The Steam Deals + Cards Thread V8 ~ Summer Sale Encore Day! | Rage $4.99 | Retro City Rampage $2.99 | Crysis $5.99 | Endless Space $10.19 |

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNinjaSquirrel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
It had to be done, welcome aboard the new thread, Steam Deal Thread V8!

You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Disclaimer: Because of the ridiculous number of games on sale and the speed at which sales change, it is likely I will not be able to catch everything . Be sure to check the update time for the OP, and visit the Specials Tab to see all current sales. If you see something not listed in the OP, please feel free to PM me and I will see that it is added. Thanks, enjoy the sale  :D

Before you buy anything be sure to check out both BigSpoonyBard's Super Tips for Steam Sale Newbies (and Vets) and jshackle's Enhanced Steam Extension/Plugin for Chrome/Opera/Firefox!

Steam Summer Sale

Flash Deals

[*]Retro City Rampage - $14.99 $3.00
[*]Endless Space Gold - $34.99 $11.89[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Total War Grand Master Collection - $164.99 $41.24[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Rome: Total War - $9.99 $2.49
[*]Empire: Total War - $14.99 $3.74

[*]Napoleon: Total War - $14.99 $3.74

[*]Total War: SHOGUN 2 - $29.99 $7.49

[*]Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai - $29.99 $7.49

[*]Viking: Battle for Asgard - $14.99 $3.74
[*]Total War Battles: SHOGUN - $4.99 $1.24
[*]SHOGUN 2: Rise of the Samurai Campaign - $9.99 $2.49[/customspoiler]

Expired

Community Choice

• Rage - $19.99 $4.99
Expired 

[*]​Round 2

[*]​Round 3

[*]​Rounds 4

[*]Round 5

[*]​Round 6

[*]​Round 7

[*]Round 8

[*]Round 9​

[*]Round 10

[*]Round 11

[*]​Round 12

[*]Round 13

[*]Round 14

[*]Round 15

[*]Round 16

[*]Round 17

[*]Round 18

[*]Round 19

[*]Round 20

[*]Round 21

[*]​Round 22

[*]Round 23

[*]Round 24

[*]​Round 25

[*]​Round 26

[*]​Round 27

[*]Round 28

[*]Round 29

[*]Round 30

[*]​Round 31

[*]Round 32

​​

Daily Deals

[*]Borderlands 2 - $39.99 $10.19 (4-Pack - $89.99 $30.59)[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Bioshock - $19.99 $4.99
[*]Bioshock 2 - $19.99 $4.99
[*]Bioshock Infinite - $59.99 $29.99
[*]Torchlight - $14.99 $3.73
[*]Torchlight 2 - $19.99 $4.99 (4-Pack - $59.99 $14.99)
[*]Sid Meier's Civilization® III Complete - $4.99 $1.24
[*]Sid Meier's Civilization IV: The Complete Edition - $29.99 $7.49[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Colonization - $19.99 $4.99[/customspoiler]

[*]Sid Meier's Civilization V: Gold Edition - $49.99 $24.99[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Tomb Raider Collection - $69.99 $17.49[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]The Walking Dead - $24.99 $6.24
[*]Kerbal Space Program - $22.99 $13.79
[*]Dishonored - $29.99 $10.19[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Skyrim: Legendary Edition - $59.99 $36.00[customspoiler='Contents']

Yesterday's Deals

[*]Natural Selection 2 - $24.99 $6.24
[*]Worms Collection - $89.99 $22.49[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Worms Revolution - $14.99 $3.74

[*]Worms Ultimate Mayhem - $14.99 $3.74

[*]Starforge (Alpha) - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Counter-Strike Complete - $29.99 $7.49[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Saints Row: The Third - The Full Package - $29.99 $7.49[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Assassin's Creed Pack - $169.95 $57.78[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Assassin's Creed III - $39.99 $23.99[/customspoiler]

