The Official PlayStation Vita Thread - 11/4: FW 3.00 Coming Just in Time for the PS4 Launch!

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Now to get back on topic, this is kinda of a shocker if it is indeed true. http://kotaku.com/#!5782436/ngp-to-be-priced-at-250-but-also-350

If it is indeed $250 I still wont buy one until they get exclusive portable games that isn't a direct console ripoff which is only what I see so far in the NGP. I don't hate the NGP, it's just I don't want to play the same games I do on PS3. No point in spending more money to play the same games.[/QUOTE]
$250?! I'd be there day one.
If this is indeed true, Nintendo got some 'splainin' to do! :lol:

I'm with you Wolfpup! Fight the good fight! Nintendo and MS both get free "get out of jail" cards for some reason with certain gamers.

If its $250 they may be able to give Nintendo a run, its just too bad they did not get this info out sooner to counter the 3DS's head start. At $250 if they can get it out with uncharted pretty fast I may grab one at launch.

I think it is still conjecture at this point because this info comes from a survey that wasn't even conducted by Sony. Nintendo set the bar at $250 with the 3DS (Sony tried to set it at $250 with the PSPgo and failed).

While the two consoles have major differences, if some people can only afford one portable system they have to make a choice between the two and price is one of the factors they will consider.

I think 3D on the 3DS is a neat gimmick, but it isn't a game changer. All of the 3D games will still need to function as 2D games, so the 3D aspect will offer an enhanced but not unique gameplay experience.

I think the NGP gives developers all the tools they need to create any kind of game that might be released on the 3DS (just without the 3D enhancements) as well as many other types of games that wouldn't be possible on the 3DS (dual joysticks, larger screen, back touch screen, etc).

Hopefully Sony will be able to keep the manufacturing costs low enough to support a $250 price point at release, but we'll have to wait to know for sure.

[quote name='MSI Magus']If its $250 they may be able to give Nintendo a run, its just too bad they did not get this info out sooner to counter the 3DS's head start. At $250 if they can get it out with uncharted pretty fast I may grab one at launch.[/QUOTE]

We'll see, but I'm wondering how much of a headstart the 3DS will really get because most of the people I know that are buying one near release would have bought one regardless, so it isn't an either/or situation related to the price of the NGP.

For myself, even though I can afford both, I'm holding off on the 3DS until more games come out and to see how it performs in the real world. The shorter battery life and slower performance on DS games is a concern, so I'll see how that situation evolves before I buy a 3DS because with the lack of new 3DS games I want, those problems will directly impact me since the majority of my time will be spent on DS games.

I just hope that Sony does a better job of releasing a good set of top-tier NGP games at release than Nintendo did with the 3DS.

[quote name='DarkonJohn']We'll see, but I'm wondering how much of a headstart the 3DS will really get because most of the people I know that are buying one near release would have bought one regardless, so it isn't an either/or situation related to the price of the NGP.

For myself, even though I can afford both, I'm holding off on the 3DS until more games come out and to see how it performs in the real world. The shorter battery life and slower performance on DS games is a concern, so I'll see how that situation evolves before I buy a 3DS because with the lack of new 3DS games I want, those problems will directly impact me since the majority of my time will be spent on DS games.

I just hope that Sony does a better job of releasing a good set of top-tier NGP games at release than Nintendo did with the 3DS.[/QUOTE]

People like me and you will wait on the 3DS because of its lack of killer software, but people like me and you for the most part will buy every major system anyways. Most consumers meanwhile only will buy 1 handheld for their kids, hell I have heard parents telling their kid they just bought a normal DS 2 or 3 years ago so they are not getting a 3DS. Now try justifying to those same parents buying a NGP! First off if they already bought a 3DS it aint happening period(and many kids will get it just because Americans spoil their kids stupid these days)but second off that it does not play their backlog of DS titles will also kill it.

Consumers are different from gamers, thats why Kinect is a huge succese despite a lack of games...same with the Wii.

[quote name='DarkonJohn']...The shorter battery life and slower performance on DS games is a concern[/quote]

Regular DS games run slower? If so, I wonder why? That's weird!

I just hope that Sony does a better job of releasing a good set of top-tier NGP games at release than Nintendo did with the 3DS.

Probably will. The PSP had a stronger launch than the 3DS or DS, and it's got a bit more time and...hmm...would be a riot if the new Call of Duty launched simultaneously on NGP too!

[quote name='DarkonJohn']

/QUOTE]

I believe its only slower to boot DS games not actually while playing them.

