The Steve "Dr. Death" Williams Memorial Wrestling Thread

[quote name='mykevermin']^ I thought I heard a brief "we want Owen" chant from the crowd.

Ahh, Dayton, Ohio. Not the smartest city in the US, that's for sure.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I went to college at the University of Dayton and the majority of residents of the city are not very bright. I honestly thought the crowd was chanting "Vince killed Owen" which made me regret that I ever lived in the city.

Maybe it was Hogan.

The TNA crowd was more vocal and on point in their chants, however ("this is bullshit" to the first match finish, "bullshit" to Hogan's exalting of Dixie Carter as the savior of TNA, "this is wrestling/awesome/epic" during Angle/Styles).

EDIT: And much respect to your avatar, lombarvm.

I've never been a fan of the Nasty Boys but they had some decent street fights with Harlem Heat and Public Enemy back in the day. I'm pretty sure that's the match type they'll be going at 3D with.

dibiase.png

WWE posted this on Saturday or Sunday and it's still up. Spoil your storylines much?

So WWE gave us a Bret/HBK hug and Vince kicking Bret in the balls with pointy dress shoes. I understand it's meant to show that Bret was a one-time guest host so we'll all be surprised when he shows up on TV again, but I dunno...seemed like a whole lot of hype for nothing.

TNA...oh, TNA. While I dig that the first thing they choose to showcase their program with is the X-Division, the cage was a horrible idea. Between not being able to see anything, a cage match ending on a DQ, and Homicide looking terrified/stuck while trying to escape for no reason whatsoever, it didn't do much for the wrestlers involved. Jeff's debut was a surprise in that I wasn't expecting to see him participate, and I'm sure that's the biggest shot to be fired at the WWE since Punk's still mentioning Jeff on TV.

I hope Val, Orlando, and the Nastys are just one time appearances. Maybe give the Nastys one or two appearances culminating in an Impact tag match, but please don't make them regulars. Hall and Pac, okay. Pac can still wrestle, and he's used to the six-sided ring. I don't want to see Hall stumbling all over the place unless it means something - maybe a 3D/Outsiders match.

There are 56 people listed on the TNA roster page. Of those, there were 10 that didn't appear on TV last night (and that counts Hector Guerrero, Don West, Willie Urbina, and Team 3D who were referenced anyways). Ridiculous.

[quote name='JJSP']I hope Val, Orlando, and the Nastys are just one time appearances.[/quote]

Those 4 dudes showing up make me think that being Hogan's buddy > being a capable wrestler. I mean, we knew that already, but we (I, at least) was suckered into thinking that perhaps it was supposed to be different this time around. I'll admit that much - who else was starry eyed into foolishness for a moment last night?

Who the fuck ever bought a ticket to see Orlando fucking Jordan? I know I bought a few in spite of him, but certainly not because of him.

Maybe give the Nastys one or two appearances culminating in an Impact tag match

perish the fucking thought.

Well that was the first time I watched wrestling in over a year (I DVR'd both shows), and I can safely say I won't be watching next week. I started watching wrestling in 1986 and was a longtime fan, but it just doesn't do it for me anymore. The last time I really enjoyed watching wrestling was the original nWo and old school ECW (before WWE crapped all over it).

OK so I don't watch wrestling anymore, haven't watched it since maybe 2004 (?). But I am currently downloading a torrent of RAW last night, I grew up and still am a huge Bret Hart fan so when I saw he came back for one night I decided I had to see it. Apparently TNA's show was ok last night, it would be good for wrestling if someone could really compete with the WWE. I have to say that I am kind of disappointed that Bret came back for this, it just doesn't seem like something he would or should do. I just would've preferred it if he stayed away for good, if the last time he was on WWE TV was his Hall of Fame acceptance speech. But whatever, I really can't stand wrestling today either way so in the end why should I care at all?

