The Official PlayStation Vita Thread - 11/4: FW 3.00 Coming Just in Time for the PS4 Launch!

[quote name='NamPaehc']My dream of buying content and being able to access it at home and on the go might be a bit closer! :)

Picking up a $60 title (could be digital form) and then being able to load it on your home console and then your portable unit (perhaps in a watered down version) is something I would love the industry to do.[/QUOTE]

I was thinking the same thing.

"dedicated flash memory-based cards" means that is what you will buy in a store? So you'll go pick up a Killzone Portable memory card?

I couldn't be more excited about this. It looks amazing! I hope the 3G is Kindle style and free. I can't imagine subscribing to anything other than PSN+ to get access.

What a great piece of hardware! Did anyone else find it sort of odd that most of the game franchises confirmed are US/UK-developed? I wonder if the heavy-hitter Japanese developers are on board yet, or to put the question another way - will high-profile original Japanese-developed titles be ready to ship at launch, or are they 6-12 months behind on development? Guess we'll learn more at E3 and Tokyo Game Show.

I hate the form factor..so much for all the renderings of it being a slider like the PSP Go.. suddenly I'm taken back to 2005 all over again. Plus, this probably means that in 2 years, a new-new model will come out, and it will be a slider..

thats all I wanted to say, all the excitement was just sucked out of me..

Sony listened to every piece of advice that was given to them reference what was wanted in a PSP 2. I'm hoping that the PSP2 will be able to connect to Netflix. The question is.. if you had 499 to spend would you buy a PSP 2 or an IPAD?

Looks pretty incredible.

Not super portable, but more of a "throw it in your bag" portable similar to the iPad.

If they can manage 299.99, and the launch has something like Uncharted, I'd be all over it.

[quote name='seanr1221']Looks pretty incredible.

Not super portable, but more of a "throw it in your bag" portable similar to the iPad.

If they can manage 299.99, and the launch has something like Uncharted, I'd be all over it.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you.. that 299.99 price tag would be just right.

[quote name='Thomas96']I agree with you.. that 299.99 price tag would be just right.[/QUOTE]

The only way I see it being $299.99 at launch is if they drop the price of the PS3 before it.

Also, this whole scenario is playing out exactly like DS vs. PSP.

[quote name='KingBroly']The only way I see it being $299.99 at launch is if they drop the price of the PS3 before it.

Also, this whole scenario is playing out exactly like DS vs. PSP.[/QUOTE]

Why would they drop the price of the PS3?

NGP is a beast.

This IS playing out exactly like the DS vs. PSP. 3DS does something new while NGP refines what has been done (by Nintendo).

This seems typical Sony. Put something out to a ton of hype, it looks godly and gets people excited....then announce a price tag $100-$200 over what it should be and loose all steam. As others have said if Sony can get this out for $300 with a few big titles like Uncharted and Call of Duty then it has a shot at being big(def with hardcore market)but chances are they will go $400+ and ruin everything with their greed.

Another big selling point could be PSN. Someone at kotaku said that this will run current PSN games, if Sony actually does that this could be huge. Imagine any of your PSN games like Fat princess, Joe Danger or Pacman CE DX work on this. It would have a nice built in library from day one.

YES! Thank god it still runs real retail games! THANK YOU SONY! I was SOOOO scared it was going to be activation laden downloads only, so that rocks, and I guess carts are big enough now that they can replace UMDs okay, though I still think UMDs rocked. No backwards compatibility, but in a portable I'm okay with that...I mean I don't like it, but at least Sony has a real reason for this in this system.

So I don't want "3D" and am don't know if Nintendo's screen will really be normal when it's off, so I'm super iffy about that. May just stick to PSP2, PSP, and DS. I mean as it is, the PSP's already roughly as powerful as the 3DS (actually 25% better on paper) and has a larger screen, so....

I don't like OMLED or whatever screens. I'd like an IPS screen. BUT of course I LOVE that it's 5"! fuck these losers with the "oh dear, I'm just so weak that I can not possibly heft a PSP". The fuckING LAUNCH PSP was plenty portable, and down right sexy (it was the same size as the DS for crying out loud). 4.3" rocks. 5"? That rocks. I'm glad that it's bigger, that's just what I wanted, and I didn't expect it.

So lets talk tech! What do you guys think? I've heard rumors it's 1GB...not sure if that's true, but I hope it is.

What about the CPU and GPU? Here's where things get weird... the PSP1 was completely custom hardware. Analysts at the time said Sony was the only company on Earth in a position to pull off that hardware in 2004/2005. The fact that it's STILL really unsurpassed is amazing (and that at least on paper the 3DS is similar, but clocked 25% slower).

But this of course uses off the shelf components...but it uses a lot of them.

So far we don't have a single Cortex A9 based 'thing' shipping. I don't really know how Cortex A9 really compares clock for clock against say an Atom CPU, let alone a Sandy Bridge core...I get the impression that even though it has out of order execution, it's really not up to speed against modern x86 hardware, though I don't know why (not that this would be surprising, given these things are designed to be ultra low power).

