10% off disc10
Latest Transformers news:

• Dark of the Moon toyline to be released at retail on May 15, 2011
  • Transformers Prime toyline to be released at retail in October 2011
Latest Transformers figures available at retail now:

• Generations Warpath, Kup, and Scourge
  • Dark of the Moon Preview Pack Cyberverse Optimus Prime

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='pjb16']So are TFs definitely buy 2 get 1 free at Toys R Us starting tomorrow through next Saturday? I was going togo look for MP Thundercracker today, but if the sale starts tomorrow I'll just wait.[/QUOTE]

According to their site, the answer is "yes" :D

Went to my local store...still no Masterpiece Thundercracker. There are still two 'Rage Over Cybertron' packs left for $42.99, which makes me wish I hadn't bought one a few weeks ago (which would have left three total). One is loose in packaging, a return I suppose, so I could have taken that one for display and flipped the MISB packages on eBay...

Sadly, the only other figures they had that I want are FoC Optimus and Jazz...heck, the only other figures they even have in the $15 price range besides those are DotM and Prime Bumblebees...I wonder if the deal works on crossover Transformers, though...I did like the look of the Avengers Captain America figure for $22.99...

I might check back later in the week, but chances are I'll just be skipping the sale all together, unless the Combaticons magically hit stores this week.

Just want to give a huge shoutout to fellow CAG yakkotank for finding, offering, and selling me an MP:TC at cost! Truly a great human being!

On a related note: I generally like the changes, especially in the tailfins/legs area, but don't really understand the need to have the null rays on ball jointed hinges. Just seems a bit odd.

Also actually glad he comes with the instructions for the other mold, because I don't have mine handy currently so it was a good way to compare what has really changed :D

Thank you blandstalker for your information. [quote name='GreyFox787']Went to my local store...still no Masterpiece Thundercracker. There are still two 'Rage Over Cybertron' packs left for $42.99[/QUOTE]

Do you have the item number for this? I am interested in tracking down one.

My TRU store had 4 MP Thundercrackers (I grabbed one). If anyone wants one at cost let me know by Saturday and I'll try and go pick it up. I have to go out of town Monday and am tied up Sunday.

[quote name='handsome_bitch']thank you blandstalker for your information.

Do you have the item number for this? I am interested in tracking down one.[/quote]

787681 for Masterpiece Thundercracker. If you were asking about the Rage Over Cybertron pack, I unfortunately do not.

I was in my local store on Monday, and despite having little green stickers that said "9/16" on the shelf tag, they didn't have any MP Thundercrackers then.

I went back today, to take advantage of the B2G1 for Lego minifigures, and they had a MP Thundercracker. So, they restocked sometime between Monday and today.

I found voyager TF Prime Dreadwing at Target this morning. He is awesome. The paint apps are a tad sloppy, but his transformation is satisfying and his robot and alt modes are fairly show accurate. The sword is okay, but as I'm sure most of us agree, the gimmicky light-up mech-tech style gun sux. You can attach the sword to the gun so it looks more like the bayonet equipped one he has in the show but that doesn't really negate the total suckage of the gun.

I have dreadwing too! ... It's the Cyberverse Commander version... (sad that it took this long to finally find one, and at a store accross the street saw the green recolor, who's name escapes me at the moment). Cool little guy. Now to find his big brother :D

[quote name='Zmonkay']... and at a store accross the street saw the green recolor, who's name escapes me at the moment...[/QUOTE]

I believe that would be Dreadwing's dead, once zombified by dark energon, brother Skyquake.

So how does it normally work for TRU preorders. If you got in during the time it was up and got a conf. email, are you guaranteed one?

My luck sucks. :)

[quote name='Thomas96']Damn....I missed the pre order. When is is supposed to be in store? (Mp prime)[/QUOTE]

From what I have been reading around the net, the same time as online... Oct 15th. I guess we shall see. After finally finding my Thundercracker, I am dying to get this Prime.

