Thrift Store Thread 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
The local Book-Off was having a sale, so we went in to see what the sale was. It wasn't on anything we bought, but they did have new stuff (we were just there on Thursday, and we went back on Saturday because we were a day early for the sale).

Found (neither of these were really any good):
:xbox:Red Ninja - $5
:xbox:Oddworld - $5
...and
:gc:Skies of Arcadia - $3 (No manual, unfortunately, which wasn't labeled as such. But at $3, I'm not complaining.)

Can we do flea markets too?

Was at the flea market today, which I haven't been to in a while, and, after looking under the tables in the back corner of a new games shop there, found a box with 3 Ataris and a bunch of controllers, chords, accessories, etc. Only one of them worked but it was in beautiful condition, not a scratch on it. I had almost no cash on me at the time, but the guy agreed to hold it for me until this coming week. Going to get the console, 2 joystick controllers, and one game of my choice (going to grab one of the dozen or so which were in the original box) for $30.

Good deal? Not sure what else I should look for, though. Never actually played an atari until today when I tested it there.

in 2 of my recent trips to GW i found

windows 98 2nd edition NIB 3.95
Warcraft all 3 expansions 3.95
Star Wars saga edition chess set 1.95

[quote name='aptanor']Can we do flea markets too?

Was at the flea market today, which I haven't been to in a while, and, after looking under the tables in the back corner of a new games shop there, found a box with 3 Ataris and a bunch of controllers, chords, accessories, etc. Only one of them worked but it was in beautiful condition, not a scratch on it. I had almost no cash on me at the time, but the guy agreed to hold it for me until this coming week. Going to get the console, 2 joystick controllers, and one game of my choice (going to grab one of the dozen or so which were in the original box) for $30.

Good deal? Not sure what else I should look for, though. Never actually played an atari until today when I tested it there.[/QUOTE]

Depends if you want to get into Atari or not. I've found whole boxes of Atari systems and games in the $5-10 range (even passed on one that had a dozen CIBs for $20; I hesitated and another guy walked up and nabbed them). However if you get a system that works (hasn't been used) and serves you well for a long time, you're golden. If it craps out in 15 minutes then you're unfortunately screwed unless you have "teh technical knowledge."

[quote name='aptanor']Can we do flea markets too?

Good deal? Not sure what else I should look for, though. Never actually played an atari until today when I tested it there.[/QUOTE]

IMHO $30 is WAY too much for an Atari 2600. You can get one on eBay with a dozen or so games for < $20. If you've never played Atari 2600 before, and only have experience with the post-NES era of gaming, then you're probably going to be disappointed, it doesn't hold up well at all, and only really appeals to the crowd who played it back when it originally came out.

[quote name='aptanor']Good deal? Not sure what else I should look for, though. Never actually played an atari until today when I tested it there.[/QUOTE]

$30 for a 2600 with one game isn't really any kind of a deal so I would only recommend doing it if you want it for yourself. Be sure you tested everything, I personally use Missle Command to test out joysticks and Combat to test and make sure that all of the levers on the system work as they should. If some of the levers don't work on the system or give you anything more then a little trouble working I would suggest passing at $30 if the guy won't come down on his price.

Tested it out there and everything worked perfectly, and yeah I want it for myself. Just seems like an interesting piece to have for a collection.

I've been looking around ebay. I'm surprised CIBs for a console so old don't go for more.

[quote name='aptanor']Tested it out there and everything worked perfectly, and yeah I want it for myself. Just seems like an interesting piece to have for a collection.

I've been looking around ebay. I'm surprised CIBs for a console so old don't go for more.[/QUOTE]

The Atari 2600 is literally the most common console available, and by the mid 80's, stores couldn't give the consoles and games away for free, in fact I can clearly remember still seeing 2600 stuff in the equivalent of the Wal-Mart dump bins as late as 1993 / 1994, LONG after Atari was dead. There is also very low demand for 2600 items because quite frankly the games suck, and while fans of the console might call this blasphemous, there is very little on it that is fun to play in 2011. Even in its heyday, Atari 2600 was a dog when compared to it's competitors like Colecovision or Intellivision, let alone comparing it to the PC or Arcade games of the day, so there's very little demand for very common items, leaving the price for most items at nil, except for the rarest of rarities.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stopped by local salvation Army today and found the Fallout 3 collectors lunch box for .49 cent plus tax. also picked up a few books i have been wanting to read!
(could not find bobble head , art book , and the making of disk but, still a pretty good score for .49 cents!)

Today i got Dino Crisis 2 and Incredible Crisis for PS1 both for $1.99 each at a random thrift store, also got a copy of RC Pro Am for the NES for $1.99 to add to the collection, that game is still fun.