[*]Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic $9.99 $3.39
[*]Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords - $9.99 $3.39
[*]Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing - $14.99 $3.74
[*]Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing Transformed - $29.99 $7.49[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Sonic 3 and Knuckles - $4.99 $1.24
[*]Sonic 3D Blast - $4.99 $1.24
[*]Sonic Adventure 2 - $9.99 $2.49[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Sonic Adventure DX - $8.99 $2.23
[*]Sonic CD - $4.99 $1.24
[*]Sonic Spinball - $4.99 $1.24
[*]Sonic the Hedgehog - $4.99 $1.24
[*]Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - $4.99 $1.24
[*]Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1 - $9.99 $2.49
[*]Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 2 - $14.99 $3.74
[*]Sonic Generations - $14.99 $3.74[customspoiler='Contents']

Expired

Persistent Deals

(if you notice a daily/flash sale in here by mistake, please let me know)

-75% or More

-50% to -74%

[*]The Political Machine 2012 - $3.99 $0.99 (4-Pack - $9.99 $2.49)[/customspoiler]

[*]Sins of a Solar Empire: Trinity - $19.99 $6.79
[*]The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition - $19.99 $9.99
[*]The Witcher: Enhanced Director's Cut - $9.99 $4.99
[*]Dead Space - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Dead Space 2 - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Hitman 2: Silent Assassin - $6.99 $3.39
[*]Hitman: Blood Money - $8.99 $4.49
[*]Hitman: Codename 47 - $6.99 $3.39
[*]Saints Row: The Third - The Full Package - $29.99 $14.99[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition - $29.99 $14.99
[*]The Cave - $14.99 $7.49
[*]Sonic Hits Collection - $29.99[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Sonic 3 and Knuckles - $4.99 $2.49
[*]Sonic 3D Blast - $4.99 $2.49
[*]Sonic Adventure 2 - $9.99 $4.99

[*]Sonic Adventure DX - $8.99 $4.47
[*]Sonic CD - $4.99 $2.49
[*]Sonic Spinball - $4.99 $2.49
[*]Sonic the Hedgehog - $4.99 $2.49
[*]Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - $4.99 $2.49
[*]Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1 - $9.99 $4.99
[*]Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 2 - $14.99 $7.49
[*]Sonic Generations - $14.99 $7.49

[*]Mirror's Edge - $19.99 $9.99
[*]McPixel - $4.99 $0.99
[*]Euro Truck Simulator 2 - $39.99 $19.99
[*]Euro Truck Simulator - $8.99 $4.49
[*]FTL - $9.99 $4.99
[*]Cart Life - $4.99 $1.99
[*]To The Moon - $9.99 $2.99
[*]VVVVVV - $4.99 $2.49
[*]Kerbal Space Program - $22.99 $20.69
[*]Sid Meier's Civilization V: Gold Edition - $49.99 $24.99[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Need for Speed: Undercover - $9.99 $4.99
[*]Need for Speed: Shift - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Shift 2: Unleashed - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Magical Diary - $14.99 $5.24
[*]Super House of Dead Ninjas - $6.99 $2.37
[*]The Blackwell Legacy - $4.99 $1.99
[*]Jack Lumber - $7.49 $2.24
[*]Anna - Extended Edition - $9.99 $3.39
[*]The Bridge - $14.99 $7.49
[*]Alice: Madness Returns - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Payday The Heist - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Counter-Strike - $9.99 $2.49
[*]The Orange Box - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Half-Life Complete - $39.99 $19.99[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Rockstar Hits Collection - $89.97 $44.98[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]LA Noire - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Max Payne 3 - $39.99 $19.99[/customspoiler]

[*]Starseed Pilgrim - $5.99 $2.69
[*]The Binding of Isaac - $4.99 $2.49[customspoiler='Contents']

All Current Specials

Preorder Deals - Updated 24/6

• The Raven - Legacy of a Master Thief - Pre-Purchase and receive: [customspoiler="Free upgrade to the Digital Deluxe Edition"]
    Digital poster (printable) 
  • Papercraft mask of The Raven (printable)
  • “Making of” booklet 
  • Story book (plenty of background info and artworks)
  • Soundtrack[/customspoiler]

