The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
You mean there's stores still open??? LOL.

Haven't been to a Blockbuster since they closed two of the stores in the most populated / congested areas of Greenville, SC. Don't think I'll drive the 10 miles to the next nearest one as their selection seriously sucks.

As much as I loved the sales from BB, I wish someone would just put the nail in the coffin of the remaining stores (no offense to any employees).

[quote name='awp']You mean there's stores still open??? LOL.

Haven't been to a Blockbuster since they closed two of the stores in the most populated / congested areas of Greenville, SC. Don't think I'll drive the 10 miles to the next nearest one as their selection seriously sucks.

As much as I loved the sales from BB, I wish someone would just put the nail in the coffin of the remaining stores (no offense to any employees).[/QUOTE]

The Sumter store and a couple Columbia stores are still open. I don't ever hit up the Columbia stores though, due to distance and the Sumter store being better, but Columbia is a further drive for you if you are in Greenville.

Hope there are some good games to get. I know HB said stores were getting a lot in a couple weeks back and when I went recently, I didn't see anything new at my store.

[quote name='EYEL1NER']The Sumter store and a couple Columbia stores are still open. I don't ever hit up the Columbia stores though, due to distance and the Sumter store being better, but Columbia is a further drive for you if you are in Greenville.

Hope there are some good games to get. I know HB said stores were getting a lot in a couple weeks back and when I went recently, I didn't see anything new at my store.[/QUOTE]

They've still got a few stores around here. Simpsonville, Pleasanburg Drive. But the ones they decided to close made no sense at all. Two stores on the busiest street in the entire area ....Woodruff Road. I understood closing one of the two (they were only about 2 miles apart). But both stores were pretty busy and closing one probably would have made an extremely profitable store for the one that survived. The store on Pleasantburg Drive is always dead whenever I've been in that area. Neither of them are worth the drive.

Probably had something to with leases or whatever. But definately didn't seem like the wisest decision in terms of what stores were getting the most business. I don't think Dish has helped the BB situation even for the stores still open.

[quote name='FlamedLiquid']Hope there's some good stuff at my nearest location. They were pretty cleaned out last time I was there. That was a few months ago though.[/QUOTE]

The stores by me that were cleaned out got a bunch of new stuff shipped to them a couple weeks ago and now have lots of good stuff. I would definitely go check your store again.

[quote name='Gosha']Wii Party is $14.99 still. Could be a decent flip towards the Gamestop trade 7 promotion. That and Epic Yarn.[/QUOTE]

Man, are there any blockbusters around that still have those two for sale? I grabbed the remaining of those last sale which was quite some time ago.

Hope this sale includes $20 games. It would awesome to get 3 $20 games for only $20. I highly doubt it will happen.

Went to a local Blockbuster fairly recently. There was hardly any games for less than $15, mostly $20 or higher.

[quote name='awp']They've still got a few stores around here. Simpsonville, Pleasanburg Drive. But the ones they decided to close made no sense at all. Two stores on the busiest street in the entire area ....Woodruff Road. I understood closing one of the two (they were only about 2 miles apart). But both stores were pretty busy and closing one probably would have made an extremely profitable store for the one that survived. The store on Pleasantburg Drive is always dead whenever I've been in that area. Neither of them are worth the drive.

Probably had something to with leases or whatever. But definately didn't seem like the wisest decision in terms of what stores were getting the most business. I don't think Dish has helped the BB situation even for the stores still open.[/QUOTE]
That's like the Syracuse(NY) area. There were three stores up in that area last year. ALL THREE were closed, leaving the next nearest one about 17 or more miles away.:roll:

Thing is, the three that closed weren't even that close together. One was at the bottom of this big, steep hill next to a pawn shop, one was out in an area that was all residential till you came upon the shopping center it was in and the last one was right near the one exchange for at least 1-2 interstate highways and right along a very busy main road with a LOT of other retail stores in the same area.

[quote name='slppedyoursster']Backer cards??????????????? Are you fucking kidding me? I even looked at this seller's feedback and people said the cards were flawless :roll: WTF![/QUOTE]

People will buy anything nowadays. I love those listings where it's the box only or something. People are so damn gullible...

