The Official PlayStation Vita Thread - 11/4: FW 3.00 Coming Just in Time for the PS4 Launch!

Prediction 1: The NGP will be sold for no less than $400, bare minimum. It would not surprise me to see the 3G-enabled model go for $100 more than the non 3G model.

Sony has gone on record saying that they intend to turn a profit off of the NGP's hardware. Selling a system this technically capable for less than $400 would require that they sell it for a loss.

Prediction 2: Sony will succeed at drumming up developer support for the NGP, despite the lagging support for the PSP

One of the best decisions I've seen so far for the NGP is the switch to proprietary flash-memory storage. This new cartridge format will make it easier for both Sony and individual developers to safeguard the NGP against piracy. Add to that the successful security that Sony managed to integrate into the PSP-3000, and we are looking at one of the most secure hardware platforms in existence. Piracy was a huge issue with the PSP, and was partially responsible for driving developers away from the system. Sony's struggle against piracy with the PSP is finally going to pay off with its successor. There will be many developers who will flock to the system just because of the added security it provides.

There's also the fact that the flash-memory cartridges will allow for save files and game upgrades to be specific to a single cartridge, rather than being kept on either system or external memory. People will be more likely to hang onto their game cartridges if their save games are permanently stored there. This could potentially cut into the used game market. (which developers would also be very happy about)

Prediction 3: Sony is going to do everything they can to avoid comparing the NGP to the 3DS.

This shouldn't actually be that challenging. The differing focus and features of each system are wildly divergent. Adding the back-touch pad to the NGP was a good decision, it will help to differentiate it from the 3DS, and even the iPod Touch. More importantly, it will encourage developers to tailor-make their games for the NGP, without preventing them from porting existing titles. With a potentially steep price-point, they are going to need to find a market for this device. The audience commonly associated with the DS is not who they need to be selling to. The NGP needs to be pushed towards young professionals and middle-aged audiences. (people with more disposable income)

[quote name='Richard Kain']

Prediction 2: Sony will succeed at drumming up developer support for the NGP, despite the lagging support for the PSP

One of the best decisions I've seen so far for the NGP is the switch to proprietary flash-memory storage. This new cartridge format will make it easier for both Sony and individual developers to safeguard the NGP against piracy. Add to that the successful security that Sony managed to integrate into the PSP-3000, and we are looking at one of the most secure hardware platforms in existence. Piracy was a huge issue with the PSP, and was partially responsible for driving developers away from the system. Sony's struggle against piracy with the PSP is finally going to pay off with its successor. There will be many developers who will flock to the system just because of the added security it provides.

There's also the fact that the flash-memory cartridges will allow for save files and game upgrades to be specific to a single cartridge, rather than being kept on either system or external memory. People will be more likely to hang onto their game cartridges if their save games are permanently stored there. This could potentially cut into the used game market. (which developers would also be very happy about)

[/QUOTE]

With the recent hacked PS3 key also lead to PSP being hack. Not saying they can't fix it with NGP but it could be a problem. Piracy on PSP is no worst than DS. It is just as easy to pirate on the DS.

As for locking game save in a cart, it never hurt the DS or GBA used market and won't be a factor for NGP.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Another big selling point could be PSN. Someone at kotaku said that this will run current PSN games, if Sony actually does that this could be huge. Imagine any of your PSN games like Fat princess, Joe Danger or Pacman CE DX work on this. It would have a nice built in library from day one.[/QUOTE]
It's BC with all of the games on the PSP's PS Store (PSP, PS1, Minis, and videos/comics), not PS3 games.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']It's BC with all of the games on the PSP's PS Store (PSP, PS1, Minis, and videos/comics), not PS3 games.[/QUOTE]
I can only hope that PS2 games come to the PSN as well. I missed out on Rogue Galaxy the first time around.:pray:

[quote name='Wolfpup']So prepare for a repeat...a real, kickass system that inexplicably gets attacked for things like "this just has real games! I don't want to play real games on a portable! I want to play crappy, 'portable' games!" and other utterly dumbfounding things like that...just get ready for it, but oh well, I'll continue to mock those who just can't heft a PSP (and apparently never change channels on their TV, given how heavy the remote is).[/QUOTE]

OK, I'll start... It sounds like a great system, but... If I want to play games like Uncharted and such, I just prefer playing them on a big screen. So, yeah, I guess I do prefer those "portable crappy games" you so deride. But then again, I really only play portable games while travelling (airplane, hotel, etc). And yeah, I always felt like the PSP 1 was never truly portable - not because of the weight, but because at launch it seemed too expensive and delicate to want to bring along on a trip (compared to the original DS). I'm sure looking at all the fancy tech on this I'll feel the same way about this one.

