The Steam Deals + Cards Thread V8 ~ Summer Sale Encore Day! | Rage $4.99 | Retro City Rampage $2.99 | Crysis $5.99 | Endless Space $10.19 |

Status
Not open for further replies.

MrNinjaSquirrel

CAGiversary!
Feedback
25 (100%)
It had to be done, welcome aboard the new thread, Steam Deal Thread V8!

You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

Disclaimer: Because of the ridiculous number of games on sale and the speed at which sales change, it is likely I will not be able to catch everything . Be sure to check the update time for the OP, and visit the Specials Tab to see all current sales. If you see something not listed in the OP, please feel free to PM me and I will see that it is added. Thanks, enjoy the sale  :D

Before you buy anything be sure to check out both BigSpoonyBard's Super Tips for Steam Sale Newbies (and Vets) and jshackle's Enhanced Steam Extension/Plugin for Chrome/Opera/Firefox!

Steam Summer Sale

Flash Deals

[*]Retro City Rampage - $14.99 $3.00
[*]Endless Space Gold - $34.99 $11.89[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Total War Grand Master Collection - $164.99 $41.24[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Rome: Total War - $9.99 $2.49
[*]Empire: Total War - $14.99 $3.74

[*]Napoleon: Total War - $14.99 $3.74

[*]Total War: SHOGUN 2 - $29.99 $7.49

[*]Shogun 2: Fall of the Samurai - $29.99 $7.49

[*]Viking: Battle for Asgard - $14.99 $3.74
[*]Total War Battles: SHOGUN - $4.99 $1.24
[*]SHOGUN 2: Rise of the Samurai Campaign - $9.99 $2.49[/customspoiler]

Expired

Community Choice

• Rage - $19.99 $4.99
Expired 

[*]​Round 2

[*]​Round 3

[*]​Rounds 4

[*]Round 5

[*]​Round 6

[*]​Round 7

[*]Round 8

[*]Round 9​

[*]Round 10

[*]Round 11

[*]​Round 12

[*]Round 13

[*]Round 14

[*]Round 15

[*]Round 16

[*]Round 17

[*]Round 18

[*]Round 19

[*]Round 20

[*]Round 21

[*]​Round 22

[*]Round 23

[*]Round 24

[*]​Round 25

[*]​Round 26

[*]​Round 27

[*]Round 28

[*]Round 29

[*]Round 30

[*]​Round 31

[*]Round 32

​​

Daily Deals

[*]Borderlands 2 - $39.99 $10.19 (4-Pack - $89.99 $30.59)[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Bioshock - $19.99 $4.99
[*]Bioshock 2 - $19.99 $4.99
[*]Bioshock Infinite - $59.99 $29.99
[*]Torchlight - $14.99 $3.73
[*]Torchlight 2 - $19.99 $4.99 (4-Pack - $59.99 $14.99)
[*]Sid Meier's Civilization® III Complete - $4.99 $1.24
[*]Sid Meier's Civilization IV: The Complete Edition - $29.99 $7.49[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Sid Meier's Civilization IV: Colonization - $19.99 $4.99[/customspoiler]

[*]Sid Meier's Civilization V: Gold Edition - $49.99 $24.99[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Tomb Raider Collection - $69.99 $17.49[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]The Walking Dead - $24.99 $6.24
[*]Kerbal Space Program - $22.99 $13.79
[*]Dishonored - $29.99 $10.19[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Skyrim: Legendary Edition - $59.99 $36.00[customspoiler='Contents']

Yesterday's Deals

[*]Natural Selection 2 - $24.99 $6.24
[*]Worms Collection - $89.99 $22.49[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Worms Revolution - $14.99 $3.74

[*]Worms Ultimate Mayhem - $14.99 $3.74

[*]Starforge (Alpha) - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Counter-Strike Complete - $29.99 $7.49[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Saints Row: The Third - The Full Package - $29.99 $7.49[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Assassin's Creed Pack - $169.95 $57.78[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Assassin's Creed III - $39.99 $23.99[/customspoiler]

