The Santa's Slay Wrestling Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
One working theory is that they're deliberately shitting the bed on the third hour b/c hour #2 is now the time for selling the main stuff (i.e., they've accepted that hour #3 is when a lot of viewers tune out).

That's a little too conspiratorial for me (I don't think WWE would sabotage their own show that isn't called "WCW" or "ECW"), especially since I assume they hyped Cena coming out for the whole show, yes? So they wouldn't build up to a segment that intentionally seeks to get over like a fart in church.

I think they let Cena roll out there without a script and he failed. There's no way his schtick was written. Or worse yet, it was. ;) Not everyone can hit a home run every night if they shake up the things they say in their promos. Rock's had some "ehhhh" moments in his promos the past few years, yes? That's all it is, I suspect.

One has to wonder though, how many people tried to add Skidmarks187 to their friends list on XBL since Monday night?

[quote name='mykevermin']Punk bores me on the mic.

I read about Cena's promo being gaaaaaahd-awful this past Monday, so I went back to watch it. I have to admit I was taken in by it. But for the wrong reasons. It was a stream-of-consciousness so full of fail I was awestruck. I understand what he was trying to set up, but it fucking *failed* miserably. That said, it was very catchy in a car-wreck sense, waiting to see his next fall-flat clever phrase. I'd tune in to watch Cena flop on the mic for a few months.

But Punk doesn't work for me. He tries too hard to be a new kind of cool heel. The problem is that most of the stuff he says is *right* - which is just wrong wrong wrong for a heel. I find that he's (thematically) repetitive on the mic, and the things he says don't really make me react one way or another. He's not Randy Orton boring, but he's getting there.[/QUOTE]

He appeals to smarks with his "Tyson Kidd" plug and other insider references. I think a true heel should repel the mindless WWE fan and the older wrasslin fan. That's why Miz works better as a heel. The 10-year-old WWE fan dislikes him for being a jerk, and the older WWE fan dislikes him because of Tough Enough or MTV or the fact that his in-ring work is pretty boring or whatever else.

Everyone wants to be a tweener and no one wants to fully commit. This includes Punk. Outside of Barrett and Ryder, who else completely embraces their character alignment? Even Brodus Clay has shown signs of turning heel. Just ridiculous.

Gonna point out that D-Von knows how to work the crowd and is an excellent heel. Bubba, too. Bobby Roode, Robbie E, Daniels, Kazarian, etc.

And is anyone else done with this "Shield" angle/gimmick? Had potential but now just painfully boring.

[quote name='dkreegz515']Rock is champ for 2 months... think of all the press they will get. and the craziest thoughts i've had.... rock beats punk.... cena wins Rumble, then cena beats rock for title........... then ziggler cashes in... and wins... thats my prediction.[/QUOTE]

Ziggler cant cash in. It's not the World Heavyweight title.

Miz is a thoroughly unlikeable skeezer, that's why he's a heel.

[quote name='Chase']And is anyone else done with this "Shield" angle/gimmick? Had potential but now just painfully boring.[/QUOTE]

I'm trying to learn to be more patient with this angle and Aces/Eights. Give it time to develop, if only to encourage slower story arcs in wrestling, and less hot shot, shortsighted stuff.

I just think its ridiculous that that not one member of the shield has had a match beyond one PPV match yet(unless you count NXT and NXT kind of exists in its own universe almost). They need to establish a little cred in ring.

The "cred" they are trying to establish with The Shield is that they're badasses that aren't governed by anyone (I guess if you ignore the PPV match, my thesis is true?). I mean, why else hasn't Vince said "YOU'RRRREEEE FIIIIIIAAAARRRRREEEDDD"?

[quote name='mykevermin']Punk bores me on the mic.

I read about Cena's promo being gaaaaaahd-awful this past Monday, so I went back to watch it. I have to admit I was taken in by it. But for the wrong reasons. It was a stream-of-consciousness so full of fail I was awestruck. I understand what he was trying to set up, but it fucking *failed* miserably. That said, it was very catchy in a car-wreck sense, waiting to see his next fall-flat clever phrase. I'd tune in to watch Cena flop on the mic for a few months.

