The Blockbuster Thread XXV: June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Blockbuster/Gamerush video game deal thread.

June 25th - July 1st, 50% off used games $19.99 and under

See here for the deal: http://www.blockbuster.com/stores

There used to be a coupon to print for it, but now stores should have the bar code to scan at the register.  If not, show them their own web page (above) and maybe they will figure it out.

See BlockbusterGuy's thread for a list of titles eligible under (and commonly found at BBV) for the promo:

http://www.cheapassgamer.com/topic/310423-blockbuster-video-4th-of-july-sale-bogo/

Coming July 2nd: B1G1 free on games $29.99 and under

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note that anything below here might be out of date. To be honest, I have no idea if Blockbuster even takes games for trade-in any more!

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos, post any trade-in values you have obtained, and discuss new and used game selection and availability. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals).

What is this thread NOT for?
Please do not discuss the flipping of games from one Blockbuster store to another should another such opportunity arise (through trade-in deals). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (BBVto Amazon to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from BBV.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Blockbuster Game Trading Info
- You must sign up for a trade account in addition to your regular Blockbuster account
- You must sign up for a new trade account at every store you wish to trade at, even if using the same main account
- Trade-in credit will be placed onto your store account
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- Clerks at one store cannot see your trading/purchasing history at another store via your account
- Depending on state law you may or may not get sales tax added to your trade-ins (and thus get more than normal). You will always be charged sales tax where applicable on purchases.

Current Trade-In Deals
There are no trade-in deals at this time nor have there been for a very very long time. They did however just recently cut down all their trade-in values to Gamestop-like levels (but without deals to make them more appealing as at GS).

Trade-In Values

Trade-in prices are usually universal at Blockbuster, but can be wildly different at franchise Blockbuster stores. Used game prices change on Monday. We are not currently sure when trade-in values get updated but a few years ago it used to be on Mondays. Any quotes given in this thread may thus be good through Sunday of the current week. If you want to be sure to get the same value another CAG has reported then do your trading by Sunday as the price may drop on Monday.

Also note that many stores will no longer accept video games without cover art. This is the official policy for DVD trade-ins but apparently many clerks will confuse the two and not allow it for games either. Just beware that it might be a hassle if you have a disc-only game to trade.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Links to previous Blockbuster/Gamerush Threads (dating back to June 2005!):
1 (by no means the first one but the earliest that can be found - check it out for some drama)
2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer'] You're not telling me that all of those stores were losing the company money in one way or another.[/QUOTE]

I was told by a clerk at my local store just prior to them finding out that they were being closed that they were the most profitable store in the district and were in no danger of closing any time soon as a result. D'oh!

[quote name='StealOfADeal']
They don't plan to keep any stores. From what I know they plan to be the next Netflix and Redbox type service[/QUOTE]

Well, good luck with that, Dish Network. With there already being Redbox and Netflix I don't see how that's going to work for them. They had that built in advantage over those guys of having the store locations in addition to the mail-order (or kiosk) service. I had just signed up for the pass 2 weeks before my store got the ax. I was planning on making good use of it and was very close to dumping Netflix. BBV was way better because I could get games as well as movies and they had many available more upon release (vs Netflix's 30-day hold). The thought that I could take stuff in to the store and swap it out whenever I wanted was awesome. I thought the only use I'd have for Netflix was the streaming and possibly their larger catalog of older discs - and I could dump them once I saw all the older releases in my queue. Plus Netflix's streaming service has turned to crap recently - nothing decent added in months. Except for a few shows my little kids watch it is a waste now. BBV would have been the go to place for games and newer movies going forward for me. Too bad I never really got to take advantage of that.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Warhammer(for PS3 anyway) is showing up as $19.99 on the Google Shopping search results for me:cry:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...f.,cf.osb&fp=a02d51b37173f5cb&biw=800&bih=485

By the way, before I forget the vanilla version of :ps3::360:Arkham City(GOTY edition is due out at months' end)is $19.99 at BBV right now.[/QUOTE]

Back when HB updated the price-drop on Warhammer, he said only the :360: version dropped to $14.99 so I'm guessing that's why you see the price disparity between that and the $19.99 :ps3: version...

Thanks very much!

[quote name='slppedyoursster']I am going to be at my local BBV at 10 am (EST). This BBV is USUALLY on the ball but you never know. If I have success, I will hit up another BBV and then come home and report my findings. I should be able to have something posted around 11:30.[/QUOTE]

just left my local store with bad news.The manager there had no idea about the sale and even showed me the printout from this morning with no new deals. I showed her my email and she started calling to find out the details. She was told the emails were sent out in error and we should be getting two cancellation emails this morning.