[*]Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic $9.99 $3.39
[*]Star Wars Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords - $9.99 $3.39
[*]Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing - $14.99 $3.74
[*]Sonic & SEGA All-Stars Racing Transformed - $29.99 $7.49[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Sonic 3 and Knuckles - $4.99 $1.24
[*]Sonic 3D Blast - $4.99 $1.24
[*]Sonic Adventure 2 - $9.99 $2.49[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Sonic Adventure DX - $8.99 $2.23
[*]Sonic CD - $4.99 $1.24
[*]Sonic Spinball - $4.99 $1.24
[*]Sonic the Hedgehog - $4.99 $1.24
[*]Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - $4.99 $1.24
[*]Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1 - $9.99 $2.49
[*]Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 2 - $14.99 $3.74
[*]Sonic Generations - $14.99 $3.74[customspoiler='Contents']

Expired

Persistent Deals

(if you notice a daily/flash sale in here by mistake, please let me know)

-75% or More

-50% to -74%

[*]The Political Machine 2012 - $3.99 $0.99 (4-Pack - $9.99 $2.49)[/customspoiler]

[*]Sins of a Solar Empire: Trinity - $19.99 $6.79
[*]The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition - $19.99 $9.99
[*]The Witcher: Enhanced Director's Cut - $9.99 $4.99
[*]Dead Space - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Dead Space 2 - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Hitman 2: Silent Assassin - $6.99 $3.39
[*]Hitman: Blood Money - $8.99 $4.49
[*]Hitman: Codename 47 - $6.99 $3.39
[*]Saints Row: The Third - The Full Package - $29.99 $14.99[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition - $29.99 $14.99
[*]The Cave - $14.99 $7.49
[*]Sonic Hits Collection - $29.99[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Sonic 3 and Knuckles - $4.99 $2.49
[*]Sonic 3D Blast - $4.99 $2.49
[*]Sonic Adventure 2 - $9.99 $4.99

[*]Sonic Adventure DX - $8.99 $4.47
[*]Sonic CD - $4.99 $2.49
[*]Sonic Spinball - $4.99 $2.49
[*]Sonic the Hedgehog - $4.99 $2.49
[*]Sonic the Hedgehog 2 - $4.99 $2.49
[*]Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 1 - $9.99 $4.99
[*]Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 2 - $14.99 $7.49
[*]Sonic Generations - $14.99 $7.49

[*]Mirror's Edge - $19.99 $9.99
[*]McPixel - $4.99 $0.99
[*]Euro Truck Simulator 2 - $39.99 $19.99
[*]Euro Truck Simulator - $8.99 $4.49
[*]FTL - $9.99 $4.99
[*]Cart Life - $4.99 $1.99
[*]To The Moon - $9.99 $2.99
[*]VVVVVV - $4.99 $2.49
[*]Kerbal Space Program - $22.99 $20.69
[*]Sid Meier's Civilization V: Gold Edition - $49.99 $24.99[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Need for Speed: Undercover - $9.99 $4.99
[*]Need for Speed: Shift - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Shift 2: Unleashed - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Burnout Paradise: The Ultimate Box - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Magical Diary - $14.99 $5.24
[*]Super House of Dead Ninjas - $6.99 $2.37
[*]The Blackwell Legacy - $4.99 $1.99
[*]Jack Lumber - $7.49 $2.24
[*]Anna - Extended Edition - $9.99 $3.39
[*]The Bridge - $14.99 $7.49
[*]Alice: Madness Returns - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Payday The Heist - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Counter-Strike - $9.99 $2.49
[*]The Orange Box - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Half-Life Complete - $39.99 $19.99[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]Rockstar Hits Collection - $89.97 $44.98[customspoiler='Contents']

[*]LA Noire - $19.99 $9.99
[*]Max Payne 3 - $39.99 $19.99[/customspoiler]

[*]Starseed Pilgrim - $5.99 $2.69
[*]The Binding of Isaac - $4.99 $2.49[customspoiler='Contents']

All Current Specials

Preorder Deals - Updated 24/6

• The Raven - Legacy of a Master Thief - Pre-Purchase and receive: [customspoiler="Free upgrade to the Digital Deluxe Edition"]
    Digital poster (printable) 
  • Papercraft mask of The Raven (printable)
  • “Making of” booklet 
  • Story book (plenty of background info and artworks)
  • Soundtrack[/customspoiler]

