The Half Price Books Thread

BudzMcGee

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
As a big fan of Half Price Books I thought a thread discussing the various discounts, promotions and of course our finds was more than well deserved.

All deals posted in the OP and in this thread are YMMV by nature. Some things have universal prices (or damn near) but still.

Always remember to check our local store's page on the HPB.com website to see if it has any additional specials (such as comic Wednesdays)!

Current Promotions:

Upcoming Promotions:

Miscellaneous contest and other deals:

Educator's Discount: If you are an educator you can apply for the Educators Discount Card to save 10% every day at HPB. http://www.hpb.com/community/educators/

Notable Deals (Items that seem to be more universal):
This is not to add every single descent deal found at HPB, but to post ones that seem to be more universal (i.e. items marked with SuperBuy rather than clearance or is reported in multiple places).

Last edited by a moderator:
Wound up finding complete copies of Dead Space and Bully for 360 for $8 and $12. Good price for a couple increasingly harder to find games. Also snagged a Diablo III calendar for $0.80 because I never did pick up a 2014 calendar.

Got a blue Game Boy Pocket and a dandelion Game Boy Color for $16.90 yesterday. First time seeing a PS Vita there as well, marked at 124.99

10th-16th sale coupons just went out.

Typical 40% Mon/Tues, 20% Wed/Thur, 30% Fri/Sat, 50% Sun
I haven't seen or heard anything. Can you post the coupons? Looks like they are doing a spring coupon event but odd that they haven't really said anything.

With most my friends gone for Spring Break, I'll be making the Half Price rounds at least a couple times this week

The codes/UPC's are never one time use with HPB. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me, but I've never seen one time use ones.

Is this a regional thing? My mailed coupons arrived today and they say March 17-23 (which is a week after)
Interesting...

Not sure what to put in the OP then. I'm also on their mailing list and always get coupons and haven't gotten anything for either week. Must be regional or something. If the coupons don't say valid only at a certain location that might mean they are good anywhere though (this has happened before), which is actually kind of awesome because it means the stores won't be as picked over in most places since most people won't have the coupons. That is if someone is willing to post them.

The codes/UPC's are never one time use with HPB. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me, but I've never seen one time use ones.

Interesting...

Not sure what to put in the OP then. I'm also on their mailing list and always get coupons and haven't gotten anything for either week. Must be regional or something. If the coupons don't say valid only at a certain location that might mean they are good anywhere though (this has happened before), which is actually kind of awesome because it means the stores won't be as picked over in most places since most people won't have the coupons. That is if someone is willing to post them.
mine mailed coupons is the same march 17 through 23rd just received them today

hmm...I also did not receive any coupons for this week...neither mailed nor via email....but the ones that are posted do work

My store initially wasn't going to accept the "early" coupon, but it did work when they scanned it.

Still, I would say YMMV and suggest not trying to use it multiple times if the store doesn't actually have the sale going on.

Do I want a Wii for $25? I kinda do, except I'd be getting it more for Gamecube games than Wii games and they're all pretty pricey...

Just wanted to chime in that these do work, at least here in Iowa. Picked up the Alien Quadrilogy for $12 after coupon. Initally it didn't go through, but the cashier must've typed something in wrong - got it on the second try.

HPB does occasionally do coupons in certain areas that work all over. Been a while since they have, but as I said before, these are the best times. Only places like this where the coupons are shared will people know the sale is even going on in most areas.  

I can also confirm that these coupons posted do work. I live in Illinois and I never got any notification of these coupons whatsoever, but the coupons scanned perfectly and I was able to get a relatively cheap copy of The Walking Dead book one graphic novel.

HPB does occasionally do coupons in certain areas that work all over. Been a while since they have, but as I said before, these are the best times. Only places like this where the coupons are shared will people know the sale is even going on in most areas.
They usually distribute these types of coupons when there is a new store opening in certain areas, and only give them out to people in that state/region, but the coupons are universal anyways, and can be used at any HPB store, so I don't know why they don't just give them to everyone. It's basically their way of getting foot traffic into the new stores, but I think it would work better just to get people into the stores.

Just use the 20% one at two different stores. I got some great deals, definitely going to be shopping here more.

At the first store I found a complete Professor Layton and the Curious Village for only 11.99 with coupon (been looking for a good price on this forever), a sealed Alan Wake guide for 3.99, and NBA 2K3 for GameCube for 0.99. At the next store I found a complete Rocket Slime for the DS for 7.99 with coupon and Gunpey for psp for 0.99.

I scored pretty big today at HPB.  Got Nier for 11.99 with 20% coupon and Ghostbusters for 9.99.  Both were like New complete for PS3.

I also got the Uncharted 3 CE guide for 9.99 in like new condition.   Been wanting to try Ghostbusters for a while but it's around $50 used on Amazon. 

Picked up a white psp 1000 that was marked 45.00 b4 coupon. The thing is i never remember a white psp 1000 coming out in NA. I was right - it was japanese. After testing it and finding this out, along with also seeing the battery no longer holds a charge, the guy marked it down to 10 bucks; at that point I couldnt say no.

Also after leaving it plugged in all night, the battery magically started working, even  though it said it wasnt charging and the orange light wasnt coming on. Lucked out big time.

Not sure if its 2 weeks of coupons or just a regional thing.  I would call the local half price and see if they are honoring both.