To paraphrase what I think you said, Nintendo is targeting consumers (people who are looking to be entertained) while Sony is targeting gamers (people who are entertained by games that challenge both their physical and mental abilities and can appreciate the finer details associated with gameplay such as graphics, sound and mechanics) and this applies to both the consoles and handhelds.

And while all gamers are also consumers (meaning they are price sensitive and are looking for good deals) not all consumers are gamers (meaning they don't really care that much about the differences between consoles).

It's kind of like eating fast food vs. eating at a good restaurant. You can get a satisfying meal from both, but if you want something of higher quality you probably won't get it at a fast food place and you'll pay more for it at a restaurant. Then again, many people love fast food and don't really care to pay extra to eat at restaurants. And some fast food places still serve good quality food, though without the fancy atmosphere.

[quote name='Wolfpup']Regular DS games run slower? If so, I wonder why? That's weird!
[/QUOTE]

They at least take longer to load up (about 1/3 longer) from what I was reading. Maybe after they are loaded they are comparable in speed to a DS, but then again I saw some other 3DS reviews commenting on speed differences which made me wonder if it was more than just load times.

Battery life is also a concern to me. I expect that it will be increased when they release the 3DS Lite in 2013 ;-)

I don't think challenge has anything to do with it, but probably being versed in the medium and enjoying lot of games?

[quote name='DarkonJohn']They at least take longer to load up (about 1/3 longer) from what I was reading. Maybe after they are loaded they are comparable in speed to a DS, but then again I saw some other 3DS reviews commenting on speed differences which made me wonder if it was more than just load times.[/quote]

Huh. Thanks! I wonder what causes that?

Oh well, I'd take that kind of thing any day over no backwards compatibility at all! Wish they went clear back to the Gameboy.

Battery life is also a concern to me. I expect that it will be increased when they release the 3DS Lite in 2013 ;-)

Don't you just know it's coming? I'd like one with a 5" screen or 4.3 whatever like the PSP 1/XL.

Yeah, my definitions for gamers vs. consumers were just quick attempts to highlight possible differentiators, but by "challenge" I was thinking of the challenges resulting from the possibilities available with the more complex physical controls on the PSP vs. the DS. For example, my mom would find the controls on the DS less "challenging" than those on the PSP.

Big question for me is whether I buy the first gen models or try to hold out for the 2nd gen 3DS Lite (or XL) and the PSP2 slim/PSP2go. While cost is a consideration, so is the additional clutter because I know that if I buy the first gen I'll have to buy the 2nd gen that improves upon the first and I already have too much game-related stuff around the house :D

Oh, I see what you mean. Regarding the two the NPG to me is pretty close to perfect from what I can tell-good controller, big screen, etc. The 3DS on the other hand has a screen that's a big step back from the PSP or XL's size, so I'm more expecting an "XL" version of it, or something...

I flip back and forth on my desire screen size vs portability. I like the screen size of my PSP-2000 but I LOVE the portability of my PSPgo. I'd much rather have two choices for the size of the device (larger screen vs. more portable) than two choices for the same sized device (WiFi or 3G).

The more I hear about the 3DS the less I want one. Yet the more I hear about NGP, the more I want one :lol: I just wish Sony would release a firm price and a date so I can make up my mind to jump on the first iteration or wait for the next one.

[quote name='DarkonJohn'](Sony tried to set it at $250 with the PSPgo and failed). [/QUOTE]
The unfortunate part of this is that Sony is/was trying to price compare the Go to an iPod, which makes sense to me, but most consumers would only compare the Go to a regular PSP. That being said, I didn't buy a Go until I could get it for $100.:whistle2:#

Last edited by a moderator:
Has there been any sort of confirmation about the current PSN titles on the NGP? I was just wondering if I should be on the lookout for decent PSN sales even though I don't have anything to use them on at the moment.

[quote name='Horsewarrior of Janjaweed']Has there been any sort of confirmation about the current PSN titles on the NGP? I was just wondering if I should be on the lookout for decent PSN sales even though I don't have anything to use them on at the moment.[/QUOTE]
Any games in the PSP's PS Store, along with videos and comics, are playable on the NGP.

I don't know if it has been 100% confirmed, but I'd be shocked if every PSP and PS1 Classic game that you can buy for the PSP won't also work on the PSP2. Then again, it wouldn't be the first time Sony has shocked me with some of their bad decisions.

Unless Sony makes an unequivocal statement that the PSP2 will support all PSP games sold in the PSN store, I think there could be enough differences in the hardware between the PSP and PSP2 that there could be some backward compatibility issues running PSP games on the PSP2. It would suck if that happened, but I wouldn't rule anything out, so unless you have a PSP (or will be buying one given the drop in price) I'd probably hold off on buying any PSP games just because they are on sale.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It was mentioned at the announcement press conference and reconfirmed on the US blog.[/QUOTE]

That's good to know they've said that and hopefully it ends up being the case.

