The "Dear God, Take-Two, No More Yukes" Wrestling Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='no_chocobo']
Claudio and American Dragon are the only reason I even watch, and by watch most of the time I mean fast forward with the DVR[/QUOTE]

Ooo, I like how you use their Pre WWE names. Thats so smart of you!

Raw was pretty dreadful last night aside from Punk/Jericho.. but it was originally planned to be worse:

The WWE App fan voting on last night's RAW was legit. RAW was originally laid out for CM Punk vs. Randy Orton in the main event. Daniel Bryan vs. Rey Mysterio was already scheduled as they didn't have faith in Rey winning the fan vote.

Wasn't paying attention last night. Were they expecting Orton to win a popular vote or something?

[quote name='ced']Wasn't paying attention last night. Were they expecting Orton to win a popular vote or something?[/QUOTE]

They had a 3 way vote between Orton, Jericho and Rey and the winner would face Punk.

[quote name='Clak']I know I'm going to regret this, but what does a 5XL wrestling fan look like? Kinda reminded of that Gabriel Iglesias levels of fatness bit.[/QUOTE]

B-word fat.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A8weDjGK5rA

[quote name='mykevermin']Quick, no googling: name the last 5 tag team champions, in order, starting with the most recent![/QUOTE]

Londrick
Los Guerreros
WGTT
British Bulldogs
Wild Samoans

I win!

[quote name='musha666']Ooo, I like how you use their Pre WWE names. Thats so smart of you![/QUOTE]
[quote name='mykevermin']mark.[/QUOTE]

I'm sorry for using the names that I knew them by when working on the same shows as them. I'll stop.

[quote name='no_chocobo']I'm sorry for using the names that I knew them by when working on the same shows as them. I'll stop.[/QUOTE]

Eh, don't be sorry. I still think of them by those names as well, especially since they were known by those names for years long before they were in WWE. I'm more inclined to think of Castagnoli as Cesaro since there was at least a little bit of thought put into that name. Daniel Bryan? Please.

Oh, and as far as marks, every single person in this thread is a mark of some degree.

[quote name='neocisco']B-word fat.[/QUOTE]

win!

[quote name='no_chocobo']I'm sorry for using the names that I knew them by when working on the same shows as them. I'll stop.[/QUOTE]

marrrrrrrrrrrk. markmarkmark. I don't refer to Santino as "Boris," because his name is fucking Santino.

Are you one of those guys who refers to CM Punk as "Phil" at times, too? :roll:

neo, yes, everyone is a mark. most of all, wrestlers.

[quote name='KaneRobot']No you don't. You forgot Demolition. To be fair though, so has WWE.[/QUOTE]

Legion Of Doom
Legion Of Doom
Dudleys
Dudleys
Steiners

[quote name='mitch079']Booker T mentions Axe all the time.[/QUOTE]

I pictured Ax's likeness on a can of body spray while reading that.

What would Smash be, an acne cream?

WWE officially confirmed today that Cena/Sheamus/Ryback vs The Shield will happen at Elimination Chamber. However, it's just a six man tag match. I think they're really missing an opportunity here. If they had it in the Chamber, it would give it a "War Games" feel, which I'd much rather see than just another tag match.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']WWE officially confirmed today that Cena/Sheamus/Ryback vs The Shield will happen at Elimination Chamber. However, it's just a six man tag match. I think they're really missing an opportunity here. If they had it in the Chamber, it would give it a "War Games" feel, which I'd much rather see than just another tag match.[/QUOTE]

I had the same thought re: War Games. Has there ever been an EC match that wasn't 6 individuals going for a title? It's a shame it's only been used for one thing, since it has other potential (as you point out).

[quote name='mykevermin']
Are you one of those guys who refers to CM Punk as "Phil" at times, too? :roll:
[/QUOTE]

No, because I never got to know him. I guess its a part of locker room etiquette that is hard to explain.

I just wrote out a long explanation of this, but then deleted it, I'll just shut up and stay on topic. I probably shouldn't explain the secret wrestler handshake either.... and no I'm not kidding. ;)

[quote name='Dr. Venkman']I pictured Ax's likeness on a can of body spray while reading that.

What would Smash be, an acne cream?[/QUOTE]

Smash-NBC1.jpg

[quote name='pitfallharry219']WWE officially confirmed today that Cena/Sheamus/Ryback vs The Shield will happen at Elimination Chamber. However, it's just a six man tag match. I think they're really missing an opportunity here. If they had it in the Chamber, it would give it a "War Games" feel, which I'd much rather see than just another tag match.[/QUOTE]

Done properly this could be close to what TNA does with their cage match with the teams. Only difference would be how after the last guy enters there would me no introduction of weapons.

