Thrift Store Thread 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='moop2001']Gonna try to flip it but I may have overpaid at $29.99
IMG_0966.jpg
[/QUOTE]

I'd frame that hideous thing and put it on my wall.

my most recent trip to GW netted me all for $17

Lunar 2 Mint condition almost brand new great shape
Parasite Eve 2
Zone of Enders The 2nd Runner

Well, ended up getting Tomb Raider III to go along with Breath of Fire III and Metal Slug X.

Pretty disappointing day. Found a truck load of newer textbooks at one of my stops and not one of them traded for anything decent at Amazon. One book was printed two years ago, and there had already been 7 later editions, WTF?

Someone should start a Thrift Store flipping guide thread that has lists of what to look for so I can expand beyond books, games, dvds, and music. I imagine I pass over a bunch of flippable toys all the time because I'm pretty sure I've seen those little people things the guy posted above.

[quote name='blindinglights']
Someone should start a Thrift Store flipping guide thread that has lists of what to look for so I can expand beyond books, games, dvds, and music. I imagine I pass over a bunch of flippable toys all the time because I'm pretty sure I've seen those little people things the guy posted above.[/QUOTE]

Terrible, terrible, idea. CAG used to have a flipping thread and it killed every flip. Never mention common flips on CAG unless you don't want to see them in the wild ever again. Your best idea is to keep your flips secret, if you need to talk about them you can join one of the many CAG flipping social groups.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']The one independent thrift store down the line from me had a SNES for $4 last week, but after looking inside it it was super filthy and the power connector port was messed up on
it.[/QUOTE]

well atleast youve seen one probably own one too. im still looking for a nes or snes. well atleast i found a genesis. and i opened it to try and fix the reset button and that thing didnt have any dust in it. makes me wonder why next gen consoles are so easily dirtied. and turns out the reset button wasnt broken just most game dont use it.

[quote name='Fallen_Shadow94']well atleast youve seen one probably own one too. im still looking for a nes or snes. well atleast i found a genesis. and i opened it to try and fix the reset button and that thing didnt have any dust in it. makes me wonder why next gen consoles are so easily dirtied. and turns out the reset button wasnt broken just most game dont use it.[/QUOTE]

Wow, you will probably hate me then. I have all three models of Genesis (aside from the Nomad), 3 NES systems and about 200 games for it, 3 SNES consoles, and an FC Twin that I use. The rest of the stuff is in boxes in the basement.

I actually gave away my 4th NES for the Child's Play raffle this past year.

And to keep it on topic, all of these were cheap goodwill finds.

Picked up the following
Jungle nintendo 64 - $14
Red n64 controller box with gray controller inside - $5
Blue n64 controller box with gray controller - $5
Yellow n64 controller - $3
Zelda windwalker gamecube CIB - $6

And what a friggin' haul the GF and I got from the GW Outlet today.

Tons of DVDs and CDs, a few vintage board games and then this:

Cost of the DS Bundle? Roughly $3.

Today is another example of why I stop by at least my closest GW when im out. Got a $5 giftcard to the new Walmart in the mail so that was todays plan. For $8.27 I got a 20oz Mountain Dew, 18 pack variety box of Milky Way, Snickers, Twix, and 3 Musketeer candy bars, and a pack of gum.

At GW I didnt see anything till I was walking out, they actually had the games in the display case today (mine never usually does that). For $21.57 I got Castlevania 64, Doom 64, Goldeneye, Perfect Dark, and Resident Evil 2 for N64.

You guys have found some insane deals...all I can ever find are dirty socks :whistle2:(

I gave up trying years ago.

Seeing these finds makes me want to go out and try though :)

[quote name='sp00ge']Had another day in interesting finds at the GW Outlet, but this is by far the most interesting:
DSCN0088.jpg

Yeah, Lightspan Series of programs for the Playstation. I don't think it's the whole set, but there are 70 discs.[/QUOTE]

Lmao, they used these when I went to elementary school.....I remember they only let the kids struggling use them though

Quite the major haul today. I figured I'd show you what a day's worth of scrounging can bring.

