The WWE Is Entertainment Not Wrestling Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't think they're necessarily locked into putting Cena on the shelf for a year. There's way to many "maybe's" to say for certain what's going to happen. I think we'll have a more clear picture in the coming weeks about how things are going to go. As we've already seen from the next PPV poster (not spoiler tagging it anymore) Cena was the prominent face on the poster so they've obviously got something in mind for him. Its really not unheard of for the top face to switch heel (obviously the most notorious is Hogan to NWO, which propelled WCW through the roof but Stone Cold went heel for a while too).

So on and so forth, I'm not entirely cynical about the future prospects of WWE given last night's Raw. Who will Miz feud with? Who will Cena feud with? What are they gonna do with CM Punk? Etc. I say give it at least a couple more weeks to see where these things will go. The Raw after 'Mania is typically the epilogue, I'll see where the next few weeks take us before I start "the end is near" attitude. Patience, just patience...

Who does Cena even fued with in the meantime? HHH?

I wouldn't mind some promos throughout the year of Rock training for his return match, they could do it like the build for Angle Lesnar way back in the day showing them work out and all that.

I would have liked to have heard something about Taker's condition last night. I know he deserved a night off and that he won't be back for a while, but I would really like to have had Lawler or JR say something like he's at home resting or he's in the hospital in stable condition or whatever...

I also do not want to see HHH Taker 2. I thought Cena was going to be the next opponent for Taker.

Nobody is going to care about Rock Cena in a couple months. They should of done it at Summerslam. Either the match itself, or the announcement of the match. A year is way too long to build this correctly.

[quote name='masked lemon']

I also do not want to see HHH Taker 2.

[/QUOTE]

You mean HHH/Taker 3?

The only reasoning I can think of is that they sell WM tickets super early and they're probably concerned about slower ticket sales for this years show.

I suppose I should want Matt to win considering he's a Cleveland guy and also a CSU alum. It'll be hard though with his size. I've never seen him wrestle locally, but a lot of my buddies are fans. Speaking of the local wrestling, check out this nasty bump from AIW.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rqBMHVr3BG4 feature=player_embedded

Somehow I don't think the WWE is even going to wait until Mania 28 to have that Rock/Cena match. My bet is it'll still happen at Summerslam due to The Rock suddenly having "commitments" right around Mania 28 time.

you could easily still have Cena as champ at mania next year... cuz we all know the rock will be passing the torch in that match.

If they could get Rock to come in every 3 or 4 weeks to run in and fuck with Cena, it could be an interesting year. At least, if he disappears for 8 weeks and shows up to ruin Cena vs the Miz at the PPV in three months (what? you don't think Cena will be in the main event in three months, given that he's been there for 6 years straight?), that would be a pleasant surprise, and a reminder of the feud.

They could stop trying to convince us that "anything can happen" defines their programming (if, at the moment, "anything can happen" means "if by anything you mean 2 minute matches following 4 minutes of entrances"), and actually introduce an element of surprise into their show.

I'm not optimistic about it, and I'm interested where this leaves Cena - the crowd HEELED the shit out of him last night like I'd never heard before, and we all know the Rock is gone for a few months at least. Do they take him all the way, like they should? Can they repeat the success of turning crowd resentment into a top notch heel, like they did with the rock in 1997?

They've done some significant damage in exposing Cena, and they need to respond somehow.

The fact that they JUST gave Cena a new Kool-aid man shirt makes me think they aren't going to turn him heel right now. He's their money man, and they are already counting all the profits from her new shirt.

[quote name='Chronis']The fact that they JUST gave Cena a new Kool-aid man shirt makes me think they aren't going to turn him heel right now. He's their money man, and they are already counting all the profits from her new shirt.[/QUOTE]

Perhaps. Maybe the boos will die down once Rock disappears for a bit. Maybe they won't.

And I can't stop thinking "HOW ABOUT A NICE HAWAIIAN PUNCH?" and giggling to myself this morning.

lolpunk.jpg

jjmu6v.jpg

So was I the only one who saw Sin Cara fuck up his entrance?

Maybe they're going for a deal like Hollywood where he turned face during the match.

They only boo Cena when Rock is out there right now, it seems to me. In a few months, you won't be hearing boos. Especially if Rock isn't around.

And I guess they're going with Cena vs. The Corre now? maybe CM Punk can take over that group and run it into the ground too...

[quote name='masked lemon']
So was I the only one who saw Sin Cara fuck up his entrance?[/QUOTE]

Nope. I saw it too. Reminded me of Ultimo Dragon botching his WWE entrance and almost being engulfed in flames.

