Thrift Store Thread 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='JJSP']$12 at Goodwill.

cdx.jpg

Successfully tested using the weird RF Genesis adapter on my HDTV and played a few levels of Sonic 2 and some Cool Spot. I need to track down an AV adapter instead, much easier.

Please excuse my sink. ;)[/QUOTE]

So much jealousness oozing from my persona right now!

Recent pickups:

Sega Game Gear - 3.99
Some lame game gear gold game - 1.50
Crash Bandicoot 2 - 1.99
"Diane" The Twin Peaks tapes of Agent Cooper (complete) - 1.99

what's amazing is that goodwill probably put it out for sale simply because it looks like a plain old portable CD player and not a SUPER RARE 80S SEGA GENESIS which needs to get sold on ebay for $50

fuck goodwill.

Seriously, most of those people seem to be idiots. I bought a great game like Maniac Mansion for $2 and it seems to go for about $10 on eBay. Super Mario Bros., however, is at Goodwill for $6 despite being a game that almost every NES owner has. I know it's not a big price difference, but it's still stupid.

[quote name='ZombieToast']Seriously, most of those people seem to be idiots. I bought a great game like Maniac Mansion for $2 and it seems to go for about $10 on eBay. Super Mario Bros., however, is at Goodwill for $6 despite being a game that almost every NES owner has. I know it's not a big price difference, but it's still stupid.[/QUOTE]

Let me put you into the mind of a typical thrift store employee that doesn't know much about video games....

Super Mario Bros = "Gee golly this will get some money for us because Mario is popular. Mark that $6. It'll sell as soon as it hits the floor."

Maniac Mansion = "Nobody has heard of this probably so just mark it $2. We'll be lucky if it sells in a month."

Oh, I get how they come to such a conclusion...I just don't understand why nobody seems to realize that a very common item might not be worth much. Of course, I suspect that many of these people don't even realize that NES games aren't mass-produced anymore.

My decent haul from my SA yesterday....

Sega Genesis model 2 with RF video cable and power adapter
Two six button controllers

Boxed:
Sonic The Hedgehog (with "not for sale" on front cover)
Mario Andretti Racing
ESPN National Hockey Night
NHL 96
NHL 98
Williams Arcade's Greatest Hits
Championship Pro-Am
Sega Greatest Heavyweights
Abrahms Battle Tank

Cart Only:
Marble Madness
Ultimate Mortal Kombat 3
Genesis 6-Pak (Sonic, Golden Axe, Streets Of Rage, Revenge Of Shinobi, Columns, Super Hang-On - also came with a black and white manual)
Bass Masters Classic Pro Edition
Revolution X
PGA Tour Golf II

$9 for all that. The hysterical part is that a few months ago this same store had the system with the 6-pak cart and one controller for $30. Now all I need is the Genesis model 2 a/v cable so I can hook this in through my surround sound front a/v port.

Picked up a Nintendo gpx 1500 (very cleannnnnn). Passed on a brand new original xbox controller, ps2 controllers, and NES controllers (overpriced 5.99 each)

Recent SA finds:
95caba22fb3905cf0ef214b6bf4f772d.jpg

$3 each
:br: Watchmen Motion Comic
:br: Watchmen Tales of the Black Freighter
:pc: LOTR: BFME Anthology ($$$)
:xbox: Morrowind (disc is PH version)

[quote name='ZombieToast']Quite a few duds there, but for $9, it's still a great deal. I'd pay that just for the console and a controller.[/QUOTE]

Truth be told that's pretty much how I feel. For $9 its not a bad deal even if most of the games are duds. Still a few decent solid titles however especially the 6-Pak.

From a trip this past Thursday.
Disc only Riven - $3
Disc only Police Quest Collection/Swat $3
Vol 1-3 (no 4 :() Encyclopedia Magica from AD&D 2nd Edition $15
Saw 3D 3D Blu-Ray sealed $3

Picked up Neverwinter Night (2 installation discs, 1 play disc, and a disc for the two expansions: Shadows of Undrentide and Hordes of the Underdark) with manual, shortcut card, and the cloth map for $2.99.

Any body know which edition this is? I can't seem to find one that fits the description.

[quote name='CAG90210']Picked up Neverwinter Night (2 installation discs, 1 play disc, and a disc for the two expansions: Shadows of Undrentide and Hordes of the Underdark) with manual, shortcut card, and the cloth map for $2.99.

Any body know which edition this is? I can't seem to find one that fits the description.[/QUOTE]

It's not Diamond, have you checked it against the Collector's Edition on Amazon?

[quote name='CAG90210']Picked up Neverwinter Night (2 installation discs, 1 play disc, and a disc for the two expansions: Shadows of Undrentide and Hordes of the Underdark) with manual, shortcut card, and the cloth map for $2.99.

