Too Human (X360) Gamestop.com NEW $5.99

[quote name='eLefAdEr']I found it bearable only with a co-op partner.

Wonder how long the servers will stay up after this news (there is no local co-op option, only online).[/QUOTE]

My guess is "forever." A few Xbox Live games use their own servers (EA sports games, Steel Battalion), but most just use standard XBL peer-to-peer, which WE pay for. Even small XBLA games from the 360's launch still work.

What is amazing to me about this game is there are actually people still playing it. Any time I got on there was normally three to four people hosting a server. I liked the game, but after awhile, it took its toll. The character movement speed is far to slow with the maps being as large as they are. A brisk jog doesn't do it, I want to sprint and run!

If you're an achievement hunter, this game has one achievement that can grind you out for hours on end. Or you get lucky and just have someone give you a complete set to get it. Other than that one, everything else is super easy to get.

Game was decent, pretty short, nothing special, Story was kind of cool. Theres better out there in the genre, and this game was far from being a groundbreaking benchmark for newer games. Its no System Shock 2.

Got this game for free a long time ago from Club Bing. The game was really cryptic about explaining how it's mechanics worked, Camera worked against you, the unskippable Valkyrie death animation. Too Human was a massive let down and even for $6 I can barely justify buying it. I do feel like I got robbed of my time after I beat the game though.

[quote name='Lord_Kefka']Since you brought up "destroyed" copies, I looked up the Atari 2600 E.T. game. Sealed copies are going for $20. I wouldn't expect much from Too Human either.[/QUOTE]

They destroyed copies of ET because they made hilariously too many. It'll never be a collector's item.

I'll never understand the hatred for this game. I thought it was a really fun game and played through it multiple times. It got a bit repetitive after a while but it's not the only game to ever do that. There were no game breaking glitches that I remember.

Overall I had a blast playing it and grinding for better gear. The red/orange drops were ridiculously rare, though. I got over the game before I managed to get a complete set...but I sitll played the hell out of it.

There are way way way WAY worse games than Too Human.

[quote name='HisDivineShadow']I think most of us knew not to expect much from Too Human. Only those who worshiped at the Altar of Eternal Darkness thought otherwise.[/QUOTE]

I was referring more to the expectations of anyone speculating this could be a collectors item. But yes, you are correct in that too. If anything, it was more of "hoped".

[quote name='louiedog']If it weren't for the destruction of copies, at this point Too Human would have already sold 99% of the copies it was ever going to sell. Because of this, that number might be more like 97% because some people are now scooping it up thinking it will become valuable. It's an old game without much hope of a sequel that a lot of people didn't like very much and I don't think it's going to be any more rare now than it would have if the lawsuit hadn't happened. How much longer would it have been before they were destroyed simply for taking up warehouse space?[/QUOTE]

That was exactly my point.

[quote name='Survivalism']They destroyed copies of ET because they made hilariously too many. It'll never be a collector's item.[/QUOTE]

Depending on what number you believe, it was millions of copies destroyed. It was recalled since it was so incredibly bad that a large percentage of all sold copies were returned. Too Humans global sales were under 1 million, and even if 1 million copies exist, that's still hilariously too many as well to ever be a collectors item. So, again....that was my point. A recall on this doesn't make it a collectors item. Even a game that was recalled, crushed, buried, and paved over nearly 30 years ago only fetches $20 for a sealed copy.

All of that said, I still have this game on my shelf, likely to never get played next to Duke Nukem. Maybe I should pick up that X-men game too.

[quote name='SpartenOmega117']its actually not that bad of a price considering ebay + amazon new copies are really expensive now.[/QUOTE]

Only difference is that those are legitimate sealed copies... I'd imagine that there are not very many non "display" copies of this game still floating around at Gamestop stores.

Even at the cheap price this game goes for I still wouldn't buy it just because time is so limited and I have hardly enough time to even play actual good games.

At this price, I am more than willing to see if the game is as much of a trainwreck as people make it out to be. I paid $7.99 for X-Men: Destiny with no regrets, so $5.99 feels appropriate.

[quote name='CGlade']Game has flaws like most but I really enjoyed it. Interesting world.[/QUOTE]

I really enjoyed the backstory. Did anyone ever watch the Goblin Man 'documentary' tie-in? That was an interesting way to hype the release.

For the time that I did play it, I enjoyed it for the first full playthrough and a little of the 2nd, both with co-op partners. Whenever I attempted it solo, I would give up within a few deaths which never took very long.

edit: It's actually called The Goblin Man of Norway. Here's an excerpt, haven't seen the full version but I sort of want to.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8C2ZDp2Els

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='DuffHomer']looks like KRATOS on the cover, this game anything like God of War?[/QUOTE]

While the gameplay looks similar (especially during combat with large groups of enemies), the controls are completely different. TH is more about stringing attack combos to avoid damage than anything else. It's a unique experience that is worth trying out at least once. It's not for everyone but if you give it a chance over a couple hours of play, it could grow on you.