Think about it, Myke. Let the Nastys work Big Rob and Magnus. Knobbs and Saggs are known to work stiff, and maybe they'll bash Rob in the head with a shovel or something. Nasty Boys are taken off of TV yet again for being douchebags, and Rob Terry's off TV for having his brains scrambled. Doug Williams relaxes comfortably and continues to suplex the shit out of people.

There were rumors of WWE wanting Punk/Hardy at Wrestlemania, which explains why Punk continued to call him out in recent weeks. I'm under the impression that the WWE believed Jeff Hardy was going to come back to them, and his showing up at TNA makes me think Jeff's tenure in the WWE is done for good.

[quote name='JJSP']Think about it, Myke. Let the Nastys work Big Rob and Magnus. Knobbs and Saggs are known to work stiff, and maybe they'll bash Rob in the head with a shovel or something. Nasty Boys are taken off of TV yet again for being douchebags, and Rob Terry's off TV for having his brains scrambled. Doug Williams relaxes comfortably and continues to suplex the shit out of people.[/quote]

Fine, but make it those YouTube matches nobody watches.

Jeff's tenure in the WWE is done for good.

Bret Hart was on Raw last night.

TNA never did explain who beat up the Guns, Beer Money, or Rhino, did they?

Traci Brooks and Frankie Kazarian are getting married. I'd respond with "motorboat", but I'm pretty sure Frankie wouldn't want to mess up his pretty little ponytail.

I think it's pretty safe to say Jeff can do whatever he wants at this point. He sells too much merchandise for WWE to ignore him. (If i had to venture a guess, he was probably only selling less merch than Rey,DX and Cena) On top of that he is one of the few faces they had that the fans actually give a shit about.

[quote name='mykevermin']

Bret Hart was on Raw last night.[/QUOTE]

After 12 years. With Vince's ego running as wild (brother) as it has been, I wouldn't be surprised to see Hardy blacklisted for the immediate future. As popular as Hardy is, I honestly don't think Vince sees him as a big money guy, nor will he ever. Well, at least not a big enough one that Vince will let what he assumably perceives as a slap-in-the-face go unpunished. We all know Hardy is a huge draw, but did you ever perceive that he was booked and placed on shows as a contemporary of guys like DX, Cena, Taker, or even Mysterio? Never forget that HHH felt it was necessary to drop the belt to Edge BEFORE Hardy got it. That's very telling right there.

Remember who we're dealing with here... does anyone honestly think that Vinnie Mac sees Hardy showing up there as anything but a personal attack? This may not be the Monday Night Wars anymore, but the fact remains that Hardy jumped ship, and decided to make a 'point' in doing so.

With the look on Hardy's face the entire time, I'm guessing he might think this was just as bad of an idea as everyone else. Poorly handled debut and shoved into the X Division? Please.

So, yeah, I think Hardy will eventually be back (provided he doesn't die or wind up in jail, which are both distinct possiblities), but it certainly won't be in time for Mania 26. I think the only question now is... does Punk drop the mentions entirely, or will he be instructed to get really viscious to send a message?

Well it'll probably keep Matt Hardy employed and at the bottom of the card for a while, just so TNA can't retread the Hardys/Dudley Boys feud.

I get all that. McMahon's ego interfere's with WWE's business. But it interferes in the execution of angles, and only very rarely in terms of who gets on the payroll.

Only a few select people appear to truly be off the WWE radar entirely. Randy Savage has to live with the irony that you get blackballed for buttfuckin' Stephanie, but if you put a ring on her finger first, you get the world (wrestling entertainment) handed to you on a silver platter. Jeff Jarrett held McMahon hostage for $100K, and unlike Warrior (who did the same), is not viewed as enough of a draw to ever be welcomed back.

McMahon has a massive ego that makes the television program suffer - no doubt about that. But (1) people have to commit severe indiscretions to invoke the "blacklisted" ire (and the Savage/Steph thing is all rumor anyway), and (2) most of the ego execution comes in the form of public humiliation anyway. McMahon ruins his targets on camera via angles (Dusty in polka dots, parodying the Parent's Television Council via the Right to Censor, etc.), not by making them pariahs. McMahon thinks people love anything he put on television, and as long as merch sales are profitable, he has no reason to discount that absurd, absurd theory.

