The state of men's fashion

rabbitt

CAGiversary!
Feedback
7 (100%)
Here's a quick rant:

My girlfriend goes shopping often, and so I find that I too spend many hours in various malls (a bit more than I'd like to, admittedly). However, I make the best of our frequent shopping escapades by looking for stuff that I might wear while she tries on shirts, jeans, and shoes, all of which are plentiful and varied. This brings me to the topic at hand: the state of men's fashion.

Subject 001: The polo

Specifically, the popped collar, though that's for another day.

2007_9_pink.jpg

Polo's do not look good and their is virtually no difference between different brands, aside from a color switch and possibly a different wild animal on the breast. This is not my opinion, it is a fact of life. The polo is the attire of a douchebag.

It should come as no surprise that most stores cater to the female design. Anyone who's ever been to a mall could easily tell you that. And it makes sense: women love to shop, so why not target the best customer? I can't blame a business for making the most money it possibly can.

I decided that my closet was filled with enough "graphic tees" and that I needed a variety of nice clothing (treading the line between formal and casual). Apparently, this is asking a lot, because most large-scale stores like Sears and JC Penney are stocked with shit for men's clothing and the smaller stores are either exclusively female or overwhelmingly-so that the men's section is a corner at the back of the shop.

Subject 002: The oversized white shirt:

baggywhitetee.jpg

Nothing screams "I don't even try" like the oversized white t-shirt. Popular as ever, this reassures most clothing businesses that the bulk of men just don't give a fuck about what they wear.

And here's the one-two punch that I know you all are familiar with:

Subject 003: the straight bill cap

at_el_ring_dr_black1.jpg

Coupling the straight bill hat with Subject 002 has been known to bring some people to their knees in agony. I may be one of those people.

Now, if these trends in male fashion were actually isolated events, I might simply brush them off of my shoulder. However, this is not the case. It's gotten to the point where I'm struggling to find decent-looking clothes. I have trouble finding acceptable shirts amongst a sea of Mark Ecko and Rocawear brands or preppy Abercrombie polos. I can only wear so many band t-shirts.

What happened to nice men's clothes?

430019421_b18f53b9f8.jpg

I've always liked skate stuff.

Shoes are big and comfy, shirts have visually pleasing designs on them. Corduroy pants and a nice plaid button up.

There's nothing wrong with polos as long as they're used and have an interesting pattern, I prefer the Hunter S. Thompson style of polo. Some good clothes can be found at the goodwill, thrift store, or army surplus store. Or you could just make your own clothes!

just what makes you think polos are douchebag attire? i think i look pretty good in a polo. a lot of guys i know have polo shirts. does that automatically make us all douchebags?

i disagree with your "fact of life."

[quote name='psychofish']just what makes you think polos are douchebag attire? i think i look pretty good in a polo. a lot of guys i know have polo shirts. does that automatically make us all douchebags?

i disagree with your "fact of life."[/QUOTE]
Yes.

I've seen the contract they make you sign before you can buy a polo.

Also, his facts were that polo shirts don't vary.

i'm wearing a pink polo right now. man i must be extra douchebaggy.

i wear it because i've had girls compliment me on it. so there.

Number two is what should be referred to as "Tall Tees" or "Hilarious".

But really who cares.. here in California no one gives a shit if you're wearing leather and straps from Hot Topic, the latest all over print over sized hoodie, or a polo with cargo shorts and flip flops - we all get along. Its cause we're all so ridiculously high all the time.

I will say a pet peeve of mine is how some men's clothing is getting too feminine.
serve.asp

That v-neck is waaaaaaay too low.

Find a TJMaxx man. A good TJMaxx. Go in there once every two weeks, since their inventory cycles, and you can find some good stuff. The only thing is you need to know what labels make crap. Once you get a feel for what you like its easy.

Its good that the state of mens fashion is inundated with such crap, it makes you easier to stand out. If you have an attire that is classic with some modern touches it sets you apart. I wear Express Fashion dress shirts, not 1mx... Express Fashion. They are fitted, and the collars are bold and different. Mix it up with some slim fit boot cut jeans, if you can sport them (I prefer Guess Falcon), and a nice pair of dress shoes (found off of Zappos, free overnight shipping and returns) and you have a classic look with a modern touch. Mix it up with a more casual blazer that goes good with jeans and you are set. Avoid boxiness in shirts, and blazers. And jeans are difficult. You need to find the fit, and company that best fits you. Most people just do not put effort into their jeans, and they just look sloopy.

Get a magazine like GQ and look at the modern styles. The clothes in their cost too much, but you can always find a cheaper alternative.

Also give the oversized T a pass, or Bubbles' "Whitey Sale" wouldn't be in business.

Also Banana Republic consistently makes damn good 3/4 Peacoats or Topcoats that are absolutely amazing. They cost between 250.00/350.00 but consistently trump most coats triple that cost. Also, Outlet Malls, hit at the right time are a godsend.