Not sure if its 2 weeks of coupons or just a regional thing. I would call the local half price and see if they are honoring both.
I explained this week's coupon on the last page, but basically they have those coupons on occasions when there are new store openings in certain regions, and they do it to try to get foot traffic into those new stores, but the coupons are universal, and not just for the stores in those regions.

It just so happen to coincide with the coupons for next week this time, but the weekly coupons have been popping up here and there in the past even though there isn't a nationwide sale going on, but have always been universal.

So yes, the coupons for this week will work as well even if the region you're in may not know about it since the store opening may not even be in the same state, but the coupons work just the same.

The only issue with the regional coupons is that they are not distributed to everyone, so only if people report them on CAG in certain regions then they will be available for all to use.

I've reported some in the past when there were new stores opening in my state, but no new stores since then, so I haven't received any of those coupons at all personally.

I have no idea what values are on NES / Super Nintendo games, but my store doesn't have much of either. Oh well, thanks to the OP for posting two weeks worth of coupons - might go back next week sometime.

I'm sure all stores have this, but mine had a little glass case of really old books - $100 for a really old and worn trilogy of Lord of the Rings, $100 for issues 1 through the end issue of Avengers Disassembled (I think), etc. Cool stuff for collectors, for sure.

It feels like a waste, using a 50% off coupon on a book that only cost $7. lol

Got a couple of 3DS games today with the 50% from last week's coupons.

Have a couple of things on hold for tomorrow's 40% sale, so I am ready to go. ^__^

Anyone have a link to the coupons for this week?
They've been in the OP for most of last week.

Nabbed Iron Man 3 on Blu Ray (DVD combo) for $10 after the 50% off coupon from last week. Trying to resist the urge to go way out of my way today to hit up another HPB.

They've been in the OP for most of last week.

Nabbed Iron Man 3 on Blu Ray (DVD combo) for $10 after the 50% off coupon from last week. Trying to resist the urge to go way out of my way today to hit up another HPB.
Ohhhh yeahhhh, i should have checked that. Big thinks for the info.

Picked up an original Wii today (GameCube compatible).  I decided $30 was a pretty good deal since it came with everything including 2 Wiimotes and 2 nunchucks.  That and I've got other items on hold at the same store for Sunday's 50% off so bought this one now.

picked up a sealed Hexyz Force on PSP for 29.99 after coupon. Slightly expensive, but this game has skyrocketed in value recently.

Picked up a complete copy of Resident Evil 2 for the Gamecube, came to $18 after the 40% coupon.  I saw a copy of Ehrgeiz that I may pick up this week, just not sure if I should wait until Friday for the 30% coupon (if its still there by then).

Ended up picking up a complete black label copy of animal crossing city folks with manual all inserts and surprisingly a working club nintendo code for $10

Picked up Super Mario 3D Land for the 3DS for $12.50 because of the coupon!  Complete in box and in beautiful shape.

I got an email today advertising to buy a $25 dollar gift card, get a $5 bonus card (which most stores have a promotion like this), deciding if I should go ahead and take advantage of this (since I spend the money easily enough).

med_gallery_350075_8335_86276.jpg

They do that offer pretty often. The $5 bonus is on a separate card and I think has to be used in one transaction and has an expiration date as well. For example, that $5 bonus would have to be used during the month of June. Nice bonus if you shop there a lot but doesn't do much if your thinking you'll just knock $5 off a $30 purchase this way.

They do that offer pretty often. The $5 bonus is on a separate card and I think has to be used in one transaction and has an expiration date as well. For example, that $5 bonus would have to be used during the month of June. Nice bonus if you shop there a lot but doesn't do much if your thinking you'll just knock $5 off a $30 purchase this way.
Yeah I read the conditions, that's still good enough for me anyways, most of my purchases are lower value clearance items (with the occasional big ticket items with a coupon). Good to know that they do this often at the least, thanks!

Just got a Pokemon Emerald (cart only) for 20 down from 40. I'm ecstatic. This thing is never leaving my Gameboy Micro.
Mayfield Heights store?

I got Pokémon Yellow, Red, Blue, and Crystal from there back around mid-March for $10 each. (one for $7 with the 30% off coupon)

Yeah I read the conditions, that's still good enough for me anyways, most of my purchases are lower value clearance items (with the occasional big ticket items with a coupon). Good to know that they do this often at the least, thanks!
They 100% do this around the holidays, pretty certain I've seen it other times (and obviously we are getting it randomly now).

The subject line made on the email made me think they were just going to give me $5 for free!

and then I was disappointed when I actually opened up the email and saw the words...

What are the criteria for things being moved to clearance (specifically books)? A specific shelf time or is it just some thing that kinda happens at random?

Mayfield Heights store?

I got Pokémon Yellow, Red, Blue, and Crystal from there back around mid-March for $10 each. (one for $7 with the 30% off coupon)
North Olmsted I believe. My gf picked up some expensive book too, the coupons keep bringing us into the store. I asked about consoles and that store doesn't take them as trade (apparently due to the strict local pawn laws).

What are the criteria for things being moved to clearance (specifically books)? A specific shelf time or is it just some thing that kinda happens at random?
There is a lot of consistency across stores for clearance of certain things so there must be some "top down" clearance stuff, but also clearly a lot of (most of) it is totally random and based on what comes into the store.

I used to work at HPB and it was basically at the discretion of the employee who worked that particular section. If you have a ton of a particular title or something that's been sitting on the shelf for months, send it to clearance. That was the way I was told to do it.

bread's done
Back