The (old) GameRush/Blockbuster Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

io

Staff member
Feedback
89 (100%)
Welcome to the Official CAG Gamerush/Blockbuster video game deal thread.

First and foremost, please check out the
GameRush Trade-In Prices Wiki.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What is this thread for?
The primary function of this thread is to discuss current trade-in and sale promos and to post any trade-in values you have obtained. Please post trade-in values with the date of the trade (or quote) and system. One of the CAG Wiki editors will then add them to the Wiki.

It is also permissible to discuss system availability, credit issues, etc. As long as it is related to game trades or sales at Blockbuster it is generally OK to discuss it here.

Unlike more tightly focused clearance threads, it is OK to discuss more general Gamerush/Blockbuster issues here as well as trade requests as long as they are kept to a minimum (and usually just during specific deals, of which there are none currently).

Due to the questionable stability of the Gamerush brand, it is also permissible to discuss ways of converting credit from Blockbuster to other stores (ie, which games may be used for trading in to other stores such as Gamecrazy or EB/GS). As of right now, we have no indication of Gamerush's imminent demise, but given Blockbuster's ongoing financial difficulties we need to be aware of the possibility.

What is this thread NOT for?
There will be absolutely NO DISCUSSION of the recent doctored coupon. Do not discuss what you bought, what you traded it for, or anything else - all such posts will be deleted. Any discussion of that should be done here.

Also, it is bad form to discuss the flipping of games from one Gamerush store to another should another such opportunity arrive (through trade-in deals which we haven't had recently anyway). It is one thing to "play the market" with trade-in values from one chain to another (GR to GC to EB) - free market buy low/sell high and all that. But taking advantage of loopholes in a single store's policies/promos is frowned upon and has, in the past, led to trade-in bans from GR.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

General Info
- Trade-in credit can be placed onto your store account or onto a "Value" card
- Credit on store accounts can only be used at that one store
- However, credit can be transferred from the store account to a card at any time
- Value cards can be used at any location
- Gamerush stores often do not get new game stock until the Friday of the release week, thus a few days later than most retailers

Gamerush vs. regular Blockbusters
All Blockbuster game-related discussion belongs here. Most threads created in the Deals forum will be merged in to here. There seems to be the impression by many CAGs that if they don't have a Gamerush store near them then this thread does not apply to them. However, regular (non-GR) Blockbuster stores often run the same promos and generally have the same trade-in values.

The key differences:
- Only Gamerush stores sell new and used video game hardware, with the exception of the occasional new controller/memory card spotted at regular stores. (Edit - Some recent exceptions have cropped up: many regular BB stores had a PS3 bundle available over Christmas and a few stores have been reported to sell DS Lites).

- Only Gamerush stores allow for preorders of new games (though, it seems, many of those have even stopped taking preorders).

- While many Gamerush stores have cut back on their new game stock, some regular (non-GR) Blockbusters have started selling new games. They usually have a very limited selection of top-selling new 360, PS3, and Wii games. I will be maintaining a list below here for those with Blockbuster credit but no access to a GR store.

- Trade-in values are controlled centrally and are uniform across all Gamerush and Blockbuster locations EXCEPT if the Blockbuster is a franchise location. You can tell from the receipt if your store is a franchise store. All Gamerush stores are corporate-owned so they will have uniform pricing.

New games that may be available for purchase at select non-GR Blockbusters
For those with access to only regular Blockbuster stores but wanting to take advantage of the decent trade-in values Blockbuster offers, this is the list of new games being sold by some regular Blockbuster locations. Note that they will generally not get new games on the release date. They will most likely have them a few days to weeks later.

:ds:
Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass

:360:
Bioshock
Blue Dragon
Call of Duty 4
Guitar Hero III
Halo 3
Lego Star Wars TCS
Mass Effect
NBA Live 08
The Orange Box

:ps2:
Guitar Hero III
Spiderman Friend or Foe

:ps3:
80GB PS3 bundle for $600 (PS3, Surf's Up Blu-Ray, HDMI cable, 20-week rental card)
Assassin's Creed
Lego Star Wars TCS
NBA Live 08
Ratchet & Clank Tools of Destruction
Rock Band bundle
Uncharted

:wii:
Guitar Hero III
NBA Live 08
Mario Party 8
Mario Strikers Charged
Super Mario Galaxy

Current Trade-In Deals

There are no trade-in deals at this time. The trade 3 get an extra $5 per game is still in affect at some (very select) locations.