I've always kinda hated those baggy jeans with straps all over them. That and men wearing women's jeans still kinda scars me, last thing I want to tell from pants those tight is someone's religion.

you know, I really hate the collar "popped" looked. It really makes me want to kill people. I don't know why. Just cause.

[quote name='scsg75']you know, I really hate the collar "popped" looked. It really makes me want to kill people. I don't know why. Just cause.[/quote]

This should serve as a warning to all those considering wearing a polo tomorrow. Scsg75 will kill you.

Polos are a really safe form of clothing since its a little casual or a little formal with its collar. Its versatile depending on what you wear on the bottom. The douche baggery comes with popping the collar. That and if you wear two polo shirts at the sametime and pop the collars you are quite a douche +10

I agree with the oversized shirt rant. Its gross, maybe they'll grow into it someday.

Pink can be worn by some straight dudes. Its a bold look and you have to be confident to carry it.

I am not sure of the retail options in OH, but i guess you have to work harder to find the style you want. Maybe check thrift stores and swapmeets in your area? Thats where this old looks show up from time to time over here in ca

[quote name='nesfan8222']Pink can be worn by some straight dudes. Its a bold look and you have to be confident to carry it.[/quote]
I wear pink all the time. You know why? I look god-damned good in it, that's why.

OP, shop around. DON'T just look at JC Penny's. Get some nice button downs with a pattern, a sport jacket and something other than sneakers. Wear a belt, that matches. Seriously, fashion isn't hard. Everything goes with khaki.

You guys should try out Ross, really cheap prices. I myself love collared shirts especially Izods. They're friggin awesome and there are a lot of expensive brands for cheap. I go there once and a while. Though I agree people look like douches when they pop their collars.

I think part of the problem is the stigma that if you take the time to dress nicely or put something that looks good together, you're gay or feminine. It doesn't come as much of a surprise to me that guys don't dress better. Even if you're strong-willed enough to think, "Eh, I don't give a fuck what they think," you'll soon come to a point of seeing douches dressed like a few of the examples above and just give up.

That said, I wear what I wear 'cause I'm comfortable with it. Banana Republic does have some great casual to formal wear that I highly recommend. If you want something a bit less pricey, Express gets great stuff as well and even cheaper stuff (but with great fit and style) can be found at H&M.

[quote name='cindersphere']Just an interesting fact, up until about 40's pink was mans color. Blues was for girls.[/quote]

Who are you, Mr Pink? :D

[quote name='Ikohn4ever']i wonder how many guys who where polo shirt have actually played polo?[/quote]

Does Marco Polo count?

And I agree with the comments about the collars on polos, keep it down damnit. And yes, Khakis go with anything.

Also Rabbitt, give Steve and Barry's a try. Fairly good prices and a lot of nicer clothing, plus she can look while you look.

Compromising, helping relationships since the beginning of time.

[quote name='cindersphere']Just an interesting fact, up until about 40's pink was mans color. Blues was for girls.[/QUOTE]

That's about the time the gheys strolled into town.

Bur seriously, it's just the popped collars that make guys look like a douche. Personally, I'd feel pretty ridiculous wearing pink or any other light color (baby blues, greens, whatever).

Tell me I'm wearing an outfit, and I'll never put those clothes on again.

Threadless/woot and cargo pants.
My gf wears threadless/woot and jeans.

Men and women's fashion solved.

Anyway, if you want to wear a trench coat and fedora then go for it.

[quote name='CouRageouS']I concur. Polos aren't a problem, its the popped collar that equals douche. Go ahead and murder as you see fit.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Bloodbooger']That's about the time the gheys strolled into town.

Bur seriously, it's just the popped collars that make guys look like a douche. Personally, I'd feel pretty ridiculous wearing pink or any other light color (baby blues, greens, whatever).

Tell me I'm wearing an outfit, and I'll never put those clothes on again.[/QUOTE]

Yes, this. SO this. Polos can look nice. I don't think polos are FASHION. I just think they are NICE clothes. Meaning you don't really look all preppy or professional.. you just look nice and casual.

FASHION is going for a certain look. Right now, some of those looks include wearin an ugly hat with your v-neck tshirt, jeans 20 sizes too small with a queer like scarf---EVEN THOUGH IT'S SUMMER!. That kind of stuff is fashion. Looking nice isn't necessarily fashion.

OP, if wearing a polo bothers you (which is fine as it's your opinion) what exactly do you find appropriate to wear? You pointed out polos and those long ass tshirts, which BTW are going to be worn by 2 different types of people.

I wear polos and button sleeve shirts and jeans and, if I have to, khakis. I loathe khakis with a passion and I don't know why :lol: I think I look nice. Not fashionable, but not a slop.

