The Official Guild Wars Topic

Status
Not open for further replies.
I made a CAG guild :mrgreen:
If you want to join PM me here or find me in the game. (Kayden Fox)

I had to call it Cheap Arse Gamers because ass isn't allowed :\

I was hoping the banner maker would have a $, but they don't... So I toyed with the devil head since we got a Devil Customer rep... Heres some samples.

I wanted to include CAG's colors, but I hate Orange... I just mixed some colors to give an idea of what was possible. The demon head is iridecent, it looks cool.

Whoo, Lvl 4 Ranger, name a' Led Hed (yes, I know, terribly original).

I'm kinda pissed; I had two accounts running during the beta, since I had to make another after my old account's email address expired. The character name that I really wanted to use was bound to that other account, and even after logging into it and deleting the character, I can't use the name on my new account. :bomb:

Hi everyone,

I got a lvl 4 ra/wa looking for a guild...the name's Dana Dakwik. Looking forward to seeing everyone online.

Thanks,

Toper

I want to do some leveling up/questing with you guys cuz Im leveling so slow by myself/ with random people I can sometimes find. IM only level 3, but almost 4 :)

Agh, my copy will be waiting for me when I get home from college on May 4th. Just reading this forum makes me depressed that I have to wait... :whistle2:(

I started a new Warrior/Nerco level 5 right now name is

Jake Da Snake

I want to meet some people online what a great game

I may pick this up. It looks interesting, but WoW is tempting me so much. Whatever I end up getting, it won't be till next week, when I finish classes. But it would be fun to play with some CAGs.

i just got GW at fry's, and as I was checking out, the cashier asked if i wanted a free guild wars shirt so yah! did anyone else get one?

Level 13, we've already got our CAG clan built up and ready. We should soon have guild capes and hopefully our own Guild Hall soon enough!

I'm debating picking this up on sale at Fry's. I really haven't seen many reviews though. From what I have read it seems like you can't see other people playing the game that aren't in your party out in the world. I guess they only show up in town? Is this the case? Does it work well?

I'd really be interested in hearing a hands-on type review of this game from someone here. I'm just really not sure what to expect from this game. It seems like it's kind of similar to Diablo 2 except with a lot more people, is that a decent comparison?

im picking this up soon... all be ready to envy the seal

and by envy, i mean power level me and sell me your items very cheap so i get good fast etc...

[quote name='jimbodan']I'm debating picking this up on sale at Fry's. I really haven't seen many reviews though. From what I have read it seems like you can't see other people playing the game that aren't in your party out in the world. I guess they only show up in town? Is this the case? Does it work well?

I'd really be interested in hearing a hands-on type review of this game from someone here. I'm just really not sure what to expect from this game. It seems like it's kind of similar to Diablo 2 except with a lot more people, is that a decent comparison?[/QUOTE]

Guild Wars is a very difficult game to review, considering you can never really be done with it. You continue to obtain new items, quests, etc. And since the game is strictly divided between RPG / PvP, it makes it even harder to review.

Nonetheless, here's what I think.

The game is great. Whether you like PvE, PvP, or just exploring the game because of the graphics, you'll feel right at home. The "one map per group" thing sounds pretty strange, but truth be told, it's actually great. Monsters dig their way out of the ground to surprise you, and it's a lot easier to navigate without weird players screaming out trades, stupid remarks, and "OMG I FOUND _____!!!11!twelve!"

Graphics are no doubt some of the greatest for a MMORPG (or CCORPG, whatever you play). Leaves will gently (and even gravitationally acurrately) fall to the ground, snow will pile up around you, and you can see the muscles on your character and the stubble on his head in-play.

If you're more of a Person vs. Person (combat) kind of person, you can build a character with whatever armor you'd like and duke it out in several various arenas- fight to the death on an island of fire, protect your priest and your beacon in the scorching desert, or try and get the other team's flag in the frigid mountains.

I hope that helped.

Thanks for the mini review. It helps a little bit. How would the game be if you just wanted to play solo? Is that even viable or any fun? If I bought it, I'd definately join the CAG guild, but I know some of the time I'd just want to play it solo, probably PvE.

Also PvP only takes place in special arenas? Kinda like you challenge someone to a duel? Or can you just try and take someone out anywhere?