I wish I understood the dissolving of the tag team division (again). Just a few months ago it could of been argued it was a real strength and now it's borderline dead. Not putting the belts on Rhodes Scholars and then having them break up was so fucking stupid, especially when it appears they are getting closer to breaking up Hell No. Rumors have also been running about PTP breaking up, if they break up honestly who is left? Primo and Epico are boring as hell, Rey and Sin Cara can't work long term with Rey's issues, I like the Usos look and talent but their current "gimmick" sucks balls... I mean WTF is left???

They've pissed on the Usos long enough to make them completely irrelevant. Pretty much what they did to Cryme Tyme (and any other seemingly credible tag team in the last 10 years).

The Ascension (NXT) had potential, but with the treatment of the tag division, I'm sure Conor O'Brian is glad that Cameron beat up that police officer, or else his career would've been pissed down the drain as well... before it even started.

[quote name='mykevermin']http://www.wwe.com/classics/wwe-hall-of-fame/bruno-sammartino-announcement-26089325

"fine, goddammit, quit bothering me!"[/QUOTE]

"Triple H contacted me and started telling me all the things that had changed and everything that was going on with WWE," Bruno said. "I started watching it after talking to him and when I saw it, I was very, very impressed."
:rofl: Yeah, they've changed for sure. I mean they've even got a wellness policy that you can't violate more than once if you're a low carder, if you're a top carder though well... we have other ways to make sure you're clean. Then there's the fact that we limit our poopoo, peepee jokes to once a week unless we're gonna drop a load of fake excrement all over the ring...
"I love the history of this business," Triple H said. "Without the history, there is no tomorrow.

So eloquent, so wellspoken. The future CEO of a billion dollar corporation... Just let that one sink in.

[quote name='cgarb84']WTF is left???[/QUOTE]

R-Truth and Little Jimmy

Also, why do they let BigShow talk? Its the single worst thing about watching WWE lately.... Actually just him in general. Why is it that he can one punch KO anyone around, but A. doesnt do that first thing every match and B. how is a "WMD" punch, and the other 20 punches per match he lands different?

[quote name='no_chocobo']R-Truth and Little Jimmy

Also, why do they let BigShow talk? Its the single worst thing about watching WWE lately.... Actually just him in general. Why is it that he can one punch KO anyone around, but A. doesnt do that first thing every match and B. how is a "WMD" punch, and the other 20 punches per match he lands different?[/QUOTE]

He doesn't put that extra "stank" on 'em like his WMD punch. :roll:

I don't know if anyone else gives a crap, but Mattel's Elite Series 19 of WWE figures should be rolling out to all Walmarts this week. Pretty solid series, including an old school HBK figure that I absolutely had to buy when I saw it in the store.

[quote name='HydroX']I don't know if anyone else gives a crap, but Mattel's Elite Series 19 of WWE figures should be rolling out to all Walmarts this week. Pretty solid series, including an old school HBK figure that I absolutely had to buy when I saw it in the store.[/QUOTE]

elite19_shawn_michaels_moc.jpg

Why? It's an okay figure, but nothing I would buy right away

Miss Elizabeth is in the set and apparently she's incredibly rare.. 1 per every 16 figures.. $35-$40 is the going rate on eBay and Amazon

I'm pretty sure Bruno is just at the point where he realizes his time here on Earth might be up soon and it's best for him to be remembered the way he wants to be. Same exact deal with Bret, except Bret has far too much ego.

That and HHH doesn't let his hubris get in the way of a good manipulation. Vince is all about the "grapefruits" whereas I can easily see HHH spouting off some BS just to say that he was the one who got Bruno to come back.

I'm extremely cynical about the whole situation since I've seen it too many times with Foley, Bret, Sable, etc.

JR wrote up a solid blog on Bruno and what he means to the business. Pretty good read explaining how Bruno was pretty much THE face of the northeast until Hogan. His inclusion in the HOF is impressive considering he's largely turned his back on the business in the last 20 years.

Some people just aren't cut out for the wrestling business. I don't mean the physicality or acting of it, just the sleaziness of it. The back stabbing, the double standards, getting outright screwed over just because you can be. It'd be like working with a pit of snakes every day.

[quote name='JJSP']JR wrote up a solid blog on Bruno and what he means to the business. Pretty good read explaining how Bruno was pretty much THE face of the northeast until Hogan. His inclusion in the HOF is impressive considering he's largely turned his back on the business in the last 20 years.[/QUOTE]

Find it below. Good Stuff.