Sin Cara's now ranks up there with Ultimo Dragon, Goldberg, and Shock Master.

As soon as I saw Mistico's first WWE promo, I thought, "Wow, this guy has Kizarny written all over him." I don't care how big Mistico is around the world, and how great he is as a luchadore, WWE's promos grounded him even before he botched his ring entrance.

Truth.

In regards to John Cena turning heel, even though I have been a huge proponent of a Cena heel turn, I have come to agree with Myke: He's their last super-face cash-cow and there is no way they're turning him heel. What other feasible upper-midcard or main event faces do they have on their roster that could refresh the main event scene? Caveman-speak-words John Morrison? Justin Roberts? Christian? Kane? Kane?!

We all know that Rey Jr. has stated that he will most likely retire in a year or two. Undertaker is due to retire soon. Who knows how much more Big Show has left in him—and while I love Big Show, I don't want to see him in the main event. Randy Orton is much, much better—and is a natural—heel. Triple H will probably remain semi-active leading into WrestleMania 28. Guy is the senior advisor to Vince McMahon. I'd much rather see him behind-the-scenes than in the ring. Nosemeister McBangthebossesdaughter could do far more good in the back, and the product needs it.

This is like the NBA becoming a smaller league with less centers and more guards: Everyone wants to be a heel and it takes a special type of person with good enough ring and speaking skill to get over as a legitimate face.

That's another reason why Sin Cara will flop: He can't cut promos, and sports entertainment-type pro wrestlers working a face gimmick need to be able to cut promos. When has a face ever been a silent protagonist? If so, when has a face ever become a huge name while being working a silent protagonist gimmick? Even I can't recall anyone with that amount of unspoken charisma.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Chase']When has a face ever been a silent protagonist? If so, when has a face ever become a huge name while being working a silent protagonist gimmick? Even I can't recall anyone with that amount of unspoken charisma.[/QUOTE]
hrzf5h.jpg

Tough Enough is great, now that's what reality tv should be about, not who can balance a piece of shit on their nose. I'm looking at you NBC. Minute to win it is such trash

[quote name='KaneRobot']
[/QUOTE]

That is true. But Sting started off as a loud, vibrant face. He didn't debut as a mute, and he certainly wasn't wearing a mask that hid all of his emotions. The mask could use eyeholes, or something, to allow him to connect with fans. (Heck, they should have just let him use his Mistico mask.) Right now, he's just Kwang with style.

[quote name='2DMention']The next wrestling thread has to have a reference for the World Wildlife Federation[/QUOTE]

No It doesn't.

[quote name='Chase'] When has a face ever been a silent protagonist? If so, when has a face ever become a huge name while being working a silent protagonist gimmick? Even I can't recall anyone with that amount of unspoken charisma.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure Goldberg didn't cut an interview or anything for a while. It wasn't necessarily a silent gimmick, he just came in, kicked ass, then left. It was a long time before he gave an interview.

Sin Cara's trampoline jump didn't go perfectly, but it could've gone much worse, and he absolutely nailed that SUPER PLANCHA (as the Spanish announcers called it) on Sheamus.

[quote name='JaytheGamefan']Sin Cara's trampoline jump didn't go perfectly, but it could've gone much worse, and he absolutely nailed that SUPER PLANCHA (as the Spanish announcers called it) on Sheamus.[/QUOTE]

Can we get a review of that SUPER PLANCHA?

[quote name='dkreegz515']wwe has one guy that can wrestle sin cara's matches... and mysterio lost a step a long time ago...[/QUOTE]

Can't believe I'm saying this..but I miss the MexiCools right about now..(the wrestlers, not the gimmick)

Aside from Rey and Alberto, they've got Primo and Chavo would can probably work pretty well with Sin Cara - Primo did his first house show matches, and I'm sure they'll have Chavo work with him at some point.

[quote name='JaytheGamefan']Aside from Rey and Alberto, they've got Primo and Chavo would can probably work pretty well with Sin Cara - Primo did his first house show matches, and I'm sure they'll have Chavo work with him at some point.[/QUOTE]
I'm sure other guys could work well with him. My candidates include other flippy dudes like Morrison and Danielson.

Here's a nice interview with Marc "Muhammad Hassan" Copani: http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Wrestling/2011/03/27/17775686.html

And because that Tough Enough segment had me thinking, I wanna ask what everyone's favorite matches are. Mine is the Jeff Hardy/BikerTaker ladder match on Raw.

