The Official PlayStation Vita Thread - 11/4: FW 3.00 Coming Just in Time for the PS4 Launch!

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']No locking saves and DLC to the card, no locking the game to the system, and no requiring a constant WiFi/3G connection to play the game.[/QUOTE]

It's nice to dream. But when Sony does announce that you won't be able to transfer saves off of the NGP's cartridges, you just remember who called it.

Now I'm a little disappointed that I'm passing up on GDC this year. I just know Sony will probably have the NGP there. Would have loved to see it up close. Perhaps they will release more news about Android apps on the NGP around that time. (and I'm crossing my fingers for NGP support being added to Epic's UDK)

All in all, competition is good for the industry. And I for one wish Sony well with their new platform. I still think their approach to this new handheld is risky, but I applaud their daring, and the various chances they're taking. I can't wait to see what developers are able to do with this new device.

As much hate as the PSPgo got, I have to say I would have preferred if the PSP2 took on it's form factor. I really liked it aesthetically and it was as portable if not more so than the DS. If was a hardware designer I'd just make the PSP2 a wider Go unit that could comfortably accommodate the analog sticks.

All in all, I'm somewhat disappointed that both the 3DS and the PSP2 look pretty much just like their predecessors. I guess I just wanted something I haven't seen before.

[quote name='DQT']As much hate as the PSPgo got, I have to say I would have preferred if the PSP2 took on it's form factor. I really liked it aesthetically and it was as portable if not more so than the DS. If was a hardware designer I'd just make the PSP2 a wider Go unit that could comfortably accommodate the analog sticks.

All in all, I'm somewhat disappointed that both the 3DS and the PSP2 look pretty much just like their predecessors. I guess I just wanted something I haven't seen before.[/QUOTE]

You and me both but both co. took the "If it ain't broke, why fix it" path in terms of design.

If the touchscreen works like I think it's going to work, then I'm sold! My daughter absolutely loves my ipod touch (angry birds and peggle) so if I can get the Android versions and still use the touchscreen, it'll be the best of both worlds. Can't. fucking. Wait.

[quote name='bingbangboom']I don't really think Nintendo will be doing this sort of anti-piracy tech on the 3DS because they need retail. Nintendo is a family company and typically say in a family with 3 kids, one game may be passed down to the next. They also want to make it easy enough that a kid opens the box and just plays it. Requiring any sort of serial number will just be too complicated. Nintendo doesn't care about used game market as much as other companies because they are the smartest company with it and here is why... they don't mark their games down!

Look at Mario Kart DS, the game came out ages ago and yet the MSRP is still $34.99! [/quote]

I don't think Mario Kart is the greatest thing ever, but anyway you're brought up something here...if theft is really so bad, how is it Nintendo can still sell a lot of these games at full price? How is it Sony keeps a lot of games on the market in the Greatest Hits line? (And a lot of publishers even rereleased stuff to it, or at $10 in some cases.)

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Depends on when you're talking about for the poor sales. In the past three years, the developers revolted because of the piracy issues, causing a drought that probably killed off most of the general interest in the system.[/quote]

When did this happen? The PSP and DS maybe don't get the support I'd like, but they still have a ton of big games. In the PSP's case, last year brought the first (real) Kingdom Hearts game in 5 years, Metal Gear Solid 5, the fifth God of War, and piles of weird Japanese RPGs and the like, and that's just what I'm remembering. Not sure what's coming this year as both platforms are probably winding down for better or worse, but the PSP has Parasite Eve 3 coming in a few months, which is a game I've been drooling over since finishing the second one early last decade, and the DS has this awesome looking Metroid-style game who's name I can't recall, and I'm sure there's more.

It just needs to continue to be as simple as it is now. No locking saves and DLC to the card, no locking the game to the system, and no requiring a constant WiFi/3G connection to play the game.