The Bruno Sammartino video package, as I tweeted earlier in the day @JRsBBQ, I expected to be heavy duty and it was. Bruno's career IE body of work will never be replicated in today's marketplace within the genre. An eight YEAR run ON TOP in the #1 territory in the world is unfathomable if one gives that accomplishment any serious, intelligent thought. Students of the game 'get it' while squeaky wheel, attention seeking, Keyboard Warriors simply want to be defiant while refusing to acknowledge the career of a man like Bruno. Instead of celebrating a legit legend getting a WWE HOF nod after years of waiting by his long suffering fans and who, just recently, overcame philosophical differences with WWE, many who follow me on Twitter used Bruno's induction announcement as another vehicle to drive ad nauseam the Macho Man HOF questions of the day.

Really?

I realize that there is a generation gap as it relates to many fans between Bruno and Savage, even though their careers actually overlapped, but these are two separate entities with two, separate agendas. Older fans and fans especially those who had family growing up in the Northeast United States revere Bruno who was considered a "Sports God" to his fans. Bruno was just as big a celebrity as any professional athlete in the NE on any team during the Italian strongman's heyday....and still is to an entire generation of fans.

I can simply tell you that when I got in the business in 1974 that the goal of virtually every wrestler that I knew was to get booked in WWWF aka WWE and if said wrestler was a villain the ONLY goal was to get your 'run' with Bruno which guaranteed that one would earn big money. A few months run with Sammartino in WWWF would be more money than most wrestlers would make in a year of territory wrestling.

I recall how happy General Scandar Akbar was to get the WWWF call and leave the Oklahoma territory on occasion to go to the WWWF TV's and destroy some willing souls as Ak prepared for his title challenge against the Living Legend. Unfortunately, Bruno was severely injured against Stan Hansen and the Bruno vs. Akbar rivalry never happened.

Cowboy Bill Watts career as a legit main eventer was validated by Watts tag teaming with Bruno in the WWWF and Watts subsequent turn on his partner which resulted in Cowboy Bill Watts headlining Madison Square Garden vs. Bruno in only Bill's third year in the business. Bruno liked Bill and they sold out MSG three times versus each other in the 60's which was unheard of at the time as usually a talent only got 1-2 shots vs Bruno in the Garden.

It cannot be overstated how big it truly is for Bruno Sammartino to be inducted into the 2013 WWE Hall of Fame which makes this class, even if he was going in solo, the best WWE HOF class ever in my humble opinion and that includes my own class in 2007. I pray for good health so that I can join my Pittsburgh wife and attend the most special of nights, April 6, 2013 when the Steel City's own Bruno Sammartino once again sells out MSG but this time, I'm assuming, he will go on last which is something that the main eventers never did back in the day at MSG.

The potential projects that Bruno can be involved with in the future with WWE are virtually limitless and his mere presence adds massive credibility to what ever project is being marketed. I hope that I get to work with the Living Legend on something in the future. It would be a great honor, I assure you, for this fan who grew up not seeing Bruno wrestle but instead by reading the monthly, pro wrestling magazines which allowed my imagination to carry me from Westville, Oklahoma to far away arenas thanks to the photos that were utilized and the intriguing copy that accompanied the memorable photos. Bruno Sammartino was to pro wrestling what John Wayne was to western movies...the ultimate hero who always overcame the odds by doing things the old school way.

When I was younger, Bruno lived about two miles from me before I moved. I'd occasionally see him at the the grocery store and whatnot. I never said anything to him, but it was kind of surreal knowing who he was and what he'd done.

[quote name='Scorch']
elite19_shawn_michaels_moc.jpg

Why? It's an okay figure, but nothing I would buy right away

Miss Elizabeth is in the set and apparently she's incredibly rare.. 1 per every 16 figures.. $35-$40 is the going rate on eBay and Amazon[/QUOTE]

I'm a huge HBK fan, and I have been slowly buying some of the Attitude-era figures (I only have Bret Hart, Diesel and HBK). Plus I absolutely love how great of a job Mattel did on the HBK tights.

Miss Elizabeth is only in case set B, which is apparently only available in Target stores as of right now -- if they even got their cases yet. Walmart is getting case set A for right now, which has everyone in it except for Liz.

I haven't liked a line of wrestling figures since the WWF Hasbro line. Every series since then has been serious hit or miss. If it's not a horrid head "scan", it's an awful body mold. The female figures have it the worst, I have seen maybe two that looked like actual women, the rest look like Taker's ex-wife with facepaint.

And then there's the issue of articulation. This doesn't apply to the Hasbro figures obviously but if you are going to pose or showcase or hell even let someone play with a figure (gasp!), shouldn't it be able to, you know, move his legs? The last 3-5 years of figures make Hogan look like a member of Cirque du Soleil by comparison.

