Thrift Store Thread 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
at good will i found what i think is a complete set of the twilight zone on vhs the ones from the cbs library that where released in the late 80s its total of 29 tapes i paid $16 for them all

Apparently someone dropped their retro collection off at my Goodwill. Unfortunately it was about 95% throwaway games, I did snag some good stuff, though:

Ninja Gaiden II (NES)
Ducktales (NES)
TMNT: The Arcade Game (NES)
Joe & Mac (SNES)
Shadowrun (Genesis)

All were $2.00 each.

I left about 30 other games behind, the vast majority of them being licensed titles from LJN (and those are never very good, although I rented their Wolverine game several billion times as a kid).

On top of that I also picked up:

Microsoft Train Simulator (PC) Complete In Box for $2.00

Went to the goodwill while waiting for a friend to finish some errands and didn't see much but as I was leaving I saw a bag with a GBA in it and upon closer inspection it had a bunch of pokemon games with it! Got everything for $14.99 (the gba needed a new battery but started right up and the screen is mint!) so pokemon red, silver, emerald, and leaf green. (and kingdom hearts). Also if anyone knows what the grey thing is (it plugs into the gba and has a slot for gba games and ds games on it) let me know!
gbau.jpg

[quote name='Kid Fresh']Went to the goodwill while waiting for a friend to finish some errands and didn't see much but as I was leaving I saw a bag with a GBA in it and upon closer inspection it had a bunch of pokemon games with it! Got everything for $14.99 (the gba needed a new battery but started right up and the screen is mint!) so pokemon red, silver, emerald, and leaf green. (and kingdom hearts). Also if anyone knows what the grey thing is (it plugs into the gba and has a slot for gba games and ds games on it) let me know![/QUOTE]

They gray thing is an action replay for the DS. I used to have one but it broke haha.

ah thanks! It had no name or anything on it so i was confused. If you want mine I'll send it to you for a couple bucks (for shipping) or something just pm me

The one thrift store by me that I found some good shit at a couple of times is either closed for good or the people running it didn't come in to open it today due to the snow/ice storm last night.:cry:

Finally found something at the new Goodwill that opened by my house-

Taiko drum master bundle for PS2 (SEALED) $14.99.

[quote name='lude21']Finally found something at the new Goodwill that opened by my house-

Taiko drum master bundle for PS2 (SEALED) $14.99.[/QUOTE]

Nice. It's $20 used, but I have no idea how much it is new.

Another killer get. I only hit two stores instead of my planned 10-15 cuz this haul was fine.

Ice Blue Gameboy Pocket- $7.50
Two bags of Pokemon cards (about 1000) - $8.00
Street Fighter Collection Sega Saturn - $2 (Wow!)
PS2 External 40 GB Harddrive - $5
Total - $22.50
IMG_2531.jpg

Had a few good finds today.

First we went to the Goodwill Outlet (pay by the pound) and unfortunately, the video game competition has gotten pretty fierce. A find here or there is about it, thanks to one of the other fellow resellers having an insider telling them what bin the games are going to be in at changeover. Bitch always heads straight for a particular bin and yanks out a box of video game stuff. But anyways....

I did manage to score a few pairs of brand new Nike Air Jordan Retros ($100+ shoes) for about a buck a pair. We also managed to find a complete and working Imaginext "Spike the Ultra Dinosaur" ($150+) for a few bucks.

Went to a regular Goodwill and picked up Digimon Worlds (PSX) and Monster Rancher (PSX) both complete for $3 each.

Heading up to my Goodwill tomorrow for the first time (A new store was just built). Hopefully I can find some good cheap video games there :)

Will post tomorrow if I did or not

bustagroove2.jpg

I had a great score today, found Bust A Groove for the PS1 for $1.99, complete and in pretty good condition

I love you Thrift Stores!