One more thing, once you hit the lvl 20 cap is it still fun at all to do PvE? I mean is there any point to it since you can't gain any more exp? Do you pretty much have to do PvP at that point?

[quote name='jimbodan']Thanks for the mini review. It helps a little bit. How would the game be if you just wanted to play solo? Is that even viable or any fun? If I bought it, I'd definately join the CAG guild, but I know some of the time I'd just want to play it solo, probably PvE.

Also PvP only takes place in special arenas? Kinda like you challenge someone to a duel? Or can you just try and take someone out anywhere?

One more thing, once you hit the lvl 20 cap is it still fun at all to do PvE? I mean is there any point to it since you can't gain any more exp? Do you pretty much have to do PvP at that point?[/QUOTE]

You can easily solo the entire game if you'd like. Of course, you'd want at least AI henchmen, as doing quests alone is pretty much suicide. The game is best through cooperative play, though, and it's easy to find a group of people to do quests with.

PvP takes place in special arenas, yes. Level 20 is the cap, but specific PvP-only accounts start out at level 20 so that the playing field is even. You can PvP in the RPG account also, with arenas according to levels.

Thanks again for the response, what about the last thing though about hitting lvl 20? Would PvE still be fun at that point either alone or in a group or would I pretty have to move on to Pvp at that point? I don't think I'd really want to do much PvP since everyone is pretty equal, I prefer to wait to do PvP until I'm a very high lvl with uber equipment and that doesn't seem all that possible here so I'd probably want to stick with PvE.

That's really the biggest thing keeping me from hitting Fry's tomorrow to pick this up. I'm just worried I'll hit lvl 20 in a few days or maybe a couple weeks, get bored from doing pointless PvE (since I wouldn't be getting any exp for killing stuff)and basically be forced to do PvP which I'm not too big on since you can't out level people or really out equip them.

[quote name='jimbodan']Thanks again for the response, what about the last thing though about hitting lvl 20? Would PvE still be fun at that point either alone or in a group or would I pretty have to move on to Pvp at that point? I don't think I'd really want to do much PvP since everyone is pretty equal, I prefer to wait to do PvP until I'm a very high lvl with uber equipment and that doesn't seem all that possible here so I'd probably want to stick with PvE.

That's really the biggest thing keeping me from hitting Fry's tomorrow to pick this up. I'm just worried I'll hit lvl 20 in a few days or maybe a couple weeks, get bored from doing pointless PvE (since I wouldn't be getting any exp for killing stuff)and basically be forced to do PvP which I'm not too big on since you can't out level people or really out equip them.[/QUOTE]

That's a valid argument.

However... I doubt you will get bored.

There are areas with incredibly strong enemies (level 30, etc.), and they're incredibly godly unless you're very strong. I spent a lot of beta time trying to prep for it, and it's very fun even if you lose.

Keep in mind that GW is a one-time purchase... if you get bored, you won't be charged, and you can pick up your account any time you want.

I'm sure there will be monsters I can't beat even at lvl 20, but would I have any incentive to try and beat a godly monster? I wouldn't get any exp for it and if I can't either get exp or try and get some uber equipment from a drop I doubt I'd be fighting many monsters once I hit lvl 20.

Yeah the no monthly fee thing is a major selling point with me, however it's still going to cost me 40$ to get it which is usually much more then I like to spend on a new game.

I really appreciate all the answers you've given me, I'm just not sure this game is for me. I really want to give it a try, but something is telling me that once I hit lvl 20 there won't be any more reason for me to play the game unless I really like PvP (which is entirely possible). I know the betas are over with but is there any chance maybe they will have some other type of free trial weekend or something?

What I think I really want is a free WoW or FFXI type of game and I'm pretty sure this isn't that game. I just wish I could try it out and see for sure.

[quote name='jimbodan']I'm sure there will be monsters I can't beat even at lvl 20, but would I have any incentive to try and beat a godly monster? I wouldn't get any exp for it and if I can't either get exp or try and get some uber equipment from a drop I doubt I'd be fighting many monsters once I hit lvl 20.

Yeah the no monthly fee thing is a major selling point with me, however it's still going to cost me 40$ to get it which is usually much more then I like to spend on a new game.