Oh and BTW, pink isn't really that gay. HOT pink is kinda gay, IMO. But a generic pink polo is OK. I think tight pink tshirts (regardless of shade) IS kinda gay too.

[quote name='lilboo']jeans 20 sizes too small with a queer like scarf---EVEN THOUGH IT'S SUMMER![/quote]
What did dallow ever do to you? :/

Nothing wrong with polo shirts (as long as you're not wearing the fucking collar popped up.

Make for nice, comfortable business casual attire.

You'll see some day when you grow up and have a real job vs. working at the mall or flipping burgers (if you work at all) and going home to mommy's basement.

[quote name='JolietJake']Polo shirts looking generic can be a good thing, the cheap ones don't look much different than expensive ones.[/QUOTE]

This.

Again, to the people whom are against polo shirts (again, it's your opinion so it's all good) what exactly would you wear? I am very much a tshirt/jeans kinda guy myself, but I'm talking about when you go out? Not like.. going out to hang out with some friends..but if you go out to say... a party? a date? a bar? a club? Just curious, really.

[quote name='Rocko']What did dallow ever do to you? :/[/QUOTE]

:rofl: :applause:

Polos are essential for looking somewhat nice at a bar/date/work meeting/etc.

But you never pop the collar.

For everything else, I'm more of a jeans and tshirt kind of guy. Jeans have to be boot cut because I hate when it looks like I have stick legs. And the t-shirts have to have a certain cut too. If they're below my butt, that's too long and looks stupid. Lastly, I'm not a big fan of shorts. It's just a personal thing and I only own like...2 pairs I think.

[quote name='lilboo']This.

Again, to the people whom are against polo shirts (again, it's your opinion so it's all good) what exactly would you wear? I am very much a tshirt/jeans kinda guy myself, but I'm talking about when you go out? Not like.. going out to hang out with some friends..but if you go out to say... a party? a date? a bar? a club? Just curious, really.
[/QUOTE]
A zoot-suit and an oversized gold pocket watch. You know, to swing around.

[quote name='strayfoxx']Find a TJMaxx man. A good TJMaxx. Go in there once every two weeks, since their inventory cycles, and you can find some good stuff. The only thing is you need to know what labels make crap. Once you get a feel for what you like its easy.

Its good that the state of mens fashion is inundated with such crap, it makes you easier to stand out. If you have an attire that is classic with some modern touches it sets you apart.[/quote]

I never thought of it like that. This definitely changes my mentality a bit.

I wear Express Fashion dress shirts, not 1mx... Express Fashion. They are fitted, and the collars are bold and different. Mix it up with some slim fit boot cut jeans, if you can sport them (I prefer Guess Falcon), and a nice pair of dress shoes (found off of Zappos, free overnight shipping and returns) and you have a classic look with a modern touch. Mix it up with a more casual blazer that goes good with jeans and you are set. Avoid boxiness in shirts, and blazers. And jeans are difficult. You need to find the fit, and company that best fits you. Most people just do not put effort into their jeans, and they just look sloopy.

If I'm thinking of the same Express, then their prices are a tad out of my range. I like almost everything I see in the men's section, but $88 for a vest is too much for me. If they ever did clearance, I'd be all over that store though.

Get a magazine like GQ and look at the modern styles. The clothes in their cost too much, but you can always find a cheaper alternative.

Also give the oversized T a pass, or Bubbles' "Whitey Sale" wouldn't be in business.

Also Banana Republic consistently makes damn good 3/4 Peacoats or Topcoats that are absolutely amazing. They cost between 250.00/350.00 but consistently trump most coats triple that cost. Also, Outlet Malls, hit at the right time are a godsend.

Thanks for all of the advice. I'm going to keep all of this in mind the next time I'm out and about.

I despise all that feminine hipster trash that everybody in California seems to be sporting now. fuck American Apparel.

nothing wrong with polo shirts.

the only article of clothing that a man should absolutely not wear are jean shorts. i'm sure they'll come back in the future though :lol:

[quote name='JMEPO']There is only one good excuse to wear a pink shirt and thats if your gay. Or drunk. Or both.[/quote]

What if it's a black dress shirt with pink and purple accents?

... :oops:

Fat guys in a tank top, and skinny guys in a tank top

The only thing worse than a guy too fat to wear a tank top is the guy who is too skinny. I don't give a fuck HOW hot it is.

[quote name='chasemurata']What if it's a black dress shirt with pink and purple accents?

... :oops:[/quote]

Are you Prince?

[quote name='tehweezner']
the only article of clothing that a man should absolutely not wear are jean shorts. i'm sure they'll come back in the future though :lol:[/QUOTE]

I quite like jean shorts, thank you very much!

Oh, and I don't particularly like zip-off pants. The zip-off part is horizontal and segments a person into... segments.

bread's done
Back