Regarding this, I'm okay with saves being on game cartridges, maybe because that's how game cartridges have almost always done it, although I'd prefer they be able to be saved elsewhere too. But I'm okay with that...but NOT with games you don't own through activation.

I figure this isn't the case, but is it possible this ISN'T the PSP2? Remember all the rumors about something...basically an Android phone running off the shelf hardware, touch screen, cell phone stuff, etc... this basically matches up with that (although it's bigger and more powerful than I was expecting that to be).

But what if there's an actual PSP 2 that's even better? Replaceable battery, maybe no gimmicks, maybe custom hardware?

Oh well, probably wishful thinking.

[quote name='bingbangboom']If there is one thing that Nintendo must learn about the next handheld it is to accept that not just children play it's handheld. I don't have a problem with a parent mode but give gamers the option with the features. Nintendo needs to develop it's own social network ala Xbox Live. Use the 3DS for this and bring it to the next console.[/QUOTE]

Kind of a side point, but I don't like the way some of the 360/PS3 online stuff is handled with respect to kids. I honestly and in good faith signed both my boys up with their actual ages on Xbox Live and PSN and am now regretting it. Yes, both systems have parental controls to lock out certain online aspects (chat, video, M-rated stuff) and I'm all for that.

But my 8 year-old, who played NBA Jam constantly for the better part of 2 months and was damn good at it (he can beat me), decided he wanted to go online to get some of the online-only trophies. What the fuck - he's locked out from playing because of his age :bomb:. This is a fucking E-rated game! I know that isn't MS or Sony's fault since it is EA doing that, but it really pissed me off. I'm sorry, but I should be making that decision, not EA. My older son, who is now a pro at Halo (which thankfully doesn't lock him out) tried to play Battlefield Bad Company 2 and likewise he was locked out by Activision. I can sort of understand that one a bit more in that it is an M-rated game (but then, so is Halo Reach). But once again, shouldn't that be my choice? And yes, triple-checked that I has all access open to them via the parental controles on the consoles. (Or at the very very least, do not make trophies/achievements for online aspects if everyone does not have access to those - though they'd really just prefer to be able to play online).

Anyway, kind of off-topic, but this "tinkering for the sake of the kids" is something that I see as a bad trend in online gaming. People always accuse Nintendo of dumbing down online because of the kiddies (friend codes and the like) but the big-time next gen system developers do the same thing but in a more sneaky and IMO, underhanded way. All that is going to do is make people put in fake ages like they currently have to do to sign up for Facebook ;). The problem is neither of my boys wants to make new accounts, now because of their accumulated trophies/achievements.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I figure this isn't the case, but is it possible this ISN'T the PSP2? Remember all the rumors about something...basically an Android phone running off the shelf hardware, touch screen, cell phone stuff, etc... this basically matches up with that (although it's bigger and more powerful than I was expecting that to be).

But what if there's an actual PSP 2 that's even better? Replaceable battery, maybe no gimmicks, maybe custom hardware?

Oh well, probably wishful thinking.[/QUOTE]
No, NGP is PSP2.

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/26/sony-ericsson-xperia-play-playstation-phone-preview/

[quote name='Amblix']Still hoping they'll give these PSP2 games trophy support and can link PSN accounts to it.[/QUOTE]
They do have trophies and you should be able to use your PSN account that you used on the PSP and PS3.

Sony's really going all-in when it comes to mobile gaming, and not just with the NGP.

This is a great article from Eurogamer regarding the Playstation Suite and how it could change the entire mobile gaming landscape (including smartphones and tablets).

It still remains to be seen how seriously Sony will treat PlayStation Suite, but assuming that the firm is genuinely committed to this idea and willing to throw both development time and marketing dollars at it, it has the potential to change the landscape of mobile gaming significantly. At present, although Android is building up its installed base and Apple's iOS is really the only show in town with regard to gaming. A combination of factors are responsible - the fragmentation of Android devices, for example, and the fact that Android's store is seen by most developers to be far less appealing as a sales platform than the App Store.