I really appreciate all the answers you've given me, I'm just not sure this game is for me. I really want to give it a try, but something is telling me that once I hit lvl 20 there won't be any more reason for me to play the game unless I really like PvP (which is entirely possible). I know the betas are over with but is there any chance maybe they will have some other type of free trial weekend or something?

What I think I really want is a free WoW or FFXI type of game and I'm pretty sure this isn't that game. I just wish I could try it out and see for sure.[/QUOTE]

According to GW's website....

"Currently the level cap is set to a maximum of 20. Once you reach Level 20, you will continue to acquire skill points and refund points, but your health and mana points will be capped. At this time, there are no plans to raise the level cap. If we do make a change, or if we have a higher level cap in future chapters of Guild Wars, we will be sure to share the news in an interview, on our various fansite forums, or we will make a post about it on our official site, www.guildwars.com. Please keep an eye on the site for future updates."

This means you can build your character to the top with insane amounts of skill points, etc.

Higher monsters drop better things, resulting in better armors, weapons, and all that.

Hmm interesting. I think I'm just going to bite the bullet and get the game. I'll post back here when I create my character

Although Moxio is the guy to ask about GW here at CAG, I'll give my 2 cents since my outpost shipment arrived on friday and have been playing the game for the better part of 24 hours (minus 3 hours of sleep and time to drive to the store for RedBull and smokes).

I love this game, frankly--- strictly doing PVE it's a blast, especially in areas that are as gorgeous as those presented in GW. It's certainly better to run the game at the highest settings your computer will allow.

On that note, the game is very forgiving on low end systems. I'm using a 4 year old ti4600 graphics card to push me through the game, and everything is crisp and clear, and minus a few lag spikes in the hubs, I really have no problem running Guild wars.

As far as leveling is concerned, it's taking me quite a bit of time to do-- If you just go out and hack monsters for the first few hours-- you'll get levels steadily, but will miss out on some important quests that help you understand the PVE environment of GW. Level 20 does seem a litle low for a game like this--- but I believe in future expansions the cap will rise-- and until then PVP is a load of fun.

Go out and buy this game.

Walmart has it cheapest at 40 bucks ATM. OOS online, but was in my B&M.

Man, I love this game... Im pretty bad at leveling up and finding parties though. At a casual players rate, as in 1-2 hours a day, I think it would take a long ass time to reach level 20. However, if you play all the time you could probably get there fairly fast.

I havent really played an MMORPG besides Diablo II, which I was completely obsessed with. This is sort of like that, only 3-D and a lot more people, because Diablo is pretty much dead. I would definatly recommend it to anyone that liked Diablo, or games of that sort, as well as people, like me, that havent really played MMORPGs because of the price per month aspect, and their complexity.

Wow I had a huge reply, just to be bitten by the logging out after inactivity bug while i'm at work.

I've never played anything close to an MMORPG besides DiabloII, because of the absurd per month basis. This game is honestly one of the best i've played in the last 10 years--regardless of the format OR genre--this is one of those games that just gets it all right.

Anyway short and sweet--this game is great! I'm totally in love with it, and it has kept me in front of the computer for hours on end. I just spent from midnight last night, to 6:00am this morning playing. Sounds normal, right? Well it would be, if i didn't have to be in at work at 8:30am!!! Totally worth it though, you'll love this game.

I'm a level 9 Necro/Warrior and have been soloing most of the game--doesn't detract from the fun factor at all, and the times I have been in a party--it has been even better.

The guys at Arenanet/NCSoft really know what they are doing, hopefully we can bring down the evil cost structure model that WOW and EQII have made the "norm". Once you try this game, you know these guys are in it for player enjoyment.

Trust me--you'll fall in love with this game just like all of us, and it's the best 40-50 bucks i've spent in a LONG time.

*Edit* I don't know if anyone mentioned it yet, but this game is HUGE. I had spent about 10 hours or so in the tutorial level of the game (Pre Searing Ascalon) and this was with me doing all the quests and not grinding at all. Once you open up the real world, boy is that thing even larger. Incredible, simply incredible!

I know more than Moxio... Its just tI spend more time playing and cant be bothered to post about it ;-)

In the beta I had a 20** Ranger/monk. (** means I obtained two levels over 20). You could still get skill and ability points every level... so... who knows if they changed it.

