone else maybe know anything about this?[/QUOTE]

I just called my nearest store. They were very polite but said they didn't hear about a memorial day sale.

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']I just called my nearest store. They were very polite but said they didn't hear about a memorial day sale.[/QUOTE]

They email do has a 4/$20 movie deal too. The girl knew about that one, not the game sale though. Right below the sales it has a link to find a closet store. That makes me think it should be valid in store also.

bbmemorialday_04.jpg
Buy new movies as low as $5.99
spacer.gif
Previously played games3for$20
spacer.gif
spacer.gif
Previously viewed movies4for$20

[quote name='Brother Daz']Sorry about double posting but I have a question that needed this bumped.

I just got a email from bbv about a memorial day sale, 3 previously viewed games for $20. The email doesn't say anything else like what prices the games need to be. My local store is clueless, anyone else maybe know anything about this?[/QUOTE]
Given the history of them doing sales like this around Memorial Day, I'd say that's a distinct possibility.

The only thing I've seen about the memorial day sale is 5 for $20 movies which is not really a sale. I'll check to see if there is anything on games. If the email said 3 for $20 games then they must be $14.99 and lower.

i wish it was today and not memorial day. Im visiting family and leaving the store here that has a huge used game selection, for a store that usally has really awful choices

EDIT: may start friday email says 5/25-5/31?

I'm off Friday, guess I'll have to go take a look. Just when I started making a dent into my backlog, too. Traded in 7 games to GS already, with another 7 most likely going out before the end of the week. Annnnd then I'll probably buy a bunch of crap at BBV lol. Thanks for the heads up, fellas.

bread's done
Back