IMG_0995.jpg

IMG_0996.jpg

IMG_0997.jpg

IMG_0998.jpg

IMG_0999.jpg

IMG_1001.jpg

IMG_1003.jpg

The binders and boxes are filled with about 6,000 cards from trading card games. Many I have never heard. Hopefully they are flippable.
IMG_1004.jpg

[quote name='moop2001']Quite the major haul today. I figured I'd show you what a day's worth of scrounging can bring.

IMG_0995.jpg

IMG_0996.jpg

IMG_0997.jpg

IMG_0998.jpg

IMG_0999.jpg

IMG_1001.jpg

IMG_1003.jpg

The binders and boxes are filled with about 6,000 cards from trading card games. Many I have never heard. Hopefully they are flippable.
IMG_1004.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Wow. How much was for all that stuff? U going to rub the Trolls for good luck?

[quote name='The Punisher']Wow. How much was for all that stuff? U going to rub the Trolls for good luck?[/QUOTE]
About $150 give or take.

Any one find anything good in a good will in Rhode island? the best thing I found was Clock tower 1 and I sold that sucker on ebay. Other than that I mostly find crap sports games or nothing at all. Someone out there must be donating good stuff at some point.

[quote name='sp00ge']And what a friggin' haul the GF and I got from the GW Outlet today.

Cost of the DS Bundle? Roughly $3.[/QUOTE]

:applause:

Now that is a deal!

[quote name='sp00ge']And what a friggin' haul the GF and I got from the GW Outlet today.

Cost of the DS Bundle? Roughly $3.[/QUOTE]

now is that an outlet that sells by the pound or what the cashier says?

I was at my closest outlet about a week back and they had 2 dreamcasts no cords and the girl wanted 20 a piece. she walked away was replaced by a guy who said 5 for one (and threw in a controller, 2 vmu, a 64 gameboy adapter and a cd).
Nothing is ever marked at mine and the signs just give price "ranges" but they seldom stick to them.

I live near Atlanta, so there are a lot of hispanics and blacks who raid all of the Goodwill's in my area, so I can never find anything worth a shit for a decent price.

[quote name='orcafan8']now is that an outlet that sells by the pound or what the cashier says?

I was at my closest outlet about a week back and they had 2 dreamcasts no cords and the girl wanted 20 a piece. she walked away was replaced by a guy who said 5 for one (and threw in a controller, 2 vmu, a 64 gameboy adapter and a cd).
Nothing is ever marked at mine and the signs just give price "ranges" but they seldom stick to them.[/QUOTE]

Yeha, this is by the pound. We usually go for the 50# mark, so we pay .59/lb. Occasionally, they'll take game consoles and stick them in the "special finds" case and slap a ridiculous price tag on them, but it all depends on the manager (we're friends with all but one who's a bit of a b).

[quote name='Tardcore']I live near Atlanta, so there are a lot of hispanics and blacks who raid all of the Goodwill's in my area, so I can never find anything worth a shit for a decent price.[/QUOTE]

I'm trying to make sense of this.

I have no luck at good will. Where do I have to look for old games/electronics or no one wants to donate them to mines lol. The best deal I got was Yoshi Island SNES for $1.00.

[quote name='Tardcore']I live near Atlanta, so there are a lot of hispanics and blacks who raid all of the Goodwill's in my area, so I can never find anything worth a shit for a decent price.[/QUOTE]

I live in the metro area. Never find any deals at GW. I saw a xbox for $99

I bought a Wrestlemania The Arcade Game for Playstation for $3, I'm sure I overpaid but it makes me happy because it's in the comically oversized plastic case. There was also a Power Player Super Joy III which is basically a fake N64 controller with an NES slot on the back of it, and a pretty nice Microsoft USB controller for a dollar I'll go back and get tomorrow.

Also, both of my thrift stores have a wealth of Rock Band instruments that aren't selling. I guess you can't even give them away any more. Someone bought the $80 OG Xbox though.

I grabbed this xbox elite as-is for $25 at a goodwill this week, no harddrive or cables. i had to order a power source from ebay so i dont know if it works yet or not. Probably has the rrod so it might be a good project to try and fix it
xboxelite.jpg

[quote name='wheels']I grabbed this xbox elite as-is for $25 at a goodwill this week, no harddrive or cables. i had to order a power source from ebay so i dont know if it works yet or not. Probably has the rrod so it might be a good project to try and fix it
xboxelite.jpg
[/QUOTE]

That's not too bad of a gamble...is the warranty seal broken? Was just at my local Goodwill today, and they had a 360 console with the power cord and hook ups and a 20g HD with a sign on it "Not Working, sold as is" priced at 79.99. WTF are they thinking???