EDIT: Yeah, I think diddy's spot on. Matt Hardy's going so low he'll be jobbing to Evan Bourne, Hornswoggle, and Chavo Guerrero. But Jeff will be picked up immediately if he were available.

On that note, you're quite right, JJSP, about Jeff Hardy not being a "true" champ as having his belt earned via Edge and not Triple H.

I finally got around to watching both this morning.

TNA
The steel asylum match is awesome on paper, terrible in execution. Couldn't see inside. Also, a DQ finish? It's a fucking cage match. "This is bullshit" chants were dead on.

Jeff Hardy's return fell flat to me.

Flair? Really? Didn't he say he wanted a huge retirement thing and he didn't want to be one of those guys that came back? Cripes.

Hall and Waltman coming back was hilarious when they couldn't get in.. it was sad when they got in the arena. When they entered the ring and Hogan brushed them off, I thought that maybe Hall and Waltman were being used to show what people were expecting, and Hogan was going to get them kicked out, showing how TNA is changing. This would have been awesome. However, I then got Kevin Nash to tease an upcoming match. I'm pretty sure Hall spoiled Bischoff's appearance. The whole thing was just shit coated in shit. Oh, and "I've been in the back all day!" after them hyping him coming in a limo = priceless.

Nasty Boys? Really? I mean, I expected it, but to actually see it happen was surreal. This is just terrible all around.

TNA's the new WCW. If they spent even a quarter of the money on younger talent that they're using for big name faces, this company would flourish. As of now, it's just somewhere to go so fans don't forget about you.

WWE
HOLY SHIT IT'S BRET HART

NO SERIOUSLY, IT'S BRET HART

Bret Hart is in better shape than I expected. I was on the edge of my seat when his music hit. I expected a no-show, I expected a midget Bret Hart to run out and DX to come out on tricycles honking horns and throwing confetti, I expected Jason Sensation to come out.. but nope, it was Bret. I got chills when he called out Shawn, even moreso when they were face to face. I haven't been this excited for wrestling in a decade and a half. I felt like I was a kid at my first WWE event again, watching Bret Hart coming out to take on Jerry Lawler in a steel cage.

You know, all these years, I've wondered how angry Bret was. It never occured to me that maybe he's just fucking sick of the whole thing. I wonder how much of that was legit and how much was an angle, because they both looked sincere. They put each other over, shook hands.. then hugged. The handshake was pretty amazing, and while the hug seemed sincere and legit, it was weird.

Nothing else about Bret until the end (aside from the Jericho segment), when Vince kicked Bret. Can't wait to see where this goes. Man, I hope he renews his contract after Wrestlemania.

The winner of the night? I'm going with WWE, just slightly, because of Bret.

Also, I'm really, really fucking excited at the possibility of Bret being at Raw when they swing by here in the music city on Feb. 1st.

[quote name='JJSP']TNA never did explain who beat up the Guns, Beer Money, or Rhino, did they?[/QUOTE]

Nope.

Same with the masked man who made a run-in on the main event.

[quote name='Scorch']You know, all these years, I've wondered how angry Bret was. It never occured to me that maybe he's just fucking sick of the whole thing.[/QUOTE]

Read his book. He comes off as his own biggest fan and extremely bitter about the whole thing.

Just out of curiosity I looked this up...Since 2000, Triple H has lost the WWE/World Championship to Edge, Orton, Big Show, The Rock, Hulk Hogan, Batista, Shawn Michaels, and Goldberg. (yes, I was surprised at that last one too.)

He definitely should have taken the pin in that Triple Threat, even though I can see why they would want Jeff to pin a heel to win, a win over Triple H would've been much bigger.

I would've liked to see Jeff against Taker again, as Taker at least seems willing to give a little (as long as you don't give him shit about the dress code).