I found(but didn't buy) a copy of
iconbluraypng.png
Waiting yesterday at a Salvation Army a bit further off for $4.99.

They also had a scratched up copy of :pc:Two Worlds: Epic Edition for $5.99.:roll:

I am so going to the Goodwill soon now. We have one, but my gramma said it mainly has clothes. I'm still searching in there, never been there, I WILL SOON! AND I WILL TELL YOU WHAT I GOT!

:ps2: Mortal Kombat Armageddon
:ps2: Armored Core: Silent Line
:pc: Half Life GOTY
:pc: Warcraft III + Frozen Throne

About $13 after my coupon from donating. Passed on :pc: Star Wars KOTOR cause I already have it for xbox.

went to 3 GWs today and got some goodies, NES system only that had Mario Bros2 inside for $5 and Castlevania Legacy of Darkness and Snowboard Kids2 for $4 each. i did buy 4 bundles of games off ebay since i dont see that thread, 19 n64 games and 21 nes games for $85 total (that includes all the shipping charges btw). $2.13 a game isnt bad at all when i would buy them for $4 at Goodwill. Looks like on a good day those 2 N64 games go for $20 apiece so thats great news.

Last edited by a moderator:
Definitely.

I need to visit some Goodwills, but there's only donation center's close to me. The closest retail store is 30 minutes away.

My thrift store finds:

Soul Calibur II-$4.00
Morrowind-$4.00 i dont think it was ever used everything was mint and even came with the poster
Zelda II with slipcover-$2.00
Nes Controller-$2.00
Royal Rumble-$1.50 just bought it because its my first genesis find that came with a manual.

SAM_0580.jpg

Heres the topping of my finds-$8.00

SAM_0584.jpg

Too lazy for pics, but...

Stopped at the Salvation Army. Picked up WWF Raw, Killer Instinct and Bugs Bunny Crazy Castle 2 for the Gameboy for $1.50 each. I got my nephews Gameboy Colors so these will go to them.

Then hit up a little thrift store that opened across the street. Lots of nice stuff, but I was pretty low on cash.

Snagged Red Pokemon to finish my oldest nephews GBC Pokemon collection for $2. For myself, I snagged a copy of Super Mario RPG for $3. All the games were in great shape. At first I thought someone just took the time to clean them, but the stickers and casings and everything are all great looking.

Between the pawn and GW Outlet, I had a pretty good weekend.

At teh pawn, I picked up (All NES):
Kirby's Adventure
Felix the Cat
Bartman Meets Radioactive Man

All for $1 each.

At the GW Outlet, I found: A PSX Asciiware fight stick, a Sega Saturn Arcade stick and a disc only copy of Ehrgeiz. Cost for those was roughly $3 total. I found a bunch of other really cool stuff, but those are the three that I can think of right now.

[quote name='Fallen_Shadow94']My thrift store finds:

Soul Calibur II-$4.00
Morrowind-$4.00 i dont think it was ever used everything was mint and even came with the poster
Zelda II with slipcover-$2.00
Nes Controller-$2.00
Royal Rumble-$1.50 just bought it because its my first genesis find that came with a manual.

SAM_0580.jpg

Heres the topping of my finds-$8.00

SAM_0584.jpg
[/QUOTE]
Are you by Pomona CA?

[quote name='Fallen_Shadow94']Yea? How did you know[/QUOTE]

I saw that Pete statue at the that thrift store. I didn't pick it up cuz I mostly just flip and it wasn't cost effective. I've been getting some good scores in that area too. I'm from LA but I like to go to areas outside of LA.

[quote name='moop2001']I saw that Pete statue at the that thrift store. I didn't pick it up cuz I mostly just flip and it wasn't cost effective. I've been getting some good scores in that area too. I'm from LA but I like to go to areas outside of LA.[/QUOTE]

oh nice you didnt pick up a sega genesis fightstick from there did you?
have you ever seen a nes/snes there? do you know any good areas by there to pick one up? sorry about the questions ive never known about any cag in my area

[quote name='Fallen_Shadow94']oh nice you didnt pick up a sega genesis fightstick from there did you?
have you ever seen a nes/snes there? do you know any good areas by there to pick one up? sorry about the questions ive never known about any cag in my area[/QUOTE]

The few times I was there, I wasn't impressed with their wares and I've never seen any consoles. The same with the surrounding thrift stores as far as consoles are concerned. It's all about luck and persistence. Ya just got to keep going.

Some thrift store finds (thanks for the marker pricing Goodwill!) All for about $60
IMG_0936.jpg

How abut this weird thing in a thrift store?
IMG_0937.jpg

Here's the plaque on it:
IMG_0939.jpg

When I was opening this I expected to find some type of Game Boy. Imagine my surprise when this little fella popped out. I had never played it before and I need to replace the internal battery it's kinda cool.
IMG_0940.jpg

Had another day in interesting finds at the GW Outlet, but this is by far the most interesting:
DSCN0088.jpg

Yeah, Lightspan Series of programs for the Playstation. I don't think it's the whole set, but there are 70 discs.