I loved the PSP when I first got it and played it a ton (at home only though - at the time I didn't have a 360 or PS3 so it was the only "high tech" gadget in my house for a while). But I've probably played it a total of 5 times in the last 3-4 years, though I keep buying more and more (UMD-based) games. I even bought a PSP-3000 last year and have yet to even open the box. I probably ought to stop buying UMD's - but when I see them on sale I just can't help it ;).

So, yeah, my first reaction is that unlike the 3DS I don't see the need to get this as soon as it comes out. That may change as it gets closer to launch. Trophy support has me intrigued, though. That might actually get me to pick one up - would love to have a "log" of my played handheld titles like I do with 360/PS3 stuff.

I have to say, though, that when travelling on business trips by far and away the most common portable gaming I see is either iPhone/iPod Touch, or, surprisingly, the iPad. There were a ton of people on my last flight playing iPad games (and watching movies on it). There wasn't a single other person I saw with either a DS or PSP. I see a lot of kids playing DS's when out in public. I don't think I ever see PSPs any more. This may very well change that and I am looking forward to see what the games look like. But I may just sit this one out for a year or two and wait for games to get cheaper (if not the system) before jumping in.

[quote name='62t'] Piracy on PSP is no worst than DS. It is just as easy to pirate on the DS.[/QUOTE]

It's just as bad in the East, thanks to the availability of the R4 cartridge. However, its never really taken off in the West, and Western-based developers have never really worried about DS piracy. The small handful of people who import R4s make little to no change with the DS's enormous install base and casual-focused market.

As for locking game save in a cart, it never hurt the DS or GBA used market and won't be a factor for NGP.

Actually, it has always harmed the used games market. Go into a GameStop, any GameStop. Look at their used inventory for disc-based systems, and then look at their used inventory for cartridge-based systems. They almost always have more disc based games for any given platform than cartridges. They have more used 360 games than DS games. But the install base for the DS is much, much larger than any other system. If the number of used games was proportionate, there should always be a lot more used DS games.

Locking game saves to a cartridge doesn't prevent a cartridge from being sold. In fact, cartridges are usually worth more to collectors, since they are so much more difficult to reproduce. However, a player's progress through the game is directly linked to the physical medium. Psychologically, it makes it harder for the player to give up the cartridge. This is especially true for games where progress is central to the experience, like RPGs.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Saves won't be tied to the carts, it'll use some form of memory stick slot for game/save/media storage like the PSP did.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure about that? I haven't heard any announcements on whether or not the NGP is going to have memory built-in to the system, or what kind of external storage it might be compatible with.

I would assume that it would use some kind of external storage for media. But why would Sony not take advantage of their new cartridges to tie save games down to a physical media? I really can't see them passing up that opportunity. With re-writable storage readily available in every cartridge, there would be no need for external storage as far as games were concerned.

Sony has used removable memory cards for most of their other platforms because they had to, not because they wanted to.

Cartridges with external save files (as long as those are copyable to other NGP's) would be the best of both worlds IMO - will be interesting to see how this plays out.

[quote name='Richard Kain']Are you sure about that? I haven't heard any announcements on whether or not the NGP is going to have memory built-in to the system, or what kind of external storage it might be compatible with.

I would assume that it would use some kind of external storage for media. But why would Sony not take advantage of their new cartridges to tie save games down to a physical media? I really can't see them passing up that opportunity. With re-writable storage readily available in every cartridge, there would be no need for external storage as far as games were concerned.

Sony has used removable memory cards for most of their other platforms because they had to, not because they wanted to.[/QUOTE]
I don't see them sticking to the cartridges as the only way to save games, so they have to offer external saves especially with a big focus on digital games. I'd also guess that there's no built-in storage to save money for themselves and us.
[quote name='seanr1221']Why not just give the option for both? Save to cart or stick. Seems most logical.[/QUOTE]
That's the best option, which Nintendo sorely needs to do for the 3DS.

This has greatly deterred me from getting a 3DS. I love the software on Nintendo handhelds, but the NGP is far more innovative. If I can get one for no more than $300, then I'm going to hold off on the 3DS for quite a while.

[quote name='MSI Magus']Why is the battery such a big deal to some of you? I have never had to temper with my systems battery less it was for piracy....so I really do not see what the big deal is.[/QUOTE]

Because I historically keep things longer than many Americans (who think electronic devices are as disposable as toilet paper.)