A rumor for tonight's TNA taping that will shake every diehard TNA fan down to their core. I was hyped at the "new direction", but this.. this is just.. read for yourselves.

-- It is rumored that an angle will run tonight where the 6-sided ring is destroyed, and then replaced with a traditional 4-sided ring.

They're replaying the live Impact on Thursday so they don't get destroyed by college football. Doesn't make sense to run the first Impact following Hogan's debut against the national title game.

I just finished watching Impact, and I've got to say this- though no moments made me mark out like I did when my favorite wrestler of all-time, Bret Hart, came out on Raw- Impact blew away Raw in terms of quality. Raw was a mediocre show made better by Hart's appearance, while Impact was a big time show through and through.

I was expecting Hulk Hogan, Scott Hall (who I still like) and Sean Waltman, but we got RIC FLAIR (who I never wanted to see wrestle again after WM24, though I'd like to see him face Sting), Jeff Hardy, and even Val Venis. Those were shockers. Oh, and fuck Orlando Jordan.

There were some good and bad booking decisions. Kong and fine ass Hamada winning the tag titles= good. ODB winning the women's title, giving Tara another 10 day reign, was bad. Why do they keep undercutting Tara like this? Speaking of which, why the hell did Desmond Wolfe job to the Pope? Is his "push" done already? The Lashley heel turn was beyond stupid and out of nowhere.

I'm still looking forward to where the Bret storyline goes, but Impact won their first Monday night war.

Orlando fucking Jordan? Pope ought to truly pimp slap that bitch. Dinero should be pushed. The fans freakin' love him and they are going to stack him up against Orlando Jordan? Jordan should go back to carrying JBLs duffel bag as that is what he's best at. I hate that Wolfe continues to loose, however. Why should we care if the guy can't get a victory. I'm not going to talk about the "legends convention" that was also supposedly going on in the same building as TNA was in last night. The main event was awesome, but now what do you do at the PPV?

lol.

After making his shocking return to TNA Wrestling at Monday night's live 3-hour iMPACT! special, Jeff Hardy has been dealt yet another legal setback.

Jeff Hardy's drug charges went to the grand jury yesterday in Moore County, North Carolina. A grand jury found that there is enough evidence to indict Hardy and the case has been sent to Superior Court, according to a spokesperson with the Moore County Court. The case will be officially set on their docket within the next week, according to PWInsider.com.

Hardy was arrested on September 11th, 2009 after police raided his home in Cameron, North Carolina. A joint investigation conducted by officers with the Moore County Sheriff's Office narcotics and select enforcement units and the Fayetteville Police Department led to the search. According to the police report, a search of his residence yielded 262 Vicodin prescription pills, 180 Soma prescription pills, 555 milliliters of anabolic steroids, a residual amount of powder cocaine and items of drug paraphernalia.He was charged with felony trafficking in opium, two counts of felony possession with intent to sell or deliver a Schedule III controlled substance, felony maintaining a dwelling to keep controlled substance, felony possession of cocaine and misdemeanor possession of drug paraphernalia.
Jeff was set for a probable cause hearing later this month to determine whether there was enough evidence to send the case to Superior Court, but it appears prosecutors opted to forgo that hearing and go right to the grand jury in order to move the case along.

Considering RAW was built around Bret's return with all those clips of Survivor Series, the whole night was like a time warp back to 1997.

Bret Hart! Shawn Michaels! The NWO! Bearded Hulk! Easy-E! Sting in the rafters! All shouted into my ears by Mike Tenay!

Last night was surreal.

I'm wondering what show all these people who loved Impact were actually watching. A VHS of a Nitro from 1996 or something? Insert your own joke here.

I check Google News throughout the day and this new Monday Night War is actually one of the top topics listed under the Sports category. So it's definitely generated some buzz in the "mainstream" away from your typical wrestling websites. After last night though, I'm seriously doubting anything major will happen and the quality of the products will actually go up.

Wow, I was expecting at least a high 2s rating. I guess people were tuned away after the first match and seeing Scott Hall and Sean Waltman?

