Not open for further replies.

Liquid 2

CAGiversary!
Feedback
8 (100%)
[MEDIA]http://www.coverpop.com/whitney/whitneyChromatic.swf[/MEDIA]

20 more variations: http://www.coverpop.com/whitney/index.php?var=v1

http://www.krazydad.com/blog/2006/04/23/visual-harmony/

This weekend I’ve been playing, once again, with the ideas of experimental film pioneer John Whitney, using both graphics and audio. While Whitney was interested in turning musical ideas into motion graphics, I’m doing the inverse — turning one of his key animation ideas back into music.

Whitney made a number of films based around the simple idea of harmonic relationships. Above is a visual example of one his ideas that I implemented in Flash.

Here’s Whitney talking about this idea:

An early intuition about how to control total dynamics led me to activate all graphic elements through a motion function that advances each element differentially. For example, if one element were set to move at a given rate, the next element might be moved at two times that rate. Then the third would move at three times that rate and so on. Each element would move at a different rate and in a different direction within the field of action. So long as all elements obey a rule of direction and rate, and none drifts aimlessly or randomly, then pattern configurations form and reform. This is harmonic resonance, and it echoes musical harmony, stated in explicit terms. I tried this procedure in several films, and was gratified by the consistency of the confirmation it demonstrated.
– John Whitney, “Digital Harmony”, pp. 38

In this movie, each of the 48 dots is moving in a circle. Each of the dots is on a 3 minute cycle. At the end of 3 minutes, the outermost dot will have moved around the circle once (this dot represents the first harmonic or fundamental). The next dot will have moved around the circle twice (representing the second harmonic). The next dot three times, and so on. The innermost dot moves around the circle 48 times.

Now, imagine these dots are raised bumps on a disc which is controlling a music box, with each bump triggering a note when it passes the zero degree line (a line extending from the center to the east). The result would look and sound something like this three minute looping movie, which I built in Flash:

Whitney Music Box (chromatic version)

In this particular implementation, the music box has the bars for a 48-note chromatic scale. The pattern causes chords, ascending and descending runs and melodies to be heard.

You may notice some interesting links between the visuals and the audio, especially if you are a musician. For example, when the pattern forms a 3-arm starfish, the chords you are hearing are diminished chords, which consist of minor thirds, an interval in which the notes are 3 chromatic steps apart. The chords you hear always bear this type of relationship to the pattern you are seeing, consisting of intervals which match the arrangement of arms.

I generated the audio using my sound synthesis program, Syd, which provides a very elegant way to accomplish this kind of thing. Unfortunately, Syd is horribly supported these days (I haven’t updated the Macintosh version since before OS X). Here’s a sample Syd patch which was used to generate the audio (I actually used 3 similar patches and mixed the results together).

Update:

Here’s are some other variations. The first few assign pitches based on the harmonic series, rather than the chromatic scale (thus the dot that represents the 10th harmonic actually sounds like the 10th harmonic). In these variations, the “chords” sound like single notes with a buzzier timbre, because when you combine harmonics, you are performing a kind of additive synthesis.

Whitney Music Box (harmonic version - fundamental = 55hz)

Whitney Music Box (harmonic version - fundamental = 20hz)

The above variation uses a lower fundamental which is close to the limit of human pitch perception.

Whitney Music Box (harmonic version - fundamental = 48hz, reversed)

The above variation reverses the assignment of the pitches, so that the lower fundamentals are heard more frequently.

Whitney Music Box (harmonic version - Palindrome)

The above variation uses both forward and reverse pitch mappings at the same time, to create a palindrome effect. The oscillators with the reverse pitch mapping are 180 degrees out of phase, which causes some nodes to cancel each other out, and creates some mildly interesting filtering effects.

Whitney Music Box (chromatic version - 88 tines)

The above variation uses 88 tines in a chromatic arrangement with alternating ascending and descending notes. Because there are more bumps on the wheel, there are more notes in the sequence.

Update 4/25/06:

I’ve generated a few more variations, which you can see here. I’ve begun using STK (the synthesis toolkit) instead of Syd to generate the audio, since this is more commonly available software that will allow other folks to experiment with this type of system. I generate the audio score using a Perl script which outputs note events in the SKINI format. I use the command-line utility calico to render the audio.

Update 4/26/06:

Nyquist, the Lisp-based music language, also provides an elegant way to generate this type of music. Here’s a sample nyquist score that I used to generate variation 11.

Update 5/2/06:

http://www.krazydad.com/blog/2006/05/02/a-fractal/In this new post, I describe the nature of the star-fish patterns in more detail.

EDIT: missed some links to variations of the object featured in the OP.
EDIT 2: Hid all the text
EDIT 3: Variations link added

Man I miss this game.
In the top 5 for prettiest PSX games.
Smooth, crisp graphics, and locked 60fps.