I have a cellphone that is pushing about eight years old right now. I have replaced the battery in it.

I have a GPS that I have had to replace the battery in. Because sitting on the dash of a car while giving me directions has caused the battery to fail just outside of warranty. (I live in Texas. The dash during summer is an unfriendly place for battery driven devices.) That wasn't a user serviceable battery, and Garmin wanted half the price of a brand new unit to replace the battery. (Fortunately I was able to find a guide and did it myself. Still a pain.)

I have a PS3 Dual shock controller with a dead battery in it.

I had a Creative Zen 32 (one of the original grey bulky ones) that I only stopped using because the battery doesn't hold a charge.

THIS is why I am concerned. I don't have a pirated PSP and could care less if the battery would help me pirate anything.

I get that many people don't find this a big deal.

Some people buy a new Iphone every year.

I'm sure that just as soon as the PSP3 comes out, leagues of gamers will never touch their PSP2 ever again.

I can only state what matters to me.

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/01/27/ngp-features-two-proprietary-card-slots-for-memory-storage-game/
"NGP adopts a new game medium, a small flash memory based card, dedicated for NGP software titles," a Sony press release later confirmed. "Taking advantage of the flash memory feature, this innovative card can store the full software titles plus add-on game content or the game save data directly on to the card. By adopting flash memory based card, SCE will be able to provide game cards with higher capacity in the future, allowing developers to store more game data to deliver rich and immersive games."

But where will users store non-game data? The NPG's LiveArea UI suggests that multimedia applications will be integral to the handheld, and many of these apps will obviously require data storage -- not to mention the storage requirements for downloadable games. While Sony has not mentioned an internal flash memory component of the NGP, SCE Worldwide Studios head Shuhei Yoshida revealed to Game Informer that the device will feature "two slots" for memory cards; one for the new game cart format (which Yoshida confirmed would be proprietary -- not SD) and a second port for additional storage.

Whether the additional slot has been designed for Sony's existing proprietary Memory Stick (the "Micro" version is used for PSP Go memory expansion) has not been specified. "At this point, all we're saying is it is proprietary storage capabilities," SCEA boss Jack Trenton told Engadget, "we're not getting into defining what it is yet."
Should have both options, which is good news.

[quote name='Gourd']
I have a PS3 Dual shock controller with a dead battery in it.
[/QUOTE]
Side-note: You realize this can be replaced right? I even think the manual that comes with either the controller or the PS3 may cover replacing the battery as well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1Z1M3aTYME$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

[quote name='Vader582']Side-note: You realize this can be replaced right?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t1Z1M3aTYME
I even think the manual that comes with either the controller or the PS3 may cover replacing the battery as well.[/QUOTE]

Yup. I have the battery on order. However I have on of the original Dual shocks, and putting it back together is supposedly a pain. The original Dualshocks have L1 R1 L2 R2 assemblies that have three plastic portions holding them together and in the controller.

I guess I'm still kind of confused on the appeal of the rear trackpad. That just seems like an odd and cumbersome way to control a game.

I am interested in what the price point of NGP games will be. Will we see prices that are similar to home console games.

[quote name='2DMention']No BC with UMDs?[/QUOTE]
No, it's BC with everything in the PSP's PS Store. There was zero chance that they'd have a UMD drive in this thing to allow that.
[quote name='RedvsBlue']I guess I'm still kind of confused on the appeal of the rear trackpad. That just seems like an odd and cumbersome way to control a game.[/QUOTE]
It's an alternate option that won't cover up the screen, though it seems like it'll sometimes be used with the front touch screen for pinching controls if a game uses it.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Should have both options, which is good news.[/QUOTE]

Nope, they never confirm that you will be able to transfer save files off of cartridges. They go out of their way to point out what a great feature it is that save games can now be stored on cartridges, but they never confirm that they can be transferred elsewhere. They are trying to spin it as a new feature so that people don't get upset when they realize that their access to their save data isn't going to be as loose and free.

Obviously, you will still be able to store save game data from downloadable games on external storage. You have to stick to that method with downloadable titles. But that won't matter to developers. If you're downloading games, then they have already circumvented used game stores. (and gotten a better value for the software you purchased from them)

I still believe that Sony is going to lock the save data to the cartridges, and that they will do so with the explicit blessing of every developer currently working on NGP games. Especially now that they have confirmed that the cartridges in question are going to be proprietary.