[quote name='wheels']I grabbed this xbox elite as-is for $25 at a goodwill this week, no harddrive or cables. i had to order a power source from ebay so i dont know if it works yet or not. Probably has the rrod so it might be a good project to try and fix it
xboxelite.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Maybe you'll get RRoD, then Xbox will send you a refurb. That would be an awesome deal. Guess it depends when the Xbox was made, if it's 2008 or later.

It took me a few days to work this up, but I think I finally knocked down the thrift dragon and kicked him on the ground.

Okay, if you remember my CD hunt, I took the happy train on over one more time:

A Perfect Circle - 3 Libras (Promo with Gorilla Cover)

However, things got much happier this go around as I noticed the sudden new inventory of older (in box) PC games. These two were secured immediately.

- Realms of Arkania Trilogy (Sealed) :dunce:
- Ultima V: Warriors of Destiny (CIB, superb condition)

These were purely instinct buys, but then when I went home and checked the prices while downing cup of noodles I decided it was time for an immediate return trip. This time the pick-ups were:

- Escape from Hell (the box art on this is cool as shit)
http://mocagh.org/ea/escapehell.jpg
http://mocagh.org/ea/escapehell-back.jpg
- Bandit Kings of Ancient China (It's KOEI baby!)
- AD&D Heroes of the Lance
- AD&D Secret of the Silver Blades
- Ultima 4: Quest of the Avatar
- Might and Magic 7: For Blood and Honor

Wasn't quite finished yet either:

- Bard's Tale Construction Set
- AD&D: Pool of Radiance (No floppies, which is sadness. Gave the Goodwill people a $1 for the box and maps though)

And that was it, all for $34.98. Now we know the price of happiness :)

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']However, things got much happier this go around as I noticed the sudden new inventory of older (in box) PC games. These two were secured immediately.

- Realms of Arkania Trilogy (Sealed) :dunce:
- Ultima V: Warriors of Destiny (CIB, superb condition)

These were purely instinct buys, but then when I went home and checked the prices while downing cup of noodles I decided it was time for an immediate return trip. This time the pick-ups were:

- Escape from Hell (the box art on this is cool as shit)
http://mocagh.org/ea/escapehell.jpg
http://mocagh.org/ea/escapehell-back.jpg
- Bandit Kings of Ancient China (It's KOEI baby!)
- AD&D Heroes of the Lance
- AD&D Secret of the Silver Blades
- Ultima 4: Quest of the Avatar
- Might and Magic 7: For Blood and Honor

Wasn't quite finished yet either:

- Bard's Tale Construction Set
- AD&D: Pool of Radiance (No floppies, which is sadness. Gave the Goodwill people a $1 for the box and maps though)

And that was it, all for $34.98. Now we know the price of happiness :)[/QUOTE]
:drool:
I have a thing for CIB older PC games, especially rpgs...:drool:
It's really the only thing, gaming related that is, that I'd collect.

Did the Ultima games come with the feelies?

[quote name='mguiddy']:drool:

Did the Ultima games come with the feelies?[/QUOTE]

nvm

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='JediKiller24']That's not too bad of a gamble...is the warranty seal broken? Was just at my local Goodwill today, and they had a 360 console with the power cord and hook ups and a 20g HD with a sign on it "Not Working, sold as is" priced at 79.99. WTF are they thinking???[/QUOTE]

The warranty seal's not broken but it has a couple small scratches and a small piece gone so it looks suspicious. it's a got a 2007 manufacture date so looks like its a project or an ebay item if i cant get it to work. should be getting the power supply monday or tuesday. i had no idea there were 3 different power supplies for 360 models until i tried to plug mine into this box and it wouldnt go in

[quote name='moop2001']If you're looking for Rebel Assault 1 and 2 big boxes, hit me up. I've been trying to unload these things.[/QUOTE]

Don't mean to cut in, but now that you mention it I have a whole box of Star Wars PC goodies I wouldn't mind clearing $25 on (after the shipping cost). Never was much of a Star Wars person myself, but to a collector there's definitely some display-quality items in my possession.