[quote name='CGlade']Game has flaws like most but I really enjoyed it. Interesting world.[/QUOTE]

I have always been shocked at how many people pan this game and especially how many jump on the this game sucks bandwagon without having played it. I thought it was very good. Certainly not perfect but I think it is a solid 8/10.

Work buying at that price, even though it's an awful game (and I'm a VERY forgiving gamer).

Picked mine up at Gamestop today but they gave me a "New" open game.

Not that big a deal since I want to play it, but I also reserved it at a different store and am going to call and see if they have a sealed one for me or not.

It must be sold out already. XD

I got this instead: Oops! Please correct the errors below to continue. Currently Too Human is not available for purchase and has been removed from your cart.

[quote name='GamingKnight']It must be sold out already. XD

I got this instead: Oops! Please correct the errors below to continue. Currently Too Human is not available for purchase and has been removed from your cart.[/QUOTE]

I got that first few tries but checked back like 45 mins later and it worked. Try again in a bit.

Got me a used copy. I just wanted a copy just to have since they will hard to find later. Now to find me a cheap copy of X-men Dinesty.

This game was really good, if the servers are still up then you will have lots of fun with co-op

[quote name='apollosrequiem']At this price, I am more than willing to see if the game is as much of a trainwreck as people make it out to be. I paid $7.99 for X-Men: Destiny with no regrets, so $5.99 feels appropriate.[/QUOTE]

Where did you find X-men for that price? I saw it for $10 from Gamefly but didn't bite, wish I did.

[quote name='Manifest95']Got me a used copy. I just wanted a copy just to have since they will hard to find later. Now to find me a cheap copy of X-men Dinesty.[/QUOTE]

Same here. Got a used copy for $3.60ish. Now to see what this game is all about....if I can through the so called sea of backlog.

The Gamestop relatively close to my house says low stock, as do the two Gamestops near my workplace. No point in calling them. Might as well stop by one or both near my workplace during lunch to see if they have one. Hopefully sealed but I'll probably take what I can get.

[quote name='LLeopardGGecko']Put in a hold request for a new copy at a local store. Although most likely it will be "new".[/QUOTE]

That's exactly what I got when I asked for a new copy. It was out of the box and in a sleeve, plus the clear side of the disc had a bunch of dust on it. I asked for the used one instead and was in better condition lol.

[quote name='Big St3ph3n']I loved this game, Def one of them games you have to play for yourself to make up your mind.[/QUOTE]

This sums it up perfectly to me... An amazing game that I enjoyed far more than I likely should have, and enjoyed far more than many AAA titles. One of the titles that will always come to mind when I think of this generation. Honestly, I have all the achievements in 5 retail games, 4 throw away easy titles and this one because I loved it so much.

Deeply disappointed we will never see a sequel.

Notes About the Game

Learning Curve
; Its a steep one, you will die allot in the game till you learn the game... Honestly, the game will likely not click till closer to the 30 hour mark.

Difficulty; Goes along with the above... but worth mentioning by itself. Its not an easy game you will die allot but unlike Dark Souls/Demon's Souls you will not be punished for it. (Outside of watching the Valkyrie come for your soul.)

Ice Forest
; This goes along with the above and the above... but its worth mentioning it by itself. The most difficult and longest level in the game. Its also the second level of the game. On my first playthrough with my first character I died once in the Hall of Champions (first level) and somewhere around 33-45 times on the second level. Its honestly what separates the men from the reviewers.

Poisoned/On Fire/Condition Effect; I cannot remember what exactly its called but you'll know it when its happening. Baldur takes damage every few seconds (even when combat is done) learn the pattern and roll when its about to happen. Not only does this lessen the damage done but it also ends the effect quicker.

Canisters; They're more likely to drop health the lower your health is... Meaning if your main goal is survival don't break the canisters open unless you need health.

Bounty; The other thing that comes out of canisters... It quickly becomes worthless in that you'll have far more than you'll need so don't worry so much about it. (aka go for the health. Especially on Ice Forest)

Equipment; Don't worry about looking cool early on... Use what's most effective. Also equipment degrades when you die so repair in in the shop. (Your character will flash red when its completely destroyed and its no longer protecting you.)

Classes; There's 5 of them. Playing the two extremes, Berserker (Melee) and Commando (Range weapons), actually makes you feel like you're playing a different game. I enjoyed the commando the most but this isn't an easy class for solo play at low levels. I recommend the Champion for first timers.

Co-Op; Playing in Co-Op removes all elements of story from the game (minus a few cut scenes which are actually load screens.) so I truly recommend playing the game in single player campaign first.