Had a nice Goodwill find after a trio of lackluster yardsales.

Digimon World 1 (Disc Only, but with a Like New surface)
Edit: Actually my dreams were a bit shattered on this one, there's minor top disc scratches which seem to render this unplayable :bomb:

I'm still in the black though thanks to the death of a generous Industrial junkie. After sifting through four stacks of A Perfect Circle singles and burns (seeing one in a Tool Lateralus case was a bummer) I came away with the following:

KMFDM - Symbols
KMFDM - Xtort (These two save me some downloads on Megalomaniac and Dogma).
Ministry - The Land of Rape and Honey
Sister Machinegun - Revolution
Sister Machinegun - Sins of the Flesh

As an added bonus, both of the Sister Machinegun CDs appear to be autographed by Chris Randall! Actually that might be the perk that saves my ass on this one, total paid was $19.08

Last edited:
I went back to dig myself a bigger hole (perhaps) on CDs.

A Perfect Circle - 3 Libras (Feel My Ice Version)
A Perfect Circle - The Hollow
A Perfect Circle - 3 Libras (All Main Courses Version)

Singles usually aren't my thing, but these are all UK imports and seem to be hard to find. For nine bucks I'm jumping on the funhouse ride.

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']I went back to dig myself a bigger hole (perhaps) on CDs.

A Perfect Circle - 3 Libras (Feel My Ice Version)
A Perfect Circle - The Hollow
A Perfect Circle - 3 Libras (All Main Courses Version)

Singles usually aren't my thing, but these are all UK imports and seem to be hard to find. For nine bucks I'm jumping on the funhouse ride.[/QUOTE]

My Good Will has some A Perfect Circle CDs and I always get excited when I see them until I remember that some asshole stole the CDs and left the cases. :bomb:

[quote name='blindinglights']My Good Will has some A Perfect Circle CDs and I always get excited when I see them until I remember that some asshole stole the CDs and left the cases. :bomb:[/QUOTE]

Any titles in particular you're looking for? I have a spare Mer De Noms in Like New condition I wouldn't mind clearing $2.50-$3 on. I've got a whole box of rock and metal CDs too set up at yard sale prices, but it's tough to do much with Good Will CDs being that they're already priced at $3 each.

Ah grasshopper, sometimes when the case winds up empty it can be prudent to take it up to the cashier and offer them 50 cents. Then you may be able to get a disc-only on the cheap elsewhere. Not that this is going to happen with my Lateralus XD

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']Any titles in particular you're looking for? I have a spare Mer De Noms in Like New condition I wouldn't mind clearing $2.50-$3 on. I've got a whole box of rock and metal CDs too set up at yard sale prices, but it's tough to do much with Good Will CDs being that they're already priced at $3 each.

Ah grasshopper, sometimes when the case winds up empty it can be prudent to take it up to the cashier and offer them 50 cents. Then you may be able to get a disc-only on the cheap elsewhere. Not that this is going to happen with my Lateralus XD[/QUOTE]

I have all of the APC music on my computer from ripping my friends and family members' music collections, I just like having the physical copies if I can get them cheap. My area Good Will stores hand out 20% off coupons for donations so I pick up music CDs for $2.40. I appreciate the offer, but I doubt you can beat that price + my patience :).

I have bought empty cases for video games, but never for music CDs because I thought the chances of me running across disc only copies for music were lower.

Only PS2 sports games at my local thrift shop lately. However, I was able to snag a bag of old Little People for $2.50. I'm only half through selling the bag on Ebay and I've already cleared $30.00

Here are a few kinds to look for:

ebaypictures004.jpg

ebaypictures011.jpg

ebaypictures010.jpg
ebaypictures007.jpg

Just another thing to try and find. They're not as fun as games but the return on investment is pretty darned good.

I still have a good two months before garage sale season starts here in Minnesota. fuck 'n winter.

[quote name='willynateDgreat']Only PS2 sports games at my local thrift shop lately. However, I was able to snag a bag of old Little People for $2.50. I'm only half through selling the bag on Ebay and I've already cleared $30.00[/QUOTE]

Are the old ones worth more? We bought some extremely cheap sets for GF's niece (like $5 total for 2 sets worth $70 used), so I never bothered looking at older ones.

[quote name='blindinglights']I have all of the APC music on my computer from ripping my friends and family members' music collections, I just like having the physical copies if I can get them cheap. My area Good Will stores hand out 20% off coupons for donations so I pick up music CDs for $2.40. I appreciate the offer, but I doubt you can beat that price + my patience :).

