The Guild Wars/2 Topic *Its Out All the Way Now!*

[quote name='crystalklear64']I just fired it up again today. Its so hard to play GW once you've beaten it >< Gotta set goals for yourself to keep motivated.. like right now I want to get all the armor sets for a certain character >.>[/quote]
That's what I do. Right now I'm trying to get every skill for my ranger.

[quote name='greendc27']Anyone know what the exclusive area that Guardsman Zingpah talks about after you pass the game?[/QUOTE]
Uh.. I thought it was just the area in the Kaineng city that was above everyone else (above the Raisu arch entrance). You can go there via the portal at the end of the.. uh.. long ass corridor you go down when you beat the game.

I just wanted to ask what campaign is a better starting point for new players. I got the first one months ago, but didn't get past level 10 before I lost myself to WoW. I was looking for something new to play before the WoW expansion, and I 'm curious about whether I should stick with what I have or use some Trade-in credit on Factions.

Also, if there were any Faqs or guides for new players as to what thebest class to learn first, finding groups and so on, I would appreciate it.

That depends.. Prophecies aka regular guild wars, give you a long time to learn your class and is a longer game, so if you had to buy it.. it'd be more time for money. However, since you already have it, you've gotten to level 10 and you can gauge if that was fast enough or too slow. In Factions, you level up so much faster, probably because anet wanted to add as much content as they could for veteran players. As a new player, even though you'll hit level 20 faster, I could definitly see the enemies as being overwhelming, especially when you first leave the "newbie island".

Something else to think about. There are ALOT of newbies still in Factions, so you'll feel right at home ;). The general opinion is that Factions is a letdown in terms of content when directly compared to what Prophecies has to offer. With this in mind, if you decide to get Factions and beat it, and then play the original.. you'll be happy with how much more you can do in Prophecies. Whereas if you beat Prophcies first, you'll be dissapointed with how small Factions is in comparison.

Another thing to consider is that Guild Wars: Nightfall will be coming out probably within the next month or 2, so expect a price drop on Factions then. So... if I was in your position and had the knowledge I do now.. I would say beat Prophecies before you buy Factions. Maybe Nightfall will be out then and if you liked the original, then you can pick up Factions on the cheap.

Thanks for the advice. I think I'll just stick with Proficies for now and try to make my way through it while I wait for a price drop. From what I've seen I think the art style of Factions looks pretty sweet, but why move on when I havent finsihed what I have?

My level 10 is a Warrior/Monk, and just today I find out thats the noob class and there are tons of them running around, haha. I dont really remember how to play him much so I was thinking of starting over anyway. Any advice as to what to maybe pick up? I was thinking Ranger, but not sure what goes well with it and will help me learn the game a little better.

Any advice on a good starting character? Mainly for damage but will help me learn to group well...

Thx for all the help BTW.

Later on in the game you can change your secondary proffession so It really isn't that important that you start over. Personally I thought the game was kind of slow until you get out of Ascalon, mainly because you need to do most of the quests to get the skills so you don't have to pay for them later.

Actually, you can change your secondary profession for 500g in the Temple of Balthazar whenever you want now.

As for a damage dealing character.. the easiest would be a fire elementalist. Most groups always want an echo nuker, so you'll want to start off as a mesmer 2ndary. If you get into PvP you can switch to Monk secondary and be a support healer.

If you want to be able to be useful in groups and PvP late in the game, then start up a necromancer. They can deal crazy damage with Spiteful Spirit, you can run blood magic to be a battery or orders necro, or you can be minion master which every group seems to want nowdays. Elementalist will be easiest but they don't require any skills in terms of learning anything beyond.. this spell will cause exhaustion, so use it sparringly. Necro will require you to learn enemy placement if you're SS, nothing if you're battery/support, and hardly anything if you're MM except.. raise minions, use blood of master to heal them.

[quote name='crystalklear64']Actually, you can change your secondary profession for 500g in the Temple of Balthazar whenever you want now.

As for a damage dealing character.. the easiest would be a fire elementalist. Most groups always want an echo nuker, so you'll want to start off as a mesmer 2ndary. If you get into PvP you can switch to Monk secondary and be a support healer.

If you want to be able to be useful in groups and PvP late in the game, then start up a necromancer. They can deal crazy damage with Spiteful Spirit, you can run blood magic to be a battery or orders necro, or you can be minion master which every group seems to want nowdays. Elementalist will be easiest but they don't require any skills in terms of learning anything beyond.. this spell will cause exhaustion, so use it sparringly. Necro will require you to learn enemy placement if you're SS, nothing if you're battery/support, and hardly anything if you're MM except.. raise minions, use blood of master to heal them.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for all the useful advice. I bought Factions today on a whim, and I'm liking it a little better than Prophecies so far, I just like the asian themed art style I think. Anyway, I started a Necro for Minion Master and and Elementalist to play around with and see which one i like better. I should be playing most of tomorrow, so if anyone is on, and feels like helping out or answering questions for a complete n00b, my names are listed below.