KOTOR 1 and 2 - $10
Mega Man The Wily Wars - $2
Pokemon Yellow - $6
Pokemon Silver - $6
Link's Awakening DX - $6
Complete SNES (mostly got it for the inserts mint in the plastic bag) - $25

IMG_0226.jpg

[quote name='wheels']
bustagroove2.jpg

I had a great score today, found Bust A Groove for the PS1 for $1.99, complete and in pretty good condition[/QUOTE]

Nice!

[quote name='Doomstink']How the hell did you manage to find Wily Wars at a thrift store?![/QUOTE]

That was actually some random pawn shop that I was going to ignore but then decided to amble in too. I threw that sucker up on ebay

And a few more decent finds.

All from the Goodwill Outlet (pay by the pound).

NES:
King of Kings
Exodus
Bible Adventures
^^Wisdom Tree, Black cart, semi-rare
Rainbow Island
Mickey Mousecapades
M.C. Kids

PSX:
Namco PSX Joy Stick
Sesame Street Sports (sealed)

Misc:
Ugly Betty Season 1

Total paid = ~$5.

[quote name='GUNNM']Who the hell pawns wily wars[/QUOTE]

I don't know, but I had no idea what it was really worth until I got home. I almost didn't buy it. I would love to know the story behind it too. It was at a pawn shop about an hour outside of Los Angeles in a city I never go to.

[quote name='GUNNM']Lucky. I would have kept it tbh but thats just me[/QUOTE]

I debated keeping it but I don't collect games. It's in fucking immaculate condition too. I will say the cover art is all kinds of awesome.

[quote name='GUNNM']Yeah I saw your ebay listing looks good.

Well I assume its yours, only one wily wars is listed.[/QUOTE]

Yup. it's mine.

Not from a thrift store but rather a flea market type place around here, but what is a TurboGrafx 16 controller worth?

It had no pricetag on it and the guy running the stand wasn't there, but it's one of these mega flea/reseller places that has centrally located registers where sellers barcode all their shit and the place sells for them when they're not there.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Not from a thrift store but rather a flea market type place around here, but what is a TurboGrafx 16 controller worth?

It had no pricetag on it and the guy running the stand wasn't there, but it's one of these mega flea/reseller places that has centrally located registers where sellers barcode all their shit and the place sells for them when they're not there.[/QUOTE]

About $10.

Finally found a SNES, which I've been waiting for for about ever. $5.95 for just the console (with a Genesis AV cable taped to it) with no controller or games, so I had to leave it. Meanwhile there was a barebones OG Xbox behind the counter for $79.99. Their quality of pricing has gone way downhill, they also wanted $49.99 for a used Meet the Beatles LP.

[quote name='Survivalism']Finally found a SNES, which I've been waiting for for about ever. $5.95 for just the console (with a Genesis AV cable taped to it) with no controller or games, so I had to leave it. Meanwhile there was a barebones OG Xbox behind the counter for $79.99. Their quality of pricing has gone way downhill, they also wanted $49.99 for a used Meet the Beatles LP.[/QUOTE]
:rofl: The one thrift store down the line from me gets in untested Xbox systems all the time and prices them like $12-13. It'd be a halfway decent gamble if every one of them I've seen there didn't have all of the screws to open the console exposed, meaning someone likely tried opening it and possibly screwed it up.

As for the SNES, I found one sans AV and power cable a while back. It had a hole in the case under the first controller port but worked great. I think they gave it to me for $2 after I mentioned it wasn't complete.

But I'm still kicking myself for not having the money on me the one day when the same store had like 2 SNES systems, 2 NES(including one top loader) and I think a fat model Genesis with no wires for $15 total. All of the other systems besides the Genny had wires and I think there was even a stack of games in the box.:bomb:

Oh and thanks for the heads up on the price of the TG-16 controller elessar123. If I'm back in the same area again soon I'll grab it if the guy doesn't want an arm and a leg for it.

