The Star Trek III (Back from the Dead) Thread

[quote name='ananag112']Startrek.com is supposedly being shut down :([/quote]

Where did you hear that? That would suck. Although, I use Memory Alpha the most for my Trek info.

BTW, I have been watching a lot of Voyager lately and it is a lot better than I remembered. I'm really getting into it. I even downloaded some episodes on Live Marketplace.

[quote name='ananag112']Startrek.com is supposedly being shut down :([/QUOTE]

yea and I heard starwars.com was supposedly being shut down :(

pfff.... where did you hear that crap from?

I seriously doubt startrek.com is shutting down. With a new movie out next year and TOS HD on the air (whenever my local station decides to freaking put it on :( ) who knows... if the movie is *successful* paramount might just give it another shot with a new series. If the movie tanks, I say by 2010 no one will care for Trek anymore.

Startrek.com isn't being shut down, but CBS fired their entire staff. There's a post about it on their news, at least there was.

[quote name='lordwow']Startrek.com isn't being shut down, but CBS fired their entire staff. There's a post about it on their news, at least there was.[/QUOTE]

er?

This wouldn't happen to be related to the writers strike would it? I doubt it.

No it's not related to the writer's strike, since that only covers TV.
I guess CBS want to change the Star Trek website, which is too bad because it's a really good site, easily one of the best official websites I've ever seen.

[quote name='Kaijufan']No it's not related to the writer's strike, since that only covers TV.
I guess CBS want to change the Star Trek website, which is too bad because it's a really good site, easily one of the best official websites I've ever seen.[/QUOTE]

yea I liked the site too.. it was nicely made up and free...vs the starwars.com stuff which they MAKE you pay for the good stuff :(. Damn, I was really hoping for a teaser trailer for the new star trek movie, even though it's still a year out.

[quote name='lordwow']The Star Trek teaser will be attached to JJ Abrams' Cloverfield coming out this Friday (1/18)[/QUOTE]

So it is confirmed that it will be attached to Cloverfield?

Trekmovie.com said it will be online next Monday. Comingsoon.net, trekweb.com, aintitcoolnews.com nor startrek.com hasn't reported anything yet. Lets hope my theater gets the trailer as not all theaters get the same trailers. :|

[quote name='ananag112']Man, I hope this is leaked. I don't think I can wait until Friday for it.[/QUOTE]

Prey that we actually get new footage, not just music and a star field with the star trek title on it.

So that's it? it's just going to be called "STAR TREK" , not anything like "Star Trek: Beginnings" or something?

[quote name='ITDEFX']Prey that we actually get new footage, not just music and a star field with the star trek title on it.

So that's it? it's just going to be called "STAR TREK" , not anything like "Star Trek: Beginnings" or something?[/QUOTE]

At this point, I don't care what its called. I just want some new Star Trek stuff to keep in going and to perhaps start a new TV series.

Which brings me to my next question, what would you want the next Star Trek series to be about? On the GameFaqs Star Trek board, it was suggested that perhaps there could be a series which takes place on Timeship Relativity where members must travel back and forth trough time and perhaps visit other times of other Star Trek series. Or perhaps something about the Temporal Cold War. I thought this was an interesting idea and wanted to know what you guys thought.

A prequal tv series didn't work, why they think a prequal movie will is beyond me. There is only 1 Kirk and it's the Shatman.

[quote name='ananag112']At this point, I don't care what its called. I just want some new Star Trek stuff to keep in going and to perhaps start a new TV series.

Which brings me to my next question, what would you want the next Star Trek series to be about? On the GameFaqs Star Trek board, it was suggested that perhaps there could be a series which takes place on Timeship Relativity where members must travel back and forth trough time and perhaps visit other times of other Star Trek series. Or perhaps something about the Temporal Cold War. I thought this was an interesting idea and wanted to know what you guys thought.[/QUOTE]

Strangely enough I think we will get just that, classic star trek music, a moving star field, the starfleet logo with the classic Star Trek title. Coming Stardate 12.28.08.

Stuff like this has happened before.

