The Half Price Books Thread

BudzMcGee

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
As a big fan of Half Price Books I thought a thread discussing the various discounts, promotions and of course our finds was more than well deserved.

All deals posted in the OP and in this thread are YMMV by nature. Some things have universal prices (or damn near) but still.

Always remember to check our local store's page on the HPB.com website to see if it has any additional specials (such as comic Wednesdays)!

Current Promotions:

Upcoming Promotions:

Miscellaneous contest and other deals:

Educator's Discount: If you are an educator you can apply for the Educators Discount Card to save 10% every day at HPB. http://www.hpb.com/community/educators/

Notable Deals (Items that seem to be more universal):
This is not to add every single descent deal found at HPB, but to post ones that seem to be more universal (i.e. items marked with SuperBuy rather than clearance or is reported in multiple places).

Last edited by a moderator:
I got Dishonered Xbox 360 for $29.99 list but just $15 after 50% off coupon. I was happy with that...I replied earlier that this HPB is really hit or miss as I've gotten a few nice games for $1-$2 on clearance but they also had 3 Xbox 360 versions of Duke Nukem Forever priced at $29.99 for months. Funny thing is they were all gone on Sunday so if people used the 50% off coupon and payed $15 for them on Sunday more power to HPB. :)

[quote name='midlifecrisisMkII']With Memorial Day weekend coming up, HPB is having a storewide 20% off sale from 5/23 - 27.[/QUOTE]

Updated the thread title. Thanks to the person who updated the OP (Sorry, I'm on my phone and didn't have time to look for the name!)

picked up Streets of Rage 2 for 3.99 after promotion. Also saw someone get Valkyrie Profile for 19.99. One of the best deals Ive seen at HPB that.

Picked up a Magna Carta 2 for Xbox 360 for 8 dollars after the discount. Now I can finally play it without opening my sealed copy since the sealed copy goes for about 100 dollars online. I did see a Legend of Mana for PS1 for 50 before the 20%. That was kind of high for that game.

[quote name='taylort3']my store has NOTHING. screw you guys with good stores ;)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, my store hasn't had anything that great since the last time they had a week long sale.

[quote name='MooseTheCorgi']I love my local HPB, I have picked up some pretty awesome books but also picked a brand new sealed copy of Blazblue for the vita during the 50% OFF sale for $7.50 and a sealed Silent Hill PS1 Black Label with Y folds and hang tag on the back still for $29.99. I am usually surprised whenever I go there.[/QUOTE]

Darn you haha I'm guessing the Dublin, ca store. I was going to pick that one up too but it was gone when I went back. Good find though.

I love the Dublin store, it's my new favorite rare comic book store. I have found some of the hardest to find comics there at fantastic prices. Strangely never found a good game deal there, however.

I just picked up a black label xenogears in pristine condition, no scratches at all, and a copy of killer 7 on gamecube for 35 after the 20% at the Fremont store. They had a bunch of N64 and NES games there.

[quote name='kawikabot']I love the Dublin store, it's my new favorite rare comic book store. I have found some of the hardest to find comics there at fantastic prices. Strangely never found a good game deal there, however.[/QUOTE]

I picked up the Magna Carta 2 there for 8 dollars yesterday. I find most of the good deals at the Concord one. Picked up a 2nd generation Genesis for 10 dollars last july and a gameboy color for 10 and pokemon red, yellow, blue, silver and gold for 3 dollars each.

I just picked up a black label xenogears in pristine condition, no scratches at all, and a copy of killer 7 on gamecube for 35 after the 20% at the Fremont store. They had a bunch of N64 and NES games there.

[quote name='Chinese_cuisine']Picked up a Magna Carta 2 for Xbox 360 for 8 dollars after the discount. Now I can finally play it without opening my sealed copy since the sealed copy goes for about 100 dollars online. I did see a Legend of Mana for PS1 for 50 before the 20%. That was kind of high for that game.[/QUOTE]

Was that at the dublin hpb ?

[quote name='chinese_cuisine']yup^ at the dublin hpb[/quote]

That was me you talked too lol , I ended up picking up mortal kombat kollectors edition with all dlc unused for 40 komplete

[quote name='Raider209']That was me you talked too lol , I ended up picking up mortal kombat kollectors edition with all dlc unused for 40 komplete[/QUOTE]

Haha small world. Nice u mean the one with the bookend that was on the top shelf? What did u end up trading in with them.

Just grabbed the MacGyver Complete Series for $31.99 which I couldn't have been happier finding. I never really look at their overpriced games and my store did away with the lock boxed CE area so there is never anything really worth having..

I got a 250GB 360 S with 2 wireless controllers and the Orange Box for $148 after discount and tax. I feel it was a pretty decent deal.

[quote name='darkskill']I got a 250GB 360 S with 2 wireless controllers and the Orange Box for $148 after discount and tax. I feel it was a pretty decent deal.[/QUOTE]

That's not bad at all.