[quote name='io']OK, I'll start... It sounds like a great system, but... If I want to play games like Uncharted and such, I just prefer playing them on a big screen. So, yeah, I guess I do prefer those "portable crappy games" you so deride. But then again, I really only play portable games while travelling (airplane, hotel, etc). And yeah, I always felt like the PSP 1 was never truly portable - not because of the weight, but because at launch it seemed too expensive and delicate to want to bring along on a trip (compared to the original DS). I'm sure looking at all the fancy tech on this I'll feel the same way about this one.[/QUOTE]

I'm kind of in agreement here, but I'm pretty excited.

I don't play my PSP when I'm at home. It's a portable, weaker version of the PS3 (minus some buttons). Split/Second, LBP, Resistance all come across as kind of dull because they truly are a substitute for when you can't play your PS3. I do play my DS though. The touchscreen and the microphone have enough fun little gimmicks that it doesn't need to be a powerhouse as long as it can do something that rationalizes why I'm not just playing my wii. The touch screens, cameras and mics on the PSP2 have the potential of introducing those elements to these games.

The demo of Uncharted showed the user touching maps to wipe away dust, or tapping items in the screen to interact with them. It could be a lot of fun.

Anyway.. I wonder when Uncharted would come out.. It seems to me that they wouldn't put out a game so close to UC3, but maybe I'm wrong.

I'm so hyped for this thing. I will buy the top SKU (with 3G probably). The game announcements are exactly what I want (I gotta buy every Hot Shots Golf) and love the specs and features. PSP is my favorite handheld ever, so I definitely want this more than any other device that isn't a PS4.

I love how people pick one "negative" thing and dwell on it... the device isn't bricked if the battery dies.. it's INCREDIBLY easy to swap out batteries even on sealed devices. Seriously, take 5 minutes to watch a youtube video and procure the proper tools to DIY.

That said, this now has me excited for BOTH handheld devices. The wii was a disappointment to me over time and although I neglect my DSL anymore, it's still a great device and my love for Nintendo mascots gets me everytime. The PSP is still a beast in itself and it looks as though the NGP is essentially a portable PS3. I'm not crazy about touch anything as precision is lost relative to the traditional controlling schemes but let's reserve judgment until finished products are on the market.

For me the $249 price tag of the 3DS is hefty.. and a $300 price on the NGP would be in line but I have no doubt that Sony wouldn't hesitate to mark it up beyond what is reasonable if they believe in it (See: PSPGO). $349-$399 is probably going to be launch price.. I'll own them both eventually but unless I have a significant bump in my discretionary income it certainly won't be at launch. But that's ok because I'm sure I'll have a new cell phone by years end so the other fun gadgets can wait... they'll have kinks worked out and I'll finally have a reason to focus on the handheld titles I haven't gotten to yet.

Cheers to fans of portable gaming on all fronts!

[quote name='Richard Kain']Nope, they never confirm that you will be able to transfer save files off of cartridges. They go out of their way to point out what a great feature it is that save games can now be stored on cartridges, but they never confirm that they can be transferred elsewhere. They are trying to spin it as a new feature so that people don't get upset when they realize that their access to their save data isn't going to be as loose and free.

Obviously, you will still be able to store save game data from downloadable games on external storage. You have to stick to that method with downloadable titles. But that won't matter to developers. If you're downloading games, then they have already circumvented used game stores. (and gotten a better value for the software you purchased from them)

I still believe that Sony is going to lock the save data to the cartridges, and that they will do so with the explicit blessing of every developer currently working on NGP games. Especially now that they have confirmed that the cartridges in question are going to be proprietary.[/QUOTE]
That's a ton of assumptions based on not saying one thing, so we'll have to wait until E3 to see more about their plans for digital content management.

The great feature that they're talking about with the cards is that you can store DLC and all that stuff along with saves, so where does that mean that they'll be locked. Of course the cards are proprietary, as they're not dumb enough to just use off-the-shelf memory sticks. Any storage medium that is used for games is proprietary even when they're using DVDs, CDs, Blu-rays, etc.

I see them continuing what they've done with the PSP in allowing you to transfer and manage all of your content on the PC with their Media Go software. I don't see used games being a factor in the decision because they didn't kill the PSP.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']The great feature that they're talking about with the cards is that you can store DLC and all that stuff along with saves, so where does that mean that they'll be locked. Of course the cards are proprietary, as they're not dumb enough to just use off-the-shelf memory sticks. Any storage medium that is used for games is proprietary even when they're using DVDs, CDs, Blu-rays, etc.[/QUOTE]

You seem to be misinterpreting my intent. I never said that tying save data to the cartridges was a BAD thing. Nor did I say that I personally object to it. I'm quite used to playing portable games where this is the norm. (every portable system that hasn't used optical media) At worst, a few vocal Sony fans on the internet might object to losing that option, but they will be quite safely ignored.

