The Sheamus Appreciation Wrestling Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
That came out a week or two ago. I responded to him saying that since they market to kids, young, impressionable kids, then that's a load of BBQ poop.

[quote name='pitfallharry219']He's definitely in denial.[/QUOTE]
Definitely.

SD thoughts -

It was... a show. Barrett's new finisher rules.

Full thoughts -
I love SD being TV PG and full of goofy shit when right before it, you can watch horror flicks, like The Hills Have Eyes II with a giant evil doer getting his balls smashed in with a sledgehammer and taking an axe to the arm. Then again, RICARDO TOOK A BULLET FOR DEL RIO, so maybe SD is more serious than I'm giving it credit for. Love Ricardo getting a wacky neckbrace, but he should've had his bowtie on over it like Gertner. He can be the Naughty American Studmuffin. Thank God, we're invited to join in the conversation on TWITTER and are free to TOUT IT OUT too. What a giving company WWE is. Del Rio clutching Ricardo's hand to help him into the ring was adorable. I demand Ricardo plushies be made immediately. Tremendous highlight reel on the Brogue kick - really made it seem super-deadly. Josh is fine with Kane being fined...some sort of amount of money after being seriously attacked - what an idiot. YAY, Rey/Cara vs. Miz and Cody...a match I think I've seen a thousand times over the past month.

Aww, a fan has a homemade white and gold Sin Cara mask - awesome. I Miss Lita sign guy is back. I liked Miz yelling at Cody to grab Rey's foot to prevent a tag...and then he didn't do it, but he did hear him say duck and did it. I think Sin Cara was supposed to do the Asai DDT to Cody off the backdrop, and only missed it by 20 miles if that was the goal. LOVED the wheelbarrow bulldog possibly leading to the Finale. Great tornado dive from Sin Cara after that and the splash finish was fine. Zero reason for Kofi and Truth to be tag champs instead of Rey and Sin Cara. Real fun match there, even if Cody looked like a bit of a dope kicking Miz despite Miz clearly being in his path for a good little while. THE WWE APP IS ALL OVER THE CENA-PUNK STORY! Bryan was amazing with Hornswoggle - he can make anything fun.

SD WAS THE MOST SOCIALLY ACTIVE SHOW ON FRIDAY NIGHT BY 300%. Good for them. Otunga calling something "unnatural" is amusing. The NoC poster with Cena and gold is among the corniest ones ever. Loved Otunga's slideshow and him calling Booker Mr. T. Tremendous Bryan-Kane video, even though it really exposed all the weird makeup on Kane's face. The wacky music playing during the video ruled. Bryan quietly pleading with the fans 'no' is amazing. I imagine him going 'sir/madame, I must kindly request that you cease doing that'. Yay, Bryan gets to kill Ryder! I hope Bryan doesn't try to play Zen's Intergalactic Ninja while doing his zen excercises - they won't work very well. Love the hug into the No Lock, and it leading to a DQ since he wouldn't break the hold. Glorious crazed stuff from Bryan afterwards. Hearing Cole call him a great competitor reminded me of how amazing it is that Bryan was able to get over the hump of Cole burying him 6 feet under for years.

Orton gets to face...some dude in the hour 1 main event. Maybe it's the A&8s Armbreaker! Or it could be Sandow since he's coming out. He has something to get "out of his chest", I think he meant "off of his chest". Guess he's not so smart. He was offended by Tweets and Touts...wow. Just him saying that made him seem stupid. Wacky promo, but full of amusing facial expressions. Him saying Einstein wasn't Tweeting or Touting ruled. I liked Orton just blowing off whoever he was going to face before and saying he WANTED to fight Sandow...in the most boring way possible. Dolph calling Sandow's robe ratty ruled. I liked Dolph putting Orton over huge on commentary - made him beating the man seem that much more important. Him saying that Sandow ran to get a new bathrobe was amusing and he was great during his time on the mic. Sandow took the RKO terribly.

Otunga and Booker discussing X rays was about five billion percent less entertaining than Piper and Bob Orton Jr. meeting with a quack on SNME. Way way way too many Da jokes in this, but Otunga angrily grabbing his Thermos leading to Booker staring in amazement at the X rays was amusing. Saturday Morning Slam was the #1 show for kids! LOL at the champs getting an intro to do commentary while the 3 teams in the #1 contender's match got jobber intros. This match was a blast. Lots of a rapid-fire stuff from move to move. Could've done without the heels stealing the win since they need credibility. Especially after Josh brought up the PTPs losing to the champs TWICE already.

