The General 360 Owners/Buyers FAQ Thread (Updated 1/15/10)

I have Turtle Beach X1's. They work well, and you should be able to find them in the sub $30 range if you keep your eye out for a sale.

[quote name='glockant']i still have these after 2 years and they work great..[/quote]
How well do they work online though? From what I head, voices comes in quiet, so you have to turn the in game volume sliders down, then crank the headset volume way up.

[quote name='moojuice']How well do they work online though? From what I head, voices comes in quiet, so you have to turn the in game volume sliders down, then crank the headset volume way up.[/quote]

sorry, I don't use them for online gaming, only single player.

[quote name='moojuice']How well do they work online though? From what I head, voices comes in quiet, so you have to turn the in game volume sliders down, then crank the headset volume way up.[/quote]

I have these, and as you said, you have to adjust the volume sliders. There are universal volume sliders in the 360 Guide Menu though, so it's not like you have to do it for each game individually. It's not a big deal.

I use them online and they're great. Some people mention that there is no mic mute function, but you can just unplug the mic real quick when you want to mute. Apparently the mic sounds good too, according to what some of my online friends have said.

There's volume sliders for game volume? I thought there was only a slider for chat volume.

Ediy: Yeah, just looked, not seeing any universal sliders for sound, minus chat volume, which is already maxed anyways.

[quote name='V4oLDbOY']I am thinking about getting a tennis game, the demos for Virtua Tennis 3 and Top spin 2 were pretty entertaining. But what series is the better one of the two, iyo? I was hoping that the reviews for Top spin 2 and virtua tennis 3 would have been more different but, they were 75 to 80 on gamerankings. And the reviews themselves dont help much either.

Is it worth it to wait for Top Spin 3, or better to just buy one of the older games since they are a lot cheaper?[/quote]I like VT3 better and a lot of people seem to like it better as well for some reason. I like TS2 as well. It's just I've been a big VT fan from the start and I like/am used to the vibe. They're both fun so I'd say just get whichever one you find cheap because you'll have a good tennis game either way. Or both.

VT3 is 5 at sears and kmart and target. I think TS2 has been 7 at Kmart for awhile.

I'm actually considering a 360 this fall for Infinite Undiscovery (sic), Star Ocean 4 and Tales of Vesperia.

The problem is I generally dislike FPS and sports games.

I have a video in AVI format which is a format that is supposed to work for streaming, however whenever I try and play it on my Xbox 360, it says it is an unsupported codec. I have a video converter and I was wondering what I should convert the video to in order for it to work. Below are my list of options.

avimn2.jpg

All of those are AVI they are just different forms of it. If there is a different format you think I should try please tell me.

Thanks

No sure if this is the right thread or not.... I'd like to move up to the 120 GB HDD but find it hard to spend the $179.xx + tax. Yeah, I can find it on-line and get tax-free and small shipping but I'm still chunkin' out about $180. Where on CAG can I find a thread that would track the price of this drive? Rumor is that a larger drive will be out "soon" but I can't seem to find anything solid that makes that anything more than a rumor.

[quote name='RamHawk']No sure if this is the right thread or not.... I'd like to move up to the 120 GB HDD but find it hard to spend the $179.xx + tax. Yeah, I can find it on-line and get tax-free and small shipping but I'm still chunkin' out about $180. Where on CAG can I find a thread that would track the price of this drive? Rumor is that a larger drive will be out "soon" but I can't seem to find anything solid that makes that anything more than a rumor.[/quote]

I advise you wait til e3, at least. You never know what they are going to announce and it's always better to be safe than sorry ;)

By the way, Amazon may have it as their dotd again as they've been regenerating them lately (it was priced at $150 last time)

[quote name='Foo228']I advise you wait til e3, at least. You never know what they are going to announce and it's always better to be safe than sorry ;)

By the way, Amazon may have it as their dotd again as they've been regenerating them lately (it was priced at $150 last time)[/quote]

Thanks Foo. That'll give me a good start. $150 isn't bad either since I can probably get free ship and no sales tax from Amazon.

[quote name='Fatal Snipe']I have a video in AVI format which is a format that is supposed to work for streaming, however whenever I try and play it on my Xbox 360, it says it is an unsupported codec. I have a video converter and I was wondering what I should convert the video to in order for it to work. Below are my list of options.

avimn2.jpg

All of those are AVI they are just different forms of it. If there is a different format you think I should try please tell me.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Any of the Divx or Xvid ones will work to stream to the 360.

can we get a guide to properly encoding video for streaming on the 360?

Also is the color washout normal when streaming video from a pc to a 360?

[quote name='spoo']Any of the Divx or Xvid ones will work to stream to the 360.[/quote]

I tried both of them and neither of them worked. Could it be a problem with the video itself? I can watch it on the computer and I am pretty sure it is not a problem with the converter.

Im just wondering if anyone else has this problem. I was playing my 360 with no problems. I turned it off for about an hour to watch tv. When I turned it back on the screen was black. I restarted the console and re-plugged the cables multiple times but I still get no picture. The audio is clear. Is anyone else experiencing this?