But Punk doesn't work for me. He tries too hard to be a new kind of cool heel. The problem is that most of the stuff he says is *right* - which is just wrong wrong wrong for a heel. I find that he's (thematically) repetitive on the mic, and the things he says don't really make me react one way or another. He's not Randy Orton boring, but he's getting there.[/QUOTE]

To me, he's past Randy Orton boring. I mute the television every time he appears on the screen.

That's pretty odd, because I only tune in when CM Punk (or Antonio Cesaro) is talking/wrassling. Everything else is muted or turned off.

[quote name='Mandy I Am']To me, he's past Randy Orton boring. I mute the television every time he appears on the screen.[/QUOTE]

Orton has absolutely no character anymore. He's just this mindless guy that seems to be out there only for a check. He could easily be a major heel. He has the past history, the look, etc.

I read recently that Orton might be taking time off for "personal reasons", so maybe that's why he seems out of it lately. idk...

Super-Cena is starting to wear thin as well.

Orton's problem is that he's a natural heel that only turned because the fans kept cheering him. He's honestly one of the few WWE guys I can name in recent memory who had a turn based on fan reaction. The problem is that it neutered an already boring guy even further.

Plus, he's a two striker, which means they're likely hesistant to invest in him. I'm still surprised that the rumor for Mania is Orton/Sheamus, but I'm convinced it's solely because Orton still gets a bigger reaction than most SD guys and they aren't ready to commit to an up-and-comer yet. We'll see. At the end of the day, though, how many programs do you want to base around a guy who could fuck up at any time and suddenly force your hand with the Wellness Policy? Both he and Mysterio are high profile enough that it'd be hard to keep quiet if they hit that third strike.

In terms of having no character, Orton has basically been nothing more than a finishing move for a very, very long time. It's a shame, too, because I do think Orton has a lot of squandered potential, but we're unlikely to ever see it at this point.

Agreed. I remember early on being impressed with how much effort he put into his moves. Even his rest holds showed signs of practice and refinement.

[quote name='007']Orton's problem is that he's a natural heel that only turned because the fans kept cheering him. He's honestly one of the few WWE guys I can name in recent memory who had a turn based on fan reaction. The problem is that it neutered an already boring guy even further.

Plus, he's a two striker, which means they're likely hesistant to invest in him. I'm still surprised that the rumor for Mania is Orton/Sheamus, but I'm convinced it's solely because Orton still gets a bigger reaction than most SD guys and they aren't ready to commit to an up-and-comer yet. We'll see. At the end of the day, though, how many programs do you want to base around a guy who could fuck up at any time and suddenly force your hand with the Wellness Policy? Both he and Mysterio are high profile enough that it'd be hard to keep quiet if they hit that third strike.

In terms of having no character, Orton has basically been nothing more than a finishing move for a very, very long time. It's a shame, too, because I do think Orton has a lot of squandered potential, but we're unlikely to ever see it at this point.[/QUOTE]

Regarding the wellness plan. How is it that the WWE could have someone like Ryback on the roster (who, in my opinion, has to be on SOMETHING)? I just don't see how a guy gets into that kind of condition without some help...

[quote name='mykevermin']Agreed. I remember early on being impressed with how much effort he put into his moves. Even his rest holds showed signs of practice and refinement.[/QUOTE]

"Another chinlock, Randy?"

Already mentioned a bit above, but Punk's fairly sudden overbearing disdain for the people just seems too forced to me, like he's desperately trying to be Anti-Rock (who is equally overboard in his "FOR THE PEOPLE!!" role). I'd probably have no problem with him if he moved more towards someone who doesn't give a fuck about the people one way or the other and just wants to win, by being a sneaky and conniving dickhead when necessary. Suppose it's possible/probable that WWE wants him to go 200% antagonistic in order to make sure he's booed, but I really don't think what I said about him not caring about the people would cause him to get more cheers than he's already going to get against The Rock no matter what Punk does.

I guess The Shield hasn't been a total runaway success, and some of the promos (and Tweets, specifically from Rollins) have gotten a bit corny with the emphasis on how they are out for justice or whatever, but I'm definitely willing to give them a pass for a while. Ambrose is good enough to carry it on the mic, and their few matches have been fun.