[media]http://youtube.com/watch?v=SdhXA-xpvjU[/media]

Holy fuck! The new version of gridlock is off the fucking chain. I can't believe how much better it looks. With the darker setting it also should make the towers a little more useable as well since people in them won't be such easy prey.

If yall have not checked that shit out, get that new Game Informer. The whole cover story just oozed awesome.

Tobal 2 to be exact.
I imported it when it soon became clear it'd never come here.
It had over 200 characters that you'd unlock in Quest Mode.
I loved the Chocobos.

Good OTT liquid.

[quote name='dallow']Wow, that's actually really cool.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Brak']That's absolutely bonkers.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='lordwow']Mesmerizing.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='corrosivefrost']*head asplodes*[/QUOTE]

[quote name='strummerbs']That's staggeringly cool, Liquid.[/QUOTE]
Indeed. :D

[quote name='dallow']Good OTT liquid.[/QUOTE]Thanks. :)

20 more variations of the OP right here: http://www.coverpop.com/whitney/index.php?var=v1

Yeah, I wanted Tobal 2, but I didn't know how to import shit at the time.

My buddy went to Hawaii and they had the imports there and I was pissed when he said he passed on it, but he picked up Bushido Blade 2 so I got to play that 6 or so months earlier than the US release, so it wasn't all bad.

My PSX was chipped, I had it done in Costa Rica as the local game store guy said he could do it cheap.

I was a big fan of GameFan magazine and in the ads at the back they had this import store that sold all these awesome goodies.
GameCave or something.........

I bought FFVII figures and my PocketStation from them, haha.
Man, all over the phone. No internet for me back then.

My cousin bought the Pro Action Replay to play imports.

[quote name='dallow']Back when Square was awesome........

Hey strummer, pick your movie yet?[/QUOTE]

Not yet. Saw your recommendation of Fifth Element. I have that one on DVD, and I would prefer something brand new, but I'll consider it. I'm going to check with my fiancee and see if she wants anything.

[quote name='dallow']My PSX was chipped, I had it done in Costa Rica as the local game store guy said he could do it cheap.

I was a big fan of GameFan magazine and in the ads at the back they had this import store that sold all these awesome goodies.
GameCave or something.........

I bought FFVII figures and my PocketStation from them, haha.
Man, all over the phone. No internet for me back then.

My cousin bought the Pro Action Replay to play imports.[/QUOTE]

I remember all of that.

I did eventually get a modded PS1 to play imports, but I never got Tobal 2.

Must have too expensive.

Unexpected OTT music FTL. We don't need Myspace-style crap here. :nottalking:

I spent the past two days cramming for an exam that I could've aced back in freshman year of high school, because the professor didn't tell us what to study for. Good times. :bomb:

I've got homework due tomorrow, may have to give an engineering presentation, and have an interview for a better position at the cafeteria where I work. Tomorrow's going to blow.

[quote name='zewone']I remember all of that.

I did eventually get a modded PS1 to play imports, but I never got Tobal 2.

Must have too expensive.[/quote]
You should Definitely check it out, better Late than never.

Whoever the drummer is, practicing the floor beneath me, absolutely stinks.

Yeah. Maybe if he plays the same beat, over and over, for two hours, he'll get really awesome.

Gamecave was pretty fantastic till it was swallowed up by EB games (Or it might have been Gamestop).

I remember picking up SaGa Frontier 2 for $33 shipped with money I was supposed to use for dinner for my Prom date.

Annoying bitches come and go. So-so Square RPGs last forever.

My neighbor asked me where the drumming was coming from, and went downstairs to ask him to stop. :O

fuckin christ every time I come into this OTT I get a loud blare out my speakers and have to frantically turn the volume down.

[quote name='Brak']My neighbor asked me where the drumming was coming from, and went downstairs to ask him to stop. :O[/QUOTE]

Snitch.

[quote name='mr ryles']fuckin christ every time I come into this OTT I get a loud blare out my speakers and have to frantically turn the volume down.[/QUOTE]
You should go into the other OTT.

[quote name='mr ryles']fuckin christ every time I come into this OTT I get a loud blare out my speakers and have to frantically turn the volume down.[/QUOTE]

We're almost to 50 posts. ;)

Just minimize the media box thingy with that black button/arrow in the top right corner.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']You should go into the other OTT.[/QUOTE]

That one smells funny....... like astroglide and tequila..........

[quote name='Liquid 2']We're almost to 50 posts. ;)

Just minimize the media box thingy with that black button/arrow in the top right corner.[/QUOTE]

This is all YOUR fault, you know. Stop winking, :spam:-face.

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']Hullo.[/quote]

:beer:

[quote name='Liquid 2']We're almost to 50 posts. ;)

Just minimize the media box thingy with that black button/arrow in the top right corner.[/quote]

I have this annoying sound coming out of my speakers, too.

It's called TFN messaging me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back