The Half Price Books Thread

BudzMcGee

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
As a big fan of Half Price Books I thought a thread discussing the various discounts, promotions and of course our finds was more than well deserved.

All deals posted in the OP and in this thread are YMMV by nature. Some things have universal prices (or damn near) but still.

Always remember to check our local store's page on the HPB.com website to see if it has any additional specials (such as comic Wednesdays)!

Current Promotions:

Upcoming Promotions:

Miscellaneous contest and other deals:

Educator's Discount: If you are an educator you can apply for the Educators Discount Card to save 10% every day at HPB. http://www.hpb.com/community/educators/

Notable Deals (Items that seem to be more universal):
This is not to add every single descent deal found at HPB, but to post ones that seem to be more universal (i.e. items marked with SuperBuy rather than clearance or is reported in multiple places).

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to the local one on a whim this afternoon, didn't bother getting there early as I know this one is priced really badly and my backlog is so bad I wasn't going to buy anything unless it really was a deal. They actually had a few things I would have picked up if I didn't have so much to play and the checkout line was about 40 deep. I saw the following gaming stuff that was kinda worthwhile at the 50% coupon for Sunday. All prices are after coupon. I don't have a PS3 so I don't even check their game prices. The store has a pretty big selection of games but that is due to the over pricing. They still have their 3 copies of Duke Nukem Forever for 360 priced at $29.99 apiece for about 8 months now...:)

4 Wii's $30

Gamecube $10

Sega Genesis $30

PS1 $5

Xbox 360 games

2 WWE 13's $15

Red Dead Redemption $10

Dead Island $7.50

GTA 4 $7.50

Madden 13 $20 (This is the 1st game that isn't a retro collectable that I've seen priced over $29.99 ($39.99), I really hope they don't start doing that...ugh)

Got

:360: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 Hardened Edition - $7 (With unused CoD Classic code)

:360: The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - $2 (Some scratches and missing the manual)

I went to the local one on a whim this afternoon, didn't bother getting there early as I know this one is priced really badly and my backlog is so bad I wasn't going to buy anything unless it really was a deal. They actually had a few things I would have picked up if I didn't have so much to play and the checkout line was about 40 deep. I saw the following gaming stuff that was kinda worthwhile at the 50% coupon for Sunday. All prices are after coupon. I don't have a PS3 so I don't even check their game prices. The store has a pretty big selection of games but that is due to the over pricing. They still have their 3 copies of Duke Nukem Forever for 360 priced at $29.99 apiece for about 8 months now... :)

4 Wii's $30

Gamecube $10

Sega Genesis $30

PS1 $5

Xbox 360 games

2 WWE 13's $15

Red Dead Redemption $10

Dead Island $7.50

GTA 4 $7.50

Madden 13 $20 (This is the 1st game that isn't a retro collectable that I've seen priced over $29.99 ($39.99), I really hope they don't start doing that...ugh)
Man I would love to find a cheap Gamecube....

Picked up the orig Resident Evil ps1, black label for 5 bucks.. They had a call of ctuhulhu for Xbox I considered, but the box was too beat up for my taste.

Went to two hpb in the bay

Picked up
parasite eve 1 on ps1 (no scratches)for 4.99
Bushido blade 2 on ps1 (no scratches) for 7.50
Pikmin 2 on GameCube for 15
Boxed snes kombat 2 for 7.50
Boxed snes star fox for 15

The boxed snes games had all the phamlets and doesn't seem to be even played at all. The phamlets and plastic wrap still looks in factory packaged condition. Not a bad haul today.

Forgot to mention also picked up duke nukem forever for pc for 3 bucks.. Hey why not :)

Played the crap out of duke 3d back in the day

Picked up Monster Hunter 3 Ultimate for the Wii U for 15 bucks.  Also found a copy of Resident Evil 3 Gamecube that I used a 15% off coupon on and got it for about 17 bucks.