[*]Europa Universalis IV - Pre-Purchase now and receive: [customspoiler="The 100 Years War Unit Pack DLC"]
  • This DLC adds new, unique unit models to the belligerent nations of the
    100 Years War. Included are 11 infantry models for the warring nations,
    including England, France, Scotland, Burgundy and many more! [/customspoiler]

[*]Saints Row IV - Pre-Purchase now and receive: [customspoiler="3 Exclusive Team Fortress 2 Weapon Costumes"]
  • Pre-Purchase Saints Row IV and get 3 exclusive Team Fortress 2 weapon costumes to use in Saints Row IV: The Rainblower, the Flamethrower and the Rocket Launcher, only with Pre-Purchases on Steam! [/customspoiler]

[*]Rise of the Triad - Pre-Purchase now and receive: [customspoiler='The Apogee Throwback Pack']
  • The Apogee Throwback Pack is a collection of four classic Apogee
    Software titles all in one kick ass package. Blast your way across the
    galaxy as British Special Agent Blake Stone in "Aliens of Gold" and
    "Planet Strike", then take on an ancient evil menace as the H.U.N.T in
    "Rise of the Triad".[/customspoiler]

[*]Divinity: Dragon Commander - Pre-Purchase and receive: [customspoiler='Immediate access to the Divinity: Dragon Commander beta']
  • As an extra bonus, you will also receive a free upgrade to Divinity: Dragon Commander Imperial Edition.
  • The Imperial Edition includes a golden dragon skin, a Dragons On Earth
    campaign map, a digital soundtrack by award winning genius Kirill
    Pokrovsky, and behind the scenes information like concept art,
    classified design documents, confidential decision tree flowcharts and a
    unique documentary.[/customspoiler]

[*]Total War: Rome II - Pre-Purchase and receive: [customspoiler="The Greek States Culture Pack"]
  • The Greek States Culture Pack includes three new playable Factions for use in Single or Multiplayer Campaign modes and Custom and Multiplayer Battles. These factions are the diplomatic Athens, shrewd Epirus and formidable Sparta as playable factions. Each offers range of special tactics to achieve cultural and martial victories, and lethal elite units to crush foes in battle.
  • The Greek States also share a number of common goals, philosophies and general diplomatic aims. However, they are defined by their fierce independence and between them demonstrate a huge variety in approach to civil and military challenges that often brings them into conflict with the wider world, and each other.
  • Plus, Pre-Purchase and receive the Greek Hellenic Armor for The Pyro & Egyptian Cheetah set for The Scout in TF2. More to come!  [/customspoiler]

Indie Bundle Threads

Groupees
Indie Gala
Indie Royale
Humble Bundle

IndieGameStand

Free Stuff

There are quite a few free and free2play games and mods on steam. You can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
Anybody know if you get a GOG key when you buy through the Dev? I've got less than 20 minutes left to decide if i wanna pull the trigger on this deal. So obviously I need to know as soon as possible.
Im pretty sure you don't...I think its just a humble store DRM free download and a Steam key

I think Ashes posted something similar a few pages back, but this sums up whether or not you should buy BGEE or not:

"The EE is extremely buggy right now. They have already released several patches, but it is still very buggy.

The only truly new things in the EE are three new companions and a rather sucky fight arena. The Black Pits was advertised as being a new adventure sidequest that would be over six hours long. In reality, its not a sidequest at all, but rather a fight arena where you fight 15 different fights and that's it. It took me less than two hours to get through it. Remember the Battle Squares from Icewind Dale 2? That's basically what it is.

The rest of the "enhancements" are all fan-made mods that are available for free.

Basically these mods:

Tutu mod
widescreen mod
1pp mod

Use those mods and you basically can make your own EE.
"

Not only that, I've read that BGEE doesn't work with a lot of user mods, and there are some excellent ones out there besides the ones that simply update the game. You're seriously just shooting yourself in the foot and spending extra money on the inferior version when you buy BGEE.

Good job, everyone. It's not a typical day that a game goes on sale (BGEE) and I end up responding by removing it from my wishlist. I was ready to throw card money at it, but I guess I'll stick with my GoG version of the original. Which will likely stay in my backlog forever, anyway. Because I win at CAG.