[quote name='joshthegreat69']Uh. wtf. No Blockbuster carries these anymore either, do they? I would gladly take some off their hands if they did.[/QUOTE]
I think mine sold them 5 for $1? or something like that. Maybe more expensive than that.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Even the DVD backing cards advertising different movies. I've seen those going for decent too.:whistle2:# It just amazes me what people will pay good money for.[/QUOTE]

Despite the listing and the photo some mouth breather will purchase and expect the games. It may not be that listing but it will happen sooner or later. How did you find that listing anyway? PS3 game lot search?

I'm surprised anyone would even want those!

**edit** Apparently it already happened.

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...=negative&interval=365&_trkparms=negative_365

[quote name='kouleefoh']I think mine sold them 5 for $1? or something like that. Maybe more expensive than that.[/QUOTE]
I believe mine had them for about 20 for $1 towards the last days of the closing sale. Would have bought them if I knew they were worth anything :roll:

[quote name='mark_IV']Despite the listing and the photo some mouth breather will purchase and expect the games. It may not be that listing but it will happen sooner or later. How did you find that listing anyway? PS3 game lot search?

I'm surprised anyone would even want those!

**edit** Apparently it already happened.

http://feedback.ebay.com/ws/eBayISA...=negative&interval=365&_trkparms=negative_365[/QUOTE]
I just looked for video game backing cards or something similar.

[quote name='AJVtony831']I believe mine had them for about 20 for $1 towards the last days of the closing sale. Would have bought them if I knew they were worth anything :roll:[/QUOTE]

Same here.

Check this one out...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-OF-8-XB...311?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ebd60bd1f

I guess people are in desperate need of Kinect backer cards because someone paid almost $8 a piece for some. I collect a lot of crazy stuff, but I still don't totally understand why someone would want these. Do they frame them and display them in their house?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Large-lot-o...694?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item256fd3588e

Last edited by a moderator:
funny thing is I thought about buying them. Didn't really know why I wanted it. Could've been a start of a new career. haha
Do you think people might have mistaken it for actual games?

[quote name='kouleefoh']funny thing is I thought about buying them. Didn't really know why I wanted it. Could've been a start of a new career. haha
Do you think people might have mistaken it for actual games?[/QUOTE]

If they do, wait for the bad feedback. I'll definitely keep an eye for them in the future.

[quote name='kouleefoh']I think mine sold them 5 for $1? or something like that. Maybe more expensive than that.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure they were 20 for $2 or so and this was like on the first day of the liquidation at my store (I never went in after that). I got some Halo ones for my son and it took me a while to fill out the 20 so I just picked up a bunch of Mario ones. I guess I should look into the value of them ;).

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']
Check this one out...
http://www.ebay.com/itm/LOT-OF-8-XB...311?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item2ebd60bd1f

I guess people are in desperate need of Kinect backer cards because someone paid almost $8 a piece for some. I collect a lot of crazy stuff, but I still don't totally understand why someone would want these. Do they frame them and display them in their house?
[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but look into that a bit more. The seller relisted this same auction for $15.99 Buy It Now after selling it for $63.27 originally. I'm guessing that he contacted the original buyer to make sure they knew they were cards and not the games themselves and then had to cancel the transaction. Then he got a negative feedback on the second $15.99 sale from someone else who apparently didn't know it was just cards. He does have a few positives for other auctions for the cards but they are for much smaller amounts of money. I'm not sure it would be worth the hassle though ;).

Jeez, I haven't been in a Blockbuster in ages so I'm not sure what I would even be looking for with a buy 3 for $20. Hope everyone can post their purchases tomorrow. It's also a bummer with so many Blockbusters closing, because all the convenient local stores are gone.

Since the last sale, the stores have become so spread out now. There's nothing within eleven to eighteen miles in all directions, just kiosks.

[quote name='sadboy']Since the last sale, the stores have become so spread out now. There's nothing within eleven to eighteen miles in all directions, just kiosks.[/QUOTE]

Same here. I'm worried if the promotion requires the employees to scan a barcode instead of ringing up automatically. It would suck to drive 22 miles round trip and not buy anything because employees don't know about the sale.