I also just returned from my BBV and the one worker there had no clue. She tried calling two other people but was unable to get an answer from them. She also informed me that their email system was down (not sure if this was nationwide or local). Anyway, the email system is probably down because the server melted due to all the store closing email notifications. I did not have the email with me but the worker said sometimes there is a bar code at the bottom of the email and if a worker scans it, the computer should explain the promotion.

I thought I stopped getting the info but looks like they just havent sent anything out to stores about the sale. The only thing I've seen is the email that went out to everyone.

As far as the 2 previous posts. No cancellation emails are gonna be sent out and there is no bar code that when scanned will explain the promo. The email system is not down but our other system has been as they are transitioning to a different computer support system that only affects management tasks and has nothing to do with getting our email which is and has been up and running.

Maybe someone out there has some info but I have yet to see anything but will keep looking.

Same for me in NC, guy said someone asked about it but he's got no details, made a couple calls, no one knows anything, he did offer to let me get 3 9.99's for 20, but with that selection it wasn't even worth it.

I went in at 10 a.m. and the guy said he'd been asked a couple times. He called his manager and told me that they have no info yet but they'll "probably be something for Memorial Day." He said when his manager comes in today (around 3 p.m. CT) he'll try to find something out for sure.

Same deal here. I rang all 3 stores within a 20 minute drive first and none had any idea of a upcoming sale "although it'd make sense, we sometimes have those."

Gee, it's a wonder this company is going out of business no?

[quote name='Solder']Same deal here. I rang all 3 stores within a 20 minute drive first and none had any idea of a upcoming sale "although it'd make sense, we sometimes have those."

Gee, it's a wonder this company is going out of business no?[/QUOTE]

Company already went under, Dish Networks bought the assets but clearly haven't done jack squat to improve the service. I use their online monthly pass with the free exchanges. Not a bad price and you do get access to older games for free. Worth it to me when its the same price as Netflix (if you include blu-ray).

The store I went to also didn't have any info yet. I actually talked with the store manager last night and she actually knew a sale was going to be happening but didn't have price details yet. She told me to call back later today when she was working. Seems like its not the stores that are dropping the ball but corporate not relaying the sale information

Just came back from bbv and manager said there will be a sale on used games and movies 14.99 or less. She said she just waiting on corporate to update computers

[quote name='trailmix10']Just came back from bbv and manager said there will be a sale on used games and movies 14.99 or less. She said she just waiting on corporate to update computers[/QUOTE]

So the deal may not be dead?

My 2 local stores told me there was a 3 for $20 sale on certain titles(14.99 and under)and they sold out first thing this morning @ 10. The manager told me they were titles left over from previous sales. Who knows sounds like blockbuster does not know what they are doing????!!!!!

:lol:Glad I didn't bother staying up this morning to try hitting up my closest store at opening, since it sounds like this sale is a no go for almost everyone right now.

So I went to my local store at around 11am. The manager said he had been gone the last two days and that the computer had been down that long too. He had no idea anything that may have been coming down from corporate. I showed him the ad, and he called a manager of another store and found out their computers had been down too. That manager figured it was 14.99 and under for the deal. My store has not been able to get updates on prices either.

They had tons of games (all 19.99+), and I was told they were transferring some of them out.

Again, yes some of our systems were down and are still down since Wednesday but the part that is down has nothing to do with the info or lack thereof that we are not getting. The email system has been and is up and running its just no info about the sale is being passed on to stores.

I decided last night when going to bed that I would resist this sale. None of the stores left had much last time I had stopped in and figured there probably wouldn't be much worth stopping in for. Now I'm especially glad that I didn't waste the time and gas this morning and had a nice chill morning before heading off to work.

Well maybe its just for this monday either way there was nothing there game wise or movie wise that is worth the drive to the store. They have ok deals on new movies but other than that this sale if there is one does not compare to last years. I have feeling all bbv will be done by end of 2013

Ok so I finally found out what the hell is going on. There is a correction email going out stating that games $14.99 and below are 2 for $20 and DVDs $9.99 and below are 5 for $20. The movies are auto barcode as that isn't even a deal it's the everyday sale but the game sale is barcoded.

[quote name='hawaiiboy']Ok so I finally found out what the hell is going on. There is a correction email going out stating that games $14.99 and below are 2 for $20 and DVDs $9.99 and below are 5 for $20. The movies are auto barcode as that isn't even a deal it's the everyday sale but the game sale is barcoded.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for the info, HB. It looks like Dish is finally tweaking what the normal sales would be(then again that last sale was outside the normal BOGO we usually get and insane/great).

But this sale is definitely a pass for me at 2/$20 on $15 games.:roll::whistle2:#

Thanks nonetheless though HB.