Elem/Me - Teck Tonic
Necro/Mo - Black Morass (yeah, you can see my WoW roots there)
Xfire: algebratwo

Ok, so I got all my characters to level 3 all by myself, but one thing I've noticed is that this game really pushes you to use henchman moreso than the Prophecies campaign.

I've been playing the elementalist and even on the first mission when I have to kill the level 5, I couldnt do it without a Warrior and a Monk helping me out. So should I pretty much have a henchman or two following me around for the length of the first island? Won't this cut deeply into my exp/loot though? At what point should I start grouping with other players? Can I run through most of the game with henchmen and then start looking for other players after I max out level 20?

Haha, should I just start out my own "Jalu6 needs Guild Wars advice" topic?

As always, thanks for the help.

You can start teaming up with other players right away if you want. As far as cuttting into loot you won't get anything that great on the beginner's island anyway. I grouped up with my assassin right away and was still at level 20 by the time I reached the mainland, but I like to do every mission. The game tends to be much easier and more fun if you play with other people. They also might be able to teach you some things you might not have figured out yet.

[quote name='jalu6']Ok, so I got all my characters to level 3 all by myself, but one thing I've noticed is that this game really pushes you to use henchman moreso than the Prophecies campaign.

I've been playing the elementalist and even on the first mission when I have to kill the level 5, I couldnt do it without a Warrior and a Monk helping me out. So should I pretty much have a henchman or two following me around for the length of the first island? Won't this cut deeply into my exp/loot though? At what point should I start grouping with other players? Can I run through most of the game with henchmen and then start looking for other players after I max out level 20?

Haha, should I just start out my own "Jalu6 needs Guild Wars advice" topic?

As always, thanks for the help.[/QUOTE]
As I'm sure you are figuring out, Guild Wars is certainly not meant to be a solo game. In Prophecies, the Pre-Searing was good for learning the basics, but bad at promoting a key element, partying. Factions goes for a more realistic gameplay approach and lets you know early on that you WILL need a party. The only soloing to be done is farming one particular type of monster, or in a specific case of a 55 or 600 hp monk.. any monster that doesn't strip your enchantments. Also, level 3 for the first mission is kinda low. Try to keep your level even with the level of the henchmen. They're supposed to be like another team member, equal in usefulness, not moreso than yourself.

News release for Guild Wars Nightfall

August 1, 2006 (BELLEVUE, WA) — ArenaNet® and NCsoft® today announced a brand new retail package which will soon give Guild Wars® players their first look inside the exciting upcoming release, Guild Wars NightfallTM. The announcement comes on the heels of the Guild Wars Nightfall PVP Preview Event where players were able to create characters using the new Nightfall professions.

The Guild Wars Nightfall Prerelease Bonus Pack is expected to hit store shelves on September 15 and will feature:

Guild Wars "Play Now" key for a 10-hour/14-day trial* of Guild Wars PropheciesTM and Guild Wars FactionsTM.
Guild Wars Nightfall Bonus Key, providing one additional character slot for a Guild Wars Nightfall account, as well as two exclusive items for the new professions—a Firey Sunspear of Shelter for the Paragon and an Icy Soulbreaker of Enchanting for the Dervish
Mini strategy guide, concept art, screenshots, in-game renders of characters and items, preview trailer, wallpapers, lore, quick reference card, music, and more!

Guild Wars Nightfall takes place on the continent of Elona, Land of the Golden Sun. It is a nation comprised of three great provinces; The island province of Istan is the home of a vibrant people who live among the monuments of an ancient empire. The military province of Kourna, under the command of its great leader, Warmarshal Varesh, hugs the shores of the mighty river Elon. And in the rugged lands to the north, the Princes of Vabbi rule from their opulent citadels. Elona is a land of wealth and power, protected by its champions, the Order of the Sunspears. In Guild Wars Nightfall, Elona has fallen under the shadow of an evil, outcast god. Against the encroaching desolation of an infernal realm, the people of Elona will need more than a hero to save them, they will need a hero to lead them. . .for nightfall is at hand.

[quote name='crystalklear64']As I'm sure you are figuring out, Guild Wars is certainly not meant to be a solo game. In Prophecies, the Pre-Searing was good for learning the basics, but bad at promoting a key element, partying. Factions goes for a more realistic gameplay approach and lets you know early on that you WILL need a party. The only soloing to be done is farming one particular type of monster, or in a specific case of a 55 or 600 hp monk.. any monster that doesn't strip your enchantments. Also, level 3 for the first mission is kinda low. Try to keep your level even with the level of the henchmen. They're supposed to be like another team member, equal in usefulness, not moreso than yourself.[/QUOTE]

Well, once I figured out never to leave town without a party, I'm doing quite well. I'm level 9, and I just got my second professsion, Mesmer as suggested. I've also been checking out the Wiki for some quest info and collectors locations so I'm trying to put together some better gear.