Any body know which edition this is? I can't seem to find one that fits the description.[/QUOTE]

EDIT: I thought it was Platinum, but my CIB version is 4-disc with a spiral-bound book.

[quote name='pollmonster']Found at Goodwill:
Masters Of the Universe Figures $3.99 each
Rambo Figures $2.99 each

DSC01366.jpg

DSC01367.jpg

DSC01368.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Cool stuff. The Rambo's are originals, the MOTU are the "new" ones, but still cool.

Let's see...

Donkey Kong Country (cart)-4
Zelda: Oracle of Seasons (cart)-4
A whole bunch of boxed Hot Wheels (Red Line)-3 each
FF X-2 guide-1.50
MGS3: Snake Eater guide-1.50

An okay day.

Not much for me today.

Dance Dance Revolution Mario Mix (no manual; no dance pad) - $3
Generic Dance Pad (made by Pelican; for PS2, Xbox, and GCN) - $5

Checked out a newish thrift store that opened up a few weeks ago in my area. Tons of clothing, small electronics section. Saw a ds lite and a gba both marked at 49.99. Oh silly thrift store, but if a dsi ever comes in hopefully it'll be marked 49.99 as well.

[quote name='Indigo_Streetlight']It's not Diamond, have you checked it against the Collector's Edition on Amazon?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='sp00ge']EDIT: I thought it was Platinum, but my CIB version is 4-disc with a spiral-bound book.[/QUOTE]

I checked against the Collector's Edition, Gold Edition, and Platinum, but none of them fit the bill for the Neverwinter Nights version I found.

This is the version I found:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

It is the PC version.

[quote name='CAG90210']The PSP I picked up last week that was sold as is...well, the charger I ordered arrived today, and it
WORKS! :whee::whee:

Below is an image of the Neverwinter Nights game discs.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/QUOTE]
After searching on mobygames, I think that's what came in the Hordes of the Underdark expansion.
Seems like it came with a case to hold the other discs.
So it's not an "official" edition, but what someone had after buying NWN and both expansions separately.

[quote name='mguiddy']After searching on mobygames, I think that's what came in the Hordes of the Underdark expansion.
Seems like it came with a case to hold the other discs.
So it's not an "official" edition, but what someone had after buying NWN and both expansions separately.[/QUOTE]

I was very happy to find a bundle of SNES games yesterday. 2x super mario all-stars, mario kart, radical rex, lion king, and a couple others. Not too bad for $9.75.

I passed on a grungy 13 dollar n64, but no other decent videogame stuff.

One off find, though was a "you're under arrest" soundtrack at the same thrift where I found a nippan macross II soundtrack and a salamander arcade soundtrack a few weeks ago.

Picked up a bunch of SNES/NES/PS1 games at a couple Goodwill stores.

SNES:
Harvest Moon - $5.99
Secret of Evermore - $5.99
Drakken - $5.99
Super Ghost N Ghouls $5.99
Super Game Boy w/ Tetris $5.99
Lost Vikings 2 $5.99
SNES Cleaning Kit $3.99

NES:
Dragon Warrior $5.99
Zelda $5.99

PS1:
Tales of Destiny $5.99
Xenogears $5.99

dscn2902m.jpg

Definitely a good haul, although your Goodwill charges a bit more than the ones here. I just bought Dragon Warrior two weeks ago for a dollar or two.

[quote name='postaboy']Picked up a bunch of SNES/NES/PS1 games at a couple Goodwill stores.

SNES:
Harvest Moon - $5.99
Secret of Evermore - $5.99
Drakken - $5.99
Super Ghost N Ghouls $5.99
Super Game Boy w/ Tetris $5.99
Lost Vikings 2 $5.99
SNES Cleaning Kit $3.99

NES:
Dragon Warrior $5.99
Zelda $5.99

PS1:
Tales of Destiny $5.99
Xenogears $5.99

[/QUOTE]

Harvest moon! :D

Goodwill stores over here have a fixed price on games.

PS1/PS2/Gamecube/DS/PSP/GameBoy/NES/SNES/N64/etc - $5.99
360/PS3/Wii/3DS - $14.99

Thanks everyone.

Wow @ $6 a game, Im picky when it comes to picking up stuff for $3 or $4 at my GWs.

Today was almost a bust but I saw Fifa 12 complete for the 3DS in the glasscase-$13, Thanks to GW and Amazon promotions/credit Ive paid 47 real dollars for Zelda OOT 3D, Starfox64 3D, Street Fighter4 3D, Ridge Racer 3D, and FIFA 12.

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw a Sega Saturn game a couple of days ago, so I thought hm, maybe there's a system here. But I checked that day, didnt see any. When I went back today, I saw a Saturn controller, the game was gone and no system in sight. I really hope it's just still back there, will check back tomorrow.