Saw a Ni No Kuni for 30, might go back tomorrow or tuesday and pick it up, but I have a feeling it'll be super cheap this holiday since they seem to have printed a ton of them.

Tried two HPB near me, with the 50% off coupon most games would be down to Amazon/Gamestop prices. At the first store I got Groucho Marx's You Bet Your Life - The Best Episodes for $7.50 after coupon. At the second store I was deciding which $10 book or graphic novel I wanted to save $5 on and thinking how much of a waste this trip turned out to be.

Then I saw it...just sitting there...Irredeemable: Volume 1 by Mark Waid. But it was not the trade or hardcover, this was The Definitive Edition Volume 1! It is an oversized hardcover in a slipcase, similar to the DC Absolute versions. Sadly the top and bottom corner both have damage on the slip side, on the other hand I'm pretty sure the book itself had never been opened, I heard that lite cracking when I opened the book. Retail is $75, on sale at Amazon for 51.91, HPB price: $24.99, my price: $12.50 after coupon.

Getting this for $12.50 reminded me why I still go to HPB: no matter how much these stores suck, they are still awesome.

My store had little to nothing besides a Xbox 360 Slim for 150, so with the coupon it would have been 75 and tax.  It would probably a 4GB HDD but I didn't bite as I just sold my Xbox 360 to help preorder a PS4, and didn't feel like trying to see if I could flip it for a little profit lol.  But my HPB rarely has anything decent in the game section.  Usually old PS2 and Xbox Original games..

Picked up a 30gb black Zune for 32.50+ tax after the 50% off coupon. Only other thing I was remotely interested in was a Kindle Paperwhite, but I've heard it has some common problems, so I passed.

Nothing gaming related of note, but I got a new copy of The Walking Dead Compendium volume 2 for $24 + tax with the coupon. So not a wasted trip.

Got a sealed Black Ops 2 (PS3) for $15 after the coupon. I needed a break from all the RPGs lately so I figured why not.

For $25, I picked up an Xbox that comes with two free games. The cashier let me select any two games under $9.99, so I got Radiata Stories for PS2 and White Knight Chronicles 2 for PS3, both priced at $9.99 each. Can't wait to mod the box.

Tried two HPB near me, with the 50% off coupon most games would be down to Amazon/Gamestop prices. At the first store I got Groucho Marx's You Bet Your Life - The Best Episodes for $7.50 after coupon. At the second store I was deciding which $10 book or graphic novel I wanted to save $5 on and thinking how much of a waste this trip turned out to be.

Then I saw it...just sitting there...Irredeemable: Volume 1 by Mark Waid. But it was not the trade or hardcover, this was The Definitive Edition Volume 1! It is an oversized hardcover in a slipcase, similar to the DC Absolute versions. Sadly the top and bottom corner both have damage on the slip side, on the other hand I'm pretty sure the book itself had never been opened, I heard that lite cracking when I opened the book. Retail is $75, on sale at Amazon for 51.91, HPB price: $24.99, my price: $12.50 after coupon.

Getting this for $12.50 reminded me why I still go to HPB: no matter how much these stores suck, they are still awesome.
Hey man, I'm the CAG guy who works at an HPB. I think all of us got one copy of that hardcover each from our distribution center. That was a brand spanking new copy of Irredeemable that you got for that price!

I can't speak for other stores but my store is getting a ton of Boom comics. In the last three weeks they've sent us several hundred graphic novels from them. It's getting kind of tricky putting them all out.

I'm glad some of you scored some cool pick ups. I've worked at HPB for nearly three years and today was easily one of the busiest days I've ever experienced. Our line was to the back of the store several times today and that rarely happens even on Black Friday.

Stopped in Kenwood, OH store today. Saw a "Wii bundle" on sale for 99.99. All it showed on the cover was a Wii and the two Wii sports games, so I went to ask what exactly it came with. To my surprise, it included the following:

-Black Wii
-Four(!!!) Wiimotes with motion plus
-Four(!!!) Rechargable battery packs with charging base
-Two Nunchaku
-Wii Balance Board
-Wii sports and Wii sports resort
-Two steering wheels

All for $50. Not too terrible, especially since the controllers are all in great shape!