[quote name='Chinese_cuisine']Haha small world. Nice u mean the one with the bookend that was on the top shelf? What did u end up trading in with them.[/QUOTE]

Max payne 3 , quantum of solace and a ds lite and a few blu rays

[quote name='Chinese_cuisine']How much did they give u for the ds lite?[/QUOTE]

I got 30 bucks total it was in terrible condition anything was better then collecting dust , I scored a pokemon 3dxl couple months ago for 160

Only had time to hit a couple of HPBs near me, but I was still able to find:

The Art of Tales of Legendia - 4.79
Valkyrie Profile 2: Silmeria - 6.79
Valkyrie Profile: Lenneth - 7.99

Also picked up two GBA carts:
Sword of Mana - $8
Tactics Ogre: The Knight of Lodis - $12.

The guides were in really good condition and I just couldn't pass on them. I recently bought a GBA SP at a yard sale and needed a couple games. The prices didn't seem too bad so I picked them up.

Received via USPS today:

Week of coupons for highest priced item.  This time it differs from previous coupons.  It is 50% off highest priced item on Sunday, July 7th.  Then it's 40% off on Monday, July 8th, then 30% the next two days and 20% the last two days ending Saturday, July 13th.

Watch for emails!

Is there a generic link to the coupons?
p7j9.png

How long can you put stuff on hold for?
YMMV on hold times. HPB doesn't have a set store policy, so it will vary from place to place depending on the management there. Some stores don't even do holds, but some hold things for up to a week, so best option is to just call the store you want to go to and see how long they do holds.

Interesting.  My emailed coupons have a different number sequence on the second part.

I doubt it really matters, since they probably don't track in the system as unique.

Have they posted a set on their facebook page yet?

~$40 after the 50% off coupon:

Wii (white)

Wii-mote x2 (does not include Motion+, does not include Nunchuck )

Balance Board

Wi Sports

Sensor Bar + Cables

Probably Wii Sports game

Is this a decent deal? and what is the cheapest/best way of getting the Nunchuck and Motion+ components (and at what price range)?

Thanks for your advice!

Wii (white)

Balance Board

Wi Sports

Sensor Bar + Cables

Probably Wii Sports game

Is this a decent deal? and what is the cheapest/best way of getting the Nunchuck and Motion+ components (and at what price range)?

Thanks for your advice!
Pretty good deal. The Wii, cables, and a controller alone would've cost you around $40 alone. You should probably be able to get nunchucks for about $10 (I think they retail for $20) and probably a little bit less for the motion+ extensions.

Interesting. My emailed coupons have a different number sequence on the second part.

I doubt it really matters, since they probably don't track in the system as unique.

They posted them on facebook yesterday. I didn't seem to get them via email so I'm just gonna use those.

Interesting. My emailed coupons have a different number sequence on the second part.

They're not unique. For some reason they have two different sets of codes for the printable coupons, and the ones that appear in your email, and they both look different too as you may have noticed. But yea, rather weird they'd have different coding for the coupons. *shrug*

Wii (white)

Balance Board

Wi Sports

Sensor Bar + Cables

Probably Wii Sports game

Thanks for your advice!
Pretty good deal. The Wii, cables, and a controller alone would've cost you around $40 alone. You should probably be able to get nunchucks for about $10 (I think they retail for $20) and probably a little bit less for the motion+ extensions.
Thanks for the info! Do you happen to know where I can find them at these prices? (GameStop sells them used for ~$18 each....)

My Half Price usually has pretty terrible prices, but with 50% off I'm sure I'll find *something* worthwhile tomorrow. If not, I'll pick myself up a CD or something :)

Hit the jackpot. Got on hold a 250gb xbox 360 slim with kinect for 100 dollars tomorrow. Also got left 4 dead 2 (two copies), gears of war judgment, skyrim, on hold. spending 130dollars and flipping to gamestop with 50% coupon trade ins for 400 total credit. Not bad.

Hit the jackpot. Got on hold a 250gb xbox 360 slim with kinect for 100 dollars tomorrow. Also got left 4 dead 2 (two copies), gears of war judgment, skyrim, on hold. spending 130dollars and flipping to gamestop with 50% coupon trade ins for 400 total credit. Not bad.
Aern't you quite the little :censored:.

Thanks for the info! Do you happen to know where I can find them at these prices? (GameStop sells them used for ~$18 each....)
Sorry, meant to include that. You could pretty easily find nunchucks on eBay and Amazon, but I'm not sure about motion + extensions. The first thing I saw on eBay was a 2 for ~$15 buy it now, but I'm not sure if they were OEM or not.

Went to two stores today, asked them to open the DS case on a whim at the second store. Found Pokemon Black 2 for $12.50 :D Time to indulge my inner child.They also had PS2s (Slim and Fat) for the same price if anyone can find them. This is all after the 50% off coupon of course.

Huh, there are 4 in my area. Might as well look at them and see what the fuss is about, especially for 50% off.

bread's done
Back