My beta monk/war could solo anything anywhere. I mean solo... I could do 6 player missions by myself.

Level 10 now, just bought full Bonelace set.

Trying to finish that one quest that gives 2k xp is a pain in the ass.

[quote name='JDMxB']Level 10 now, just bought full Bonelace set.

Trying to finish that one quest that gives 2k xp is a pain in the ass.[/QUOTE]

The ghost one? The first part is pretty easy... the second one where you need to get her ashes is... not so easy. :evil:

Hey guys I have a question... I restarted my character and got him to level 5 but Im still in old Ascalon. I can't remember where to get the stupid primary quest to get out. Can anyone tell me where to go/ get it. Im now under "Cloud Dead" as well. :)

Just wanted to thank you guys for letting me in the guild...I really wanted to play this game with folks where we would have a forum available for discussion.

I just made lvl 8 with a R/W. Just started the first of the post-searing missions...if you guys ever see me online and need an extra to join your party, don't be a stranger!

Toper

[quote name='clockworkvictim']Hey guys I have a question... I restarted my character and got him to level 5 but Im still in old Ascalon. I can't remember where to get the stupid primary quest to get out. Can anyone tell me where to go/ get it. Im now under "Cloud Dead" as well. :)[/QUOTE]

Speak to Sir Tydus -- he will ask if you want to go to the Academy.

After a short PVP, you're in!

Oh yea, can you add me to the guild as well, i've been meaning to ask but just never had the opportunity.

CAG Name -- JDMxB
GW Name -- Kratos Bloodfist

Thanks in advance, also--yea the part where you have to get the ashes...i only had a lvl 8 mesmer/elementalist and the fighter hench as well as the healer hench (both level 6). My party couldnt stay alive long enough to even come close!

I need some help. I want to get this game since I played the Beta on a friends computer, but I need a new computer to play it. I am thinking of getting another Dell since my computer is over 4 years old anyway and is slowing down a lot.

Since I have never really used a computer for gaming, I need some help on choosing the amount of RAM I need for this game and the graphics card. I haven't looked on Dell's site yet much, but I did see at least two choise for the graphics card -

256MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) ATI Radeon™ X850 XT PE
256MB PCI Express™ x16 (DVI/VGA/TV-out) nVidia GeForce 6800
There may be more since I haven't looked around much, but I was just wondering if either of these would get the job done. I can figure uot the rest of the computer stuff I would want/like, but I wanted some opinions on this. Also, I probably won't play other games on the computer, i just prefer consoles to the PC.

[quote name='greendj27']I was just wondering if either of these would get the job done.[/QUOTE]

Green, those are two of the most powerful cards on the market right now. They would get God done.

[quote name='Ledhed']Green, those are two of the most powerful cards on the market right now. They would get God done.[/QUOTE]

Hahahahaha, I told you I knew nothing about video cards!

Edit: Okay, so if either of those is fine then how much RAM do I need? I just want it to run well and not have to pay for a bunch of extra RAM.

Crystal, can you edit the OP to say contact either Moxio or myself if you're interested in joining? I play a lot and don't always check the forum.

Also, to get a guild hall, we need to win the Pimeval Kings tournament and obtain a Celestial Sigil.... or buy one for 5k.

There are quite a number of them. If you want to look at them, go to Lion's Arch and talk to the boat captain.

Lastly... I'd like a little feed back on the logos. I don't want to make it and then have people bitch, so speak up now.

[quote name='Kayden']Crystal, can you edit the OP to say contact either Moxio or myself if you're interested in joining? I play a lot and don't always check the forum.

Also, to get a guild hall, we need to win the Pimeval Kings tournament and obtain a Celestial Sigil.... or buy one for 5k.

There are quite a number of them. If you want to look at them, go to Lion's Arch and talk to the boat captain.

Lastly... I'd like a little feed back on the logos. I don't want to make it and then have people bitch, so speak up now.[/QUOTE]

I'd really like to be in the guild. Ill contact you sometime when I'm on.

Begin emblem debate.

GODOFWAR.jpg

7 is my favorite. I like the B&W because it wont horrible clash with any colors. Red capes will look stupid on a green mez or pink on a black necro...

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back