[quote name='Dr. Venkman']I haven't liked a line of wrestling figures since the WWF Hasbro line. Every series since then has been serious hit or miss. If it's not a horrid head "scan", it's an awful body mold. The female figures have it the worst, I have seen maybe two that looked like actual women, the rest look like Taker's ex-wife with facepaint.

And then there's the issue of articulation. This doesn't apply to the Hasbro figures obviously but if you are going to pose or showcase or hell even let someone play with a figure (gasp!), shouldn't it be able to, you know, move his legs? The last 3-5 years of figures make Hogan look like a member of Cirque du Soleil by comparison.[/QUOTE]

The Mattel elite line of figures is pretty legit. Some head scans are off, but most are spot on. Articulation on the Mattel elite line isn't an issue, either. You might be referring to the basics, which are god awful.

With TNA Impact Wrestling taking their show on the road, WWE has began contacting a number of major arenas to put holds on them for future dates. At least one person within WWE thinks that if TNA begins going on the road every Thursday, WWE may need to change their touring schedule to Thursday, Friday and Saturday for at least one of the brands.

There is internal talk that WWE will put some arena dates on hold to make sure TNA doesn't get into them. WWE also may be enforcing some of their non-compete clauses so TNA can't run in the same buildings they do.
WTF? I thought they didn't see TNA as a competitor but they're pulling this crap. Sounds like they're treating arenas like talent. So if they "future endeavor" an arena, does mean they can't compete for another promotion for 90 days?

Kinda reminds the WCW/WWF days, since there towns where certain arenas would be exclusive to one promotion. Like the arenas near me, where one was where all the WWE stuff happened, while the other was used by WCW & ECW when they were in town.

Last edited by a moderator:
I remember the first time I saw a WWF show advertised for The Omni in Atlanta. It just blew my mind. The equivalent would have been WCW doing a show in MSG.

If competition really matters to you, keep your money in your pocket and don't go when WWE comes to town. Go see TNA when they do.

there are enough venues in the US, TNA will be fine. Still makes WWE pigdogs for shying away from direct market competition.

[quote name='HydroX']I'm a huge HBK fan, and I have been slowly buying some of the Attitude-era figures (I only have Bret Hart, Diesel and HBK). Plus I absolutely love how great of a job Mattel did on the HBK tights.

Miss Elizabeth is only in case set B, which is apparently only available in Target stores as of right now -- if they even got their cases yet. Walmart is getting case set A for right now, which has everyone in it except for Liz.[/QUOTE]

This shit is why I gave up on collecting figures. Don't see why they can't just make a reasonable amount so anybody who wants one has a decent shot without having to resort to Ebay or sites like Ringside Collectibles and their overinflated prices

[quote name='mykevermin']there are enough venues in the US, TNA will be fine.[/QUOTE]

I'd imagine that TNA would be targeting smaller venues than WWE anyway, nothing looks worse on TV than an empty arena.

[quote name='no_chocobo']I'd imagine that TNA would be targeting smaller venues than WWE anyway, nothing looks worse on TV than an empty arena.[/QUOTE]

There's ways to squeeze people in the right place. TNA should offer low ticket prices for starters - get people in the habit of going to their shows. "TNA is in town? *Of course* I'm going!" Travel costs will likely be helped by running two shows in a row every other week. Emphasize the interactive nature of their shows (photos w/, meet and greet, etc.). Emphasizing fan involvement is a must, and promotion as well. TNA ran a show here a few months ago and I didn't know about it until a few days later.

After all this time, after all their mistakes, I still want to see TNA succeed, I want to support them - I want there to be competition. So if they come around, I'll go. But they need to grow fans, they can't rely on people who are already invested in and follow wrestling to be their only fan base.

[quote name='mykevermin']If competition really matters to you, keep your money in your pocket and don't go when WWE comes to town. Go see TNA when they do.

there are enough venues in the US, TNA will be fine. Still makes WWE pigdogs for shying away from direct market competition.[/QUOTE]

Yup. I didn't go to Raw this past Monday but it's a pretty safe bet that I'll go to another TNA show when they come back through. There are multiple venue options in the metro Atlanta area, not just Philips Arena. Even WWE in the past has optioned to not use Philips and go to Gwinnett Arena instead.

I absolutely love the changes TNA has been making this year. Less PPV's, making the remaining ones actual events. Now sending Impact out on tour starting after Lockdown, another strong improvement. The Impact Zone is great for a TV studio, but in the end it's still a TV studio (with a large portion of it's audience being freebies).

I think TNA should run the venues ECW did or the type of venues like WCW would use for Sat night tapings.. the ones that hold 2-4k people, if those are still even around. I know I used to go watch them in Rome and Dalton GA back in the day and also in Montgomery, Al at their civic center.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back