Creating a certification and quality control system for games, along with a central PlayStation Store commercial platform, and stocking it with first-party and back catalogue titles to ensure that there's something to appeal to consumers from day one, has the potential to be a very disruptive move in this market. Some will argue, with justification, that it flies in the face of the ethos which has defined the surging success of mobile gaming in recent years - rapid development and deployment with a direct path to consumers, without the restrictions of a gatekeeper. Yet just because Sony isn't staying in line with that model doesn't mean that it can't become a serious threat to Apple's gaming dominance. Some consumers are happy to trade a little market freedom for a guarantee of quality - a concept Apple should be familiar with, given that it built its business on it.

PlayStation Suite, one might argue, is the final piece of the puzzle in Sony's strategy. It has allowed it to approach the PSP2 without the limitations which would have been imposed by having to compete directly with iOS devices - enabling it to create a device without phone functionality and even without being overly concerned with "pocketability". By extending PlayStation onto other mobile devices, the firm can safely allow PSP2 to be a premium product for the gamer demographic, without having to fear capitulation in the battle for hearts and minds among the more casual demographic.

So Sony is working to cover all bases. Home Console (PS3), hard core mobile gamers (NGP), and the casuals (smart phones and tablets).

Regarding price, Sony has to get this into as many people's hands as possible in order to ensure its relevance and get more developers on board ASAP. To this end, I hope Sony releases this at $300 for the wifi only version. I wouldn't be surprised if the 3G version was available at $200 or less with a 2-year contract on a carrier (AT&T, Sprint, Verizon, etc.) since they'll be making more money in the long run.

[quote name='Amblix']Still hoping they'll give these PSP2 games trophy support and can link PSN accounts to it.[/QUOTE]

AHHHHH I love your sig. I want Persona 2 Innocent Sin so freaking bad!

[quote name='io']Kind of a side point, but I don't like the way some of the 360/PS3 online stuff is handled with respect to kids. I honestly and in good faith signed both my boys up with their actual ages on Xbox Live and PSN and am now regretting it. Yes, both systems have parental controls to lock out certain online aspects (chat, video, M-rated stuff) and I'm all for that.

But my 8 year-old, who played NBA Jam constantly for the better part of 2 months and was damn good at it (he can beat me), decided he wanted to go online to get some of the online-only trophies. What the fuck - he's locked out from playing because of his age :bomb:. This is a fucking E-rated game! I know that isn't MS or Sony's fault since it is EA doing that, but it really pissed me off. I'm sorry, but I should be making that decision, not EA. My older son, who is now a pro at Halo (which thankfully doesn't lock him out) tried to play Battlefield Bad Company 2 and likewise he was locked out by Activision. I can sort of understand that one a bit more in that it is an M-rated game (but then, so is Halo Reach). But once again, shouldn't that be my choice? And yes, triple-checked that I has all access open to them via the parental controles on the consoles. (Or at the very very least, do not make trophies/achievements for online aspects if everyone does not have access to those - though they'd really just prefer to be able to play online).

Anyway, kind of off-topic, but this "tinkering for the sake of the kids" is something that I see as a bad trend in online gaming. People always accuse Nintendo of dumbing down online because of the kiddies (friend codes and the like) but the big-time next gen system developers do the same thing but in a more sneaky and IMO, underhanded way. All that is going to do is make people put in fake ages like they currently have to do to sign up for Facebook ;). The problem is neither of my boys wants to make new accounts, now because of their accumulated trophies/achievements.[/QUOTE]

Well, unfortunately it's a damned if you do, damned if you don't situation. With all of the paranoia and all of the sick people out there, these companies would be the first to be held responsible if some sicko groomed your 8 year old and ended up molesting him. In fact, I read a story about 3 years ago about these FBI tasks forces that are starting to get into these games (this case was Animal Crossing: City Folk). Apparently, the pedophiles are starting to use video games to get access to kids. It's sad and gross, but at least they're being proactive, because you're in the minority when it comes to parents--most parents probably have no idea what their kids are doing online.