Finally some stuff. Went to 3 GWs, only needed the first one. $22- Aventures of Link gold cartridge, Legend of Zelda gold cartridge, Mike Tysons Punchout, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles2 Arcade Game, and Wizards and Warriors for NES. Passed on 2 Genesis's $15 each, 2 Xbox's $20 each, a Gamecube $10, bunch of sports games for Genesis and SNES $4 each, some sticky ass Genesis controllers $4 each, and some other NES games. Those systems didnt have cables or controllers included btw.

Goodwill:
Windows Vista Upgrade - $9.99
Windows XP 2002 Version - $9.99
Star Wars Rebel Assault II PC CIB - $3.99

Surprised to find the OS's there, they're the retail versions, not OEM and both have the product keys.

Went to a couple Good Wills today, didn't find a whole lot but I was happy with what I did find:

PS1 Einhander - $3.81, no scratches but one small smudge on the disc that I'm trying to figure out if it's marker or something else. All the inserts/booklet are pristine and it looks brand new in the new CD case I put it in.

PS1 Need For Speed High Stakes - $3.81, everything great except the case which I already replaced

:pc: Grand Theft Auto Mission Pack #1: London 1969 Collector's Edition, sealed
Not sure why someone would either a) donate this by itself or b) buy the others and leave this. It's part of the new PC set they made. My guess is the Good Will employees marked each CD case and then put them all out and someone came along and bought GTA 1 & 2 but left this

:pc: Adobe PhotoShop 6.0 - $3.24, good condition
I know this is an older version of PhotoShop, but I learned on PhotoShop 4.0 and in high school I did the majority of the work for my graphics design class in PhotoShop 6.0, so I am very familiar with it. I have been using a copy of the school's version that my teacher gave me in high school years and years ago, but now I actually have my own legit copy :lol:

:ps2: Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance Strategy Guide - $1
bought this on a whim. I don't even own the game, but it was laying at the cash register when I was checking out and I just threw it on my stack. Has some, maybe slightly excessive, shelf wear and unfortunately I didn't notice that the back cover was creased until I left the store.

Seeing the finds people are posting makes me wish my podunk area had any thrift stores that had stuff worth a crap.
The Goodwill in town either closed or didn't want to renew their lease, but were replaced with a much more expensive "thrift" store that priced everything insanely.
We have another thrift store that's a block from where my nephews go to school, and is on the way to our Kmart, but from what I understand their stuff is all gold to them.

I will say though, one of the nicer pickups that came from a thrift store is my current dresser. It's got a few scuffs, but it's pretty nice. I didn't pick it out or anything but apparently it was $50. It's nothing fancy or intricate, but I like it. I'm a cheapass about furniture and I would have paid $50 for it.

Next time I'm home I'll have to hit up the thrift stores and see if they have anything. I highly doubt I'll find anything of value, though.

Congrats to everyone on their finds though!

Picked up Marvel vs Capcom Clash of super heros w/o manual - 1.99

Only problem is that the disc seems to have gone through some buffer system, but it works fine

Finally, after months and months of close to nothing, I had a great find today in a local thrift. After roaming around, finding nothing of note besides some crappy Sega Genesis and PS1 sports titles, and a Wang Chung CD that I wanted, I was walking toward the check out when amongst some random electronics I find this

dsc00118rq.jpg

So after inspecting the contents and seeing that everything was there, I walked out of the store with one of the hardest to find NES accessories and the even harder to find box and manual, for only 5 dollars. In my 15 years of collecting for the NES, this is easily amongst my top 5 finds, and especially shocking since the second hand market for NES games has just about dried up completely over the last few years. But just when you think that everything there is to own is already in collectors hands, or available for sale on eBay, you find this.

Also, afterwards, I went to Goodwill where I picked up a brick Game Boy with Tetris for only 4 dollars. I was very happy with that, especially since it booted right up when I put some batteries in.