[*]Europa Universalis IV - Pre-Purchase now and receive: [customspoiler="The 100 Years War Unit Pack DLC"]
  • This DLC adds new, unique unit models to the belligerent nations of the
    100 Years War. Included are 11 infantry models for the warring nations,
    including England, France, Scotland, Burgundy and many more! [/customspoiler]

[*]Saints Row IV - Pre-Purchase now and receive: [customspoiler="3 Exclusive Team Fortress 2 Weapon Costumes"]
  • Pre-Purchase Saints Row IV and get 3 exclusive Team Fortress 2 weapon costumes to use in Saints Row IV: The Rainblower, the Flamethrower and the Rocket Launcher, only with Pre-Purchases on Steam! [/customspoiler]

[*]Rise of the Triad - Pre-Purchase now and receive: [customspoiler='The Apogee Throwback Pack']
  • The Apogee Throwback Pack is a collection of four classic Apogee
    Software titles all in one kick ass package. Blast your way across the
    galaxy as British Special Agent Blake Stone in "Aliens of Gold" and
    "Planet Strike", then take on an ancient evil menace as the H.U.N.T in
    "Rise of the Triad".[/customspoiler]

[*]Divinity: Dragon Commander - Pre-Purchase and receive: [customspoiler='Immediate access to the Divinity: Dragon Commander beta']
  • As an extra bonus, you will also receive a free upgrade to Divinity: Dragon Commander Imperial Edition.
  • The Imperial Edition includes a golden dragon skin, a Dragons On Earth
    campaign map, a digital soundtrack by award winning genius Kirill
    Pokrovsky, and behind the scenes information like concept art,
    classified design documents, confidential decision tree flowcharts and a
    unique documentary.[/customspoiler]

[*]Total War: Rome II - Pre-Purchase and receive: [customspoiler="The Greek States Culture Pack"]
  • The Greek States Culture Pack includes three new playable Factions for use in Single or Multiplayer Campaign modes and Custom and Multiplayer Battles. These factions are the diplomatic Athens, shrewd Epirus and formidable Sparta as playable factions. Each offers range of special tactics to achieve cultural and martial victories, and lethal elite units to crush foes in battle.
  • The Greek States also share a number of common goals, philosophies and general diplomatic aims. However, they are defined by their fierce independence and between them demonstrate a huge variety in approach to civil and military challenges that often brings them into conflict with the wider world, and each other.
  • Plus, Pre-Purchase and receive the Greek Hellenic Armor for The Pyro & Egyptian Cheetah set for The Scout in TF2. More to come!  [/customspoiler]

Indie Bundle Threads

Groupees
Indie Gala
Indie Royale
Humble Bundle

IndieGameStand

Free Stuff

There are quite a few free and free2play games and mods on steam. You can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
So all this talk about Dark Souls has me curious. What exactly is so difficult about it? I know it's supposed to super hard or whatever, but I haven't read much into it. Do you die in one hit? Are the checkpoints spaced incredibly far apart so dying sets you back 2+ hours? Does your hand get sore because of how fast you have to hit buttons a la DmC3/Bayonetta?

It's on my wish list, but I would just like to hear some impressions before I consider buying it. I don't mind a challenge, but if it's so hard that I'd rather headbutt a sledgehammer, then I'll save myself some money in the future.

The ONLY bosses in Dark Souls that are really hard, IMO, are Smaugh and Ornstein, the Four Kings, and the final boss (and even he's easy if you know how to parry...I didn't.) The rest of the bosses, yeah they'll kill ya a couple times, but in that game it's no big feat.

S & O, I really tried to beat them. I gave it everything I had and I could get pretty close, but I couldn't beat them without help from a friendly phantom. The Four Kings, it wasn't even funny. I know with certain equipment sets it is, or was, pretty easy to cheese your way through the fight, but I couldn't even put a dent in them. Again, blue phantoms saved my bacon.

Still haven't played the game on PC though. Will bite when GMG has it for 75% off, assuming they update the MSRP to $30 first. ;)

It's hard in that it's not extremely forgiving. I don't think it's much harder than other games that are directly of the same genre (Evergrace on the PS2 plays extremely similar to Dark Souls, for example, and can be very difficult).