But I do agree w/you, they should make it easier for the master account to allow their kids online in a controlled environment.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']They do have trophies and you should be able to use your PSN account that you used on the PSP and PS3.[/QUOTE]

That'll be so awesome.

[quote name='jh6269']AHHHHH I love your sig. I want Persona 2 Innocent Sin so freaking bad![/QUOTE]

Yup! One of the reason I won't be selling my PSP even after NGP comes out. :bouncy:

Doesn't look much bigger than the 3000 to me.
From engadget:
ngp-vs-01-gal-600.jpg

[quote name='Serpentor']I heard that GS is pricing the PSP2 at $250-$350? If it's $250, I'm getting two :) If it's $350, then one will do...[/QUOTE]
At $250, and if Uncharted is out day one, I'll be in line too.

[quote name='Serpentor']I heard that GS is pricing the PSP2 at $250-$350? If it's $250, I'm getting two :) If it's $350, then one will do...[/QUOTE]

If Sony was pricing it at $250 they would have shouted that from the mountaintops.

[quote name='foltzie']If Sony was pricing it at $250 they would have shouted that from the mountaintops.[/QUOTE]

There is still a small chance since they could have wanted to gauge reaction before announcing a price, but my guess is the same as yours. Chances are they have a price in mind and its higher then the 3DS so they did not announce it.

Shoot, it is big, but part of the reason it looks so big is because the screen alone is huge...almost as big as an entire DSi/DSLite

The control buttons actually seem to be grouped closer together and occupy less space than they do on the PSP-3000. But it's hard to make the device much smaller with such a huge screen and still fit buttons on the face of it.

PSP2-2000...slide out model like the PSPgo?

Damn, I didn't know the screen was that much bigger. It looks like the screen takes up about the same proportion of space as the older PSP models so the larger size really is all because of the larger screen.

P.S. That video of the games in progress is pretty impressive.

[quote name='javeryh']Here is the size comparison:

So the PSP2 is almost as wide as the iPad - that's pretty big.[/QUOTE]
Thanks for posting this chart!

The NGP looks closer in width to the 3000 than to the iPad, almost 2.25" shorter in fact. *shrug*

Last edited by a moderator:
Half an inch taller and half an inch wider than the PSP-3000? That's pretty impressive given the power squeezed in and the bigger screen. I hope people don't dwell on this too...

No effect on me since I'm not one to try and cram one of these in a pocket and carry them around. Handhelds = pooping entertainment

Don't forget that the PSP-1000 was also called the PSP "Phat" because it was also pretty darn thick. The PSP-2000/3000 were much thinner and less bulky even if the height and width were similar to the 1000.

The PSP2 is similar in thickness to the PSP-2000 (maybe a tad thinner if you trust the pre-release specs).

The weight was the key difference between the 1000 and later models, as it's only about a third thinner and I had to put my 1000 and 3000 side-by-side to notice it.

Yeah, the more I see about the PSP2, the more I think I'll get one near release time.

I may still get a 3DS, but I'm much less excited about the 3DS, which seems kind of gimmicky w/o really adding much new to the DSi. But since I skipped the DSi (I have 3 DS Lites), I figured I'll get the 3DS and get everything the DSi had and more (including $100 more?).

But the PS2...I'm too much of a bleeding edge tech geek to not get excited about something that sexy. Sure, they may come out with a PSP2go 6 months later (which would also be pretty awesome), but as long as it is sub-$300 I'm pretty sure I'll bite.

The thing looks really thick too, though. In fact, it reminds me of the old dogbone Atari Lynx, if anybody remembers that. It even has very similar indentations for your fingers. Obviously the shape isn't the same (etc, etc, etc), but the honkin' huge size is similar. Having said that, the dogbone Lynx was actually pretty comfortable device to play, even though it was honkin' huge. This would be a good gaming device to have around the house, but I wonder how much I would take it with me anywhere. Probably not at all.