Just don't know what you do with them for Mania. Sticking them in some sort of match with Ryback seems the logical route, but a handicap match probably makes The Shield look like shit even with a victory, and another Ryback + whoever tag match seems underwhelming.

I'd love to see The Shield guys end up in Money In The Bank.

Ziggler still has MITB, no? It won't happen, but I'd love to see him win the Rumble and cash in MITB to unify the belts.

[quote name='JJSP']I'd love to see The Shield guys end up in Money In The Bank.

Ziggler still has MITB, no? It won't happen, but I'd love to see him win the Rumble and cash in MITB to unify the belts.[/QUOTE]

That would be an excellent way to unify the belts, but Ziggler wouldn't be the guy to do it. It'd be Punk or Cena, realistically.

I'd love to see The Shield interfere in a MITB match and "commandeer" the briefcase. But that's a whole other fantasy booking animal....

[quote name='mykevermin']Wade Barrett possibly spoiled a surprise entrant into this year's Royal Rumble on twitter today.

Papa Shango
[/QUOTE]

I read some comments on an article about that that said Barrett was just fucking around and did the same exact joke last year...but man I hope that isn't true, because

Cena collapsing and puking would be great

[quote name='mykevermin']Wade Barrett possibly spoiled a surprise entrant into this year's Royal Rumble on twitter today.

Papa Shango
[/QUOTE]

I think it's a prank. He apparently pulled the same joke last year.

[quote name='KaneRobot']I read some comments on an article about that that said Barrett was just fucking around and did the same exact joke last year...but man I hope that isn't true, because

Cena collapsing and puking would be great
[/QUOTE]

He did.

https://twitter.com/WadeBarrett/status/162197649099993089

“Just heard from my good pal Papa Shango. He tells me he has one of the guest spots in this year’s Royal Rumble match. Great news.”

[quote name='mykevermin']Miz is a thoroughly unlikeable skeezer, that's why he's a heel.

I'm trying to learn to be more patient with this angle and Aces/Eights. Give it time to develop, if only to encourage slower story arcs in wrestling, and less hot shot, shortsighted stuff.[/QUOTE]

Ain't gonna lie: I thought Miz would make a good face, and maybe even face of the company, but man, I was wrong. He just doesn't work as a face. Del Rio, tho, is pretty good as a face, but mostly because Rodriguez is very likable. Who doesn't love Rodriguez?

And you're right. I will give this "Shield" angle more time to develop. I actually like how TNA has chosen to handle the Aces and Eights angle, so it's only fair to be less critical of a faction with Black and Moxley. However, after everything dating back to the Invasion disaster, I find it easier to loan more faith to TNA than WWE.

Anyone see Eve's first Gracie Breakdown? Shame we never got an Eve-Danielson pairing, tho it's difficult to think of a better current WWE tag team than Kane and Bryan.

Unrelated, but I'm going to my first Coachella this year and Myke will be happy to know Social D, Descendents, and Dropkick Murphys are all playing.

I don't "get" Daniels and Kaz, but they're still solid. It almost seems to me like they're intentionally trying to mimic Kathie Lee and Hoda. Which, incidentally, is a *great* recipe for being an overbearing, obnoxious heel.

[quote name='JJSP']Unrelated, but I'm going to my first Coachella this year and Myke will be happy to know Social D, Descendents, and Dropkick Murphys are all playing.[/QUOTE]

If I'm going to break my back to see one show this year, it'll be BLACK FLAG in Kent, UK.

http://www.nme.com/news/black-flag/68356

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlMgG6Ug-TM

I dig the idea of NXT stars getting a chance to participate in the Royal Rumble. I do feel, however, that an important name is missing from the list of competitors. (Hint: Let's just say that he's been a HERO of mine...) I just hope more than one guy finds their way to the Rumble.

[quote name='Yggy87']
I dig the idea of NXT stars getting a chance to participate in the Royal Rumble. I do feel, however, that an important name is missing from the list of competitors. (Hint: Let's just say that he's been a HERO of mine...) I just hope more than one guy finds their way to the Rumble.[/QUOTE]

I see Dallas or Kruger being the guy to represent NXT. Who the fuck is Oliver Grey?