From a development standpoint, adopting a more traditional cartridge model for their handheld system is actually a very good approach. The majority of developers and even gamers will probably applaud Sony's decision to go with cartridges. A lot of the arguments against cartridges are now moot thanks to the continuing development of flash memory.

I'm also rather interested in Sony's decision to include an OLED screen. With the way OLED works, it will make the NGP better for games, but could be a hindrance in using the device for internet browsing. OLED has a distinct advantage when displaying black, and darker colors, it will actually consume less power when doing so. But when displaying lots of bright colors, and especially pure white, it will use the maximum amount of power. Most games don't overuse whites and extremely bright colors, and that will help with the battery life of the NGP. The high refresh rates of OLED displays will also be ideal for gaming. Internet browsing often involves dark text on very light backgrounds. Prolonged web browsing on the NGP will likely drain the battery more quickly.

I'm saying it's a very bad idea. Don't take away your customer's options when buying games. If they can't rent the game and continue from where they left off when they buy the game, then that's fucked up. If they decide to buy the digital version of the game to be able to play it without the card and have to start over, that's fucked up. And what about the DLC? Would that be tied to the card and not the account because you have to lock down everything else since the saves are locked? Lock down that stuff and you screw over the customer. Where is the good part of your expectation to lock down the saves?

That's why I see them not locking the cards down. Because you start getting into some shady territories by having more than just saves on the card and getting overly protective of something that doesn't need it.

I buy less DS games than I normally would because I can't rent DS games without having to start over if I enjoy them enough to want to buy them and I don't really want to pay full price unless I know that I want the game right away. It's an archaic save system that I'm expecting Sony to avoid.

My thoughts right now is that it looks cool but didn't we go through this before? I bet we rewind and go back to when the first PSP was announced and everyone was gushing over it. DS was announced and people were scratching their head. I am not a fanboy and by that I know people will say I am but I don't really think Sony learned enough from the PSP and PSP Go.

Uncharted on the go, amazing but do you really want to have that experience that way? Especially for the price not being announced, I agree with Shipwreck, it has to be cheap enough to compete with the 3DS but it won't be. There is no way this is going to cost $250, I would bet more like $300-350. It won't be released here first either, but NA will get released spring of next year.

Truth is both will sell out of the gate but its a year to two years down the road. I don't think the PS3 ports, other than God of War, really were that great of sellers on the PSP. Heck, those games are not great sellers on the PS3. Sure they help try to get the PS3 market to buy a new handheld but they really need to work on developing portable games for the portable market.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I'm saying it's a very bad idea. Don't take away your customer's options when buying games. If they can't rent the game and continue from where they left off when they buy the game, then that's fucked up. If they decide to buy the digital version of the game to be able to play it without the card and have to start over, that's fucked up. And what about the DLC? Would that be tied to the card and not the account because you have to lock down everything else since the saves are locked? Lock down that stuff and you screw over the customer. Where is the good part of your expectation to lock down the saves?

That's why I see them not locking the cards down. Because you start getting into some shady territories by having more than just saves on the card and getting overly protective of something that doesn't need it.

I buy less DS games than I normally would because I can't rent DS games without having to start over if I enjoy them enough to want to buy them and I don't really want to pay full price unless I know that I want the game right away. It's an archaic save system that I'm expecting Sony to avoid.[/QUOTE]

I wouldn't be totally surprised if Sony tries to lock games to a PSN account. Possibly having the data on a cloud. I am sure it is a possibility they have looked into and a new handheld might be their toe in the water.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']That's why I see them not locking the cards down. Because you start getting into some shady territories by having more than just saves on the card and getting overly protective of something that doesn't need it.

I buy less DS games than I normally would because I can't rent DS games without having to start over if I enjoy them enough to want to buy them and I don't really want to pay full price unless I know that I want the game right away. It's an archaic save system that I'm expecting Sony to avoid.[/QUOTE]

But does it really not need it? Think about what happened to the original PSP? Do you think Sony is really wanting to repeat that scenario? With all they've learned from the PSP, do you really think they'll be trying to make their hardware more open?

And does it really need to be more open? You can already play whatever media you please on most Sony devices. If they go out of their way to control the games on their system, developers will line up around the block, and most consumers won't care enough to object.

Your own situation with DS games proves that it is a valid approach. Sony and game developers don't want you to rent games, or purchase them used. Anything they can do to make you less likely to do either will benefit them.