[quote name='howlinmad']So how does it normally work for TRU preorders. If you got in during the time it was up and got a conf. email, are you guaranteed one?

My luck sucks. :)[/QUOTE]

Generally. Worst I've heard is sometimes they've let people "over-preorder" so they were backordered a few days. I don't recall anything more problematic than that.

Pre-ordered two of them after work yesterday...feels good considering I've missed out of MP Thundercracker so far (though my local TRU should be getting one or more any day now, I believe).

I'm glad it was at least limited to deter scalpers (though not by much, considering multiple accounts and the like), but I really want 3...maybe even 4 of this release...1 to keep in packaging, 1 to display in vehicle form, 1 to display in robot form, and 1 to display interacting with the trailer (might look into getting the 'Dead' Prime version released by Takara to lie in the trailer...I dunno.

Broke the bank a little bit, though...still planning to get 2 Sideswipes and at least 1 Soundwave...maybe 2 if funds will allow it.

I'm having the worst luck EVER. The girlfriend was going to get me one for our anniversary, got to the preorder page, left it up overnight (she got distracted at work), came back and of course, it was gone.
So October 15th is the street date--except that I have a doctor's appointment halfway across California at 8 am THAT VERY DAY.
I would reschedule, but chances are I wouldn't get another appointment for another month, and it's a semi-important one.
Silly question: they probably won't allow layaway for that, would they? I just want to get ahead of the scalpers for once in my life. I would camp out at 6 am just to show them up if I could reschedule.

[quote name='Watchman']Silly question: they probably won't allow layaway for that, would they? I just want to get ahead of the scalpers for once in my life. I would camp out at 6 am just to show them up if I could reschedule.[/QUOTE]

The TRU by me had a TC on layaway at one point, so I think it's possible.

Not too sure on what exactly constitutes "layaway" but at the very least the stores near me, if they have something in stock when I call, are willing to hold it at the service counter for me that day. I don't think that's what you are asking though.

I know in store they CANNOT order just 1 of something like this for a customer (a great employee at my local store tried every way he could think of for MP:TC but eventually called the manager who confirmed it's not possible.)

[quote name='ryosnk']Is the mp optimus prime a tru exclusive?[/QUOTE]

It's supposed to be, but BBTS has it for sale as well--for TWICE the asking price.

Man, I hate them.

[quote name='Zmonkay']Not too sure on what exactly constitutes "layaway" but at the very least the stores near me, if they have something in stock when I call, are willing to hold it at the service counter for me that day. I don't think that's what you are asking though.

I know in store they CANNOT order just 1 of something like this for a customer (a great employee at my local store tried every way he could think of for MP:TC but eventually called the manager who confirmed it's not possible.)[/QUOTE]

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of most--them not being able to even look the darn thing up. But layaway is basically putting a small part of the item's price down and having it held behind the counter for X amount of time. Wal-Mart for example will hold something from September through a few weeks before Christmas for you.

[quote name='Watchman']It's supposed to be, but BBTS has it for sale as well--for TWICE the asking price.

Man, I hate them.

Yeah, that's what I was afraid of most--them not being able to even look the darn thing up. But layaway is basically putting a small part of the item's price down and having it held behind the counter for X amount of time. Wal-Mart for example will hold something from September through a few weeks before Christmas for you.[/QUOTE]

I believe the one at BBTS is the Takara one or the one from Hong Kong. If it is the TRU exclusive one, that is highway robbery.

So, the Transformers Club is selling Vehicon, Sergeant Kup, and Decepticon Rumble.

The only kicker is that for each of those, you have to also buy a Bumblebee or other TF:prime transformer (but mostly Bumblebee) and it costs 27.99. And then you have to fork over shipping which is at least 11.75

So about $39 for one of these guys. fuck that. I'd rather go to eBay and give money to someone who is at least honest about being a scalper. It would cost less, too.

Grr.

That's horse shit. Trying to clear out BB stock?