Do you know if they have demonstrated any PSP games on the NGP?

Given the hardware differences, this just seems like an area where this could be a potential problem area, so while I'm sure backward compatibility is something everyone (including Sony) thinks is a must-have feature, unless it is already finished there's a chance they could run into problems between now and the release.

I'm just thinking of the crap they did with the PS3 where the started with hardware-based 100% backward compatibility, then switched to emulation based

Last edited by a moderator:
Monster Hunter Portable Third was demoed at the press conference that even used the second stick, so those games could be potentially upgraded to take advantage of the second stick.

The PS3 only had hardware-based BC for PS2 games with the difference being that they emulated one of the two chips in the second iteration of BC, which they ended up removing the second chip sometime after that that was the end of PS2 BC. Hardware BC wasn't 100% by any stretch, as a number of games had issues and a few didn't work.

We'll have to wait on more details to see if it's hardware or software emulation, though they already have some sort of software emulation for PSP right now for Minis on the PS3.

If these rumored prices are true, I will most likely pick it up on day one. Thanks to e-rewards, I've saved up $150 so far in Gamestop gift cards for the NGP. By the time it releases, I'll hopefully have a little more. Can't wait!

[quote name='DarkonJohn']They at least take longer to load up (about 1/3 longer) from what I was reading. Maybe after they are loaded they are comparable in speed to a DS, but then again I saw some other 3DS reviews commenting on speed differences which made me wonder if it was more than just load times.

Battery life is also a concern to me. I expect that it will be increased when they release the 3DS Lite in 2013 ;-)[/QUOTE]

It might slightly increase the battery life but they're limited by 2 things; the size of the battery and the fact that as the processors increase they will have greater power consumption needs.

I won't be surprised at all when we find out the NGP has similarly low battery life.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']It might slightly increase the battery life but they're limited by 2 things; the size of the battery and the fact that as the processors increase they will have greater power consumption needs.

I won't be surprised at all when we find out the NGP has similarly low battery life.[/QUOTE]

You may not be correct regarding the chip. A P4 draws far more power than an i3, i5, or i7 chip despite the vast increase in power of the modern chips. I would imagine if they're going from a 45 nm to a 32 or 22 even with a more powerful chip the power consumption would be about the same or less than the current gen handhelds.

The screen in the 3DS is most likely the reason for decreased battery life, not the chip there.. for NGP, I'd say the second radio and possibly the better screen.

[quote name='RedvsBlue']It might slightly increase the battery life but they're limited by 2 things; the size of the battery and the fact that as the processors increase they will have greater power consumption needs.

I won't be surprised at all when we find out the NGP has similarly low battery life.[/QUOTE]

Actually, the correlation isn't that strong due to ongoing improvements in both battery and chip fabrication technologies. They are always working on increasing the energy density of batteries and you can get increased processing power w/o a corresponding increase in power consumption by reducing the size of the circuits and other methods. That's partly why Apple was able to increase processing/graphics power in the iPad 2 while shrinking the size significantly with little or no reduction in battery life.

That said, increasing the energy density of batteries usually results in a more costly battery. Decreasing the size of processor chips (which is what Sony did to reduce costs and power consumption in the PS3) takes time because it often requires next-gen chip fabrication plants which are VERY expensive. Hopefully the timing will be right and the PSP2 will include the newest/next gen technology for both rather than the last gen. That could be one potential benefit of releasing 9 months after the 3DS.

Pretty sure it wasn't going to come to either region this year anyway. They seemed to go out of their way to say that it would come out in at least one region in 2011.

Sony should release NGP in North America first. The PSP is all but dead in North America, but they can milk it for at least a year in Japan. Plus they were showing off games like Uncharted and COD which mainly appeal to Western gamers

I can see the NGP getting a U.S. release first actually, I'm with 62t. I can really see Call of Duty and Uncharted being the headliners for launch and launch would be successful regardless of what they release anyway, it being Christmas at that time and all.

I do wonder about its price, his comments as of recent late is pointing the price to be on the higher end. I'm honestly expecting this sucker to cost $350 - $400. Part of me would say, "thats just too fucking expensive" but then again, I'm Sony's little bitch. I paid $600 for the PS3, I don't have a right to complain about price. :D

But with the 3DS taking off later this year with big releases, I may be able to hold off. Or go broke, something is going to go down. :p

Call of Duty + Uncharted...like real entries on a handheld? DANG.

Regarding pricing, I'll still be pleasantly surprised if it's only $400!