Thanks hawaiiboy, it's good to hear everything's finally sorted out. Two $15 games for $10 a piece really isn't bad (it's 33% off, kind of like a B2G1), but it depends entirely on selection, and it really sucks for the people who are going to be stopping in expecting the deal listed in the e-mail.

2 for $20, $14.99 and under? Yeah, it's not worth the gas to drive 20 miles RT to check the selection. Oh well, works for me - I can get real work done instead of running around to BBV stores ;).

I'm not sure 2 for $20 is worth the time to go even with a decent selection. I was eyeing Rage and Warhammer as part of a 3 for $20 earlier, but I really don't feel like spending $10 each on them, especially since I already owned Rage once at $5 from BB.

Are there any decent $15 games I might be missing? I own all 3 consoles.

K, well I just waited 10 minutes on the phone for the manager to tell me they're still waiting for some official word, but that he "can do 3 $9.99 or less games for $20."

The first store didn't know anything about the sale. I ended up driving by another store on my way home and decided to check it out. The guy told me about the deal when I walked through the door. Any 3 games $14.99 and under for $20. There wasn't a very good selection, but I did manage to find 3.

edit: Just read the last page. Looks like I got lucky.

I used to love Blockbuster, and I've supported them by keeping my rental business with them by moving to stores farther and farther away from home as they continue closing stores. This kind of poor management and communication of promotions is unacceptable. The email (from WEDNESDAY, by the way) says 3 for 20. A correction would be to specify the top value ($15) of eligible titles. This isn't a correction: this is a change and it shouldn't be tolerated. I HATE that Dish bought this company and doesn't seem to give two shits about making it a solid (albeit smaller) chain again. It's sad.

I went to a BBV today that a lot of decent used games,so i got excited like it used to be with their sales.So i ask an employee about the sale,and he says oh that was only on certain titles and those sold out early this morning:roll:.I have no idea what games he could've been talking about,there were still a lot there that were $14.99.

[quote name='io']2 for $20, $14.99 and under? Yeah, it's not worth the gas to drive 20 miles RT to check the selection. Oh well, works for me - I can get real work done instead of running around to BBV stores ;).[/QUOTE]

You read my mind. There's a big difference between the old 1 mile round trip for 2 stores and the new 18 mile round trip for 1 store. I miss the good ol' days.

Thanks once again to Hawaiiboy for keeping us informed with the latest information.

[quote name='troy2007']I used to love Blockbuster, and I've supported them by keeping my rental business with them by moving to stores farther and farther away from home as they continue closing stores. This kind of poor management and communication of promotions is unacceptable. The email (from WEDNESDAY, by the way) says 3 for 20. A correction would be to specify the top value ($15) of eligible titles. This isn't a correction: this is a change and it shouldn't be tolerated. I HATE that Dish bought this company and doesn't seem to give two shits about making it a solid (albeit smaller) chain again. It's sad.[/QUOTE]

I completely agree on the 3 for 20 sale. That's not cool to change the sale on the day it is supposed to start from 3 games to 2. Had I known it was going to be 2 for 20, I would have stayed home.

[quote name='Velo214']i got lucky and got deathly hallows 2 for my daughters bday and smackdown vs raw 2011 to flip for 12 at bestbuy so its ok.[/QUOTE]
I had more than a few copies of Deathly Hallows from the last sale. Those were so easy to find at the start of the sale.

EDIT: I just checked my flip list from the last sale from BBV and most of the values to BB tanked....HARD.

Only decent ones left are :wii:Pokepark and :wii:Wii Party at $12 and $11 respectively. The rest are crap.:cry:

So unprofessional BlockBuster! Even if the email was a mistake they should have honored it. It's the same sale they have had before so it wasn't ridiculously cheap. It wouldn't have killed them to honor it but instead they alienated all their customers which will kill their business in the long run. Then they didn't even send out a correction, really bad management and marketing.

If I get two $9.99 games I would have to pay 2 cents extra? :lol: Stupid, stupid, stupid!

[quote name='Tropicat']So unprofessional BlockBuster! Even if the email was a mistake they should have honored it. It's the same sale they have had before so it wasn't ridiculously cheap. It wouldn't have killed them to honor it but instead they alienated all their customers which will kill their business in the long run. Then they didn't even send out a correction, really bad management and marketing.

If I get two $9.99 games I would have to pay 2 cents extra? :lol: Stupid, stupid, stupid![/QUOTE]
Thing is though, most of their customers are likely walk-ins that don't know a sale is going on unless they stop in, unlike those of us on CAG. So even though they changed the terms of the deal, most customers wouldn't have known that it was originally a 3/$20.

bread's done
Back