[quote name='Mr. Beef']Mine is the Jeff Hardy/BikerTaker ladder match on Raw.[/QUOTE]

God that was a great non-PPV match! I'm a sucker for spots and acrobatics. Favorite WWE match is the Sumerslam 2000 TLC match between the Dudley Boyz, the Hardy Boyz, and E&C. TNA wise, the cage match at TNA Turning Point in 2004 where Elix Skipper walked the cage into a hurricarana is still amazing to this day!

[quote name='Mr. Beef']Mine is the Jeff Hardy/BikerTaker ladder match on Raw.[/QUOTE]

You read my mind. not only that, but this comment came up a few hours agao at another forum. I'll C+P my response there:

My all-time favorite match is Jeff Hardy vs The Undertaker in a Ladder Match for the Undisputed Championship. This match has a real Rocky-esque feel to it with the underdog trying to prove he has what it takes to go toe-to-toe with the champ. JR's commentary during the match nearly brings me to tears whenever I watch it.

[quote name='Scorch']Eh.. Not that good of a sale.. Jericho's DVD is available on instant streaming[/QUOTE]

A lot of them are, but that's only disc 1 and the main feature at that. I'm getting it for Disc 2 and 3 with the matches and commentary.

Sheamus had the same reaction as me. "Who the f*ck are you?" Granted, I've known about Mistico but that debut had old school WCW written all over it.

[quote name='Chase']Right now, he's just Kwang with style.[/QUOTE]

You leave Savio Vega alone or Los Boricuas might show up and beat that ass.

[quote name='Psykoboy2']I *think* amazon is having a sale on WWE DVDs...not Blu-Rays, but just DVDs. However, all I could find were 5 of them when clicking on the link offered.

Anyway, I'm grabbing the Jericho DVD for $11.[/QUOTE]Great choice! Best $11 you'll spend all year on a DVD. It's an absolutely fantastic set.

---

I struck ROH gold today at one of my favorite second-hand store. Got these for $2 a piece:

Violent Tendencies
End Of An Age
SoCal Showdown
Champions' Challenge
Tag Title Classic II

Looking forward to sitting down and watching these bad boys.

The Jericho set is worth $11 just for the wacky music video for the Thrillseekers at the arcade. Favorite match...I'll go with Flair-Funk from the '89 GAB.

Randy Savage vs Ricky Steamboat from Wrestlemania 3. I can go back and watch that any time. Ohhhhhh yeahhhhh

Razor vs Shawn, WMX.
Benoit vs Angle, Royal Rumble...2003? 2001? Whichever one had the fucking awful Steiner/HHH match.
Taker/Angle No Way Out (2006?)
HBK/Jericho, WMXIX.
Steamboat/Flair, Chi-Town Rumble

Must be others, but I can't think right now. Razor/HBK tops the list for me, though.

I think one of my favorites has been Flair vs Steamboat 2 out of 3 falls at the Clash. I was a broke lad and so we never got ppv when I was young, so to see an awesome match like that on free TV with a ton of friends in living room was something special.

[quote name='mykevermin']Clash of the Champions were fuckin' *AWESOME* to watch on TBS. Main event quality matches live on Wednesday nights. Oh, man.[/QUOTE]

Haha, I was about to post literally the exact same post.

The Clash of the Champions were a BIG fuckIN' DEAL at my grandparents' when I was little. I only got to watch wrestling at their house when I was a wee one (late 80s) because we didn't have cable, so if it happened on a weekday my grandmother would tape it for me.

The first CotC was particularly memorable since that's where Sting first made his name with his 45 minute draw with Flair. Sounds crazy but at that time a 45 minute draw was epic when it was done right.

I was talking to Jim Cornette for just a minute at the ROH show and we were talking about the Midnight Express/Fantastics CotC match that ended in a huge brawl. Jim Ross was calling it and it was just incredible. A match with the Fantastics! I know it sounds ridiculous but they were a pretty hot tag team at that time.

Bret Hart/Steve Austin, Wrestlemania 13. I loved their whole feud, the double turn was fantastic, and the promo videos they shot with Austin still give me chills.

"They say you dream in black and white, Bret..."

On the topic of CotC, I absolutely LOVED the elevated aisle they used. Always made it feel like a big time deal.

Best match of all time for me has to be HBK Taker 1. That or HBK Flair. I still get goosebumps reading shawn's lips saying I love you, I'm sorry, before the final Superkick. We will never get a sendoff like that again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back