Backer cards?! These are kind like those "display only" versions of video game cases I see in Gamestops?

If I really wanted something like that I'd probably print my own/scan my game case to make my own.

That's just me though. Then again, I'd probably do that with those alternate cover arts for video games people make and post on the coverproject.

[quote name='WeaponX2099']How about Assassin's Creed: Revelations for TIV?[/QUOTE]

Well, they sell it for $19.99 used so I'm guessing it's not gonna be much. Not worth flipping from BB...

[quote name='esalw822']Well, they sell it for $19.99 used so I'm guessing it's not gonna be much. Not worth flipping from BB...[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that won't be profitable. I hope that someday there will be another "Kinect Adventures" or "Cranium Bukkake," but I doubt that will happen between now and when all BBV stores close.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']Backer cards?! These are kind like those "display only" versions of video game cases I see in Gamestops?

If I really wanted something like that I'd probably print my own/scan my game case to make my own.

That's just me though. Then again, I'd probably do that with those alternate cover arts for video games people make and post on the coverproject.[/QUOTE]

Make your own and sell them on ebay! Brilliant!

Have there been any new drops to 14.99 since the last sale? I know hawaiiboy has posted drops since then but most of the ones I found in this thread are 19.99. Wait, is the sale for 14.99 titles?

[quote name='dinovelvet']Have there been any new drops to 14.99 since the last sale? I know hawaiiboy has posted drops since then but most of the ones I found in this thread are 19.99. Wait, is the sale for 14.99 titles?[/QUOTE]
I called my local Blockbuster earlier and they said they won't know until tomorrow. I really hope it's for 19.99 and less. I would spend 60 bucks on games (this replenishing my backlog to unhealthy levels =/ )

Edit: Here's some of the 15.99 and less titles from the past 6 months that I remember:
Brink
Duke Nukem Forever
Homefront
L. A. Noire
Shift 2
Fear 3
Marvel vs Capcom 3
Red Faction Armageddon

Heading to the store near me now to check for games.

[quote name='dinovelvet']Have there been any new drops to 14.99 since the last sale? I know hawaiiboy has posted drops since then but most of the ones I found in this thread are 19.99. Wait, is the sale for 14.99 titles?[/QUOTE]

The email doesn't actually say so we really don't know at this point. Like others, it now requires a 20+ mile round trip drive for me (vs the 1/2 mile rt it used to be) to check out the sale. So I'm going to wait until I hear about the details/restrictions first.

Here's what we know: 3 used games for $20 starting tomorrow (May 25th) and running through May 31st at "participating stores only".

So the questions are:

1) Does this "participating stores only" BS mean something or is that just the usual disclaimer excluding franchise stores (if there even are such things any more)?

2) Is there a maximum value restriction on the games (such as $14.99)? Obviously this is the big one.

3) Is it automatic or does it require a bar code? This is also big because even if $19.99 games are allowed or there is no restriction, if it requires a bar code to be scanned you could get rejected by various clerks or store managers making up their own rules. Plus, as usual there will be stores that have no clue there is any sale whatsoever. This doesn't matter if the sale is automatic.

[quote name='io']The email doesn't actually say so we really don't know at this point. Like others, it now requires a 20+ mile round trip drive for me (vs the 1/2 mile rt it used to be) to check out the sale. So I'm going to wait until I hear about the details/restrictions first.

Here's what we know: 3 used games for $20 starting tomorrow (May 25th) and running through May 31st at "participating stores only".

So the questions are:

1) Does this "participating stores only" BS mean something or is that just the usual disclaimer excluding franchise stores (if there even are such things any more)?

2) Is there a maximum value restriction on the games (such as $14.99)? Obviously this is the big one.

3) Is it automatic or does it require a bar code? This is also big because even if $19.99 games are allowed or there is no restriction, if it requires a bar code to be scanned you could get rejected by various clerks or store managers making up their own rules. Plus, as usual there will be stores that have no clue there is any sale whatsoever. This doesn't matter if the sale is automatic.[/QUOTE]

Ha, you summed up all the questions I was checking for on this thread. Hopefully we have some answers soon.

