The Official PlayStation Vita Thread - 11/4: FW 3.00 Coming Just in Time for the PS4 Launch!

[quote name='JG5253']Has anybody found out if you could use Near with the Wifi model or is that exclusive to the 3G model?[/QUOTE]

Near works with Wi-Fi. This was confirmed a long time ago and I can personally confirm it works :)

[quote name='Snap']Near works with Wi-Fi. This was confirmed a long time ago and I can personally confirm it works :)[/QUOTE]

Thank you. The 22nd can't come soon enough

sfJbt.jpg

These arrived today.

Too bad I don't have the system to play it on yet. :(

One more week!

I knew Vita game cases were smaller than PSP, but the copies of Hot Shots Golf and Wipeout that I got from Amazon felt like they weighed nothing in the bubble mailers. It was almost like when I buy a game I rented from Gamefly and just get the case in the mail, though that might still be heavier than this.

Comparing them to some of my games, they're a good inch or so shorter than PSP cases and it's still a bit shorter than a Japanese GC case. It's a little thinner, too.

I guess I should be getting Lumines and Uncharted later this week or next and my 32 GB card tomorrow, which cost me about $15 out of pocket.

I guess I don't have a sense of their size, since PSP game cases are a nice size, and pretty tiny...I didn't realize these were smaller!

Dang, if not for the battery issue I think I'd go nuts and order every game I was vaguely interested in. As it is, I think I'm holding off until I test it.

[quote name='Wolfpup']I guess I don't have a sense of their size, since PSP game cases are a nice size, and pretty tiny...I didn't realize these were smaller! [/QUOTE]

[quote name='orntar']is that 2 vita memory cards? or a vita memory card and something else?[/QUOTE]

If you click through you can see the notes; but the left is the M2 used for the PSPGo and the right is the Vita memory card. And yes, they look almost identical and are essentially the same size.

Hehe, I see your edit; no worries :)

[quote name='Wolfpup']Well, presumably even with a dead battery in there it wouldn't work. It seems to need the battery even when it's plugged in, unlike the PSP :([/QUOTE]

Where did you hear this? Are there any other similar devices that won't work with a dead battery when plugged in? I'm not saying you're wrong by any means, I'm genuinely curious and wondering why the Vita would be different.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I knew Vita game cases were smaller than PSP, but the copies of Hot Shots Golf and Wipeout that I got from Amazon felt like they weighed nothing in the bubble mailers. It was almost like when I buy a game I rented from Gamefly and just get the case in the mail, though that might still be heavier than this.

Comparing them to some of my games, they're a good inch or so shorter than PSP cases and it's still a bit shorter than a Japanese GC case. It's a little thinner, too.

I guess I should be getting Lumines and Uncharted later this week or next and my 32 GB card tomorrow, which cost me about $15 out of pocket.[/QUOTE]

I ordered mine from Amazon as well and they came in a medium sized box, with air packaging. Pretty big for such tiny cases.

Destructoid gave ModNation Racers a 3.0.

http://www.destructoid.com/review-modnation-racers-road-trip-221594.phtml

By far the most blatantly rushed cash-in attempt of all the PS Vita launch titles, ModNation Racers: Road Trip is to be avoided at all costs. With horrid visuals, dawdling menus, and threadbare features, this lazy piece of software insults the system it is supposed to help showcase. In fact, I'd say its existence could be directly harmful to the Vita, given how it's one of the bigger titles available at launch and makes the Vita look like it's only capable of producing garbage. With superior offerings available when the Vita hits store shelves, this is one waste of time that can and should be avoided.

Load times on games using solid state memory absolutely boggles my mind.

I'd like to see more review call out games for their "cash-in" status. Ridge Racer, from all accounts, should be treated similarly. And even thought UMvC3 is a big game on its own, the sheer vastness of pre-release DLC clearly points to it being a cash-in as well. Does being a "cash-in attempt" only matter if the core game is shit? That seems like ambiguous criteria to me.

[quote name='mykevermin']3G Launch Bundle + Uncharted for $307.

I bit.

Would have been $282, but I live in one of 4 states where sales tax applies.

Meh.[/QUOTE]

How did you manage this deal?

PM if necessary, would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='mykevermin']Load times on games using solid state memory absolutely boggles my mind.[/QUOTE]Well, even though it's on solid state media, it still is compressed and must be loaded into system RAM, processed, etc.
Plenty of DS, 3DS, and iOS have loading, with some even being pretty bad offenders.

For Vita, hopefully this kind of stuff is lessened as time goes on and the system tools are matured.

[quote name='jello44']Sweeeeeeet.

Now a date for Gravity Rush.[/QUOTE]

Gamestop and Amazon are guessing the same date for Gravity Rush but I'm hoping earlier tho.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']If it wasn't obvious, that's a Jim Sterling review.[/QUOTE]

That pretty much devalues that review entirely.

So it looks like the list of PSP game out before were only games you could get straight through the PSN store but you could download your PSP games to your PS3 and transfer them over via content manager.

[quote name='JG5253']So it looks like the list of PSP game out before were only games you could get straight through the PSN store but you could download your PSP games to your PS3 and transfer them over via content manager.[/QUOTE]

It's very confusing but basically the list from Sony regarding what PSP games can be downloaded via PSN on the Vita is accurate. However it is not a complete list of what games can be transferred via content manager from the PS3 to the Vita. And there are some games that can not be transferred via content manager yet; some titles such as Pixeljunk Monsters Deluxe or Phantasy Star Portable 2 are two examples I personally have.

Crap I have to wait for a month to get a free Stardust Delta? I'm glad that that's the free game but waiting a month makes me sad. Though I guess it'll force me to put time into Wipeout. And not not give up once it gets too hard.

[quote name='Ragnorok64']Crap I have to wait for a month to get a free Stardust Delta? I'm glad that that's the free game but waiting a month makes me sad. Though I guess it'll force me to put time into Wipeout. And not not give up once it gets too hard.[/QUOTE]
What, why wouldn't it give it to you right after you pay for the first month?

honestly the only game i look forward to right now is mortal kombat. i already have it for the 360, but nothing else appeals to me at launch.. but i do have metal gear solid peace walker to keep me busy for now. bought it last year and never got time to play it haha

[quote name='Ragnorok64']Can we get more than that?[/QUOTE]
He's a gigantic attention whore who only writes articles to antagonize his readers to get the maximum page hits possible.

Some examples of his work here.

A quick google search shows a number of other reviews that, while they don't give it a 3/10 (opting for a more 'generous' 5/10), make some of the same complaints that Sterling did.

Got my 32gb card in the mail today from Amazon, have my Hori protector at the ready. Downloaded Hot Shots and Wipeout to my PS3. Also downloaded Super Stardust Delta (SSD) before I noticed it was going to be the free game. Called up the Playstation support line and they actually have a PS Vita option, the guy was very helpful and said he'd start a request to refund and delete my SSD purchase. It sounded like we'll get a code sent to us pretty quickly after signing up for the 3G according to customer service, so don't think you'll need to wait a whole month for the free SSD.

Going back to play some more Pixeljunk Sidescroller... that's keeping me amused until the Vita gets here.

It's really hard not to click that release day option on Amazon for the 3G bundle, but now I see that Resistance and Gravity Rush have 5/29 release dates, so I'm going to force myself to wait the 3 months and hope some more deals emerge in the meantime. There are plenty of great PS3 games to play in the next few months, so hopefully the wait won't feel that bad!

bread's done
Back