Story; See the above post, plus note the story is really quite good but it doesn't feel all the lines in for you.. You have to think. You also need to listen to the member of the Wolf Pack as your NPC campaigns often talk story while in the level. (aka there is more to the story than just cut scenes.)

Unstoppable Achievements; You're really unlikely to get them on your first playthrough.. So don't stress it when you die.

I think that covers the notes... Honestly, this game isn't without flaws, most of them in how it handles the levels and its learning curve as there really is no tutorial like you see in modern games (or at least not enough of one), but most of the reviews for this game really got it wrong... This is a fun and rather unique game.

[quote name='Hunter Hybrid']Where did you find X-men for that price? I saw it for $10 from Gamefly but didn't bite, wish I did.[/QUOTE]

Gamefly, actually. It was during their last round of deals. I think it was pretty early on in the sales.

Went to a GameStop to return a game, I asked for Too Human and was told that they had already returned their new copies to the manufacturer.

[quote name='Lord Chabelo']Went to a GameStop to return a game, I asked for Too Human and was told that they had already returned their new copies to the manufacturer.[/QUOTE]

Really? That seems odd. If that were the case, other retailers would have had to send them back as well and there would be some news about it...

[quote name='guyver2077']damn.. should of ordered at 5.99.

wheres the best place to pick up now?[/QUOTE]

Used at GameStop for $2.99. The prices on Amazon for new and used are stupid crazy.

[quote name='4tygames']Used at GameStop for $2.99. The prices on Amazon for new and used are stupid crazy.[/QUOTE]

I figure their used copies will be crappy condition + the shipping was a little high.

trying the instore pickup for 5.99

If that doesnt work then ill give the used online a shot

Some of you will hate me for saying this, but I would consider this game to be one of, if not the, worst game I've played this gen (keep in mind that I have common sense and avoid playing shovelware). Couldn't enjoy it at all.

This game's been in the bargain bin for years, now, and maybe I'm crazy, but I think it's silly that everyone's suddenly snatching up this turd because it has the slimmest of slim chances of becoming rare.

Sorry, my two cents. Carry on!

I loved this game. Had a blast in co-op, except for the stupid death scene.

With this bargain price, is it GS's way of selling their stock before they are asked to send them back?

[quote name='GamingKnight']I just nabbed it new online, so more might be appearing in stock now.[/QUOTE]

i do see that it came in stock..

any shipping codes out there? i know saver only works for $25+

[quote name='DeathDream']What is amazing to me about this game is there are actually people still playing it. Any time I got on there was normally three to four people hosting a server. I liked the game, but after awhile, it took its toll. The character movement speed is far to slow with the maps being as large as they are. A brisk jog doesn't do it, I want to sprint and run!

If you're an achievement hunter, this game has one achievement that can grind you out for hours on end. Or you get lucky and just have someone give you a complete set to get it. Other than that one, everything else is super easy to get.[/QUOTE]

This is the 1st game I ever 1000/1000
I absolutely loved it - and got a few friends hooked.

In fact, I still play through and beat this once a year - thought about starting a 2nd gamer-tag to 1000/1000 it again in all honesty

[quote name='Deserter Goose']Some of you will hate me for saying this, but I would consider this game to be one of, if not the, worst game I've played this gen (keep in mind that I have common sense and avoid playing shovelware). Couldn't enjoy it at all.

This game's been in the bargain bin for years, now, and maybe I'm crazy, but I think it's silly that everyone's suddenly snatching up this turd because it has the slimmest of slim chances of becoming rare.

Sorry, my two cents. Carry on![/QUOTE]

Did you finish a run through the campaign? I had low expectations of the game and found it to be one of the best and most underrated games I've played. I'm an older gamer (bought NES when it was brand new) so I have a bit more patience for harder games that don't walk you right through them. There's definitely a hidden learning curve and a grind in this game where an investment of time and work pays off. There's a pretty hardcore loot and customization system as you reach the higher levels. Its just one of those games that gets better the more time you invest in it.

EDIT: and appears to once again be in stock online

Struck out at two different GameStop locations through the pick up at store option, even though the website listed them as having it in stock, NOT low stock

I'm glad I picked Too Human up way back when. It dropped in price to practically nothing very quickly since it didn't sell at all, but it's actually a pretty solid game if you like Diablolikes. It's flawed, sure, but it's worth a playthrough regardless.

[quote name='Lord Chabelo']Struck out at two different GameStop locations through the pick up at store option, even though the website listed them as having it in stock, NOT low stock[/QUOTE]

Same here. Might as well order online at 5.99

Wonder if they gut their online new orders

Worth trying for the price. I didn't like the combat and found it way too hard, but the story/presentation for the first level was great (for the time at least, probably looks dated now).

People who bash Silicon Knights though...just try Eternal Darkness...

bread's done
Back