Reported Trade-In Prices

Trade-In Price Wiki

Big thanks to Bretts who left me that $10 Beowulf PS3 at BB I got it this afternoon. :D Was gonna ask if they had more in the back but they were packed and I was running late so didn't bother.

Thanks for the heads up on the CC games next week. I had already planned on going in to get myself a copy of each to play but damn looks like i'll be hurrying through the game to trade it back in! :D

Circuit City starting Sunday has all 19.99 games on sale 2 for $30. That would be another opportunity for more Beowulf dollars at $15 a pop.

anyone know if accounts are linked to all gamecrazy stores? i traded in at two different gc, but my account wasn't in the system at one of the stores.

[quote name='elmyra']Where are you located?[/quote]

Southeast Michigan. North of Detroit.

Looks like Monster Madness is going to be a solid moneymaker for a few days. Especially if anyone gets their bill over $200 to use that $40 coupon!

[quote name='ghozt']anyone know if accounts are linked to all gamecrazy stores? i traded in at two different gc, but my account wasn't in the system at one of the stores.[/QUOTE]

nope. they are not. I traded 28 copies of Beowulf (1 PS3, 1 Xb360) & 14 copies of armored core 4 at all 14 GC locations in so cal. Picked up 9 pink Nintendo DS Lites.

[quote name='RandyTsai']nope. they are not. I traded 28 copies of Beowulf (1 PS3, 1 Xb360) & 14 copies of armored core 4 at all 14 GC locations in so cal. Picked up 9 pink Nintendo DS Lites.[/quote]
thanks for the quick reply. gc allows 2 copies of the same game to be traded in so i guess ill be hitting up every gc in my area this weekend to rack up more credit.

[quote name='ghozt']thanks for the quick reply. gc allows 2 copies of the same game to be traded in so i guess ill be hitting up every gc in my area this weekend to rack up more credit.[/QUOTE]

Trying pickin up some armor code 4 from CC with their gamer membership that give 10% off plus the 15 off 100 coupon. They trade in for $24 @ gamerush, so just GC price match that as well to make another 10 bucks.

I just have a regular BB that I trade games in at and I always just put the credit on my account, I rent there a lot anyways, but I am wondering if anyone knows if I can get this put on gift card or something instead? I don't remember if I have ever been handed this option or not. I'd call but I swear I am the only person who trades in at this strore so only a few employees ever know whats going on. I ask because they only let me trade in 2x of each title so I was going to get my brother to trade in a few games and I hpe get it on a gift card to give to me. Any help would much appreciated. Thanks for all the and my much larger game collection thanks you too... though I doubt my wife does : )

[quote name='noone13']I just have a regular BB that I trade games in at and I always just put the credit on my account, I rent there a lot anyways, but I am wondering if anyone knows if I can get this put on gift card or something instead? I don't remember if I have ever been handed this option or not. I'd call but I swear I am the only person who trades in at this strore so only a few employees ever know whats going on. I ask because they only let me trade in 2x of each title so I was going to get my brother to trade in a few games and I hpe get it on a gift card to give to me. Any help would much appreciated. Thanks for all the and my much larger game collection thanks you too... though I doubt my wife does : )[/quote]

You can have them put it on a Blockbuster Value Card, pretty much the same as a gift card

[quote name='RandyTsai']nope. they are not. I traded 28 copies of Beowulf (1 PS3, 1 Xb360) & 14 copies of armored core 4 at all 14 GC locations in so cal. Picked up 9 pink Nintendo DS Lites.[/QUOTE]

Now that is some crazy trading. Too much driving for me expecially during the holiday rush.

I tried pm trade-in values at GC but they turned me down. I inquired about their best trade-in policy but they just said no.

[quote name='nlyonssmith']so, how do you guys get GC to price match? Do they call BBGR and ask for the TIV or do you bring a receipt or what?[/quote]

yea they call bb to confirm. i give them the number to save them the hassle of finding it.

What this deal is just too good. i am going to try to get a few copies and build some quick credit up for my PS3 purcahse..

So the deal was $20 at EB but now its $10 at BB with a copuon?

Then people are picking up Halo 3 and using the 30% deal to EB?

Fill me in guess I just read most back to page 48 and still have not got all the details.

