The Official PlayStation Vita Thread - 11/4: FW 3.00 Coming Just in Time for the PS4 Launch!

LiveArea looks a bit dated. And they couldn't choose a name that doesn't have the word "Live" in it? Will there be an XMB at all this time?

[quote name='Scorch']There you go.. there's your backwards compatibility. Re-buy your games, your UMD's are useless![/QUOTE]

Glad I traded in most of my non-square UMDs. Whew....

[quote name='Scorch']bahaha, a stream of a stream.. so lame, but it works

CAPCOM REPRESENTATIVE TAKING THE STAGE![/QUOTE]

I linked to the direct feed above

From the side:

sony-tokyo-event-1387.jpg

Hot Shots Golf:

sony-tokyo-event-1473.jpg

Uncharted:

sony-tokyo-event-1414.jpg

Just realized, there's no L2/R2 is there? :/

Also wondering if there's any L3 and R3 functionality. This thing could clearly run PS2 games, but without those things it won't happen

[quote name='ssjmichael']Just realized, there's no L2/R2 is there? :/

Also wondering if there's any L3 and R3 functionality. This thing could clearly run PS2 games, but without those things it won't happen[/QUOTE]

You could probably map L2/R2 to the touch pad on the back.

Lost Planet NGP!

Yakuza NGP!

Brain Asplode!

/edit: Yakuza 4 is being PORTED! Wow

/edit2: Seems like Yakuza 4 port was just a "demo of how easy it is to port a game over".

I don't even know how they're accomplishing this. Like honestly, what will the battery life be like on this thing? A 5" touchscreen, rear touchpanels AND PS3 visuals? That's got to be a battery draining combo. I am pretty amazed though

sony still has time to adjust the hardware before the release. To get most out without killing the batts. oled must be very advance power saving screen.

[quote name='retro.elite']sony still has time to adjust the hardware before the release. To get most out without killing the batts. oled must be very advance power saving screen.[/QUOTE]

I'm excited about the black level OLED will bring. No more greyish background.

I really really hope that with this, Sony and other devs take more advantage of the Remote Play feature. Being able to play actual PS3 games, and even watch Blu-rays on the Go would be amazing.

I'm excited that this time they are allowing the system to be easier to develop on. "The power of the cellz" didn't exactly help out third party developers til later on for the PS3...

They don't even have an official name for it yet, so the lack of pricing isn't that surprising. Much of the presentation was a tech demo showing what it's capable of. Nintendo did the same exact tihing when they unveiled the 3DS last year

Wasn't there supposed to be a "Go" (sliding screen) version of it? Those analog sticks sure do stick out a lot; definitely not pocket friendly without a case.

No slider version to avoid Go comparisons.

Some more screenshots:

More LiveArea shots:
sony-tokyo-event-1445.jpg

In-Game LiveArea:
sony-tokyo-event-1447.jpg

Friends Feed:
sony-tokyo-event-1453.jpg

Near GPS Map:
sony-tokyo-event-1459.jpg

Most Popular Games In The Area:
sony-tokyo-event-1469.jpg

Monster Hunter Portable 3rd:
sony-tokyo-event-1489.jpg

Yakuza Tech Demo:
sony-tokyo-event-1518.jpg

Dynasty Warriors Tech Demo:
sony-tokyo-event-1522.jpg

Epic Citadel:
sony-tokyo-event-1564.jpg

Dungeon Defenders Demo (took a week to port it over):
sony-tokyo-event-1572.jpg

And the official US post about the NGP:

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/01/26/introducing-the-next-generation-of-portable-gaming/
PlayStation fans across North America will be waking up to some exciting news tomorrow. At PlayStation Meeting 2011 in Japan a few moments ago, Kazuo Hirai, President and Group CEO, SCEI, introduced the world to the newest addition to the PlayStation product family and the future of portable gaming: currently codenamed NGP (Next Generation Portable).

5391825299_879d0fc37f.jpg

5391827189_33b1548d27_m.jpg
5391827373_a02359bc7e_m.jpg

When PSP first launched in 2005 in North America it changed the way people thought of portable gaming and raised expectations in regards to the variety and quality of games users expected to access while on the go. It has since become the go-to handheld entertainment system for more than 64 million users who seek home entertainment quality games along with access to their music, movies, photos and more.

5392425792_b7bfb44b64.jpg

With NGP we carry on this rich history of redefining industry standards and raising the bar for consumer expectations for what portable gaming can deliver. Designed to blur the lines between interactive entertainment and reality, the NGP will offer Wi-Fi and 3G network connectivity. The 5-inch OLED front multi-touch display will bring brilliant images to life and the multi-touch pad on the rear will allow users to engage with the game and characters with a simple movement of their fingertips. Additionally, services created specifically for NGP will be available on PlayStation Network. These services are designed help users take their gameplay, as well as interaction with other gamers, to new levels.

While we here at PlayStation are thrilled to bring this cutting-edge technology to your fingertips, we all know that content is critical to the success for all of our platforms. I’m pleased to share that your favorite franchises will be coming to NGP, including Uncharted and Call of Duty. We are working with our extensive network of 3rd party developers and publishers as well as SCE Worldwide Studios to create experiences unlike anything else on the market.

Also announced this evening was PlayStation Suite, an entirely new initiative from PlayStation that will provide fans with the opportunity to enjoy PlayStation content on an open operating system for the first time in PlayStation history. PlayStation Suite will work with Android based, “PlayStation Certified” portable devices – including mobile phones, smart-phones, and tablet PCs – to offer “PlayStation quality” content to users worldwide. In addition to providing a selection of PS one Classics, we are also working with developers to create new and exciting content that will be available on both PlayStation Certified devices and the new NGP when it comes to market

I think you will agree that the incredible momentum behind PlayStation continues to grow with each passing year. While 2010 was record breaking thanks to an unsurpassed line-up of award winning AAA software, the introduction of 3D entertainment into millions of homes and the launch of our incredibly successful PlayStation Move motion controller, 2011 is already shaping up to be one of our biggest years yet.
The rear touchpad actually has triangle, circle, X, and square icons all over it. :lol:

[quote name='deviousnaraku']Wasn't there supposed to be a "Go" (sliding screen) version of it? Those analog sticks sure do stick out a lot; definitely not pocket friendly without a case.[/QUOTE]

That's what I was thinking. Maybe they're push-in? Removable? A bulge in your pants?

[quote name='Indignate']That's what I was thinking. Maybe they're push-in? Removable? A bulge in your pants?[/QUOTE]

Or go flavor flav

Thanks for the pics FriskyTanuki.

I was definitely looking forward to the rumored sliding version of it. The Go's design is great, stylish, compact, and most importantly - pocket friendly. I guess too many people complained about it (the controls) being "too small." O'well, I'll most likely wait a year or two to buy one. We ALL know they'll make revisions to make it smaller and hopefully more pocket friendly like the Go.

Updated the OP with as much info as I could remember with a games list and closer pictures of the front and back of the system.

I'm interested in seeing how this thing evolves from the prototype now to what it looks like at launch.

I love the curved edges and the partially matte finish. I think the only thing bugging me is the odd design on the rear touchpad.

I know its too early for a price, but it just seems like it would have been a hell of a blow to the 3DS launch if they couldve said itll be releasing for $249.

My dream of buying content and being able to access it at home and on the go might be a bit closer! :)

Picking up a $60 title (could be digital form) and then being able to load it on your home console and then your portable unit (perhaps in a watered down version) is something I would love the industry to do.

bread's done
Back