I am going to be at my local BBV at 10 am (EST). This BBV is USUALLY on the ball but you never know. If I have success, I will hit up another BBV and then come home and report my findings. I should be able to have something posted around 11:30.

I was supposed to call back the one manager lady from my closest store before the end of the night, but it's 11pm here now and I'm pretty sure the store is closed by now.

As it stands, if the sale is $14.99 and under like usual, then I'm likely sitting this one out since they had one copy of Red Faction Armageddon($10) and one copy of Assassin's Creed Brotherhood(that I could borrow from my one friend who bought it during the 3/$15 5/$25 a while back) and not much else that qualified for PS3.

For PS3, Deus Ex is still $20, as is Warhammer and any of the other more recent or halfway decent titles.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']For PS3, Deus Ex is still $20, as is Warhammer and any of the other more recent or halfway decent titles.[/QUOTE]

I believe Warhammer is now $15. I believe that's what I saw earlier this week. I'm tempted to make a few rounds, but it's hard to consider going further than the 2 local stores since I don't see their stock in Google Shopping.

[quote name='scblueeyedguy']I believe Warhammer is now $15. I believe that's what I saw earlier this week. I'm tempted to make a few rounds, but it's hard to consider going further than the 2 local stores since I don't see their stock in Google Shopping.[/QUOTE]

I can confirm Wahammer is $15. Also saw the following:

Battlefield 3, $24.99
Gears of War 3, 19.99

[quote name='io']The email doesn't actually say so we really don't know at this point. Like others, it now requires a 20+ mile round trip drive for me (vs the 1/2 mile rt it used to be) to check out the sale. So I'm going to wait until I hear about the details/restrictions first.

So the questions are:

3) Is it automatic or does it require a bar code? This is also big because even if $19.99 games are allowed or there is no restriction, if it requires a bar code to be scanned you could get rejected by various clerks or store managers making up their own rules. Plus, as usual there will be stores that have no clue there is any sale whatsoever. This doesn't matter if the sale is automatic.[/QUOTE]

4) Does the 4 for $20 movie deal include previously viewed blurays? Have their been any price drops on blu-rays in the past months? The last time I was at BBV (a while ago) they had older movies that have been out since 2010 still marked $16.99. These movies were already on HBO, Showtime, Starz, etc for several months. For a while, BBV reduced most blurays down to $9.99 before they aired on the movie channels.

5) Which games dropped to $14.99 since the last sale?

6) Should I call my store tomorrow morning or potentially waste gallons of gas and hours of time?

7) Why isn't Blockbuster profitable anymore? It's not like their information system is unorganized in any way. :^o:bs:

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']4) Does the 4 for $20 movie deal include previously viewed blurays? Have their been any price drops on blu-rays in the past months? The last time I was at BBV (a while ago) they had older movies that have been out since 2010 still marked $16.99. These movies were already on HBO, Showtime, Starz, etc for several months. For a while, BBV reduced most blurays down to $9.99 before they aired on the movie channels.

5) Which games dropped to $14.99 since the last sale?

6) Should I call my store tomorrow morning or potentially waste gallons of gas and hours of time?

7) Why isn't Blockbuster profitable anymore? It's not like their information system is unorganized in any way. :^o:bs:[/QUOTE]
I think a more important question than #7 is: How many stores do Dish Network plan on keeping around? That's the magic question that no one still has an answer to that annoys me most. I've gone from 8-10 stores around here to TWO in almost as many years. You're not telling me that all of those stores were losing the company money in one way or another.

I worked at a HWV.... my god if we'd kept that shit. I have the actual drop box from mine. Would make a great storage unit I bet. I've thought about taking it to a scrap yard, bet it'd get me some money... maybe I should ebay it? Only thing is the shipping -.-

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I think a more important question than #7 is: How many stores do Dish Network plan on keeping around? That's the magic question that no one still has an answer to that annoys me most. I've gone from 8-10 stores around here to TWO in almost as many years. You're not telling me that all of those stores were losing the company money in one way or another.[/QUOTE]

They don't plan to keep any stores. From what I know they plan to be the next Netflix and Redbox type service

bread's done
Back