[quote name='Snake2715']What this deal is just too good. i am going to try to get a few copies and build some quick credit up for my PS3 purcahse..

So the deal was $20 at EB but now its $10 at BB with a copuon?

Then people are picking up Halo 3 and using the 30% deal to EB?

Fill me in guess I just read most back to page 48 and still have not got all the details.[/quote]

Right, use the 30% more (which ends TODAY) and then the other 10% off coupon at GS to buy more copies of Beowulf. Then repeat with as many Halo 3 copies in your GR/BB store.

[quote name='Bretts31344']Right, use the 30% more (which ends TODAY) and then the other 10% off coupon at GS to buy more copies of Beowulf. Then repeat with as many Halo 3 copies in your GR/BB store.[/QUOTE]

Thanks found the coupons.

I wont go that deep. I think tht would cause problems for me particularly.

Thanks again.

[quote name='wolfpackgamer']However idk how well it would work if the cashier had to read fine print if I had included it. Also of note was the fact that my coupons didn't scan. They had to manually ender the SKU number on each one, which was harrowing for me because I worried they would turn me down and the transactions took so long.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I had the same worry, but it went through OK. The biggest problem with that coupon is the 72 dpi (ie, actual size) scan someone provided - that doesn't allow for enough detail in the UPC for it to be scannable. Fortunately it also makes the fine print nearly unreadable so the "no copies" provision wasn't too noticeable. No offense to whoever posted that coupon, but it needs to be at least 200 dpi.

[quote name='RandyTsai']nope. they are not. I traded 28 copies of Beowulf (1 PS3, 1 Xb360) & 14 copies of armored core 4 at all 14 GC locations in so cal. Picked up 9 pink Nintendo DS Lites.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but YMMV on that as at the GC I went to last night they had never heard of a price-match guarantee and even called their manager to confirm it. Plus they knew about the $19.99 value for Beowulf and wouldn't have done it even if they did price match. That's the problem with GC vs Blockbuster - the cashiers are a little more game savvy than at Blockbuster ;).

So now CC is providing more fodder... Oh well, I was hoping for a break this weekend but I guess not.

Randy - what is the trade value for Armored Core 4 out of curiosity? And also, is your post a joke or did you really buy 9 pink DS Lites? :lol:

Trade-in 2 copies "BEOWULF" (PS3) today $77.56 after taxes. Yay, I love to trade-in more but my local BB is OOS. I'll ask my buddy pickup 2 copies for me tomorrow from different BB :)

For $80 cash i can get NEW PSP SLIME & NEW DS LITE :)

[quote name='Masterkyo']Trade-in 2 copies "BEOWULF" (PS3) today $77.56 after taxes. Yay, I love to trade-in more but my local BB is OOS. I'll ask my buddy pickup 2 copies for me tomorrow from different BB :)

For $80 cash i can get NEW PSP SLIME & NEW DS LITE :)[/quote]

LOL

[quote name='RandyTsai']nope. they are not. I traded 28 copies of Beowulf (1 PS3, 1 Xb360) & 14 copies of armored core 4 at all 14 GC locations in so cal. Picked up 9 pink Nintendo DS Lites.[/quote]
Hmmm... I call BS only because there's no way anyone could have gone to all 14 locations (including Whittier in Los Angeles, over to San Jacinto in the IE, and all the way down to National city in San Diego) without being insane and accounting for gas and time.

Roundtrip - 287 mi – about 5 hours 7 mins
Google Maps round trip to hit up the furthest GameCrazies in SoCal

Definitely BS or insanity, especially since it would have been very easy to find 4 GameRush/Blockbusters and flipped to them over a period of 2 days (4 copies [2 of each console] @ 4 GameRuses) since most GR have DS lites in stock and it wouldn't be anywhere near as much driving.

So I'm up to $400 even and no one near me has a 40g PS3 in stock :cry:

Have to wait till Wednesday and see if the Gamerush near me gets them in. Might just have to flip a few more copies and get a 60g.

[quote name='grecianfox']Call of Juarez trades for $15
Monster Madness (X360) trades for (drumroll please)...... 28.50.

Have fun shopping at CC on Sunday gents.[/QUOTE]

Well I hope CC has been holding a good stock of these (and Juarez) to put out on Sunday, because I was in there recently and they had ONE copy of Monster Madness.