Stopped in Kenwood, OH store today. Saw a "Wii bundle" on sale for 99.99. All it showed on the cover was a Wii and the two Wii sports games, so I went to ask what exactly it came with. To my surprise, it included the following:

-Black Wii
-Four(!!!) Wiimotes with motion plus
-Four(!!!) Rechargable battery packs with charging base
-Two Nunchaku
-Wii Balance Board
-Wii sports and Wii sports resort
-Two steering wheels

All for $50. Not too terrible, especially since the controllers are all in great shape!
Dang... that is 30 minutes from where I live...

The Kenwood HPB is really nice compared to the one in Florence. I knew I should have went there. And now I wish I did, I have always wanted to try wii and wii sports.

The Kenwood HPB is really nice compared to the one in Florence. I knew I should have went there. And now I wish I did, I have always wanted to try wii and wii sports.
I did stop in Florence and they had 2 Wii systems...not with any games and I know the 50% off is expired but maybe that helps?

when I walked in today (around 6/7 pm) the only thing decent I saw was an xbox 360 that I wasn't interested in.  Where the Wii's by the rest of the game items?  I tend to not shop at HPB much so idk I might have missed the obvious aisle to look at.  All I checked was the small little section that had a 360 and mainly old games.

when I walked in today (around 6/7 pm) the only thing decent I saw was an xbox 360 that I wasn't interested in. Where the Wii's by the rest of the game items? I tend to not shop at HPB much so idk I might have missed the obvious aisle to look at. All I checked was the small little section that had a 360 and mainly old games.
The systems are usually represented by a generic game case that just says the name of the system on it and the price. Then you take that case to the checkout and they get the system. At least that's how it was at those two stores

The systems are usually represented by a generic game case that just says the name of the system on it and the price. Then you take that case to the checkout and they get the system. At least that's how it was at those two stores
Ahh, I did not know that. Well now I am knowledgeable come the next hpb coupon lol.

Thanks for the information man!

Me and the lady hit up two yesterday and I picked up:

Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure for $6.50 for the 3DS (I got the portal pack for 3DS for giants for $10 from Target so this was a nice cheap way to get the first).

New Super Mario Bros 2 for $10 for the 3DS.

Mario Kart 7 (3DS) for $10.

Also found a copy of Stranger in a Strange Land in their book clearance area.

All around, happy with my find.

My hpb had
Zelda Twilight Princess
Mario party 8

They were both 24.99 not sure if that's too good of deal though especially since you can buy brand new copy of twilight princess for cheaper at retailers...is Mario party 8 rare I can't seem to find it new anywhere...what's retail for that?

Hey man, I'm the CAG guy who works at an HPB. I think all of us got one copy of that hardcover each from our distribution center. That was a brand spanking new copy of Irredeemable that you got for that price!

I can't speak for other stores but my store is getting a ton of Boom comics. In the last three weeks they've sent us several hundred graphic novels from them. It's getting kind of tricky putting them all out.

I'm glad some of you scored some cool pick ups. I've worked at HPB for nearly three years and today was easily one of the busiest days I've ever experienced. Our line was to the back of the store several times today and that rarely happens even on Black Friday.
I picked up a bunch of Boom last week and saw the ton more Boom they had but wasn't sure about the hardcover, since the corners were really messed up. It must have been dropped...twice. Did you notice the Traveler Volume 3? Both stores had 3 copies of Volume 1 and 2 and 3 copies of all 3 volumes of Solider Zero and Starborn which are similar (all based on characters created by Stan Lee) and I was wondering if it was worth it to try one of the other two HPBs in the area or just pick it up at my local comic store. Now I have to check out some of the other series I saw, one can never have enough comics.