The temptation to plant it in my inventory for speculation is there, but I think I'd rather not be bothered.
I maintain my contrarian stance on this. The Overhaul NPCs are fun (especially Neera) and I put almost 10 hours into The Black Pits. The two biggest issues I had with bugs were stuttering audio in some of the movies and an NPC failing to drop a quest item at the beginning. It's definitely worth a fiver if you don't already own a digital copy of BG.

Everyone... go buy Rogue Legacy.

I just played it all day after work and completely got lost in it. IT IS AWESOME.
Just to bring this up yet again. I loveeee Rogue Legacy. I've put in around 16-17 hours on my first play through (I'm sure plenty of that was paused time due to Baby McShitface). Still a lot of quality play - and great for short bursts. You can probably power through your first play in 5-6 hours if you're really good. It's got a New Game+ as well which is nice - and ramps up the difficulty.

Just to bring this up yet again. I loveeee Rogue Legacy. I've put in around 16-17 hours on my first play through (I'm sure plenty of that was paused time due to Baby McShitface). Still a lot of quality play - and great for short bursts. You can probably power through your first play in 5-6 hours if you're really good. It's got a New Game+ as well which is nice - and ramps up the difficulty.
LOL @ Baby McShitface, I kinda like mother f'n rolly polly, chubby cheek shit machine myself

But that means I have to pay retail on a game, lol.

Looks fun as hell, I will need to buy it at some point.
I wasn't going to but it is a small dev team and so I would much rather support them and their creativity than pay retail for some AAA title just like the one before it.

Plus I have already gotten my $15 worth out of it by far.

LOL @ Baby McShitface, I kinda like mother f'n rolly polly, chubby cheek shit machine myself
You guys should get your kids T-shirts with these colorful nicknames emblazoned upon them in a bold script.

On an unrelated-to-much-of-anything note, a kid in Texas got tossed in the hoosegow for playing League of Legends and being a dumbass. Whatever the political implications of this story are, my main reaction is a further reduction in my already-minimal desire to play League of Legends.

EDIT 2: Oh, and since I haven't posted in a while here nor kept up to date on everything, I figured I'd ask...when does the steam summer sale begin?! :spam:

Just gonna post these here since I know its difficult to keep up on the group page (at least for me)

Got some BGCQ contests for us elitists!

Also, I have 2 coupons from trading carding, so if any CAGs want 50% off Orcs Must Die! 2 (EXPIRES TONIGHT!) or The Bridge (Expires in a week), let me know asap...

EDIT: And to be an equal opportunity giver, here is one for you regular CAGs :lol:

I still have my original BE disc and the GOG version.

From what I've read it isn't worth buying if you already own the game. They basically implemented some mods, fixed a few things (that I think user patches fix too), and added a tiny bit of content.
Hmm, thanks for the info, saved me $5

EDIT 3:

and GreenManGaming's servers go down in 3....2....1.....

On an unrelated-to-much-of-anything note, a kid in Texas got tossed in the hoosegow for playing League of Legends and being a dumbass. Whatever the political implications of this story are, my main reaction is a further reduction in my already-minimal desire to play League of Legends.
Brutal. Then again, I stand firm in my believe that many of the LoL assclowns deserve the be in jail, or at least barred from communicating anything but game-related content. You don't need to be a shithead when playing in competitive gaming... or any gaming for that matter. Whether or not he is one of them, I don't know. Get him on XBL and we'll see how it goes.

Edit: I digress; the CS, TF2 and LoL communities have degraded so much that I find them to be on par with the majority of the reddit community - one that I despise quite adamantly (probably because a majority of it consists of players) - which makes me biased as a whole. It just really irks me when I can't enjoy a game because people are either a) determined to make my experience miserable b) take it too seriously or c) won't shut the fuck up. Even when I was pwning faces as a teen during CS beta I didn't find it necessary to troll people or make bomb threats. For me, the scoreboard did all the talking. But that's just me.

Good looks! Good luck to everyone tryin' to nab it.
I managed to get one, and as I'm sure you can imagine, it took forevvvvvvveeeeeerrrrr to get through the checkout. I'm not sure why I even bothered. I'll never even play the game.

I guess I can take solace in the fact the somewhere out there, there's a guy would have gotten a key if not for me. That's something, isn't it?