[quote name='nlyonssmith']Guys, I got a Wii today with my GR credit. I feel awesome.[/QUOTE]

Jeez, what store had a Wii just sitting there? (Are GR getting Wiis in this week?!)

[quote name='Wii']hi I just flipped 100 copies of Beowulf across the state and I'm cool[/QUOTE]

ZOMG u noob I fliped 2000 beouwlfz thru 18 states and made 10 hundred thousand dollars creditz!!!!!111!

[quote name='Wii']hi I just flipped 100 copies of Beowulf across the state and I'm cool[/quote]
I call BS because you're clearly not cool.

[quote name='dinovelvet']ZOMG u noob I fliped 2000 beouwlfz thru 18 states and made 10 hundred thousand dollars creditz!!!!!111![/quote]
I call BS because even with the bonus, you would only get $80,000 in store credit, opposed to the $1,000,000 you claim.

[quote name='djkunai']Hmmm... I call BS only because there's no way anyone could have gone to all 14 locations (including Whittier in Los Angeles, over to San Jacinto in the IE, and all the way down to National city in San Diego) without being insane and accounting for gas and time.

[/QUOTE]

Hehe, good catch. I assumed there were WAY more than 14 GC's down in SoCal since there's nearly that many just in the Portland Metro area (Hell, I'd figure there would be 100 down there). I could do something similar to Randy without nearly as much driving and yet with the YMMV of GC clerks it wouldn't even be worth trying. I think I'm going to try ONE more location since they are near the Blockbuster I want to trade a set in at. If I can get rid of my last 2 sets at these two stores which are 1/4 mile apart, that would be great.

my final tally=
spent= $60 + tax
Got= $294 GS credit + $11 BB credit.

I'll probably get GH3 and keep a bunch of credit available in case other games become cheap at GS, that way I can start flipping again w/o any new cash investment.

[quote name='sasukekun']So I'm up to $400 even and no one near me has a 40g PS3 in stock :cry:

Have to wait till Wednesday and see if the Gamerush near me gets them in. Might just have to flip a few more copies and get a 60g.[/QUOTE]

I'm not sure GR's carry the 40GB PS3. I know from looking around a few weeks ago that none of the Cincinnati area stores carry the 40 GB (though some have a few 60GB models hanging around).

[quote name='grecianfox']I'm not sure GR's carry the 40GB PS3. I know from looking around a few weeks ago that none of the Cincinnati area stores carry the 40 GB (though some have a few 60GB models hanging around).[/QUOTE]

Dude should totally go for a 60 GB anyway..... stupid gimped 40 GB.....

[quote name='dinovelvet']Jeez, what store had a Wii just sitting there? (Are GR getting Wiis in this week?!)[/quote]

I asked at my store and was told they had gotten 3 in on Tuesday (he also said they were expecting 11). I was checking to see what games they had b/c I have $300 in gift cards to spend there. I was shocked to see they had gotten Time Crisis 4.

Took care of another round of six Beowulfs... and couldn't resist picking up three Halo 3s to get my GS credit back up in the $200 range. Considering that I'm up to $800 in BB/GR credit now, I think I'm done. ...unless this holds for another week.

For the record, a trade value that I don't recall seeing before:

DS SNK vs. Capcom Card Fighters - $10

[quote name='djkunai']Hmmm... I call BS only because there's no way anyone could have gone to all 14 locations (including Whittier in Los Angeles, over to San Jacinto in the IE, and all the way down to National city in San Diego) without being insane and accounting for gas and time.

Definitely BS or insanity, especially since it would have been very easy to find 4 GameRush/Blockbusters and flipped to them over a period of 2 days (4 copies [2 of each console] @ 4 GameRuses) since most GR have DS lites in stock and it wouldn't be anywhere near as much driving.[/QUOTE]

it was over the last couple of days. I ebay so its in my routine. I have 3 routes that i take once a month, but since its christmas i just knocked them all out in one weekend. I hit up the gamerushs, ebgames, & gamestops.

I spent less than $85 and got over $185 in Game Stop credit plus Metal Slug Anthology PS2, Leisure Suit Larry Xbox, and about 5 games to resell to further lessen the original $85 spent :)

I turned $20 (Two copies of Beowulf from Best Buy) into $160 BB/GR credit and around $60 credit at Gamestop. The GS credit will be spent on three more copies of Beowulf. Then I am calling it quits. I love being done with college this semester. All I did today was drive around "making" money and burning a little gas. I just need to pick up a Wii Zapper, COD4, Mass Effect (again, since I returned it so I didn't spend any more cash, lol), MS points, and Wii points. I will then have completed Christmas shopping for my family of seven. Thanks everyone on this forum!