They should put skull facepaint on that Graves guy for obvious reasons.

Originally Posted by dkreegz515
Rock is champ for 2 months... think of all the press they will get. and the craziest thoughts i've had.... rock beats punk.... cena wins Rumble, then cena beats rock for title........... then ziggler cashes in... and wins... thats my prediction.

i thought I read somewhere

Rock beats punk

Rock loses belt in chamber match (cena wins) FEB PPV

Triple match

PUNK VS CENA VS ROCK at wrestlemania

So curious, but what's the news on Taker now with Wrestlemania season starting? Because I think Lesnar is still being set up for HHH, so that bars that match from happening.

That, and I'd be more excited to see Punk beat Rock, Cena take on Rock sans title, and Punk, feeling untouchable, get set up against a humbling Undertaker for a streak vs. reign match at WM.

In that instance, though, you're forced to go one of two extreme ways: Punk ends the streak or you get a less-than-part-timer-but-extremely-recognizable guy as your champion.. unless UT wins then Ziggler cashes in, but that would make UT look like a huge chump

I don't think there is any way Punk vs. Taker happens with the title on the line, but for some reason this seems to be the most popular wish on the internet.

Punk isn't going to break the streak (at this point, no one should), and Taker works once a year - no way he's winning the title.

I think we're heading for Cena/Rock II, with one of them as WWE Champion. My guess is Rock wins at the Rumble or EC, and Cena wins the Rumble. Having the WWE title on the line for that rematch is the only way it will be a step up in terms of hype from last year.

Punk, after trying to get the title back at EC, can say he broke all kinds of records and streaks when he was WWE Champion, so now he wants to break the most important streak at WrestleMania - Undertaker's. It practically writes itself.

Brock/Triple H II also seems likely. Especially if Brock doesn't re-sign. Triple H "needs" to get his win back and they're not letting Brock go out on top.

If Sheamus/Orton is the WHC match I could totally see Dolph Ziggler cashing in after that match to make history, but I think the WHC match is a big toss up right now.

[quote name='Scorch']unless UT wins then Ziggler cashes in,[/QUOTE]

pn-news.jpg

[quote name='slidecage']Originally Posted by dkreegz515
Rock is champ for 2 months... think of all the press they will get. and the craziest thoughts i've had.... rock beats punk.... cena wins Rumble, then cena beats rock for title........... then ziggler cashes in... and wins... thats my prediction.

i thought I read somewhere

Rock beats punk

Rock loses belt in chamber match (cena wins) FEB PPV

Triple match

PUNK VS CENA VS ROCK at wrestlemania[/QUOTE]

8.5 years on this site and you can't quote a post correctly? Yeesh.

I just keep hoping that the "injustice" angle from the shield ends up being some sweet ROH invasion angle.... the theory gets stronger with Flair back on tv....

If anyone was wondering about the lines for this year's Royal Rumble.

JRIpfn3.png

Usually a good predictor about what will happen. I know people who are jumping on Punk is initial winner +200. Rock definitely walks away at the end of the night as champion.

Scorch it basically boils down to "We're going to wring some marks' wallets dry because they thought the Generals were due."

[quote name='no_chocobo']I just keep hoping that the "injustice" angle from the shield ends up being some sweet ROH invasion angle.... the theory gets stronger with Flair back on tv....[/QUOTE]

Huh?

PWG loses El Generico but gains Johnny Gargano, Jay Lethal, Trent Barretta, and AR Fox amongst others as well as Drake Younger vs Sami Callahan in Guerrilla Warfare.

I remember Gargano from a Smackdown taping I went to years ago when MVP was beating all the international jobbers. He was still with Cleveland All-Pro at the time and it sounded like the guys sitting in front of him were friends. Good for him for hopping to an indie fed with more exposure.

[quote name='neocisco']Are Gargano and Fox exclusive or are they still working for DGUSA?[/QUOTE]
I assume still with DGUSA, as PWG doesn't really do exclusive contracts. Almost everyone who isn't local is a fly-in; we've got the usuals (Strong, Steen. Bucks, etc) but nothing in stone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back