If they are willing to step back and adopt a proprietary cartridge format, do you really think they won't step back to adopt an archaic save system? Sony isn't going to want consumers messing around with their cartridges. They will do anything they can to prevent exploits on the NGP.

[quote name='bingbangboom']I agree with Shipwreck, it has to be cheap enough to compete with the 3DS but it won't be. There is no way this is going to cost $250, I would bet more like $300-350. It won't be released here first either, but NA will get released spring of next year.[/QUOTE]

Yes and no. For starters, I'm expecting it to launch at more than $350. I'm going to say $400 minimum for the basic package. (probably more for the 3G-enabled model) And it might even be more than that.

At the same time, it won't be as important for the NGP to match the 3DS in sales. (and lets face it, it probably won't anyway) Sony has gone on record that they intend to sell the NGP hardware at a profit, not a loss. This means that even with modest first-year sales, the NGP will still be in the black. Even in the worse-case scenario (the NGP gets immediately hacked, and becomes a second pirates' paradise) it won't be a financial burden on Sony.

Obviously, the real issue is the marketshare, and whether or not developers will be able to turn a profit on the software they sell on the system. Sony has amassed a decent first-party portfolio, but it will still need third-party developers to keep the NGP chugging. It would be a good idea for Sony to lower their licencing fees a bit to encourage more development. With the money they won't be losing on the hardware, they can afford to cut back on licencing.

The spring of next year prediction sounds pretty good. I'm guessing mid to late March. (a common window for handhelds) I'm also thinking it will get pushed back to early January for Japan.

Well the cards are making hope that their portable games could possibly cost less now.

Then again, I could see them saying "its uncharted, on a portable, so of course it is going to be expensive".

[quote name='bingbangboom']I wouldn't be totally surprised if Sony tries to lock games to a PSN account. Possibly having the data on a cloud. I am sure it is a possibility they have looked into and a new handheld might be their toe in the water.[/QUOTE]
Locking retail games to a PSN account would be very dumb thing to do that would cause people to not even invest in the system if there's no resale market. I don't see streaming the games via cloud servers being any better either since requiring WiFi/3G access at all times just to play games doesn't make sense.

[quote name='Richard Kain']But does it really not need it? Think about what happened to the original PSP? Do you think Sony is really wanting to repeat that scenario? With all they've learned from the PSP, do you really think they'll be trying to make their hardware more open?

And does it really need to be more open? You can already play whatever media you please on most Sony devices. If they go out of their way to control the games on their system, developers will line up around the block, and most consumers won't care enough to object.

Your own situation with DS games proves that it is a valid approach. Sony and game developers don't want you to rent games, or purchase them used. Anything they can do to make you less likely to do either will benefit them.

If they are willing to step back and adopt a proprietary cartridge format, do you really think they won't step back to adopt an archaic save system? Sony isn't going to want consumers messing around with their cartridges. They will do anything they can to prevent exploits on the NGP.[/QUOTE]
What about the unlocked saves killed the PSP? I seriously don't see this huge leap in logic that you have made. Poor software security killed the system and nearly drove developers out until they offered a solution with the Go that took a long time to be cracked.

Nintendo made me less likely to buy games, period. Sony doesn't want that, so they've even gone so far as to open things up to the Android development community for those developers to bring their own games and apps to the NGP.

Locking down cards doesn't prevent hacking by any stretch of the imagination and would only serve to make them try to break it sooner because of it.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Nintendo made me less likely to buy games, period. Sony doesn't want that, so they've even gone so far as to open things up to the Android development community for those developers to bring their own games and apps to the NGP.[/QUOTE]

And I will be looking into that possibility myself. I would very much like to cook up a title for the NGP via Android development. But any such title would automatically be a downloadable game, and wouldn't really apply to the whole cartridge thing anyway.

Locking down cards doesn't prevent hacking by any stretch of the imagination and would only serve to make them try to break it sooner because of it.

Are you familiar with some of the most recent developments in anti-piracy measures? One of the more popular strategies is to assign individual serial numbers to each copy of a game produced. With this method, there are all sorts of fun things you can do to trip up casual piracy. For instance, you could...

1. Lock a specific copy of a game to a specific hardware unit.
2. Lock a specific copy of a game to a PSN account.
3. Track down a stolen copy of a game anywhere in the world while it's being used.
4. Require used game stores to pay royalties on any copy they sell used...or else they will be remotely disabled.
5. Prevent saved games from one copy of a game from being used on a different copy of the game.