Interesting to have them hype Raw up by talking about Bret returning to Montreal. Punk-Cena vid was fine. It's amazing how little you miss just watching Raw in video package for versus watching the whole show. SOCIAL MEDIA IS BLOWING UP DUE TO PUNK AND HEYMAN! According to Cole, both Raw and SD are sinking ships. Wow. Eve's jittery Tout was amusing, but would it kill the company to mandate anyone using Tout to keep the damn camera still. Barrett's new finisher rules. The rest of this new act is much less cool than the vignettes, and it makes no sense to just bring him back out of nowhere instead of just saying last week at the end of the video that the Barrage was coming back this week. More weirdness with the Montreal ad as they're showing the screwjob and I'm getting a feeling that they'll have him try to shake Vince's hand on the show. Booker coming out at the end and banning the Brogue kick was stupid to do DURING the match. Made Booker seem like a jerk, but this should help get the cloverleaf over. Using the Irish Curse as its setup is great, and I like him doing the move out of a Bossman slam position - looks far less careless that way.

Screens -

Depends. I always had a fondness for the heart punch as a finisher (but I don't recall anyone in WWF ever using it). But people had to have the right size/physique for it. Barrett doesn't at all in my mind.

Doesn't help that they used postproduction crowd noise to identify that move as the finish, but didn't re-record the commentary. Matthews seems puzzled that the match just ended. Getting over something like that (or the heart punch, or well, anything, really) as a finisher means really selling it on the commentary. And possibly some overzealous selling by the opponents. Y'know, flipping and writhing and chest clutching and whatnot.

If people can learn to sell it like people sold Bradshaw's (and others) clotheslines, it'll work. I don't know if a short-arm entry into it is a great idea, not enough velocity but off the ropes it could work. Plus it can be done to opponents of any size and it's easy to dodge and work an exciting counter into a match.

[quote name='Tsel']Wade Barrett's new finisher sucks. It's a fucking forearm/elbow to the face/head.[/QUOTE]

Fun Fact: Elbows to the face fuckin' hurt. Also? They hurt to the body, thighs, calves, etc. However, I've only been hit in the face with an elbow. Not even at full force, it's enough to stun someone for three-seconds.

And Masato Tanaka, Toshiaki Kawada, and Mitsuharu Misawa say hi.

Edit: Gave the video a watch. Reminiscent of Kazuchika Okada's Rainmaker finisher. I dig it.

Last edited by a moderator:
RE: Heartpunch in WWF

Crush and Big Bully Busick are the only two I can think of, but I know I'm missing at least one more.

I HATED Wasteland as a finish, at least this could come out of nowhere and be done on just about anyone. He should just use Regal's old arm-whip neckbreaker (The Union Jack)

[quote name='mykevermin']Depends. I always had a fondness for the heart punch as a finisher (but I don't recall anyone in WWF ever using it). But people had to have the right size/physique for it. Barrett doesn't at all in my mind.

Doesn't help that they used postproduction crowd noise to identify that move as the finish, but didn't re-record the commentary. Matthews seems puzzled that the match just ended. Getting over something like that (or the heart punch, or well, anything, really) as a finisher means really selling it on the commentary. And possibly some overzealous selling by the opponents. Y'know, flipping and writhing and chest clutching and whatnot.[/QUOTE]

Evil, ex-con Crush used it for a bit.

[quote name='Dr. Venkman']RE: Heartpunch in WWF

Crush and Big Bully Busick are the only two I can think of, but I know I'm missing at least one more.

I HATED Wasteland as a finish, at least this could come out of nowhere and be done on just about anyone. He should just use Regal's old arm-whip neckbreaker (The Union Jack)[/QUOTE]

Busick used the Stump Puller, one of my personal favorites, I believe.

[quote name='mykevermin']Busick used the Stump Puller, one of my personal favorites, I believe.[/QUOTE]

It was called "The Bully Blaster" but was never used on WWF television, good memory sir.

[quote name='Chase']Fun Fact: Elbows to the face fuckin' hurt. Also? They hurt to the body, thighs, calves, etc. However, I've only been hit in the face with an elbow. Not even at full force, it's enough to stun someone for three-seconds.

Edit: Gave the video a watch. Reminiscent of Kazuchika Okada's Rainmaker finisher. I dig it.[/QUOTE]

Obviously it's going to hurt, but how are we supposed to believe that spend half the match punching and kicking one another and one random elbow finishes it? It could be devastating, but it needs some work right now.