I'll like if it really has HDMI out...useful...for...certain semi-illicit purposes :lol:

@ Wolfpup

I would like an HDMI so I can be an oxymoronic asshole and play my NGP games on my TV. I end up buying portable consoles not with the intention of playing them outside the apt, but because good games come out on it and I want to play it. My PSP 1000 finally broke so I need to buy a 3000 unit because the fucking NGP is not BC (which is fine, UMD sucked balls anyway) and I keep hearing the 3000 can be hooked to the TV via component/composite cables or some form?

I dunno, but I digress. NGP needs HDMI, do it Sony!

Yeah, the 3000 has composite cables that work for games. I THINK maybe they're not full screen...scaled, but not full screen? I actually own them, but haven't used them so I'm not sure.

Good enough for me, can't be picky with this shit. I guess after I recover from my 3DS deal, I need to go out and buy a PSP 3000 with the cord. I have a couple PSP games sitting here (3rd Birthday, Ys I & II) that I bought and haven't played yet. And sadly, I really want to play them pretty bad.

Oh yeah, never thought a sequel would come out after those two showed up. I love Parasite Eve I + II so buying this was a day-one purchase even with a broken PSP. Yeah, not very CAG like but the cheap-ass culture can kiss my ass. I wanted to make damn certain it wasn't going to disappear like Parasite Eve II did.

IF they manage to get the NGP out this year at all, I think it has to be North America first. Not only because of the Western games announced, and the fact that PSP is still VERY strong in Japan, but because the Japanese market is still recovering from the tsunami and is still facing radiation. I'm not sure many Japanese will be buying new game systems when they have to worry about not finding food in the supermarkets, etc.

After I heard about the NGP, I completely lost any interest in the 3DS. Can't wait.

Looks like we won't have to wait until E3 to get some information, as Giant Bomb says that they'll have Uncharted/NGP impressions tomorrow at Noon (probably PST).

yea- a couple of outlets said that june 2 was when we would get details on NGP uncharted.

Fingers crossed some more NGP news comes with it.

Looks spiffy. Do want.

I hope it drops before November though. Between working retail and playing Battlefield 3, it will steal all of my time this holiday season.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/06/02/ngp-previews-let%E2%80%99s-talk-games-starting-with-uncharted/

There's a video of Uncharted with an interview mixed in on the official blog along with a confirmation of what games will be getting previews from around the web:

• Hot Shots Golf (working title)
  • Hustle Kings
  • Soundshapes
  • Super Stardust Delta
  • Wipeout (working title)
Also:

We first spoke with John Garvin and Chris Reese of Sony Bend Studio, who are developing the highest profile launch title, UNCHARTED: Golden Abyss.

“We’ll talk more about social connectivity features down the line – today is about showing off the core games and getting you hands-on time. I’m sure you have burning questions on launch date, pricing, 3G data plans, and we’ll be very happy to share all those with you moving forward.”

A note about the videos you’ll see: Every NGP you’ll see is a dev unit; they’re the right size, but they don’t possess that final PlayStation-quality fit and finish. What you’ll eventually be able to pick up in a store will look a heck of a lot better.

The titles you won’t see today, you’ll see demoed live at E3 on our stream. Look for much, much more on NGP at next week’s E3 Expo.
Giant Bomb's NGP/Uncharted Impressions:

With all of these unconfirmed "PlayStation Vita" reports swirling around, I'm not even sure what to call this thing. I mean, that's probably going to be the name, right? But let's just play it safe for now, because back when I actually played with an NGP and around nine different games, we were all still calling it the NGP.

It's an interesting device that straight-up looks expensive. Like the PSP before it, it's got a stunning screen on it, and it's capable of some pretty fantastic-looking graphics. The controls feel like the way you'd expect a PlayStation product to feel, with a nice D-pad and a couple of analog sticks. Of course, it's also ready for touching and tilting, with Sixaxis-style motion sensing, a touch-ready screen, and weird touch-sensitive rear panel. About the only thing that keeps it from totally matching the current PlayStation controller is that it only has one set of shoulder buttons, something that some games mitigate by placing virtual buttons on the sides of the touch screen, where it's easy for your thumb to reach out and tap them. It's seems like a solid platform.

It also looks like Sony's readying a good and varied collection of software for the NGP, covering a few standards, some new games from franchises you already care about, and some left-field stuff, as well. Though it didn't do much to sway me from the thought that I'd rather be playing all this stuff on a television, the NGP is pretty cool.