Also, didn't really care about the "GDO" line or whatever (the asian exclusive repaints/retools that are now TRU exclusive) but GDO Cliffjumper is actually Prime FE Cliff with a more G1 head... dammit, now I need to start haunting TRU's again.

Just how many damn lines do HasTak have going right now? Prime, Cyberverse. Bot Shots, GDO, and Arm Micron are just the few I can think off the top of my head.

[quote name='mickeyp']What is GDO? sorry[/QUOTE]

They are essentially Generations that were only released to the Asian markets. Then someone decided "Hey, we can make money with those" and so they became TRU exclusives.

In one sense, it's brilliant because they are recolors that would have probably shelfwarmed. At the very least, they wouldn't have been a really big deal. But make 'em TRU exclusives and instant collectors' items!

Today I had a job interview that was an hour from my house. What better way to deal with the distance than go to a bunch of stores I ordinarily wouldn't?

I went to 10 stores -- 4 Targets, 3 Wal-Marts, and 3 Toys R Us

Number of Transformers purchased: ZERO

Sightings:

Airachnid: 0
Vehicon: 0
Sergeant Kup: 0
Decepticon Rumble: 0
GDO Deluxes: 0
GDO Scouts: 1 (not interested in these)

Okay, so Vehicon was a long shot. But none of any of them? More surprises:

Arcee: 0
Ratchet: 2
Knock Out: 4 (in two stores)
Dead End: 2 (in one store)
Voyager Dreadwing: 0
Hot Shot: 0

DVD Deluxe Wave: 4 stores

This is the wave that has reships Vehicon and may have Kup/Rumble. Stores are getting this wave, sort of. You can tell a store gets this wave thanks to the leftover Bumblebees, Wheeljacks, and Knockouts. It hit 2 of the Targets, 2 of the Wal-Marts, and no TRUs.

Other notes:

Of the 3 TRUs, only one had GDO and it was one lousy scout. That store had the peg for Deluxe GDO, but it was filled with Fall of Cybertron. Did they have them and they sold out? Are they due in any day? No idea. Don't really care anymore.

Speaking of FoC, it is way way overstocked. Optimus and Jazz are everywhere, and stores are littered with Optimus. Not every store has Shockwave, but he's not hard to find. However, there's not going to be room for the Bruticus guys...

The other things that are way overstocked are Bumblebees, as you all know. 9 out of 10 stores had either only him, him and Cliff, or him and a smattering of others. The tenth store didn't have any only because it was a Wal-Mart that had had enough and clearanced all the Revealers for $5. None left.

The DVD wave is ridiculous for including Bumblebee. This is the major evidence left that the store got the wave. That and Wheeljack. Guess what: people still don't want them.

Toys R Us as a rule is disorganized. Half their inventory is DotM and this wave was released one year ago. None had MP Thundercracker, not even a shelf tag. All of them only had PRiD Deluxe Bumblebee and that's it. TRU as a rule has their stuff all over the place in no discernable order. One of the stores had plenty of DotM Cyberverse Preview Optimus -- the one with the 3D glasses. Sheesh.

That's not to say the other stores are much better. Not one store I went to today had a solid, contiguous TF section. It was either invaded on the sides by action figures or on the bottom by Bakugans or in two to three discrete sections.

This is embarrassing. It's clear that neither Hasbro nor the retailers give a shit anymore. I know they don't have a movie now, but really? Half-hearted doesn't even cover it. A major money-making toyline and it's worse than an outlet store.

Kre-O: Take everything I just said and multiply it. Kre-O sets are all over the place, not contiguous, and horribly laid out. Battleship and Transformers are intertwined, and interrupted by other stuff that isn't even Kre-O. There's no visual sense to any of it. I'd blame the retailers, but they manage to keep their Lego sets well ordered.

The new sets are kind of underwhelming and nobody in their right mind is going to spend 99.99 on Kre-O Devastator, especially when most of the stores still had one or more of the original Kre-O sets at a deeply discounted price, trying to get rid of it.

Contrast this with one aisle over: welcome to Lego, where everything is orderly and in quantity.