But still...they took ARM's current best actually ready to ship core, and they put FOUR of them in it.

Similar deal with the GPU, and I'm even more worried about that. Basically a lot of stuff now uses PowerVR's SGX 535 or 530 or one of those. They're not BAD considering, but I'm not sure how they really compete with the PSP's GPU. They support some newer features, but I don't know that I've ever seen a 535 do something as impressive as the better PSP stuff...but then too it could actually be a bit better but the PSP of course is a dedicated game system, and that's always a huge benefit.

So anyway, 535...I don't know, it's okay. The 543 supposedly has 50-100% the performance of the 535, and the PSP2 uses FOUR of them too. So...if nothing else it ought to have 6x the GPU performance at minimum of Apple's stuff, and so that does clearly make it better than the PSP 1, so that's cool.

Although...4 CPUs and 4 GPUs? How efficient is that? It's probably smart of Sony to not go through the expense of using custom hardware again, but it is kind of funny like, okay, once again there's nothing off the shelf powerful enough, so...uh...throw in four of everything LOL.

I have no idea either how those GPUs scale...not sure there's ever been multi-PowerVR setups before.

But what the hell, at worst, it's clearly better than every other portable out there by a landslide. It's got a 5" screen. It's got Sony's kick-ass developer support. At worst we're talking about another amazing portable.

To the person who though Nintendo's getting steamrolled though...remember this is an exact repeat of the DS and PSP. For reasons I really don't understand, the PSP started off well, and I think among real gamers is beloved (and I see it used here at work just as much as the DS) but at some point there was this weird random anti-PSP thing that came about. The PSP 1 is Dreamcast/PS2/Gamecube/Wii/Xbox class hardware. The PSP2...well I'm not sure if it's really current gen class or not, but clearly it's better than everything else but the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3, at worst...and once again it's up against Nintendo that's a generation behind, has one fewer analog sticks, and will probably have better battery life and a cheaper price...

So prepare for a repeat...a real, kickass system that inexplicably gets attacked for things like "this just has real games! I don't want to play real games on a portable! I want to play crappy, 'portable' games!" and other utterly dumbfounding things like that...just get ready for it, but oh well, I'll continue to mock those who just can't heft a PSP (and apparently never change channels on their TV, given how heavy the remote is).

For me, I'd still buy a 3DS...if not for the 3D. I still want Paper Mario and Pilotwings, but not on a 3D screen (and as always with Nintendo, I'm left wanting them on better hardware...like I am with every single DS or Wii game that I like...it's like dudes, if only this were on the PSP/PS3...)

[quote name='MSI Magus'] Another big selling point could be PSN. Someone at kotaku said that this will run current PSN games, if Sony actually does that this could be huge. Imagine any of your PSN games like Fat princess, Joe Danger or Pacman CE DX work on this. It would have a nice built in library from day one.[/QUOTE]

This would be great...

[quote name='AdmrlBalls']This would be great...[/QUOTE]

Yes, yes it would. If they launch at $300 even though that is a very solid price I do not think I could bring myself to buy one right away and would wait for a sale. However, if it was $300 and I could play all my PSN games on it....I think id have to buy one. Even more so if Sony gets their act together and starts getting PS2 games up on PSN.

ROFL !!!
Saw this on another thread on CAG

sony_bullshit_anim4.gif

[quote name='iKilledChewbacca']ROFL !!!
Saw this on another thread on CAG

sony_bullshit_anim4.gif
[/QUOTE]

It does not seem fitting though. They gave in to most of what fans want and the buzz seems good in general. The only thing negative is pricing which is something we do not know yet, just something people are assuming(and probably correctly so)that Sony will screw up.

Hmmmm so another big selling point IF true. Someone at Kotaku said they saw a confirmation from a developer that they were working on a game that you would be able to download your PS3 version to your PSP2 and play. Again id put this in the big rumor category, but if there were games designed to play on both systems that would be a huge selling point.

[quote name='MSI Magus']It does not seem fitting though. They gave in to most of what fans want and the buzz seems good in general. The only thing negative is pricing which is something we do not know yet, just something people are assuming(and probably correctly so)that Sony will screw up.[/QUOTE]

Yeaaaaaah, that seems idiotic, to put it mildly. Nintendo Fanboi I guess who (since the Wii) thinks powerful hardware is bad. (Before the Wii they liked powerful hardware. The change that just happened to take place when the Wii's specs were announced is just coincidental timing.)

[quote name='MSI Magus']Hmmmm so another big selling point IF true. Someone at Kotaku said they saw a confirmation from a developer that they were working on a game that you would be able to download your PS3 version to your PSP2 and play. Again id put this in the big rumor category, but if there were games designed to play on both systems that would be a huge selling point.[/QUOTE]

Hideo Kojima said that during the Playstatoin Meeting. Kojima would like to some day have cloud gaming; so its more vision or dream of his.

A non user serviceable battery is sort of a downer for me. Especially since I just had the battery in one of my ps3 controllers die.

I think I'm going to have to wait on this until it has been released to the wild and someone eventually takes one apart.