Brutal. Then again, I stand firm in my believe that many of the LoL assclowns deserve the be in jail, or at least barred from communicating anything but game-related content. You don't need to be a shithead when playing in competitive gaming... or any gaming for that matter. Whether or not he is one of them, I don't know. Get him on XBL and we'll see how it goes.

Edit: I digress; the CS, TF2 and LoL communities have degraded so much that I find them to be on par with the majority of the reddit community - one that I despise quite adamantly (probably because a majority of it consists of players) - which makes me biased as a whole. It just really irks me when I can't enjoy a game because people are either a) determined to make my experience miserable b) take it too seriously or c) won't shut the fuck up. Even when I was pwning faces as a teen during CS beta I didn't find it necessary to troll people or make bomb threats. For me, the scoreboard did all the talking. But that's just me.
I agree in general terms, but I don't play much competitive multiplayer anything. I dabble in TF2 but haven't found it to be too full of stereotypical dicks and the brief time I've spent with Dino D-Day wasn't bad either. However, I have heard that MOBA communities are loaded with jerks and people who have low tolerance for "noobs."

I managed to get one, and as I'm sure you can imagine, it took forevvvvvvveeeeeerrrrr to get through the checkout. I'm not sure why I even bothered. I'll never even play the game.

I guess I can take solace in the fact the somewhere out there, there's a guy would have gotten a key if not for me. That's something, isn't it?
I should have known it was you...so cute, so blue, so very mean.

I was thinking SI was something else and now I feel like a dick. I'll give it away later (in this thread) to save dickface though.

Winner:
8xpzly.jpg

I was thinking SI was something else and now I feel like a dick. I'll give it away in this thread later to save dickface though.
Yeah, I reflexively redeemed the key once I got it. Almost instantly, I regretted the move. I wish I'd held on to it to give away to a fellow CAG. Surely somebody out there would actually play the game. :whistle2:|

I never got Stellar Impact from any of the previous bundles and would actually be interested in trying it out.  But of course by the time I look at the deal the site is hammered haha.  In the past 10 minutes I haven't gotten past my checkout screen...

Defense Grid was really good but there was definitely a steep learning curve. To me DQ and the mobile game Kingdom Rush are in a similar space where they're much more forgiving but every bit as hardcore. That's my take at least. I just checked and the flash demo is still around so give that a go since it's the first few levels and you'll know one way or the other:

http://www.defendersquest.com/play_demo.html
You should get a cut of the profit for making this sale. I never would have considered this without playing the flash version. I usually keep my TD games strictly on the ipad. After 2 hours with the flash version, I went ahead and pulled the trigger.

Edit: Glad I did when I did, too, because it's back up to $7.99.

You guys didn't get Stellar Impact from Indie Bundle blah blah blah?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-rroGskFnE[/youtube]

One wonders how many people used it to build their bundle. One?

And the Indie Jam was $5.31 and it didn't even have an NBA game.

Was Defender's Quest 75% off somewhere? I just played the demo and liked it, but I guess I should wait for the inevitable indie bundle...
It was 75% off on GOG. The dev matched the sale price for purchases made through their site. Anybody buying though the dev, got a humble copy, as well as a GOG, Desura & Steam key.

I bought through the dev myself and managed to flip the steam key for $3.00. I'll surely end up with a steam key when it hits a future Humble bundle, so I don't mind waiting for that.

I loved Bully. Gamepad support is spot-on, but if I recall right, when hubby was playing, keyboard controls sucked hard. I want to say the game may have even shown 360 controller options/button prompts even with KBM enabled -- when his 360 controller was NOT how he was playing. It's a poor port to PC that way, but if you're playing with controller, you'll be happy.

I already have Bully on my 360 and have every achievement. Is there a good reason to get it for Steam? Any fun mods to mess with?

oh man, MORE additions to killing floor. objective mode! man i love killing floor. its probably my most played game on steam. i haven't played it in a while. now i can revisit it again. if there were any game that id try to get a lvl5 card badge for, it wud be killing floor. 

oh man, MORE additions to killing floor. objective mode! man i love killing floor. its probably my most played game on steam. i haven't played it in a while. now i can revisit it again. if there were any game that id try to get a lvl5 card badge for, it wud be killing floor.
Bleh, and I really want to play it too. Unfortunately it screwed up and I lost all progress. None of the fixes in the forums worked, and I don't feel like working may way back up again.