[quote name='spmahn']Finally, after months and months of close to nothing, I had a great find today in a local thrift. After roaming around, finding nothing of note besides some crappy Sega Genesis and PS1 sports titles, and a Wang Chung CD that I wanted, I was walking toward the check out when amongst some random electronics I find this

dsc00118rq.jpg

So after inspecting the contents and seeing that everything was there, I walked out of the store with one of the hardest to find NES accessories and the even harder to find box and manual, for only 5 dollars. In my 15 years of collecting for the NES, this is easily amongst my top 5 finds, and especially shocking since the second hand market for NES games has just about dried up completely over the last few years. But just when you think that everything there is to own is already in collectors hands, or available for sale on eBay, you find this.

Also, afterwards, I went to Goodwill where I picked up a brick Game Boy with Tetris for only 4 dollars. I was very happy with that, especially since it booted right up when I put some batteries in.[/QUOTE]

Nice find!

Heads up for SOCAL PEEPS.

Westminster's Goodwill has a brand new sealed copy of Wii Super Mario All-Stars Limited Edition for $29.99.

[quote name='postaboy']Heads up for SOCAL PEEPS.

Westminster's Goodwill has a brand new sealed copy of Wii Super Mario All-Stars Limited Edition for $29.99.[/QUOTE]

why dont you buy it?

Another thrift store massacre. I'm not 100% on the value of these so any insight would be great. All of them are sealed. There is one Seaquest cart open but the rest have the SEGA sticker still intact. Were Mega Drive Carts sealed in plastic too?:
IMG_0621.jpg

[quote name='moop2001']Another thrift store massacre. I'm not 100% on the value of these so any insight would be great. All of them are sealed. There is one Seaquest cart open but the rest have the SEGA sticker still intact. Were Mega Drive Carts sealed in plastic too?:
[/QUOTE]

Just a quick glance at completed listings on ebay shows a copy of Sea Quest on the Mega Drive having sold for 25 GBP or about $40 on Dec 30. :applause:

[quote name='TedwardRoberts']Just a quick glance at completed listings on ebay shows a copy of Sea Quest on the Mega Drive having sold for 25 GBP or about $40 on Dec 30. :applause:[/QUOTE]

That's what I was seeing too. I got the Seaquest's for $10 each so I think I'm good on those. I'm also just wondering about them being sealed as well.

I few good finds yesterday.

From the GW Outlet (pay per pound):

Digimon Worlds (PSX), just missing the cover art
Microsoft Digital Image Suite 10, complete in original box
Sega Genesis Batter Up! baseball bat controller, still sealed.

And from a regular GW:

Rockband 3 Keyboard bundle :360:, Packaging was opened and ripped up a bit, but game is still sealed and the keyboard looks untouched. - $60

[quote name='detectiveconan16']One Goodwill I went too was selling a Gamecube with a Wavebird, and they wanted $100 for it.[/QUOTE]

Goodwill has no common sense when it comes to video games.

[quote name='The Punisher']Great find!
U know what would be great to find, a NES gyromit Robot with the flying disc.[/QUOTE]

What, like this?

It's not complete, but I only paid $10 for it. Found it lying in a warehouse I was digging through. Also got several hundred new OOP DVDs from the same warehouse. In any case, I had no idea how good the ROB find was until I looked it up.

A NIB NES Deluxe Set (which includes R.O.B.) went for $1,500 about a month or so ago. Kinda regret not buying it. :(

[quote name='Doomstink']What, like this?

It's not complete, but I only paid $10 for it. Found it lying in a warehouse I was digging through. Also got several hundred new OOP DVDs from the same warehouse. In any case, I had no idea how good the ROB find was until I looked it up.[/QUOTE]

Beautiful find. I found mine at a flea market for $15 with box also, but mine came with the second gyro and the spinning base that also connects to R.O.B. mine did not come with the manual though.

[quote name='zlatour']Beautiful find. I found mine at a flea market for $15 with box also, but mine came with the second gyro and the spinning base that also connects to R.O.B. mine did not come with the manual though.[/QUOTE]

Yes. This is the one.It was cool back in the day. Does the disc still hold in the hand? This brings back memories.... This and good old duck hunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back