Nintendo was already looking into applying this technology to the DS, and will almost certainly be using it with the 3DS. What do you want to bet that Sony is eyeballing the same strategy?

Really looking forward to this. I really want to be sensible about this and wait for a slim version, but I don't think I'm going to be able to do it if the price is $200 - $300.

[quote name='Richard Kain']And I will be looking into that possibility myself. I would very much like to cook up a title for the NGP via Android development. But any such title would automatically be a downloadable game, and wouldn't really apply to the whole cartridge thing anyway.[/quote]
It's a sign that they're not taking the CFW stuff as a reason to clamp down and lock everything down with extreme prejudice.
[quote name='Richard Kain']Are you familiar with some of the most recent developments in anti-piracy measures? One of the more popular strategies is to assign individual serial numbers to each copy of a game produced. With this method, there are all sorts of fun things you can do to trip up casual piracy. For instance, you could...

3. Track down a stolen copy of a game anywhere in the world while it's being used.
4. Require used game stores to pay royalties on any copy they sell used...or else they will be remotely disabled.
5. Prevent saved games from one copy of a game from being used on a different copy of the game.

Nintendo was already looking into applying this technology to the DS, and will almost certainly be using it with the 3DS. What do you want to bet that Sony is eyeballing the same strategy?[/QUOTE]
I'd expect a lot of backlash if they decide to impliment any of that stuff. I haven't heard anything about Nintendo actually doing that stuff with 3DS games, so I don't see a reason for them to take the first step.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']

I buy less DS games than I normally would because I can't rent DS games without having to start over if I enjoy them enough to want to buy them and I don't really want to pay full price unless I know that I want the game right away. It's an archaic save system that I'm expecting Sony to avoid.[/QUOTE]Oh I definitely agree. I HATE saving on a cartridge because of that reason.

Oh yeah, trophy support has me beyond excited. That alone will make me play this thing like crazy.

Sony is not worried about the size.
All men in Japan wear purses so they are ok....
They can just place their NGP next to their full size LV women's wallets..

DSC03152.JPG

If its $300 I'm in!!! I doubt it will be so Ima have to wait. I have also decided to wait on the 3DS till its second iteration. I do prefer the NGP to the 3DS. Can't wait till E3 when Microsoft unveils their handheld.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Locking retail games to a PSN account would be very dumb thing to do that would cause people to not even invest in the system if there's no resale market. I don't see streaming the games via cloud servers being any better either since requiring WiFi/3G access at all times just to play games doesn't make sense.[/QUOTE]

I sort of agree because I do have a vested interest in the used game market but honestly, PSP games sold like shit, both new and used. It got to the point that I really didn't even want to carry them anymore because they would collect dust. Don't know if it was just because of the PSP or the piracy issues.

Sony's problem is what to charge for a new game if it is downloaded and locked into your handheld. They don't want customers to even think about a secondary market and know that Apple can make downloading games work. Didn't go over too well with the PSPGo but I could see them doing something with locking a code to a PSN account. As much as you would like an open format, I just don't see it happening.

Truth is though you know someone will go in and jailbreak it anyway.

The cloud thing was mainly so that you can backup your files to your PSN account say for games that may work on PS3 and the new handheld, DLC, etc.

Back to the pricing issue, Sony could possibly make some money in the long run if they decide to add a phone to the device. Yeah I know, N-Gage all over again but look at cellphones. They get people to sign a 2 year service contract and they sell the device at a lower cost. Sony could possibly do this for it's 3G coverage and add Skype to it as their "phone" option.

Besides the tech though I see little upside with this right now. I honestly would have let the PSP just die wait a few years and then see where the handheld market would be. I also feel they are splitting themselves too thin, would think it would be better to just focus on the PS3 vs. all their other devisions fighting for your dollars. Sony should look to becoming the ultimate TV sidekick instead of just doing what everyone else is doing.

[quote name='Richard Kain']And I will be looking into that possibility myself. I would very much like to cook up a title for the NGP via Android development. But any such title would automatically be a downloadable game, and wouldn't really apply to the whole cartridge thing anyway.

Are you familiar with some of the most recent developments in anti-piracy measures? One of the more popular strategies is to assign individual serial numbers to each copy of a game produced. With this method, there are all sorts of fun things you can do to trip up casual piracy. For instance, you could...

Nintendo was already looking into applying this technology to the DS, and will almost certainly be using it with the 3DS. What do you want to bet that Sony is eyeballing the same strategy?[/QUOTE]

I don't really think Nintendo will be doing this sort of anti-piracy tech on the 3DS because they need retail. Nintendo is a family company and typically say in a family with 3 kids, one game may be passed down to the next. They also want to make it easy enough that a kid opens the box and just plays it. Requiring any sort of serial number will just be too complicated. Nintendo doesn't care about used game market as much as other companies because they are the smartest company with it and here is why... they don't mark their games down!