Anyways my idea for a next star trek series to be honest would have been a series based on Riker's adventures as Captain of the USS Titan. If Nemesis wasn't so sloppy and it didn't went against the juggernaut known as the LOTR Series, then maybe it would have gotten a chance for a new series in late 2003. I know there are books on the Titan series, but it's not the same as watching it on the tv screen. Seriously it would have been great to see this advanced ship with Riker, Troi (or Mrs. Riker), Tuvok and Wesley. It's too bad it never came to light nor even a cameo of the Titan in Nemesis :(

A college buddy of mine said he thought a new series with a new ship/crew every episode/season would have been great...but I countered that idea with "Unless Paramount/CBS has tons of money to burn, the budget for such a series would put them in the red by the end of season 1."

It's also too bad that the adventures of Captain Sulu never came to light either as I know George Takei expressed a strong desire to have a series based on the adventures of the Excelsior and her crew after Star Trek 6 was a hit.

They should have had the guy who plays Hiro on Heroes play Sulu in the new movie, would have been cool, since George Takei is his dad on the show.

[quote name='anomynous']They should have had the guy who plays Hiro on Heroes play Sulu in the new movie, would have been cool, since George Takei is his dad on the show.[/QUOTE]

ACK, and I just sold my HD-DVD copy of Heroes :O

I'm watching the 2 mirror universe episodes of enterprise on sci-fi right now. They should make a series like this, with the federation as the bad guys. Would be a complete role reversal and really turn the franchise on it's head.

[quote name='JolietJake']I'm watching the 2 mirror universe episodes of enterprise on sci-fi right now. They should make a series like this, with the federation as the bad guys. Would be a complete role reversal and really turn the franchise on it's head.[/QUOTE]

awww I was watching Terminator.... oh well there is always the dvd.

[quote name='lordwow']I never understood the direction they were taking with that game. "More casual" "More casual" every freaking month. Did they not see what happened to Star Wars Galaxies?

Having a "casual" Star Trek game has never worked.[/QUOTE]

Star Trek: Online has so much potential, but with 40+years of tv history spanning centuries of a future yet to come, I can see things becoming very difficult as time goes on. Online games are prone to hacking, exploiting, griefing and so.

Star Wars Galaxies had a good start during it's first year but after they added jedi's and it's stupid requirements, then throwing the whole rule book out the window, everything fell apart. The combat system was great til they did the revamp of the entire system. I personally was once a TKM/Master Doctor/MRM. That was a killer combo as I could buff myself, heal myself, kick butt with my kung fu skills and snipe Jawa's from a distance :p. Now because of the CU, I was reduced to a mid ranged TKA, no doc, no rifle :( Becoming a master pilot was no longer fun because the grind was crazy so I only made it to 4/4/4/3.
Being a businessman (master tailor :p) was pretty cool for awhile til business got slow and I couldn't keep up, then it was like every other person had an alt account to grind faster.

Anyways...There is no way to prevent people from trashing a great game, it's gonna happen... I have no idea how WoW is still up and running these days.

[quote name='ananag112']At this point, I don't care what its called. I just want some new Star Trek stuff to keep in going and to perhaps start a new TV series.

Which brings me to my next question, what would you want the next Star Trek series to be about? On the GameFaqs Star Trek board, it was suggested that perhaps there could be a series which takes place on Timeship Relativity where members must travel back and forth trough time and perhaps visit other times of other Star Trek series. Or perhaps something about the Temporal Cold War. I thought this was an interesting idea and wanted to know what you guys thought.[/quote]

Oh, JourneyTrek.

(No offense to Journeyman, one of my favorite new series which sadly died young).

I don't think it would work. Time travel is too confusing -- even among the writers and episodes of Trek, it's not consistent how it works. I personally love time travel stories, but virtually every time I try to talk about them with someone who is not an ubergeek, they get confused. Hell, I had to explain 12 Monkeys to a bunch of people because they just did not get it, and they were all engineers. You'd lose the casual audience. As much as I loved Journeyman and as much as I think they got the time travel thing exactly right, I think too many people couldn't follow it easily enough.

Not that I think that Star Trek should be catered to the casual audience. I think that's been the problem with Trek for far too long. The whole ideas of bottle shows and reset buttons and keeping characters in a virtual stasis are for the viewer who doesn't religiously tune in every week and can't tell you the difference between a Borg and a Breen. But it's that, more than anything else, that has brought Star Trek to where it is now.

I also don't think the future is in reusing crew members from earlier series. How do you tell new stories with old characters? How do you decide what baggage from the past to bring along, and what to leave behind? Except for Enterprise, all the recent Trek series had seven years to develop their characters. What more about them needs to be said?