I have bought empty cases for video games, but never for music CDs because I thought the chances of me running across disc only copies for music were lower.[/QUOTE]

$2.40 would be do-able, but it would be in the realm of my 50 cent each "I was a former radio station engineer, now I'm having a yardsale" scores.

@lmz00: Hammer is something I've never seen in the wild! Probably have as much chance coming across that as you finding Hawkwind CDs, lol. Good to link up the brains though; I probably would have never thought of looking at textbooks or sealed boardgames until I read posts by schultzed and others.

Well, I mean, I want those for me, not to flip, although they are rare enough (at least Gaining Momentum is). I bid $50 for one (a variation with 3 mixes, opposed to the "real" one, which has 11) a few weeks ago, and to my surprise, got outbid, although that guy that won would've had it for $12 had I not bid. :(

Damn him to hell.
R-1321560-1221496237.jpeg

[quote name='sp00ge']Had another day in interesting finds at the GW Outlet, but this is by far the most interesting:
DSCN0088.jpg

Yeah, Lightspan Series of programs for the Playstation. I don't think it's the whole set, but there are 70 discs.[/QUOTE]
I've seen those games(in the plastic sleeves only) up on both ShopGoodwill.com and at the one local flea market they made in an old WalMart by here. Both times there were only around 30 games in the sets I saw.

I tried searching for them on VGPC.com to no avail though.:cry:

I found the dirtiest Super Nintendo I've ever seen with 2 controllers and power supply for $14.99, i've been waiting a while find one of these, I also grabbed the only game they had Bassin's Black Bass for $1.99 inorder to test out the console and it works great, the picture is after cleaning it.

Also found an N64 with 2 controllers for $20, and Mario Party 2 for N64 for $5, already sold it and it paid for the SNES that becomes part of the collection, now time to find some SNES games
496430a6.jpg

[quote name='wheels']I found the dirtiest Super Nintendo I've ever seen with 2 controllers and power supply for $14.99, i've been waiting a while find one of these, I also grabbed the only game they had Bassin's Black Bass for $1.99 inorder to test out the console and it works great, the picture is after cleaning it.

Also found an N64 with 2 controllers for $20, and Mario Party 2 for N64 for $5, already sold it and it paid for the SNES that becomes part of the collection, now time to find some SNES games
496430a6.jpg
[/QUOTE]
man your lucky ive been looking for one for so long that i just started to buy the games in hope that i find one

[quote name='Fallen_Shadow94']man your lucky ive been looking for one for so long that i just started to buy the games in hope that i find one[/QUOTE]
The one independent thrift store down the line from me had a SNES for $4 last week, but after looking inside it it was super filthy and the power connector port was messed up on it.

[quote name='kube00']I'll keep an eye out for little people. I wonder if my local goodwills are open tomorrow?[/QUOTE]

Most of them are open on "holidays" especially the lesser ones like president's day.

[quote name='kube00']Excellent, anyone ever buy from shopgoodwill.com?[/QUOTE]

No, but that complete Ducktales 2, Ducktales, and Rescue Rangers 2 lot is pretty fucking awesome.

[quote name='elessar123']Are the old ones worth more? We bought some extremely cheap sets for GF's niece (like $5 total for 2 sets worth $70 used), so I never bothered looking at older ones.[/QUOTE]

Yea - the newer "chunky" ones aren't worth much. I believe the older, smaller ones play into the Baby Boomer and Gen X nostalgia factor; people who had them when they were kids get them for their kids.

[quote name='kube00']Excellent, anyone ever buy from shopgoodwill.com?[/QUOTE]
I did, but it was a long time ago. I factor in shipping price to the final value I'm willing to pay and then put a watch on those auctions. If they go above my set buy price then it's a no buy for me. If the place is gouging out the wazoo for shipping(see: Tacoma WA GW among others) then I don't even bother with their auctions.

Case in point, I looked at an old school Xbox about a month ago on there. The auction was still pretty low towards the end of it($10-12 for the system and a lot of like 30 games), but the store wanted $46 for shipping Priority Mail.

I ran the weight and likely dimensions of the package up on USPS.com and it was about a THIRD of that.

So definitely watch out for gouging stores on there, as they are out there.:bomb:

FYI: Instead of searching all of the game listings and hoping to find a deal, you can use their search function and put in stuff like XBox and Playstation to just bring up all of the listings for different systems.;)

So far today found Breath of Fire 3 disc only and Metal Slug X missing the booklet. Two more stores to go, hopefully find some better stuff.

Thanks IATG, I discovered that while browsing through 50+ pages is fun, its easier just to enter popular search terms.

I'm watching a few things, but like you I have a price limit

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back