[quote name='KaneRobot']I'm wondering what show all these people who loved Impact were actually watching. A VHS of a Nitro from 1996 or something? Insert your own joke here.[/QUOTE]

The TNA Knockout tag match was good and the main event between Angle and Styles was spectacular. There were definitely some "meh" moments, but there were just enough decent moments that I enjoyed it if for no other reason I didn't have to see DX and Hornswaggle.

[quote name='KaneRobot']I'm wondering what show all these people who loved Impact were actually watching. A VHS of a Nitro from 1996 or something? Insert your own joke here.[/QUOTE]

Says someone with a Desmond Wolfe XBL avatar.

;)

[quote name='Demolition Man']The early rating number for TNA is at 1.5 right now.[/QUOTE]

That's the perfect number to confound everything. People who think TNA shit the bed last night will say they couldn't draw half of what WWE does on a regular basis. On the other hand, TNA supporters will say they drew 150% of what they do on Thursdays since they started on Spike.

Worst of all, TNA booking will call it a success and continue to assemble shows with the pacing and forethought of someone with ADD hopped up on speed.

Why would anyone on the planet Earth realistically expect a high 2s rating for Impact? Sure, it was the biggest, most hyped Impact show, but they really didn't actually advertise anything of value except for Hogan's first appearance in the Impact Zone. The 1.5 rating is about what I expected - they did 1.2s for Foley's world title run, and Hogan should certainly bring in an increase from their past peak. If he hadn't, then he'd be done with this TNA experiment quickly.

As for
TNA getting rid of the six-sided ring, I don't really mind it. Sure, it's become a signature of the company, but it also looks really tiny on-screen and looks gimmicky to some. They were fine in a four-sided ring before, and they'll be fine now. Plus, they can always go back to it if/when Hogan leaves.

I had a fun time watching Impact, despite the stinky booking.

Some things I'm angry about:

- The opening match -- THE OPENING MATCH -- was retarded. (But, there was some cool stuff for casual viewers, I guess.)

- They didn't let the stuff unique to TNA shine. Well, except for their female wrestlers, I suppose.

- The Desmond Wolfe / Pope match should have been a barn burner, instead of a 3 minute match with a roll-up finish.

- Nasty Boys

- Orlando Jones

- Val Venis

- Mike Tenay and Taz did an extremely poor job of announcing and hyping things that were exciting. They should have been screaming when Hardy came out of the crowd.

- Lots and lots of confusing shit going on.

Orlando Jones:

doubletake___1.jpg

Orlando Jackson Jordan

orlandojordan.jpg

I'm okay with a Wolfe/Pope feud, especially if the first match ended quickly. Wolfe can claim it was a fluke, and they can have a longer match at the PPV.

EDIT. Goddammit. That's what I get for being a smartass.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='JJSP']Orlando Jones:

doubletake___1.jpg

Orlando Jackson

orlandojordan.jpg

I'm okay with a Wolfe/Pope feud, especially if the first match ended quickly. Wolfe can claim it was a fluke, and they can have a longer match at the PPV.[/QUOTE]

Orlando Jordan?

--------------------

Last night was the first time ever I actually sat down and watched TNA from start to finish, and those three hours were probably more than all the other times I've watched added together. I'll watch it next week, and maybe continue watching after that. I can't say it's better or worse than WWE right now, but it's something different. The women's tag match was spectacular, and so was the main event.

I've only watched half of RAW and none of Impact so far.. but that Bret segment made me mark the fuck out. My girl and I argued about what would happen.. she thought HBK was going to turn and I didn't. :lol:

Ha. Jones/Jackson/Jordan, doesn't matter. TNA will call him Blacula anyways for the way he sucks the life out of any match he's in.

So I was thinking... you know who we need to be the next guest host? Pete Rose. And maybe just happen to have Kane in the arena at the time... nothing bad can happen when you have Kane and Pete Rose together!

bread's done
Back