It's not a button masher. If you run up to a group of enemies attacking, they will kill you, likely with a couple hits. Just a little while ago I wasn't paying attention properly. I did a combo on a skeleton crossbowman and thought he was dead. I turned around to face another skeleton, was about to attack him, then the crossbowman pulled out a sword and stabbed me. The attack staggered me, so the other skeleton slashed me twice and that was it. One mistake, dead.

As you get stronger, get better armor, upgrade it, etc, that won't happen with weaker enemies, but there will always be enemies that can kill you in a blink. Once you get used to the combat style you're using, though, it's not super difficult. You know to kick shielded enemies to stagger them and cut them down, you know to block arrows with your shield and rush archers when they're drawing a new arrow, etc.

Dying isn't going to set you back a long while, really, but you do sometimes have to fight through a good amount of enemies to find the next bonfire (checkpoint) where you can heal and refill your healing flask. However, every time you heal at a bonfire... all the enemies come back (except boss/miniboss type enemies). It's not forgiving in that regard. If you try fighting through to the next area and you can't, you can't just go back, heal, and finish up. You HAVE to fight your way all the way through in one go... or try again.

Bosses... they are that hard if you know how to fight them. That said, they are still very difficult. The first boss (in the tutorial area) may be easy, but in comparison, in another ARPG he might be hours into the game. The difficulty level is higher in Dark Souls. The first legit boss (the Taurus Demon) is also easy if you know how to fight him, but if you try to slug it out with him, odds are you're going to get your ass kicked. I still think Divinity 2 is harder though. The battle against Amdusias? Ridiculously hard unless you know exactly what you're doing and/or level up a LOT.

The Gaping Dragon... I'm not sure how hard he is. I fought him with a bow, so the battle was full of me shooting, running, shooting, repeat. That said, reading online, it's said that one of his attacks is a one shot on all but fairly beefy characters. Even "easy" bosses have very little tolerance for failure. If you fuck up, you're done.

How do you even get up to that butterfly anyways? I went deeper into the forest (past the shiny gate thing that I don't feel like paying 20,000 souls to open) and fought some big mossy armor dudes, but never up to the butterfly...

[quote name='utopianmachine']Stolen from the Groupees thread. Y'all mighta wanna know.[/QUOTE]

All that Sherlocking AND Dracula: Origin? That's quite the deal. Too bad I own all of it (not that I've played any yet :lol: )

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Are the Sherlock games any good? Might snag them for the future.[/QUOTE]

The metacritic scores are all in the 70 range. If you like adventure games and Sherlock Holmes, I would assume you'd be quite happy with this deal.

[quote name='Blade']It took 17 years for The Fellowship of the Ring to be written and published. He made the whole game alone, which in itself is more commendable than hiring other developers for his studio. He gets all the profits, too. You can Captain Hindsight it, but the game is still excellent the way he did it and we can't speculate on how it would be if he had done it another way. I think it's inspiring that someone made such a game alone, not giving up on the vision he had, so why put a negative spin on it? True, it doesn't exactly bode well for any of his future games, but some indie developers have 10-man teams and still take years to develop anything.[/QUOTE]

I'm not putting a negative spin on it. I think what he did was admirable in every way. It's just not a thing you can expect out of most people making most games.

And I kind of like "Captain Hindsight" as a title. ;)

[quote name='wEEman33']Super Puzzle Platformer Deluxe is really fun. Reminds me a bit of Super Crate Box.[/QUOTE]

I hope block puzzlers and 2D platformers outlive my potential children and those turtles that live a really long time.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']All that Sherlocking AND Dracula: Origin?

The metacritic scores are all in the 70 range. If you like adventure games and Sherlock Holmes, I would assume you'd be quite happy with this deal.[/QUOTE]

Alright, sounds good. Another thing to add to the collection and never play ;)

Hey. I'm playing Hound of the Baskervilles right now. It's pretty good! I'm not one to play hidden object sort of games, but this one is maybe the best I've played. Playing on "hard" mode.

Edit: I'm probably breaking a rule by playing a game I just bought. Shouldn't this be backlogged? (Of course, all the other Sherlock Holmes games are.)