Half Price Books is such a strange place...I never find good video games. I guess good books are the only thing you can find at Half Price Books *cough*

Paid $40 for this, I dont really think a description is necassary.

2dlp2js.jpg

I hate you so much! Haha that's a fantastic pick up! I've never seen one in our local HPB stores but that makes me want to look!

Thats awesome. Thats why I love HPB. stuff like that is great to swoop up when the coupon weeks roll around.

The Nomad always had the weirdest shape / look to me. That thing honestly doesnt look like it fits / is very comfortable in your hand + the screen is kinda small. IMO Sega kinda goofed when designing that one. Having said that I still want one really bad lol.

Jealous (seriously) of the Groucho Marx DVD. Have you ever watched clips of that show online? One of the first episodes I ever watched of it had me cracking up. One of the contestants was a strange guy and Groucho knew how to elicit just the right responses to have the audience laughing the whole time. There aren't many people throughout history that I would like to meet more than Groucho Marx.

Jealous (seriously) of the Groucho Marx DVD. Have you ever watched clips of that show online? One of the first episodes I ever watched of it had me cracking up. One of the contestants was a strange guy and Groucho knew how to elicit just the right responses to have the audience laughing the whole time. There aren't many people throughout history that I would like to meet more than Groucho Marx.
I bought a $1 DVD at Walmart with You Bet Your Life, I had heard of it and decided it was worth a try for a $1. Hilarious! I knew Groucho was funny from the movies but I didn't realize he was almost playing himself. I got The Lost Episodes a couple months ago for $15. You should be able to find both at your HPB, they are both new and I saw Lost Episodes at all four HPB near me and Best Episodes at the two I went to this weekend.

These are the two:

http://www.amazon.com/You-Bet-Your-Life-Episodes/dp/B0002AHW3G/

http://www.amazon.com/You-Bet-Your-Life-Episodes/dp/B0000ALFZ0/

Funny... I actually prefer the Florence store. I picked out 6 or 7 games at the Kenwood location once and ended up not buying a single one once I saw how scratched up the discs were. The Florence store seems to have -somewhat- higher standards for what they'll put up for sale even though their selection is a little lacking.

I bought a $1 DVD at Walmart with You Bet Your Life, I had heard of it and decided it was worth a try for a $1. Hilarious! I knew Groucho was funny from the movies but I didn't realize he was almost playing himself. I got The Lost Episodes a couple months ago for $15. You should be able to find both at your HPB, they are both new and I saw Lost Episodes at all four HPB near me and Best Episodes at the two I went to this weekend.

These are the two:

http://www.amazon.com/You-Bet-Your-Life-Episodes/dp/B0002AHW3G/

http://www.amazon.com/You-Bet-Your-Life-Episodes/dp/B0000ALFZ0/
I always look for his movies or the tv shows but I never see them. I've looked at three different hpb's around here. I've asked the associates and they look absolutely puzzled as to where such a thing would be found on the DVD wall. I saw one move of his, "A Day at the Races" but they had it for $5--more than just about any other single DVD movie there.

FYI, if you have a Bank of America Rewards Card, make sure to turn on the Half Price Books deal! You get 25% cash back on one purchase at Half Price Books. Combine with the 20% off this weekend and you can get some major savings!

I have such a hard time wanting to even stop at these stores anymore. The closest one to me seems to have trained their employees to only look at the "new" value of game items on amazon to determine used value. Meaning games that are out of print and have jackasses listing them for 100+ get treated like they're valuable even if they're not.

Or for more recent titles, even ones that have dropped to $20 are marked at $40 or more because they're just looking at $60 new retail price.

FYI, if you have a Bank of America Rewards Card, make sure to turn on the Half Price Books deal! You get 25% cash back on one purchase at Half Price Books. Combine with the 20% off this weekend and you can get some major savings!
I think some of those deals are regional. I definitely don't have that one. :whistle2:(

bread's done
Back