The Official Toys-R-Us Clearance Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

jaysapathy

CAGiversary!
Feedback
17 (100%)
Nobody home here. The trolls and the juvenile drama chased me away.

I thought CAG was a supportive community, but I was wrong, apparently.

You're free to let someone else man the thread now; I understand J7 has a lot of free time on his hands and has been trying to circumvent the thread from me for a few months.

I just don't have the patience for the children anymore.

Cheers.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='confoosious']no it was a while ago. When Singstar dropped. I just didn't understand why two TRU within 15 miles of each other would not run the same discount.[/QUOTE]

Not YMMV. It was in the ad. The manager was just being ignorant and or a d-bag.

[quote name='V Gundam']Not YMMV. It was in the ad. The manager was just being ignorant and or a d-bag.[/QUOTE]

to tell u the truth...i think managers/supervisors think ur trying to rip them off...with a fake ad or some bs...i know that ads/prices/policies SHOULD b universal...but managers sometimes feel stupid when ur showing them ads they dont know about...(happened to me too many times)

some managers are cool and say "man i didnt even know about this"....some feel like u just made him feel stupid and get on a power rage and dont do the deal thats in the ad

[quote name='aleraiders']some managers are cool and say "man i didnt even know about this"....some feel like u just made him feel stupid and get on a power rage and dont do the deal thats in the ad[/QUOTE]
Not a Rush fan, but ditto.

TRU has ran the B1G1 50% off a few times unadvertised. This could be why 1 TRU would have signs out and another wouldn't and thus would not know about it.

When I worked for TRU there was a frequent occurrence that when I did not work Sunday and came in to work Monday I would discover that nobody put out the new flyer for the week. They had not even seen the flyer in physical form or online let alone opened any box the flyers were in. Price Sign Coordinators miss a lot at the stores I visited through out the years. Other employees are also supposed to pull old sale signage at the end of the night Saturday or before the store opens Sunday and help put up the new weeks sale signage. Then there is the partial and 1 or 2 day sales. The signs are not put up correctly so I check the online ad, use the price checkers and check CAG. But clearance is going to be pretty dead until Jan '10 in my opinion.

The funny thing about the toysrus clearance is that when the better games go on clearance, this sale is often better than anything I have ever seen on Black Friday. They should consider doing some clearance drops the week of Black Friday and making that promotion a part of their Black Friday sales. Anyone think we could see some drops the week of Black Friday or earlier?

[quote name='cman']They should consider doing some clearance drops the week of Black Friday and making that promotion a part of their Black Friday sales.[/QUOTE]

No they shouldn't, because then we'd have to contend with the hoards of soccer moms to get them. :lol:

But really, they hold the drops until after the holiday sales period is over so that they can sell as many copies at full price as they can. The purpose of the clearances is to get rid of extra stock that's left over once the sales numbers have dropped back. It wouldn't make fiscal sense to do them at the time when lots of people are buying things anyway.

it's not much but at least something to update. all take effect next Monday.
Dropping to $9.98

:ds:116628 National Geographic Panda
:ds:209374 Mushroom Men Fungi
:ds:363851 Tropix
:ds:393801 PDC World Championship Dart
:ds:393806 Desktop Tower Defense
:ds:889765 Pirates of the Caribbean 3
:360:195635 Namco Museum Virtual
:360:203988 Popcap Arcade V1
:wii:126929 Foosball
:wii:209528 Imagine Party Babyz

[quote name='prim4444']
Dropping to $9.98
[/QUOTE]

Hmm...this used to be $5, I bought one at TRU! Went back up and now coming down again?!

[quote name='smashingradioheads']Dammit I hope we get some clearances soon.[/QUOTE]

I'm starting to doubt there will be any more TRU clearances... my TRU's shelves are fairly empty as of late. It doesn't seem like they need to clear anything out to make room.

[quote name='Vinny']I'm starting to doubt there will be any more TRU clearances... my TRU's shelves are fairly empty as of late. It doesn't seem like they need to clear anything out to make room.[/QUOTE]

They had all those sales before Christmas - got rid of a lot of video game stock.

[quote name='Josef']They had all those sales before Christmas - got rid of a lot of video game stock.[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, that's probably a good reason...

Retail all follows the same pattern. We'll probably see the first clearance drops of the year at the beginning of January, or even as late as mid-Feb. But don't quote me on that.. Cross your fingers!