EDIT: ok, I see it's not as thick as the PSP-3000, or even the DS/DSi, so it's not as bad as it looks in those photos.

[quote name='Vader582']Thanks for posting this chart!

The NGP looks closer in width to the 3000 than to the iPad, almost 2.25" shorter in fact. *shrug*[/QUOTE]

I was talking about the width of the iPad when holding it vertically - t's about the same as a PSP2 (7.17" to 7.47") and if you've ever held an iPad you know that's pretty big.

[quote name='javeryh']I was talking about the width of the iPad when holding it vertically - t's about the same as a PSP2 (7.17" to 7.47") and if you've ever held an iPad you know that's pretty big.[/QUOTE]
Ah I see. Still, not too much wider than the current PSP-3000 (6.69" vs 7.17"). I guess it's all relative. The iPad doesn't seem that wide to me when held vertically.

[quote name='Vader582']Ah I see. Still, not too much wider than the current PSP-3000. (6.69" vs 7.17") I guess it's all relative. The iPad doesn't seem that wide to me when held vertically.[/QUOTE]

True. We are talking about increments of less than 1/2". I'm sure the PSP2 size is no big deal. I get by just fine with my PSP 1000 which is way too big for my pocket but fits in my work bag and is easy enough to carry around.

The iPad is way bigger than the NGP, so I'd imagine that holding a device that's three times taller like that would be more awkward to hold than the NGP and PSP.

You know, I continue to be really impressed by the PSP *1*. I'm playing Chains of Olympus again (started it, 'paused' to play God of War 1 (Collection version), then switched back) and...damn...it's God of war, except the controls were slightly different are maybe slightly better, the graphics are better, and it feels more evened out so it doesn't have these super hard annoying parts (at least so far).

And that's still darned impressive to me, how powerful the PSP 1 is! I love the bigger screen on the NGP, the higher resolution (which it'll hopefully actually be able to render at...I'm a little worried about that...)

In a way it's less powerful for when it's launching than the PSP1 was, EXCEPT that the generation it's launching in to has no definitive end at this point, so it may coexist longer (while the PSP 1 of course was right at the tail end of that generation).

I just finished watching the entire NGP press conference, and I think I'm now going to get this pretty close to release day (given a reasonable price). That Hotshots Golf game looked amazing.

Kotaku posted an article today saying that most of the big developers they have talked to feel that the NGP is exactly what they wanted. Apparently the PS3 dev kit took several hours to get started on where they said the NGP kit boots up in 20 mins. They also commented on changes they feel gamers wanted to see, and the fact that they feel they can now easily design games for both a handhold and a console at the same time vs having to make each game completely separately.

I am hella excited about the PSP2 and think it could be a hardcore gamers dream come true....but since this is Sony I can not help but constantly wait for the other shoe to drop. I mean this is what Sony does. They announce something to great buzz and ooos and aaahs then turn us all off with a stupid move like pricing.

[quote name='MSI Magus']They also commented on changes they feel gamers wanted to see, and the fact that they feel they can now easily design games for both a handhold and a console at the same time vs having to make each game completely separately.[/QUOTE]

Wait, so will I be able to play a game on my NGP, and continue on my PS3? Is that what it means? That would be... well... orgasmic.

[quote name='elessar123']Wait, so will I be able to play a game on my NGP, and continue on my PS3? Is that what it means? That would be... well... orgasmic.[/QUOTE]

If firmware 3.6 does indeed have the ability to save Save files in "the cloud", there becomes no reason why developers couldn't have games that could be started on PS3, can be continued on NGP, and so on. It would require a game to exist on both PS3 and NGP, be near identical, and require both to have web access, but the end result would just be glorious.

bread's done
Back