[quote name='DukeEdwardI']So all this talk about Dark Souls has me curious. What exactly is so difficult about it? I know it's supposed to super hard or whatever, but I haven't read much into it. Do you die in one hit? Are the checkpoints spaced incredibly far apart so dying sets you back 2+ hours? Does your hand get sore because of how fast you have to hit buttons a la DmC3/Bayonetta?

It's on my wish list, but I would just like to hear some impressions before I consider buying it. I don't mind a challenge, but if it's so hard that I'd rather headbutt a sledgehammer, then I'll save myself some money in the future.[/QUOTE]

I know you have gotten a couple responses but I'll throw my thought into it...

20 years ago, Dark Souls would not be considered as soul crushingly difficult as it is today. It's all about the time we live in. IMO it is only considered so hard because it forces you to change all of the gaming habits you (may) have picked up over the past 10-15 years. It is a real shock at first because of that. But once you learn to take your time, learn enemy patterns, attacks, etc, stuff you would have done in say, Castlevania on NES, it is not overly difficult. If you try to play it like most ARPG/3rd Person games that have come out over the past couple console generations, you are going to get destroyed.

Make no mistake, more often than not you'll die the first time or three you see a new boss, or later in the game, a new enemy type, but once you've seen their attacks, you'll start to avoid them and you'll kill them. None of them are "cheap", and if you are having too much trouble, you can call in help. Don't be scared of the difficulty, you will miss out on what is IMO the best game to come out since HL2.

I got a response from Daedelic regarding the missing Whispered World:

Malte Malone Daedalic: Yeah there was some changing going on. The game was previously listed as a Viva Media Game and was now changed to be a Daedalic Entertainment game... This shouldn't have effected any purchaes or libraries but somehow it seems that it did. We are sorry for the upcoming problem and hope that it gets resolved soon.

Will update if I get a response from Steam support, since Daedelic in another answer basically told me there was nothing they could do on their end.

[quote name='fantomena']The Flatout games are on the weeklong deal. Which is the best?[/QUOTE]

Flatout UC, Flatout 2
Flatout 3 is rubbish (different dev), and Flatout 1 is redundant if you have UC
iirc

[quote name='Eldredpe']
[/QUOTE]
Sacred 2 gold is showing $10 although it can currently be purchased from Amazon for $5 http://www.amazon.com/Sacred-Gold-Online-Game-Code/dp/B00CX6G1I4/ref=pd_sim_vg_6

[quote name='spoderman']New Humble Bundle coming tomorrow with Thomas Was Alone and Capsized.

[/QUOTE]

Thomas Was Alone seems interesting, looking forward to picking it up

[quote name='The End']While that definitely sounds plausible, is that the only source on this?[/QUOTE]

Word is, Spoderman is trolling everyone on this....

[quote name='The End']While that definitely sounds plausible, is that the only source on this?[/QUOTE]

I believe so. It seems odd that it's coming tomorrow, makes me think that it might be a weekly deal or something.. but the guy says it's a Humble Bundle, so who knows. Maybe there will be more games with it as well.

I do know that the Thomas Was Alone dev said that the game would be in an upcoming special/sale/deal (forgot exact words) so I'm pretty sure it'll be in something featured by Humble tomorrow.

If it is a Humble Bundle, it's probably a numbered one. In which case, these are but two of the 5-6 games that we'll see.

HiB5 launched at the end of May last year. If they do it around this time of year, it helps them avoid being in direct competition with the Summer Sale. So I'd say the timing is about right.

[quote name='The End']If it is a Humble Bundle, it's probably a numbered one. In which case, these are but two of the 5-6 games that we'll see.

HiB5 launched at the end of May last year. If they do it around this time of year, it helps them avoid being in direct competition with the Summer Sale. So I'd say the timing is about right.[/QUOTE]

If it is a numbered one, I'd bet Giana Sisters will be in it.. it was a daily deal very recently.. too bad I bought it a couple months ago lol.

[quote name='The End']If it is a Humble Bundle, it's probably a numbered one. In which case, these are but two of the 5-6 games that we'll see.