I saw Namco MVA and Popcap 1 at TRU from a month ago when I was picking up Bayonetta & Darksiders. Would totally pick those up for $5.

I know. The reason I joined this site back in late 2004/early 2005 was because of the insane clearances TRU used to have. I remember picking up XBOX, PS2, PS1 and DC games for 75-90% off. Heck, I remember getting a couple copies of ICO for $2 and DC/PS1 games for $0.20-$1.00. The sales are crap now.. ;(

The 90% off green tag sale, that was amazing. So many games for next to nothing and the best part was many weren't even tagged. I wish they would run that again.

anybody know of any!!! ps3 games for about 15 bucks at TRU

I have 10 in credit i need to spend by 20th but I dont know what to get!

anybody know how often TRU clearnces out thier products

Ah, green tag..the memories. I remember getting around 10 copies of Mad Maestro (ps2) for 90 cents each, then brought all of them to F.Y.E. for $10 each, LOL.

[quote name='Optical']I know. The reason I joined this site back in late 2004/early 2005 was because of the insane clearances TRU used to have. I remember picking up XBOX, PS2, PS1 and DC games for 75-90% off. Heck, I remember getting a couple copies of ICO for $2 and DC/PS1 games for $0.20-$1.00. The sales are crap now.. ;([/QUOTE]

I never found anything for 90% off at TRU, but Kmart and Sears I used to get all sorts of goodies from.:D

I think the main reason I never found anything from TRU was the employees used to hoard all of them.:razz:

[quote name='msuna']man these clearances are becoming crappier and crappier[/QUOTE]

I believe these "Buy x Get 1 Free" sales are partly to blame. The only reason for clearances is excess inventory, but every time they have one those sales, the shelves are nearly bare by the end of the week at all the TRU's in my area. Also, TRU doesn't stock as many niche titles (eg Atlus, NIS, etc) as before.

[quote name='ytsejames']I believe these "Buy x Get 1 Free" sales are partly to blame. The only reason for clearances is excess inventory, but every time they have one those sales, the shelves are nearly bare by the end of the week at all the TRU's in my area. Also, TRU doesn't stock as many niche titles (eg Atlus, NIS, etc) as before.[/QUOTE]

What I think is to blame is the company that they've partnered with for the used game trade-in program. TRU is essentially partnered with a liquidator now, so there's no need for clearances; just ship everything off to this company for a lump of cash.

[quote name='Vegan']What I think is to blame is the company that they've partnered with for the used game trade-in program. TRU is essentially partnered with a liquidator now, so there's no need for clearances; just ship everything off to this company for a lump of cash.[/QUOTE]

Really? Are there any specific titles you've seen recently that have just disappeared rather than being clearanced or price reduced? My local TRU just seems to be holding onto older stuff at higher prices much longer. They also seem to be much more conservative about what they buy as someone posted earlier. Not a lot of Atlus or NIS stuff recently and even more mainstream stuff doesn't always get stocked.

[quote name='josh62488']anybody know of any!!! ps3 games for about 15 bucks at TRU

I have 10 in credit i need to spend by 20th but I dont know what to get!

anybody know how often TRU clearnces out thier products[/QUOTE]

You have proven yourself to be an idiot and lazy in this Thread and the HollyWood Video Thread. That's enough.

TRU clearance stinks lately. Most stores I go to don't even really have any kind of clearance in the electronics section. All I ever see is third-party accessories, and even then, it isn't even like controllers or guitar or chargers...just carrying cases and skins.

If you do find any clearance games at TRU, they are running a buy 1 get $5 off another for games $19.99 and under. Starts 2/7 I believe.

[quote name='bojay1997']They also seem to be much more conservative about what they buy as someone posted earlier. Not a lot of Atlus or NIS stuff recently and even more mainstream stuff doesn't always get stocked.[/QUOTE]

This is pretty much what I've noticed over the last few years at many stores. The TRU near me used to only get 1 copy of say an Altus game even during the PS2 hay days. I remember seeing 5-10 copies of games like Wild Arms 4 at Circuit City and knowing that it would be a safe bet to wait for it to be clearanced out at $10ish and still be around. Over the last few years many stores around me seem to not get too carried away with how many copies they carry (1-3) of anything that isn't Mario Bros, Madden, Guitar Hero or any of the games that are widespread and popular with the average casual gamer and expected to be a top seller.