I agree in general terms, but I don't play much competitive multiplayer anything. I dabble in TF2 but haven't found it to be too full of stereotypical dicks and the brief time I've spent with Dino D-Day wasn't bad either. However, I have heard that MOBA communities are loaded with jerks and people who have low tolerance for "noobs."
You said it. The *one* game of DOTA2 I played was on a server marked as Newbie-friendly. 30-seconds into my first game I was inundated with abuse and harassment. I packed it up and never went back.

You said it. The *one* game of DOTA2 I played was on a server marked as Newbie-friendly. 30-seconds into my first game I was inundated with abuse and harassment. I packed it up and never went back.
Yep, that sums up why I stay away from such stuff. Also, in my past experience "free" is worse since it's more accessible to youths. (I'm not saying kids can't be kids, I just don't want to be subjected to their pimply angst.)

Yep, that sums up why I stay away from such stuff. Also, in my past experience "free" is worse since it's more accessible to youths. (I'm not saying kids can't be kids, I just don't want to be subjected to their pimply angst.)
It sounds just like the L4D2 community: do anything that they consider to be incorrect and they'll shout abuse at you through their mics or vote-ban you from the server.

The TF2 (now free) community, on the other hand, seems to be pretty much the same (arsehole-wise) as the few paid MP games that I've played a fair bit of (the most recent one being Killing Floor.) Sure, there are some real arseholes playing, but the vast majority aren't going to bitch and curse at you for not playing a perfect game.

I saw the update but wasn't sure what it was since there was no Steam news. Thanks for the heads-up. I did find this in case anyone wants more info: http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/07/02/killing-floor-pier-of-pain-event-adds-new-mode-map-and-weapons-first-gameplay-video-inside/

It sounds just like the L4D2 community: do anything that they consider to be incorrect and they'll shout abuse at you through their mics or vote-ban you from the server.

The TF2 community, on the other hand, seems to be pretty much the same (arsehole-wise) as the few paid MP games that I've played much of (the most recent one being Killing Floor.)
I havent played Killing Floor in months, but when I used to play, people were always nice...in my experience anyway. League of Legends has a crap ton of player-to-player abuse, but you can always just mute people.

Not to start a console v. PC flame war, but it seems to me that outside of MOBAs, anecdotally speaking at least, the worst communities seem to be in console shooters. The thing I find mystifying about this is why people even play shooters on consoles. Aiming and shooting with a DualShock controller is so imprecise and fidgety I won't even buy a cheap shooter for the PS3 (unless it's Move-enabled). I haven't started writing my Sleeping Dogs review  yet, but one of the things I found really interesting about that game, which was a stellar port job by Squeenix, was that the melee combat system was pretty awkward with kb+m, but the shooting was SO much easier using it. There were a couple of "on rails" missions where you were tasked with shooting it out with waves of attacking cars/bikers that I failed several times using my gamepad but sailed through on the first try with the mouse.

Not to start a console v. PC flame war, but it seems to me that outside of MOBAs, anecdotally speaking at least, the worst communities seem to be in console shooters. The thing I find mystifying about this is why people even play shooters on consoles. Aiming and shooting with a DualShock controller is so imprecise and fidgety I won't even buy a cheap shooter for the PS3 (unless it's Move-enabled). I haven't started writing my Sleeping Dogs review yet, but one of the things I found really interesting about that game, which was a stellar port job by Squeenix, was that the melee combat system was pretty awkward with kb+m, but the shooting was SO much easier using it. There were a couple of "on rails" missions where you were tasked with shooting it out with waves of attacking cars/bikers that I failed several times using my gamepad but sailed through on the first try with the mouse.
I'm normally controller biased, but initially Sheepy Dogs left me with that same conundrum... melee was great with controller and meh with KB/M and vice versa with the shooting.

However, I found the "correct" way to play. It tries to be a game in the word of HK cinema... play it like a HK cinema hero/anti-hero. Play it with controller... melee when appropriate, for the shooting segments abuse the bullet-time mechanic. It feels so much better when playing it like that rather than cover-shooter or non-bullet-time run & gun.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back