EDIT: And I have $15 worth of those Beowulf movie credit dollars. Those are useless to me, but my friends will enjoy $5 off the incredibly overpriced concession stand items.

[quote name='RandyTsai']it was over the last couple of days. I ebay so its in my routine. I have 3 routes that i take once a month, but since its christmas i just knocked them all out in one weekend. I hit up the gamerushs, ebgames, & gamestops.[/quote]

Definitely insanity.

[quote name='RandyTsai']it was over the last couple of days. I ebay so its in my routine. I have 3 routes that i take once a month, but since its christmas i just knocked them all out in one weekend. I hit up the gamerushs, ebgames, & gamestops.[/QUOTE]

Awesome - now cough up the value for armored core 4!

Dave

Oh God.

My friends are apparently matching and trading them in to their own stores, then buying them back on the spot with earned credit and trading them at BB...

I think this is going to end badly.

First thanks to djkunai for this fabulous idea (I am guessing it was you because swap is no longer used in this thread) and io for giving the heads up in the gamestop thread.

Was able to turn 2 copies of Beowulf ( + 2 copies of Madden 06 (360) into 2 Halos. Halos went to 4 Beowulfs. 4 Beowulfs went to 3 Halos.

So the trade is basically:

($37)
LoZ: Phantom Hourglass
$10 in gas

for

$190 in Gamestop Credit I didn't know what to do with it. Then my local gamestop came through

SMT:Nocturne ($47.00 after 20%) Disc has some scratches, but you can't complain when you get a working copy of Nocturne for sub-$50 (in credit no less)
Ikaruga ($32.00 after 20%) Complete and Pristine
Persona 3 ($36.00 after 20%) Complete and Pristine
Xbox Marvel vs. Capcom 2 ($58.00 after 20%) Complete and Pristine

I probably need to show pictures as proof. It was like the perfect storm of tough to find games at the right time.

Hey guys, how do you use the Best Buy $10 off coupons multiple times for Beowulf at the same Best Buy?

[quote name='monkeydeew']i.e. fingerprints and 2 forms of ID?[/quote]

Retinal scans, blood and urine samples and a colon map.

armor cored 4 trades in for $24. It isnt worth it just to pick up the game alone and trade it in. But if you already picking up other games and have circuit city's gamers saving club card & the 15 off 100 coupon its another $10 you can add on.

[quote name='xeorm']Hey guys, how do you use the Best Buy $10 off coupons multiple times for Beowulf at the same Best Buy?[/QUOTE]
I usually just ask them to do it one at a time. They can apply the coupon multiple times in one sale, but usually only the best of the best know how to do this properly (scan one game, scan one coupon, scan one game, scan one coupon). So yeah, usually one at a time unless the teller says he can handle multiples.

So this if my first time working with GameRush but it has been pretty simple. I spent about $120 at various BB locations, and then I would trade in one or two copies at each GR. Unfortunately the used game selection at these stores is TERRIBLE so after eight trade in encounters, I've only found one copy of Halo 3. So as of now I have about $360 in store credit at Game Rush, and some replacement PSP Headphones. It doesn't look like I'll be able to get a really good deal converting this credit to GS credit because the 30% extra trade in ended today, so I'll have to hold onto this until they have something I want (unlikely), or they start getting a decent used game selection and GS offers a new trade in promotion. I might do this for one more day because Beowulf copies are getting harder to find and I don't EVER want to trade in the game to a cashier that I already traded a Beowulf to the other day.

I actually ran into another CAGer today while at GR/BB in SoCal. I traded in a couple of Beowulfs and went to grab a copy of Halo 3. When i got back in line, the cashier was helping the other CAGer trade in another 2 copies of Beowulf and purchase Halo 3. The look on my face was:hot:. I'm just glad the cashier didn't take a shit on us, and he actually thought that the other CAGer was me for a second. We both got our credit and Halo 3s though so all is well.

Oh, and for those in SoCal, the BB off the 5 Freeway near The Block has a couple of copies of Beowulf left.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back