The only downside with Lego is that stores don't carry every item in a line. Target doesn't have the Star Wars Landspeeder. Wal-Mart doesn't have one of the Avengers sets. Neither have the Batman Fun House.

But between Target, Wal-Mart, and TRU, they all have everything in the line, including all the ones I named above. Every store I went to today was well organized, well stocked, and (shocker) had recent items that people wanted to buy.

Failing that, I could go home and order anything in their catalog from their website. This company actually makes it a point to stock hard to find items so you can buy them. Without having to buy Bumblebees too.

So, I'm done. I've made rumblings before about ordering online and what have you, but I'm officially done with going to stores. I did not expect to come home with everything I hoped for today, but I did expect something and I also expected to see some of the other things that I have seen only one time and should be seeing regularly now. It is disturbing that I didn't run into a single Airachnid or Dreadwing.

It's clear to me that Hasbro is just encouraging this and fucking with us. PRiD has been with us since February and Hasbro is still shortpacking and creating scalper-bait in every wave. What the hell is this DVD wave? One each of Kup, Vehicon, and Rumble while still shipping pegwarmers like Bumblebee and Wheeljack? I feel like they're flipping me the bird. By including Rumble and Kup (who is, what, not in any other wave? Brilliant!) they're making the problem worse, not better. This wave is your one stop scalper shop. Shipping two each of Vehicon, Airachnid, Kup, and Rumble? No, that would make too much sense.

I don't know what they're doing anymore except pissing everyone off. If it's not about the collectors, why do they seem to be doing their damnedest to create artificial "demand" with impossible to find regular characters, exclusives that are notoriously difficult to obtain, and items that can only be found on eBay? I don't know how this benefits them, much less anyone but scalpers. Yet it continues. It worsens.

So, I ordered Vehicon, Kup, and Rumble off eBay. It's galling to me, but now they're taken care of -- I don't have to bother any more with what's going to be re-released in which wave maybe if I ever see it as they dribble out one at a time and get snapped up by scalpers. Today showed me that trying to find these things in stores is little more than gambling -- you put in money and time and what you get out is entirely dependent on luck and timing, and more often than not you'll end up with nothing.

And yeah, I may now be adding to the problem, but I didn't create it and I have no control over it. Even if I could go to 10+ stores a day, today shows me that wouldn't necessarily help. It's a total crapshoot, and I no longer want to play.

I can also stop checking HasbroToyShop, which can't keep things in stock and hasn't had Vehicon. Right now, they have Airachnid and Kup (but no Rumble or, of course, Vehicon). Making an in-demand item available to hungry customers? No, that would make too much sense.

By the end of today I was exhausted and drained. I didn't waste much gas since I had to make the trip anyway, but I pissed away time and energy. And remember -- these are stores outside my area. I have still been going to the ones in my area, and the results are pretty similar. A whole lotta Bumblebees and little else.

From now on, I'll check the toy department if I happen to be in a store, but I'm done with inventing reasons to drop by and I'm done with checking in for the heck of it. If I want it, I'll order it. The extra cost is justified by no gas, no tax, and no bullshit. I have better things to do with my time than a fruitless and pointless waste of time.

This also means I'll be buying less, because there are always those marginal ones that I might or might not buy. If I ever run into them, great. If not, no loss. The GDO are a perfect example. I only really wanted Wheelie for shits and giggles, but since I already have the mold, I can tell TRU to go fuck themselves.

I'll be putting leftover money and energy into Lego. They're not my 'thing', like Transformers, but at least the company doesn't go out of their way to make it difficult to obtain their product. I'm tired of throwing money at Hasbro, a company that makes an awesome product but seems hellbent on making purchasing it into a tedious and annoying chore that saps the joy right out of it. I'm going to be sending part of what used to be their money to a company that wants me as a customer.

Sorry to hear the frustration has finally gotten the better of you blankstalker. Can't say that I blame you any.

But I can say I'll be looking forward to your posts in the Lego forum!