I guess I still had the WoW metality of getting most of your experience from grinding and monsters, and quest rewards were just a bonus. Here, you get a ton of exp from handing in quests, so killing monsters seems secondary. I gained almost an entire level just from handing in the second profession quest.

One thing about gear though. I got the knack of salvaging and creating mats and all, but I keep seeing these level 5 warriors in some crazy gear. I'm assuming this comes from having mulitple characters and passing down materials? All my gear is mostly starter gear still.

So did anyone else do the elite missions this weekend? It was pretty frustrating since there were a lot of bad groups but once I got in a good one there were tons of good drops. People in my group got a rune of superior vigor and a perfect zodiac bow. I got Urgoz's longbow.

There was a pretty major update today, the assassins were given a nice buff. They've also slightly changed the faces on many of the characters. Also, according to pcgamer there will be new skills for the assassin and ritualist in Nightfall.

Yea I will and started playing a little

After my WOW binge, witch Iam not going to go back to, I think Iam going to start playing this game now.

I love the scenery in this one, although I wish that they'd allow more customization in each Guild Wars so I could look kinda like myself, skin color, face, etc. But I know that they're trying to put in this civilization type thing. I didn't play this much at all cause my comp sucks, I just wanted to check it out. When I get a new comp my plan for the summer if I'm bored is to go through all the guild war games....if they don't eventually bore me that is.

Yep

Just not alot of time to get into it. Playing with the new Hero system seems kinda neat. Heros work with the skills you had already unlocked and you can set their secondary profession. There are also Hero specific skills, but I have not gone that far yet.

A few changes make the game more enjoyable. One example is when you go to dye a piece of armor, another window pops up to show what it would look like if you dyed it. You can drag 3 more dyes to that window to see the combinations you can create. Saves alot of trouble. :)

One thing I noticed that I didn't really like is that you can't mix jobs from the Xpacs. You can't have a Dervish/assassin or any such combo.

[quote name='Kayden']One thing I noticed that I didn't really like is that you can't mix jobs from the Xpacs. You can't have a Dervish/assassin or any such combo.[/quote] I think you can if you bring the dervish over to factions, I have all 3 games I'll try it when I get mine far enough.

[quote name='snotnose_colossal']Anyone interested in teaming up for a few missions. I find since they included heroes, its a lot tougher to get into groups.[/quote]

You can breeze through the game w/heroes and henchies. I did that all the way through until the last few missions. It's doable but there's a lot of micro management needed for those. Plus you can setup your hero to any 2ndary you want..so that's a plus.

I'm game to team up w/anyone if you need help w/a quest...Undying Syn is my name. I'm usually on around 130am PDT though since I work nights. Sometimes I'll be on in the afternoon.

As for the combos and other areas...you can bring them over as long as you have the mission. You need to be a certain rank/level until you can do that.

[quote name='whitereflection']Nightfall is $29.90 now as part of GoGamer's 48-hour Madness promotion.[/quote]

Wow what a deal, if i didnt already have the game, id get it. Definatly worth picking up if you dont have nightfall!

[quote name='whitereflection']Nightfall is $29.90 now as part of GoGamer's 48-hour Madness promotion.[/quote]

:cry: I just spent my last money on Gears of War.... I think I'll probably get it for christmas.

Gogamer's $29.90 deal on Nightfall is back. Share and enjoy!

-HM

I'd like to start playing again, but the fan on my motherboard isn't working right so if I play for about 10 minutes it'll freeze on me and I'll have to turn off my computer and turn it back on. I plan on picking up Nightfall soon, and I hope to fix the fan problem as soon as I have the time.... If you find a guild crystal could you send me an invite to it? I want to start playing heavily again this coming summer...

I would but the lack of money makes that difficult :cry:

I'll get the regular from Amazon for $30 in a couple months....

Besides, if I got the collectors it would look wierd next to the boxes for the other two games.

Wow, I didn't know people still played this jewel of a game. Unfortunately, I only have prophecies right now. I'll just wait for nightfall to drop in price to get it. I have a N/Mo lvled up all the way. I also have a W/E on the way.

Would anyone with the original wanna help a newb learn to play sometime? I tried playing before and it was just too much without having someone explain things...I feel stupid but oh well. PM me or something if anyone has enough time, I'd be very greatful.

[quote name='Renegade_Zero']I'd like to start playing again, but the fan on my motherboard isn't working right so if I play for about 10 minutes it'll freeze on me and I'll have to turn off my computer and turn it back on. I plan on picking up Nightfall soon, and I hope to fix the fan problem as soon as I have the time.... If you find a guild crystal could you send me an invite to it? I want to start playing heavily again this coming summer...[/QUOTE]
Will do. I'm currently looking for one myself. It seems like a lot of the guilds are consolidating, not as many new guilds and more recruiting by old guilds, so I think chances are good of finding something decent.

I just ordered Nightfall from GoGamer, so I should be back on and playing here by the end of next week or so. I would love to play with some of the CAGs that play this game so either shoot me a PM or send me a friend request on X-fire.

bread's done
Back