[quote name='Gourd']A non user serviceable battery is sort of a downer for me. Especially since I just had the battery in one of my ps3 controllers die.

I think I'm going to have to wait on this until it has been released to the wild and someone eventually takes one apart.[/QUOTE]

yeah, that killed my excitement :whistle2:/

I HATE sealed batteries, and it's bad enough the Dual Shock is sealed. At least that you can SORT OF get apart and pull the battery our (though it's a total pain). This could be easier, or a lot lot harder, plus I actually want the battery in there since I do sometimes use these on battery...

Damn it. Every single system released since the PSP has some big problem with it that annoys the hell out of me.

[quote name='Ionotropic']Should I stop buying UMDs now? Or better yet, let Square-Enix start releasing their games on PSN.[/QUOTE]

I cant speak for everyone, but I stopped favoring physical titles for the PSP. I figure I should sell off most titles I don't play while there still is a semblance of a market. As for buying DD titles, there are sales, you just have to be patient. Also, if you check out the Trading section here on CAG you can usually get some good deals on PSN cards or games themselves. One examples being I replaced my Yggdra Union at a profit by selling it for $10 online and then picking up a $7 DD code in a lowball.

I dont understand why are people calling it
NGP... it was said by a sony official that is a code name they are throwing around. I think its a whack name anyways.

Edit: Also, if you want me to buy this sony. Make it cheaper then the 3ds. Oh whats that? not gonna happen. Sorry N.G.P = Not gonna buy.

Why should a system that's 10x more powerful cost less?

Only reason I may not get it is the sealed battery.

[quote name='Big St3ph3n']I dont understand why are people calling it
NGP... it was said by a sony official that is a code name they are throwing around. I think its a whack name anyways.

Edit: Also, if you want me to buy this sony. Make it cheaper then the 3ds. Oh whats that? not gonna happen. Sorry N.G.P = Not gonna buy.[/QUOTE]

NGP would = Not Gonna Pay. A P is not a b. Or a d. otherwise I'd be poopofpoops. That name's reserved for Bono.

Very nifty piece of hardware. Hopefully the price would not be too high.

Fanboyism is something I will never understand. Bashing only leads to unnecessary hostilities when you can instead share fun gaming stories with others regardless of the platform. This is a GREAT time to be a videogamer, really. 3DS and NGP will each have great games of their own for us to play so why not enjoy both (if you can afford)? S'all, folks!

As a person who primarily plays 1st and 3rd person shooters, the NGP stands out to me a lot more than the 3DS.

I'd really like to imagine this hitting a $299 price point, but my gut says Sony will charge $350-$499 for it.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Wolfpup']I don't know, it's sounding like both have really lame issues that keep them from being awesome.[/QUOTE]

Why is the battery such a big deal to some of you? I have never had to temper with my systems battery less it was for piracy....so I really do not see what the big deal is.

Because I don't want to have to buy a new console every couple hundred uses or whatever. Even aside from that the PSP 1 you can pull the battery out and still use it, which is awesome.

So I've got lame "3D" screen on one, and lame sealed battery on the other. Wish it was the 3DS with the sealed battery.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Because I don't want to have to buy a new console every couple hundred uses or whatever. Even aside from that the PSP 1 you can pull the battery out and still use it, which is awesome.

So I've got lame "3D" screen on one, and lame sealed battery on the other. Wish it was the 3DS with the sealed battery.[/QUOTE]

I have never had to replace a systems battery and I put 100s and 100s of hours in on each of my handhold. So again I do not see what the issue is.

Well I don't know how that's possible. Lithium batteries are damaged more by discharge, and my cell phone tears through batteries waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay faster than I want to buy new systems.

Even aside from that, I want to be able to continue playing these things decades after they stop making them.

[quote name='moojuice']As a person who primarily plays 1st and 3rd person shooters, the NGP stands out to me a lot more than the 3DS.

I'd really like to imagine this hitting a $199 price point, but my gut says Sony will charge $350-$499 for it.[/QUOTE]

Gamestop wants $999.99.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Well I don't know how that's possible. Lithium batteries are damaged more by discharge, and my cell phone tears through batteries waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay faster than I want to buy new systems.

Even aside from that, I want to be able to continue playing these things decades after they stop making them.[/QUOTE]

Like I said I have never ran in to this problem. Even with my cell phone which is now about 5 or 6 years old. Do you let your systems die? Like do you let the battery die? I always charge mine far before they die.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Like I said I have never ran in to this problem. Even with my cell phone which is now about 5 or 6 years old. Do you let your systems die? Like do you let the battery die? I always charge mine far before they die.[/QUOTE]

Me too. I have no idea how a battery can even last that long. Mine go maybe a year in my phone (maybe 2, but then it's discharged noticeably just sitting idle), which like I said I don't even use much.

For lithium batteries they normally say the lifespan is 2 years from production even if you don't use it. In my experience they can be fine after that through if they haven't really been used. But 5-6? They should be useless years before that. On a game system where I actually could easily burn down the battery...heck, 2x a day if I got stuck somewhere...I can't imagine it lasting a year. Probably notice a difference after a month.

bread's done
Back