[quote name='Chase']Fun Fact: Elbows to the face fuckin' hurt. Also? They hurt to the body, thighs, calves, etc. However, I've only been hit in the face with an elbow. Not even at full force, it's enough to stun someone for three-seconds.

Edit: Gave the video a watch. Reminiscent of Kazuchika Okada's Rainmaker finisher. I dig it.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I'd take at least a dozen other finishers legit before I'd take an elbow to the face/head.

I came to post about ex-con Crush doing the heart punch, and you all already beat me to the [heart] punch.

[said as Cartman] I love you guys.

@renique46: That's excellent. If I intended to play any modern WWE games, I'd definitely add him to the roster.

If I am not mistaken, even though it wasn't in WWE, The Undertaker, playing the character known as Mean Mark Callous in WcW used the heart punch until it was outlawed.

At least I could swear it was him. It has been like what, 20 years or more now?

I really don't like the modern WWE style of wrestling, so many punches and kicks. I know they are trying to make it more like a "real" fight and also similar to MMA but its not MMA its fucking pro wrestling I tune in to see moves. It's to the point now where I borderline mark out whenever I see someone do a bodyslam or a vertical suplex.

[quote name='cgarb84']I really don't like the modern WWE style of wrestling, so many punches and kicks. I know they are trying to make it more like a "real" fight and also similar to MMA but its not MMA its fucking pro wrestling I tune in to see moves. It's to the point now where I borderline mark out whenever I see someone do a bodyslam or a vertical suplex.[/QUOTE]

I think the pace is something, too. Because of tv time, we're force fed a litany of moves at such a rapid pace that there's little time for a competitive event to unravel before our eyes.

I feel like modern wrestling is fast food, and I'm that crazy eccentric dude in the background trying to get us to go back to the "slow food" movement.

[quote name='neocisco']Agreed. I'd take at least a dozen other finishers legit before I'd take an elbow to the face/head.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps an arrow to the knee?

Maybe they're doing something in regards to the elbow injury, like he had an adamantium plate put in there, like they did with Luger back in 1993.

[quote name='mykevermin']I think the pace is something, too. Because of tv time, we're force fed a litany of moves at such a rapid pace that there's little time for a competitive event to unravel before our eyes.

I feel like modern wrestling is fast food, and I'm that crazy eccentric dude in the background trying to get us to go back to the "slow food" movement.[/QUOTE]

WWE is definitely fast food.

I'm gonna assume most people who post in this thread, regulars and interlopers, mostly watch WWE and have only been a fan of WWE. I have no idea how much control Vince and Co. have over their ring-style. But, I do remember WWE road agents chastising wrasslers for working outside of the paint-by-numbers style. WCW always had a better in-ring product. Even people like Super Calo and Alex Wright could outwork people like Randy Orton and Kofi Kingston. WWE's ring-style is the embodiment of "same old shit."

Japan is in a hard downcycle, but, when I find time to watch their shit, their matches never cease to entertain. And as someone who perpetually shit on them for the last few years, TNA has been more than just competent. They've actually been pretty good. Rob Van Dam and Bully Ray put on one heck of a match for free TV. We rarely see a big match move finish on free WWE TV.

[quote name='Spyder187']If I am not mistaken, even though it wasn't in WWE, The Undertaker, playing the character known as Mean Mark Callous in WcW used the heart punch until it was outlawed.

At least I could swear it was him. It has been like what, 20 years or more now?[/QUOTE]

You are correct. Very short clip of the future Undertaker doing the heart punch from a horrible angle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0M8hOlmsxk

Oh and holy fuck, look at this lineup in this ring(shitty quality btw). You have Teddy Long, Jim Cornette, the future Undertaker and.....Paul E. with fuckin' HAIR still on his head.:shock:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AJjkwlroeI

Is it weird if I'm nostalgic for the old WCW ring announcers starting off with "The following contest is scheduled for one fall with a 15 minute/10 minute/television time limit" introduction? I feel like little touches like that made the match feel more important.

Yeah. I kind of miss the announcing like they did in WCW and some of the older promotions that're no longer around. At least when/if they announced there was a time limit AND it was actually for a major title that made it seem all the more urgent that the person fighting for it really try to 'win'. Of course, this was in the days BEFORE it was revealed that the finish of the match was predetermined and you actually thought either party could win in a title match.