[quote name='CAG90210']I saw a Sega Saturn game a couple of days ago, so I thought hm, maybe there's a system here. But I checked that day, didnt see any. When I went back today, I saw a Saturn controller, the game was gone and no system in sight. I really hope it's just still back there, will check back tomorrow.[/QUOTE]
I usually ask if the system came in, since they often get the parts scattered around. An N64 racing wheel came in, and I asked about a console, which they had but it was unfortunately a plain black one and no games came in with it :(

DSCI0139.jpg

Some of this was from a pawn, but $3.xx for each item. Mech Warrior 3 Pirates Moon seems to be an pretty nice flip, and it's super minty. Besides that, SFA3 and the complete Escaflowne series (never watched it but I've been meaning to) are probably what I'm happiest about.

[quote name='aptanor']I usually ask if the system came in, since they often get the parts scattered around. An N64 racing wheel came in, and I asked about a console, which they had but it was unfortunately a plain black one and no games came in with it :(

[/QUOTE]

Yea, I did ask this time, but the people working there doesn't seem to know anything about it.

[quote name='aptanor']I usually ask if the system came in, since they often get the parts scattered around. An N64 racing wheel came in, and I asked about a console, which they had but it was unfortunately a plain black one and no games came in with it :(

DSCI0139.jpg

Some of this was from a pawn, but $3.xx for each item. Mech Warrior 3 Pirates Moon seems to be an pretty nice flip, and it's super minty.[/QUOTE]
Nice score on MW3:pM :drool:. I'm super jelly; I wanted that game so badly back when MW3 (the real game to use "MW3") still had a huge online community (12+ years ago...).

Wow, I haven't played Nightmare Creatures in such a long time. I can't even remember if I ever beat the final boss or not (though I think I did). That was one of the first games I used my GameShark Pro on; ended up making a cool super-jump code for it.

[quote name='ZombieToast']Wow, I haven't played Nightmare Creatures in such a long time. I can't even remember if I ever beat the final boss or not (though I think I did). That was one of the first games I used my GameShark Pro on; ended up making a cool super-jump code for it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I remember that burning Tower of London match was a real slugfest; not a pretty game by today's standards but the story was good and you had a fair variety of moves to use against the monstrosities.

Guy rang these up at $3 apiece instead of $4. Wonder if there was more they hadnt put out or if this was it cus Ive never had a NES, SNES, and N64 day.

Robocop NES- Clear plastic case, printed booklets for it and "The Black Bass" and the real booklet for "R.C. Pro-AM"

The Bard's Tale NES- Clear plastic case

Jungle Strike-SNES

N64- Cruisin USA, Yoshis Story, Zelda OOT, Pilotwings64, Diddy Kong Racing

Amongst some junk at Goodwill today I found a copy of Just Dance 3 for XBox 360 for $15. It was another Target closeout, and should go flippity flop on Amazon for $30.

[quote name='spmahn']Amongst some junk at Goodwill today I found a copy of Just Dance 3 for XBox 360 for $15. It was another Target closeout, and should go flippity flop on Amazon for $30.[/QUOTE]

Are you sure it's not a Defect Salvage? It seems a bit too new to have made it through clearance yet. I've found a few like that which were scratched to HELL, most likely someone wrecking it and returning it to Target.

[quote name='spmahn']Amongst some junk at Goodwill today I found a copy of Just Dance 3 for XBox 360 for $15. It was another Target closeout, and should go flippity flop on Amazon for $30.[/QUOTE]

Wow, that game came out less than a month ago, its still being displayed promptly at my local Target.

[quote name='sp00ge']Are you sure it's not a Defect Salvage? It seems a bit too new to have made it through clearance yet. I've found a few like that which were scratched to HELL, most likely someone wrecking it and returning it to Target.[/QUOTE]

Nah, this one is in good shape, boots up fine. I found a Star Fox 64 3DS at this same Goodwill last month for $15 too which I flipped for $30. My guess is with this game and with Star Fox, someone bought it, realized it required Kinect / a 3DS and just returned it. Game is brand new, no problems with it at all.

Speaking of spotting Target items at goodwill/SA, I know many people have found items, but does anyone know if this is an official thing that Target does or is it by discretion of each manager? There's literally a Goodwill 2 blocks away from one of my Targets in the area yet I have never seen anything from there shown up at that store.

[quote name='Link927']Speaking of spotting Target items at goodwill/SA, I know many people have found items, but does anyone know if this is an official thing that Target does or is it by discretion of each manager? There's literally a Goodwill 2 blocks away from one of my Targets in the area yet I have never seen anything from there shown up at that store.[/QUOTE]

I'm thinking its an official thing... as I've been to a po'dunk Goodwill in a tiny town that had target stuff, and it was over an hour from the nearest target store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back