HiB5 launched at the end of May last year. If they do it around this time of year, it helps them avoid being in direct competition with the Summer Sale. So I'd say the timing is about right.[/QUOTE]
That humble bundle started me on my quest to get as many steam games as possible and to my surprise I have nearly 600 games already due to bundles and sales. I love it it's been an awesome ride can't wait to see what is in the bundle tommorow. I don't have either of the two games mentioned on Steam I do however have Thomas Was Alone on my PS3/Vita and I will have to tell you all when I saw that it was going to be in this bundle my decision automatically was to buy it BTA or no BTA. :)

[quote name='MrNinjaSquirrel']Awesome! Really wanting to play TWA\\:D/[/QUOTE]

...some of us are old enough to think TWA and think airline...and think delays because of weather in Saint Louis.

[quote name='spoderman']If it is a numbered one, I'd bet Giana Sisters will be in it.. it was a daily deal very recently.. too bad I bought it a couple months ago lol.[/QUOTE]

I'm feeling doubtful about that, but if it comes to pass, I sure hope people actually try Giana Sisters.

[quote name='Drabelincoln']Word is, Spoderman is trolling everyone on this....[/QUOTE]

BLPbiJcCMAAYSZP.jpg:large

Pacers-Spiderman is not amused...

[quote name='asheskitty']...some of us are old enough to think TWA and think airline...and think delays because of weather in Saint Louis.
[/QUOTE]

I had to live with that shit STL weather for so many years ...

[quote name='asheskitty']...some of us are old enough to think TWA and think airline...and think delays because of weather in Saint Louis.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='TreadLife']I had to live with that shit STL weather for so many years ...[/QUOTE]

Both of these for me. I dealt with STL weather, and just STL in general, for so many years. The day I got out of Misery . . . I mean "Missouri", I was a happy man.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Am I the only one not interested in either game?

I think the answer is yes. :booty:[/QUOTE]
Yes it looks like......Utopianmachine Was Alone......on this.

I vaguely recall something about capsized... I try not to get excited about until I see price/that it's real.

I've heard some crazy rumors about Rape Sloth and Spoderman.
^_~

I also don't care about either game. Looks like something I will play for 5 mins, get bored, wonder why I spent money on it :lol:.

i have zero interest in getting any more indie games on my steam account at all

[quote name='asheskitty']I vaguely recall something about capsized... I try not to get excited about until I see price/that it's real.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I also don't care about either game. Looks like something I will play for 5 mins, get bored, wonder why I spent money on it :lol:.[/QUOTE]

Glad to see I'm not alone on this. Actually, I feel like Capsized and Thomas Was Alone looks like poorish offerings for Humble Bundle. I mean, I'm at least usually TEMPTED.

Of course, they may offer something I really want. Like Monster Loves You.

Everyone wants that one, right? Right?

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']I also don't care about either game. Looks like something I will play for 5 mins, get bored, wonder why I spent money on it :lol:.[/QUOTE]

Pretty much this. I'm sick of puzzle/platformers. If they end up being in an HIB and I actually get it because there's other stuff I want I'd probably just give them away.

[quote name='utopianmachine']
Of course, they may offer something I really want. Like Monster Loves You.

Everyone wants that one, right? Right?[/QUOTE]

If it weren't for someone suggesting that game on IGS, I'd have no idea what that game is. Doubt most people know about it ;)

[quote name='fantomena']The Flatout games are on the weeklong deal. Which is the best?[/QUOTE]
Flatout 2 has more mods (new cars and whatnot), you can add ENB to it, etc. Plus it's cheaper, so I'd say Flatout 2 > UC everyday.

I personally absolutely hated Capsized. One of the most frustrating and unpleasant games I've played in a long time.

I do want to play Thomas Was Alone, though.

[quote name='spoderman']If it weren't for someone suggesting that game on IGS, I'd have no idea what that game is. Doubt most people know about it ;)[/QUOTE]

If there's no bundle deal on it beforehand, I *may* get Monster Loves You in the Summer Sale. Problem is, I hear the "game" isn't even an hour long. I hear you'll want to play through it a few times. But brief, yeah.