[quote name='prim4444']it's not much but at least something to update. all take effect next Monday.
Dropping to $9.98

:ds:116628 National Geographic Panda
:ds:209374 Mushroom Men Fungi
:ds:363851 Tropix
:ds:393801 PDC World Championship Dart
:ds:393806 Desktop Tower Defense
:ds:889765 Pirates of the Caribbean 3
:360:203988 Popcap Arcade V1
:wii:126929 Foosball
:wii:209528 Imagine Party Babyz[/QUOTE]

hummm if you could find a 19.99 game you really wanted that desktop game is worth 5... the rest of the Ds games are pure trash... Dont even spend a buck on the dart game its just unplayable

[quote name='slidecage']hummm if you could find a 19.99 game you really wanted that desktop game is worth 5... the rest of the Ds games are pure trash... Dont even spend a buck on the dart game its just unplayable[/QUOTE]

How's National Geographic Panda?

[quote name='Josef']If you do find any clearance games at TRU, they are running a buy 1 get $5 off another for games $19.99 and under. Starts 2/7 I believe.[/QUOTE]

lol, I could buy samba di amigo for $5 and get another for freeeeeee.

Last week, I noticed TRU had Wii Spyborgs marked down to $9.99. That would probably be a good choice to take advantage of the $5.00 off if it's still available.

So... pretty weak update but, a bunch of :wii:and :ds: shovelware going down in price on Monday. I didn't get a chance to print out a list so I don't know any titles. You're not really missing much... All in the price range of $9.99 - $19.99 dropping down to $5.00 - $9.98
(I do remember seeing a lot of these titles in the one and two day sales from last year.)

Only thing for :ps3:/:360: I saw was Afro Samurai dropping down to $9.98

All GBA games dropping down $5.00 - $3.00

I just received a birthday club coupon in the mail and instead of a $3 off $3 coupon like those from previous years, it's a $5 off $25 now.

[quote name='prim4444']So... pretty weak update but, a bunch of :wii:and :ds: shovelware going down in price on Monday. I didn't get a chance to print out a list so I don't know any titles. You're not really missing much... All in the price range of $9.99 - $19.99 dropping down to $5.00 - $9.98
(I do remember seeing a lot of these titles in the one and two day sales from last year.)

All GBA games dropping down $5.00 - $3.00[/QUOTE]

I noticed some GBA games were $5, some were $3 now. Seems strange they were $3 with the 3 for $10 promo going on but I guess that is ending.

It's too bad they didn't have the drops this week since any $5 games would have gone nicely with the $5 off 2 games under $19.99 promo making them basically Buy 1 Get 1 Free.

[quote name='Grecco']Afro Samura for 10 bucks? Bought[/QUOTE]

That game sucks hard. Wait until you get to the flamethrower boss. Terrible.

[quote name='lolwut?']Anyone know if the HD DVD add on for 360 is supposed to be cheap? The TRU near me had one but it was marked $50. I didn't know if that was an old price or not.[/QUOTE]

If I were you, I'd pick it up. Of course, maybe there are a lot left at
your store. I would factor in the rarity of the drive into whether or not
you are going to buy it.

[quote name='prim4444']So... pretty weak update but, a bunch of :wii:and :ds: shovelware going down in price on Monday. I didn't get a chance to print out a list so I don't know any titles. You're not really missing much... All in the price range of $9.99 - $19.99 dropping down to $5.00 - $9.98

All GBA games dropping down $5.00 - $3.00[/QUOTE]

Sonofabitch. I just bought Afro Samurai maybe 2-3 weeks ago for $15. Looks like I'll have to dig up the receipt and go get another $5 back by doing a quick return/rebuy at the $10 price.

Guitar Hero World Tour Guitar Bundle (PS3/360) is 49.98, and the GH3 bundles are down to 39.98.

Not sure when they bumped down, but the WT Guitar Bundle is a hell of a deal at that point IMO. Thing is well built and feels good.

[quote name='VashandWolfwood']Guitar Hero World Tour Guitar Bundle (PS3/360) is 49.98, and the GH3 bundles are down to 39.98.

Not sure when they bumped down, but the WT Guitar Bundle is a hell of a deal at that point IMO. Thing is well built and feels good.[/QUOTE]

I think they dropped the 2nd week of Jan. The Wii version was included in these drops as well.

[quote name='eau']I just received a birthday club coupon in the mail and instead of a $3 off $3 coupon like those
from previous years, it's a $5 off $25 now.[/QUOTE]

Isn't the birthday club supposedly for children only or is there one for adults?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back