[quote name='mguiddy']:drool:

Did the Ultima games come with the feelies?[/QUOTE]

They both include the cloth maps, if that's what you mean.

Annnnd my camera sucks, lol, so you won't get to see the contents in all their glory. This here is about the best I can do:

Ultima4and5.jpg

It's going to be a battle deciding which ones to keep and which ones to sell, that's for sure.

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']They both include the cloth maps, if that's what you mean.
[/QUOTE]
Nice, most of the Ultimas came with other stuff though...
UIV came with a few books and an ankh amulet and UV came with a few books and a codex coin.

[quote name='aTaRiFrEaK223']Maybe you'll get RRoD, then Xbox will send you a refurb. That would be an awesome deal. Guess it depends when the Xbox was made, if it's 2008 or later.[/QUOTE]
I picked up a 360 with a 2008 manufacture date that had like 4 days left on the RROD/E74 error warranty for $20 from a local game shop. It has the E74 error, so it was a no brainer to call MS n try to get a free in warranty repair on it.:razz:

So the first thing I did when I got home after checking the warranty seal(intact) was to register that bitch under my name. The next thing I did was to call MS about it.

They just sent me the pre-paid shipping label on Friday, so I have to go out today sometime and grab some bubble wrap to wrap it up in.

While it's at MS I'll debate if I'm going to find a power supply, AV cable, HDD and controller for it to try and use it myself.....or if this is gonna be a quick flip on CL for $80-90 after it's repaired.;)

Right now I'm leaning towards buying the cords and controller and playing a few of the 360 exclusives I've missed playing since I chose to only get a PS3 so far this gen. But we shall see.:)

[quote name='mguiddy']Nice, most of the Ultimas came with other stuff though...
UIV came with a few books and an ankh amulet and UV came with a few books and a codex coin.[/QUOTE]

Wow, it sounds like these games were like the Lunar boxsets or the Growlanser Generations of their day with those kind of fancy extras. Mine have the books but I guess the amulet and coin would be too much to ask for.

Picked up the following today at goodwill

Capcom vs SNK dreamcast factory sealed - 1.99
Marvel vs Capcom 2 dreamcast CIB - 1.99
Marvel super heroes in War of the gems SNES - .99
Breath of Fire SNES - .99
Donky Kong Country 3 Dixie Kong's Double Trouble - .99
Fur Fighters CIB dreamcast - 1.99

photo57.jpg

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']I picked up a 360 with a 2008 manufacture date that had like 4 days left on the RROD/E74 error warranty for $20 from a local game shop. It has the E74 error, so it was a no brainer to call MS n try to get a free in warranty repair on it.:razz:

So the first thing I did when I got home after checking the warranty seal(intact) was to register that bitch under my name. The next thing I did was to call MS about it.

They just sent me the pre-paid shipping label on Friday, so I have to go out today sometime and grab some bubble wrap to wrap it up in.

While it's at MS I'll debate if I'm going to find a power supply, AV cable, HDD and controller for it to try and use it myself.....or if this is gonna be a quick flip on CL for $80-90 after it's repaired.;)

Right now I'm leaning towards buying the cords and controller and playing a few of the 360 exclusives I've missed playing since I chose to only get a PS3 so far this gen. But we shall see.:)[/QUOTE]
I've got an extra power supply and controller lying around, if you're interested.

Cost of the DS Bundle? Roughly $3.[/QUOTE]The Goodwill outlet is the one that sells by the pound, right? I'm surprised you found anything, there are a bunch of people waiting at the boxes as soon as they're put out and everything in them is junk over here.

[quote name='yoyo1316']Picked up the following today at goodwill

Marvel vs Capcom 2 dreamcast CIB - 1.99
Marvel super heroes in War of the gems SNES - .99
Breath of Fire SNES - .99
Donky Kong Country 3 Dixie Kong's Double Trouble - .99
Fur Fighters CIB dreamcast - 1.99

photo57.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Very Nice :D

[quote name='yoyo1316']Picked up the following today at goodwill