Star Trek needs to decide what kind of show it wants to be before anything else, including what the setting or story should be. I think it should strive for something that takes the best parts of TNG and DS9, but even that's not going to be easy.

DS9 was forced to become what it was because the station never went anywhere. That meant they had to develop the characters and the political situations more than in any other series, and they couldn't easily fall back on forehead aliens of the week, or strange new planets. It's something to note that, for the most part, when DS9 did that, it sucked.

TNG, though, is the gold standard. I think it's what people think of most fondly when they think of modern Trek. Some of this is nostagia, but it's hard to deny that TNG had the essential magic of Star Trek.

Fusing the concepts of these two series in the wrong way is disasterous -- witness Voyager, or the worst of both worlds. Aimless and clueless, hurtling from one spatial anomaly to the next without bothering to do anything with its characters. Voyager delivered more of the same bland science fiction lite, each week, never daring much but never achieving much, either, and that is the problem.

We don't need more TNG. While the presence of Star Trek on the airwaves is comforting, we really don't need another series that looks and feels the same, that tells the same tired stories in the same tired ways. We've seen them, and we can see them anytime on DVD.

Enterprise failed because it didn't know what it wanted to be until it was too late. After two seasons of business as usual, with forehead aliens and marooned shuttlecrafts and weird spatial anomalies, people checked out.

People will check back in for new Trek because it's been awhile, but if it seems like warmed over old Trek, they'll check right back out.

Star Trek also faces another dilemma: people want Trek for the familiarity of Klingons and Vulcans and Borg. But, as much as it pains me to say this, they are played out. Going back to the trough so many times has left us with whiny, emotional Vulcans (Enterprise), eviscerated, emasculated Borg (TNG/VOY) and endless jokes about gakh.

Trek is going to have to find a brave new world, with new races of aliens that will be as cool as the Borg used to be, way back when. That has the courage to give people something worth seeing, instead of what they say they want to see. Because if the new Trek is carefully triangulated from elements of the old that people clamor for, what we'll end up getting is like a political candidate: slick, initially appealing, and exciting for a moment, but empty on the inside and boring once it starts talking.

Man, playing Mass Effect makes me think about what a modern day Star Trek RPG would be like. I hope EA gets the Star Trek license and gives it to Bioware to develop a kick ass Star Trek RPG similar to Mass Effect. That would be kick ass. This old SNES Star Trek game I had based on TNG was probably the most similar thing to that.

Also, the next Star Trek series should just get rid of all the other races by just saying they are all a part of the federation now and not make them really stand out. The Borg should pretty much be wiped out in the next series as they got the new tech from Future Janeway on Voyager and this tech was probably studied by the Federation and improved upon.

That teaser trailer does sound pretty cool. I figured it would pretty much just be the Star Trek logo with Christmas 08 under it.

[quote name='Kaijufan']That teaser trailer does sound pretty cool. I figured it would pretty much just be the Star Trek logo with Christmas 08 under it.[/QUOTE]

That's what I thought too for a very long time since this was a teaser, but now I know we will actually see something fresh.

[quote name='ITDEFX']Holy freaking shit!!!

http://www.aolcdn.com/aolmovies/star-trek-uss-enterprise-full[/QUOTE]

Cause the link is slow (for me at least):

USS Enterprise:
star-trek-uss-enterprise-full.jpg

I wonder if Kirk and crew will make references to Archer and the rest of the NX-01 crew. Or maybe they will pretend that it never happened?

[quote name='ananag112']I wonder if Kirk and crew will make references to Archer and the rest of the NX-01 crew. Or maybe they will pretend that it never happened?[/QUOTE]

This may not be cannon, but according to that link I posted, Archer lives to see the launching of the 1701, then dies the next day. Now that would be interesting if Archer did a cameo like that.

[quote name='ITDEFX']This may not be cannon, but according to that link I posted, Archer lives to see the launching of the 1701, then dies the next day. Now that would be interesting if Archer did a cameo like that.[/QUOTE]
Then we'll have to look out for news of Scott Bakula being in the movie.......

[quote name='anomynous']Then we'll have to look out for news of Scott Bakula being in the movie.......[/QUOTE]

Love Scott Bakula

bread's done
Back