What I would like to see, but will likely never ever happen is if WWE were to revive the Clash Of The Champions program on free tv. I know it'll never happen because WWE is all about the PPV money anymore, but it'd be interesting to see how badly they may botch the resurrection of the show. More than likely every match would end in a DQ or count out rather than give away a PPV quality match for free.

It's hard to take Barrett's finisher seriously when Cesaro has the Very European Uppercut as a set-up to a finisher.

[quote name='ced']It's hard to take Barrett's finisher seriously.when Cesaro has the Very European Uppercut as a set-up to a finisher.[/QUOTE]

Fixed that for ya.

Barrett's a classic case of people (WWE Management) confusing confidence with charisma.

If he weren't English, he wouldn't be on T.V.

Raven on his WWF return in 2000:

I get hired by JR. He says he can’t give me a big downside because I’d just got clean. Unfortunately, Vince McMahon hated me. Michael Hayes told me Vince had said “Who the fuck hired Johnny Polo?”

[quote name='mykevermin']Yoshi Tatsu has the worst goddamn music almost ever.[/QUOTE]

CHALLENGE!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MmSM57MA6ok

I'd like that elbow more if he brought the other guy back in with some speed, he just kinda casually spun Yoshi there.

Also - this is version 2 of this theme, let's see if they hit 45 versions like End of Days. This one appears to have had the chorus stripped out entirely.

Found another cool Youtube channel. Random WWF, but mostly mid 70's to mid 80's, including debuts of a few characters that lasted just weeks before being scrapped - Mighty Joe Thunder, White Angel, Polish Prince (aka Col Debeers). Also has Superstar Graham's return with the weird karate gimmick in '82 (against a pre-Horowitz Barry), a ton of Monsoon/Heenan on Prime Time clips, a Backlund/Moondog match where the fans all jump in the ring after, which is pretty crazy looking. And Piper's first WWF TV appearance from 1979, although the match is cut off shortly after it begins.

Oh, and Repo Man in his short-lived full head mask. Smash looks to be gettin' a little fat there.

The more I see Joe McHugh the further I'm convinced he's easily the second best ring announcer they've ever had behind Finkel. He's the older dude who does most of the All-Star Wrestling ring duties.

http://www.youtube.com/user/rland19871/videos

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='KaneRobot']Found another cool Youtube channel. Random WWF, but mostly mid 70's to mid 80's, including debuts of a few characters that lasted just weeks before being scrapped - Mighty Joe Thunder, White Angel, Polish Prince (aka Col Debeers). Also has Superstar Graham's return with the weird karate gimmick in '82 (against a pre-Horowitz Barry), a ton of Monsoon/Heenan on Prime Time clips, a Backlund/Moondog match where the fans all jump in the ring after, which is pretty crazy looking. And Piper's first WWF TV appearance from 1979, although the match is cut off shortly after it begins.

Oh, and Repo Man in his short-lived full head mask. Smash looks to be gettin' a little fat there.

The more I see Joe McHugh the further I'm convinced he's easily the second best ring announcer they've ever had behind Finkel. He's the older dude who does most of the All-Star Wrestling ring duties.

http://www.youtube.com/user/rland19871/videos[/QUOTE]

I randomly clicked WWWF All Star Wrestling Part 04 1976 for no reason. Louie Cyr just lies there the whole match keeping DeNucci in a head scissors the for literally half of the match. The crowd barely reacts. I understand sometimes there are rest holds, or sometimes holds are used to slow down the action to rebuild the momentum for the face/get the heel some heat... But this just seemed like "fuck it, I'm going to lay on my side for 5 minutes." There's so little action during those parts I feel like Vince got bored on the commentary and had to plug other shit during the match to fill the air space. If only he knew that's what he'd turn non-main event matches into four decades later! But back to the match - spoiler alert - it ends as a time limit draw! I'm sure people will be chomping at the bit to see these two rematch for more laying head scissor holds! What a main event! Some might not like what wrestling has become in this modern era, but I'm glad its evolved past matches like that one... except for Vintage Orton Chinlocks.

Thanks for that YT channel, KaneRobot. I never knew that Patterson hosted a interview segment. Pretty awesome. All you had to do to be a heel back then was be Quebecois. Nice.

WWE '13 interview time:

Attitude Era mode, chants/arena size, spectacular moments, special referee, create an arena (in that order)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3bLZDwksixg&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WLabbhpCyik&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=avypO6quxHU&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rOEcHCUMDS8&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NdZ8i3dFM2g&feature=plcp

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back