Uncharted: Golden Abyss is clearly the star of the show. Sony Bend is working on this one, and their presentation tossed out a few numbers, like their ability to put 160MB of textures on screen or the notion that Drake has 3,000 separate animations. That aside, the game looked good--not quite console-quality, if you were to hold it up against Uncharted 2, but close enough that it practically doesn't matter. The game appears to be a standalone adventure set before the first game, but that doesn't mean that it's a prequel that's designed to lead into the core series.

The game controls roughly like you'd expect, but it brings in a lot of the NGP's additional controls as mostly optional additions. When you get into a scrap with an enemy, you can go into a touch melee mode, allowing you to tap enemies to attack or fight by tapping icons that appear on-screen. Climbing can be done by touching the next ledge in a sequence to hop there, or you can just swipe up along a series of ledges and Drake will quickly make his way to your end point. This initially seemed like some kind of awful auto-pilot, but after thinking about it a bit, I realized that those Uncharted climbing sequences are always completely obvious and never difficult, which calmed me down right away. The ledges quickly flash as you swipe over them, giving you a visual indicator to let you know that you're getting ready to move. Tilt controls also come into play when climbing, as you can lean the NGP away from surfaces to get Drake ready for a jump from one wall to another.

Other NGP-specific controls include the ability to tap enemies while hanging from a ledge to grab and yank them over. There's also a sniper sequence in the demo we were shown that lets you tilt the device to aim. It's worth noting that this stuff is optional, for the most part. If you want Golden Abyss to play like a regular Uncharted game, it will.

Oh, and yes. Nolan North will return to voice Drake. I probably should have started with that, huh?
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/06/02/wipeout-your-ps3-opponents-on-ngp/

They also have a Wipeout post with a video/interview and details about some really cool features:

Game director Stu Tilley promises the biggest Wipeout experience to date; with 10 new tracks, 20 new ships, new game modes and weapons. My favorite feature and new to PlayStation, is cross-platform-gaming. Load up your copy of Wipeout HD Fury on your PS3 and you’ll be able to race up against seven NGP opponents in online multiplayer sessions. You can mix and match the number of PS3s and NGPs racers however you like, bringing the world of Wipeout seamlessly together with the power of PSN.

Learn more details in the video above, which also showcases how Tilley and his team took advantage of NGP’s touch technology, dual cameras and built-in Six-axis motion controls. Sure, the NGP may be the new kid in town, but it’s doing fantastic things with one of PlayStation’s legendary racers.
I hope that cross-platform MP is a common feature since it would be great to have as many potential players for MP as possible.

After reading the uncharted impressions, I seriously hope the NGP doesn't turn into lets make generic shooter or generic action game 15,000 for it because it's just as good as the PS3.

I mean I think the NGP is a great system, but I want to buy it to play fresh new titles, not portable versions (that is basically the same PS3 game but portable) of games because this (insert series here) is a cash cow and we need more money.

If it can actually do games that are just as good, then of course it should get multuiplatform titles.

I don't think it can though, but maybe they're "good enough". Contrary to some stuff I've read, this isn't as good in 2011 as the PSP was in 2004, but it still kicks ass from all appearances.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/06/02/ngp-introducing-sound-shapes/

Jonathan Mak's (Everyday Shooter) newest game is for the NGP:
Hi everyone, it’s Jonathan Mak here. It’s been a long time since I’ve posted on the PlayStation.Blog

I don’t have any pictures of my basement this time around (I’ve moved!), but I do have a video of a new NGP game I’m working on called “Sound Shapes.” Sound Shapes is both a musical instrument and a classic 2D platformer. You can use it to make music, but then you can “play” that music like it’s a video game. It’s kind of hard to describe in words so check out the video!

The project started out as a collaboration between myself and Shaw-Han Liem, but has since grown to include several pairs of helping hands. We’re pulling all nighters right now to cram one more level/song into our E3 demo. If you’re around, come by the Sony booth and try it out!
Lots of footage in the video with a glimpse of the level creation tools, as well.

Damn, after reading the Uncharted previews, I'm no longer saving for the 3DS. Screen resolution and size are significant factors when developing gameplay. Let's pray for

[quote name='Wolfpup']If it can actually do games that are just as good, then of course it should get multuiplatform titles.

I don't think it can though, but maybe they're "good enough". Contrary to some stuff I've read, this isn't as good in 2011 as the PSP was in 2004, but it still kicks ass from all appearances.[/QUOTE]
Oh I am not saying they should not do multiplatform games. What I am saying is I am worried this becomes the main focus of the NGP, multiplatform games and sequels to already released games.

Backwards compatability confirmed with graphic scaling and what sounds like the ability to map controls to the R3 stick. Hopefully developers will just patch their games.

bread's done
Back