[quote name='Danil ACE']do you have little white dots moving across the black screen?[/quote]
Its plain black
[quote name='LilPaintballer']check the hd/sd switch.[/quote]
there is no switch because i bought the arcade version of the console

Well, tonight after playing some halo, My controller somehow broke its analog stick. My xbox 360, is long out of warranty, so support wont fix it. Does anyone on cag know how I could get this fixed somehow, or of anything I can do?

So I used to run my Xbox 360 directly into my computer using an ethernet cable. This computer has a wireless adapter on it, so I can get internet. I used to have it to where I could stream all of the music videos and pictures from my computer onto my Xbox, and also be able to get onto XBL this way.

I just got my computer back from my brother in law, he reformated it. I connect my Xbox back into the computer, and after I download WMP 11, I can stream everything fine. Only problem is, I can no longer get onto XBL. Is there anyway you guys can help me with this? I appreciate it.

I have been doing a lot of googling and have not yet been able to find a satisfactory comparison between the 360 and PS3 where DVD upscaling is concerned.

Does anyone know where I can see or read about a comparison? Does anyone know, off hand, with factual information, which one does a better job?

And yes I am referring to a 360 using the HDMI/VGA, I know it blows chunks through component.

I bought an Arcade pack last week and one of my USB ports on the front is loose.

Has anyone else had this problem, will it break eventually ?

A little behind in times, but I decided to purchase a 360 Pro!

What do you recommend my first purchases be?

So far:
360PRO
GTAIV
Madden08
THPG
Mass Effect
Assaisan's Creed
R6LV2

Am I covered from RRoD without paying the warranty($50 warranty card was inserted in with guides). Can I upgrade my Silver Live to Gold Live for a smaller fee than purchasing Gold seperate?

Any help would be great so I can enjoy this brilliant machine with ease...

Hey all,
I bought a new 360 pro at eb recently, and when I got it the hinge on the usb cover was broken. Not a biggie, but after dropping around $400 on something, I'd like it to not come broken. I returned it to eb, and they were quite helpful, and exchanged the 360 for me.
Now with the new 360 controller, the d-pad is messed up. The whole d-pad moves around as one. It's kinda hard to explain, but I can push the d-pad to one direction, and it will touch the side of the wall, but it won't push down. Also, when I push the d-pad down sometimes, it doesn't register.
Can I just go back to eb, tell them this, and exchange it for a new controller?
Thanks in advance.

360 controllers have shittyass D-pads anyway, but you should be able to exchange it if you say it's not working right.

[quote name='SpazX']360 controllers have shittyass D-pads anyway, but you should be able to exchange it if you say it's not working right.[/quote]
The first one was great, but this one is trash.
Would I have to exchange the whole system again?

[quote name='TehMuff1nM4n']Nope, that is how the 360 d-pad is! :lol:[/quote]
B..b...but the first one was perfect, and this one can't even select things on the menu!

I would return it. The last thing I would want is to be playing a game requiring the use of the D-pad and have it fail at a crucial moment during gameplay.

[quote name='chasemurata']I would return it. The last thing I would want is to be playing a game requiring the use of the D-pad and have it fail at a crucial moment during gameplay.[/quote]
Can't tell if that was sarcastic or not, but I'm just going to go into eb with my receipt tomorrow and ask for a new one.

[quote name='Rig']Didn't sound like sarcasm at all.

I would return it as well.[/quote]
Just making sure ;)
Will I need the console box? Or can I just bring in the controller with the receipt?

[quote name='PaddyTheChump']Just making sure ;)
Will I need the console box? Or can I just bring in the controller with the receipt?[/quote]

I'd call them and ask. My guess is that they'd want the whole thing back (console and everything).

Ok so just recently wmpnetwk.exe starting taking up alot of the pc memory and is really slowing down my computer. Also the video content that I'm sharing from my pc folder is not refreshing the movie titles on the xbox 360 dashboard. I've tried many other alternative solution such as Tversity but no luck and also tried winamp remote but the video quality from thier codecs are really blurry.

[quote name='SpazX']360 controllers have shittyass D-pads anyway, but you should be able to exchange it if you say it's not working right.[/quote]

It's actually easy to fix. You need to sand down the inner ring on the hole the d-pad is mounted in. There's just not enough travel for directions to register clean.

Hey guys,
I'm getting some loud noises when i load up a game and an occasional message that a game is unplayable. I assume the dvd drive is dying, I was just wondering if anyone had any tips for me to get MS to fix it for free, I'm about 1 month out of warranty and I dont feel like paying $150.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, and if the mods think this should go into the RRoD topic, feel free to merge it.

I think my drive is dying, what to do?

I was expecting this to be a topic requesting relationship advice, somehow misplaced in the 360 forum.

[quote name='GenghisJohn']Hey guys,
I'm getting some loud noises when i load up a game and an occasional message that a game is unplayable. I assume the dvd drive is dying, I was just wondering if anyone had any tips for me to get MS to fix it for free, I'm about 1 month out of warranty and I dont feel like paying $150.

Any suggestions would be appreciated, and if the mods think this should go into the RRoD topic, feel free to merge it.[/quote]
Well first I suggest you hit her with a golf club then slap her across the face a few times then O wait were talking about an xbox 360 :roll:

bread's done
Back