Look at Mario Kart DS, the game came out ages ago and yet the MSRP is still $34.99! The game came out almost 5 years ago. How do they do this? They make great games with great value that last. They also wait on sequels despite what people may think. This brings greater value to the game vs. a new Call of Duty game coming out ever year. I wouldn't be surprised if at one point Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2 and Call of Duty Black Ops or if MW2 is priced higher because of the value. But thats a whole other topic.

If there is one thing that Nintendo must learn about the next handheld it is to accept that not just children play it's handheld. I don't have a problem with a parent mode but give gamers the option with the features. Nintendo needs to develop it's own social network ala Xbox Live. Use the 3DS for this and bring it to the next console.

[quote name='bingbangboom']I sort of agree because I do have a vested interest in the used game market but honestly, PSP games sold like shit, both new and used. It got to the point that I really didn't even want to carry them anymore because they would collect dust. Don't know if it was just because of the PSP or the piracy issues.

Sony's problem is what to charge for a new game if it is downloaded and locked into your handheld. They don't want customers to even think about a secondary market and know that Apple can make downloading games work. Didn't go over too well with the PSPGo but I could see them doing something with locking a code to a PSN account. As much as you would like an open format, I just don't see it happening.[/quote]
Depends on when you're talking about for the poor sales. In the past three years, the developers revolted because of the piracy issues, causing a drought that probably killed off most of the general interest in the system. Sony made the Go to appease developers, but the pricing of the Go, 3000, and the games were too high to really rebuild the audience for the PSP, so the sales died off. I'd imagine that sales were much better up to the point that Crisis Core and God of War came out in early 2008, as those two were the last PSP games to crack the top 10 in the NPDs and be system sellers.

I don't see Sony locking games to the system since they have the PSN account set-up to allow any PSN games that you buy to move with you. I don't know what the open format that you think I want is. It just needs to continue to be as simple as it is now. No locking saves and DLC to the card, no locking the game to the system, and no requiring a constant WiFi/3G connection to play the game.
[quote name='bingbangboom']Truth is though you know someone will go in and jailbreak it anyway.[/quote]
Sure, but they did a good job delaying that stuff with the 3000/Go that they should have good ways to make it harder to do that stuff. Offering up the Android development route could appease their need to tinker.

[quote name='bingbangboom']The cloud thing was mainly so that you can backup your files to your PSN account say for games that may work on PS3 and the new handheld, DLC, etc.[/quote]
That's a bit different than what you were saying before (cloud gaming), though I don't know how much cloud saves would work for a portable compared to consoles.

[quote name='bingbangboom']Back to the pricing issue, Sony could possibly make some money in the long run if they decide to add a phone to the device. Yeah I know, N-Gage all over again but look at cellphones. They get people to sign a 2 year service contract and they sell the device at a lower cost. Sony could possibly do this for it's 3G coverage and add Skype to it as their "phone" option.[/quote]
That would make it much more expensive and make the NGP a non-option for anybody that doesn't want a phone. I have a phone and don't want to be forced into monthly bills to get a gaming device. They would be wise to not go that route and open up the system to everyone instead and offer 3G for those that already use that kind of stuff.

[quote name='bingbangboom']Besides the tech though I see little upside with this right now. I honestly would have let the PSP just die wait a few years and then see where the handheld market would be. I also feel they are splitting themselves too thin, would think it would be better to just focus on the PS3 vs. all their other devisions fighting for your dollars. Sony should look to becoming the ultimate TV sidekick instead of just doing what everyone else is doing.[/QUOTE]
I guess we'll agree to disagree as I don't see a good reason to let the marketshare that they took from Nintendo go to waste only to start over again in a few years.

I'm curious as to why Sony would not have the new PSP be capable of receiving over the air HD TV signals. This would make the NGP a day one purchase for me. I would love to watch CBS and FOX NFL while taking the bus to and from Jaguars games. The screen seems to be perfect for it. Does anyone else want this capability? And no, I don't want to have to be connected to a wifi for internet for tv.

It's 3G capable so I don't see why they can't do it, they can always update the psp if they do some kind of deal with somebody but I just don't see it as an option unless it attracts the masses.

I really can't wait for this, it looks amazing and can't wait to see some play footage! I'm just not looking forward to the price. >_

bread's done
Back