Completely agree with everything you said blandstalker. It's absolutely rediculous and I'm not entirely clear if its Hasbro, the stores, or more than likely both.

I'm about to go the same route, but instead of Lego's start investing more in 3rd party items. Really want both not-Devestators and the hearts of steel stuff...

[quote name='Zmonkay']Completely agree with everything you said blandstalker. It's absolutely rediculous and I'm not entirely clear if its Hasbro, the stores, or more than likely both.

I'm about to go the same route, but instead of Lego's start investing more in 3rd party items. Really want both not-Devestators and the hearts of steel stuff...[/QUOTE]

Someone made Hearts of Steel toys? :drool:

With the GDO's , they are TRU exclusive. Are they remolds or retools of others characters that we have gotten already?

Last edited by a moderator:
I myself actually have contemplated getting out of TF's after Prime is over (I can't quit this one, the bots are fun re-imaginings and in the case of some, brilliant transformations like Ratchet, Arcee and Soundwave). That said, the distinct chance I won't score a MP-10 Prime in the first week looms large (as I mentioned earlier, it's the one day I actually won't be able to camp out due to an appointment), and frankly, that's all I really want to finally call it quits--one true, honest-to-god Gen1 animated replica of my childhood hero.
What irks me is again what most of Blandstalker said. Hasbro's gone off the rails with their logic, shortpacking, repainting and re-releasing existing figures no one wants anymore. I could walk into just about any retailer and pick up a Cliffjumper or Wheeljack amongst all the 'Bees, but heaven forfend I should ever find a Vehicon, a personality-less drone that merely serves as cannon fodder.
When you have a TF like that and can't find one to save your life, someone's clearly letting the inmates run the asylum.
Incidentally, I talked to a very in-the-know fella at my TRU (himself being a former collector and has since gotten out because of the same reasons we all have) and he truly thinks it won't be that hard to find a Prime MP-10 or T'Cracker (he said at one point they actually had eight sitting on their shelves, and of course some scalper one day wandered in and snatched them all up), but he's still seeing boxes of four flow in almost on a weekly basis, which is why he thinks Prime won't be that tough either (he also spoke to the reps of Hasbro at SDCC, and they are fully aware of the demand--while it won't have T'Cracker numbers on shelves, it should dribble in for months afterward as well--TRU apparently is well aware of the MP Rodimus debacle and doesn't want a repeat this year).

Regardless, like many of you despite having free time to drive around and hunt, it's just not fun anymore. My TRU fella says there's a handful of scalpers that hit my store every week like clockwork, which means they're sweeping the other stores as well. I already got to run into one face-to-face during a Cars exclusive car sale at K-Mart a few months back--prick brought his entire family with him, and all four got their tickets pulled in the raffle to pick first. By the time the rest of us got to pick, all the good cars were gone because he'd buy four of each shortpacked one. I explained I was actually getting these for my only nephew, only a few years old who cannot get enough of his favorite red racecar and friends. His excuse to me? "Hey man, I gotta feed my family."
Go get a real fucking job then asshole and quit ripping off your fellow man.

Sorry for the language, I just... I cannot abide anyone extorting toys that are initially there for children first to enjoy, not make a buck off of. Me personally I'm just extending my childhood some twenty years, and frankly I'm lucky my absolute favorite toy line of all ever made it this far. I still take out every single one out of their packages and pose them on my shelves, rendering their value nearly worthless. I buy them for me.
But like I said, I think I'm done. I like what I have on my shelves--I don't need them all, just the ones I like, be it their paint job, their transformation, their vehicle mode, or the character themself. But after I find Optimus, I think it's time to move on and stick to Lego kits too (just got the VW wagon for my gf for our anniversary--I'm aiming at getting the Sopwith Camel next).

[quote name='mickeyp']With the GDO's , they are TRU exclusive. Are they remolds or retools of others characters that we have gotten already?[/QUOTE]

Yes, with the exception of Cliffjumper.