[quote name='Mooby']Pretty much this. I'm sick of puzzle/platformers. If they end up being in an HIB and I actually get it because there's other stuff I want I'd probably just give them away.[/QUOTE]
Yes, exactly. I feel like all these indie puzzle platformers have some mechanic that is cool for the first couple of minutes, but then once that wears off it's just a boring game.

There is just too many of these games and about 98% of them can't hold me past 15 minutes because they are just so meh.

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Yes, exactly. I feel like all these indie puzzle platformers have some mechanic that is cool for the first couple of minutes, but then once that wears off it's just a boring game.

There is just too many of these games and about 98% of them can't hold me past 15 minutes because they are just so meh.[/QUOTE]

I remember people going crazy over Limbo: 'ermagerd d00d you've got to play 'dis!' Played it for about 45 minutes after getting it in a Humbe Bundle. Was it pretty to look at? Sure. Was it fun to play? Not really. The great irony is that indie games are supposed to be an alternative to the stagnation of AAA that produce the same iteration of generic third person/first person shooter again and again and again but most of the time we just get the umpteenth iteration of puzzle/platformer: Limbo, Capsized, Braid, And Yet it Moves, Beep, Doc Clock, Dead Light, NightSky, Closure, Snapshot... hell just look at the Indie section on Steam and count how many of the first hundred are described as platformers. At this point I don't even understand the motivation of the developers: 'hey guys, we're going to make another platformer!' I guess it has to do with the 'games as art' movement. The gameplay is effectively the same (and fairly shallow) but, hey, it looks cool/different/unique/whatever.

They're just small, casual games that are made with low budgets... for fun. That's usually the purpose of games.

AAA games are mostly clones of each other and are made with massive budgets. Is it really surprising that indie games, made with tiny budgets, are kinda the same thing? Sometimes certain ones stand out and are unique and fun, while others are good for 15 minutes to an hour of cheap thrills.

Seeing how cheap all of these games are gotten for, expecting more than that is... well, stupid. Over-analyzing it is more or less the same.

[quote name='Mooby']Pretty much this. I'm sick of puzzle/platformers. If they end up being in an HIB and I actually get it because there's other stuff I want I'd probably just give them away.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Sir_Fragalot']Yes, exactly. I feel like all these indie puzzle platformers have some mechanic that is cool for the first couple of minutes, but then once that wears off it's just a boring game.

There is just too many of these games and about 98% of them can't hold me past 15 minutes because they are just so meh.[/QUOTE]

Totally feel the same. So tired of getting excited about a new indie bundle and then seeing that the majority of the titles are puzzle platformers. I can only think of a few that I played, enjoyed and finished (Trine 1 & 2, Limbo, VVVVVV, Misadventures of P.B. Winterbottom) and countless others I played for 30 minutes, and promptly quit and uninstalled.

It's not that I HATE puzzle platformers. Like I mentioned, I enjoyed a few. It mostly boils down to my inability to solve some of the puzzles, giving up within 5-10 minutes and then looking up the solution on youtube. Then I feel like I'm not really beating the game on my own and quit. All of these indie puzzle/platfomers aren't like Portal, where when you solve the puzzle, you feel like a damned genius, it mostly ends up feeling like I'm a complete idiot and stumbled upon the solution by accident. I'm relieved I solved it, then 10 seconds later I get stumped for another 20 minutes. It's just not fun for me and would rather play other games where I DO have fun.

[quote name='spoderman']If it weren't for someone suggesting that game on IGS, I'd have no idea what that game is. Doubt most people know about it ;)[/QUOTE]

I found it during a massive Steam wishlist adding spree. Another game I'm waiting to be bundled, so if it really is a numbered one and that is one of them, well this just gets better and better:bouncy:

^^
Easily Impressed

Not to be a downer on people's downing of the number of indie puzzle platformers... but I would be super excited to get Thomas Was Alone and Capsized.

It just comes down to preference I think. Some people love and can play just any war FPSs continuously even though they're basically the same. I have yet to dislike a good indie puzzle game ever. Love the moments when I can't figure something out for like the nth time, go to bed, all of a sudden wake up and run to the PC just because it came to me how to solve it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back