Wheelie is the Generations Blurr/Drift mold with a new head.
Springer is RtS Tomahawk painted green with a Springery head
Swerve is Kup painted red with a new head
Cliffjumper is FE Prime Cliffjumper with a G1 head

Obviously, the one of most interest to US customers is Cliffjumper because it's the First Edition mold, which was the hardest FE deluxe to get.

Then there are the Voyagers, the most notable of which is Inferno/Grapple recolored into Hot Spot. I like this idea, but it seems kind of pointless without the rest of the Protectobots. Also, how many copies of this mold are they going to do?

I like the Tomahawk mold and I like Springer, but I'm really tired of the "Hey, it's a helicopter...let's paint it green and call it Springer" laziness. Were it not a TRU exclusive, I might have bought it anyway to replace Tomahawk, but whatever. Not losing any sleep over it.

For someone like myself who is trying to get back into the hobby.. all of this is just confusing. I am thinking of just sticking with the masterpiece series and be done with it. I am mostly interested in G1 anyway. If someone else can suggest a G1 line, please let me know. Not too crazy about the movie transformers myself.

[quote name='mickeyp']I read that wheelie is like RTS special ops Jazz.[/QUOTE]

Oh, you're totally right. Dunno why I got those confused. Thanks for pointing that out.

[quote name='Bubbamel']For someone like myself who is trying to get back into the hobby.. all of this is just confusing. I am thinking of just sticking with the masterpiece series and be done with it. I am mostly interested in G1 anyway. If someone else can suggest a G1 line, please let me know. Not too crazy about the movie transformers myself.[/QUOTE]

Try the Classics line from a few years ago, that was great stuff. That line beget the current Generations line. You may also want to look at the War for Cybertron and Fall of Cybertron lines.

[quote name='doctordoom']Try the Classics line from a few years ago, that was great stuff. That line beget the current Generations line. You may also want to look at the War for Cybertron and Fall of Cybertron lines.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for that. I had the G2 Bruticus pre-ordered at Amazon, and I accidentally cancelled the order... I know I know.

[quote name='Bubbamel']For someone like myself who is trying to get back into the hobby.. all of this is just confusing. I am thinking of just sticking with the masterpiece series and be done with it. I am mostly interested in G1 anyway. If someone else can suggest a G1 line, please let me know. Not too crazy about the movie transformers myself.[/QUOTE]

If you're interested in G1, I would suggest the Classics/Generations lines. They're G1 characters with modern articulation and engineering.

The only problem is that Classics especially are highly sought after and expensive.

I'd start by taking a look at the more recent Generations and see what you think of those. Some of them are still available at Toys R Us (at least, they are at my local store). The most recent toys were:

Under the Generations line: Scourge, Kup, Wheeljack, Warpath, Thundercracker, Thunderwing, Red Alert, Blurr, Junkheap

Under the Reveal the Shield line: Jazz, Tracks, Wreck-Gar, G2 Laser Prime, Grapple, Hot Rod/Cyclonus 2 pack

I think all of these are amazing -- of them, only Blurr is kind of iffy for me, since I think his Animated version did a much better and more faithful update.

Everything else, though, is like getting a G1 toy all over again without it being an unposeable brick. Some of them, it's just like having them pop out of the TV. Scourge, Kup, Jazz, Tracks, and Wreck-Gar -- it's hard to imagine them getting any better than this.

I haven't checked prices on these lately, but they shouldn't be too bad. Thanks to Hasbro's mismanagement, there were alternately shortages and gluts, so you should be able to track down most of them reasonably. My local TRU still has Warpath, Wheeljack, Junkheap and Sky Shadow, so depending on how bad your local TRU is, they might still have some too. A quick peek at Amazon showed that many of them can be gotten cheaply.

From there you can decide if it's worth it to you to pursue more of them. It's still possible to get Classics without too much expense so long as you're patient, but it just gets harder every year. And personally, I'd sell off my G1 stuff before I'd sell off my Classics, just because I think Classics/Generations really does the job of bringing the original characters to life.

bread's done
Back