TRU Black Friday Ad leaked! 5pm Thanksgiving!

Dumbest remark on the entire board... "Go work somewhere else, you knew what you would have to do"

That is completely untrue, All I was told was that I would be required to work Black Friday! NOT THANKSGIVING!!! I have never been told that when I have interviewed for any retail jobs....
Should've asked holmes.

See that's the deal...companies know jobs are in low supply high demand so they can get away with poor work hours. I took a 15% pay cut and demoted to part time (as did pretty much everyone else at my workplace) because of this fact. So we really can't go work elsewhere (I'm not in retail though)....

I do blame a lot of the fools at walmart that can't do simple math. "Hey 10% off that display model tv that's been there for 8 months...that's a deal...." People need to browse online more and price check crap.

365 days in there year...the only reason people get out and shop on black friday is because they THINK they can save a ton of money and buy things they couldn't afford before....which 99% of the time simply isn't the truth.
I agree with all you've said. Having said that, it still comes down to the employee choosing to remain with the company. A lot of the time is because they need the money or can't find something better but the fact remains they choose to be there. Companies definitely take advantage, which is why I suggest anyone that can to go work somewhere else. I worked at a video store that was open year round, I did that for a few years and when I got tired of working holidays and some other things, I went and got another job that didn't require me to be there on Christmas for example.

So ToysRus ad leaked... not too bad on games!

Same PS3 bundle as Gamestop

Buy one get one for $1 on 19.99 and 14.99 games

Big one is Buy one get one 40% off on ALL games, ad shows a picture of an Xbox One game

http://bfads.net/Black-Friday/Toys-R-Us/Ad

Not sure if I need to show the scan or what the rules are about that.

this year's bf ad is terrible! We get B1G1 40% all the time here - what makes this so special? I'm not saying it's not a deal; I'm trying to figure out how this is supposed to stand out as its once-a-year "blowout" and how they expect us to wait in five hour lines for a deal that I can get on a quiet Monday afternoon.

Josh clearly wasn't invited to the meeting about these deals.

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with all you've said. Having said that, it still comes down to the employee choosing to remain with the company. A lot of the time is because they need the money or can't find something better but the fact remains they choose to be there. Companies definitely take advantage, which is why I suggest anyone that can to go work somewhere else. I worked at a video store that was open year round, I did that for a few years and when I got tired of working holidays and some other things, I went and got another job that didn't require me to be there on Christmas for example.
somewhat agree. many managers dont understand basic economics and basic incentive fundamentals. unhappy worker = poor performance/inadequate production = decreased sales = bye bye business

Unless you are desperate for one of these deals, don't go to Toys R Us on Black Friday. (or Thanksgiving itself, for that matter) I've been there. And I can confirm that I had to wait in line for almost 5 hours just to buy a small smattering of games. Thankfully, the games I was there for did not seem to be hotly contested. Most of the shoppers there were far more interested in the numerous other deals. So there were plenty of copies available when I got up to the register. I didn't have to face down anyone over who got the last copy of anything, and thank goodness. Some of the mothers I was standing in line with were not to be trifled with. I do not think I could have stood my ground against any of them.

Toys R Us is ground zero for Black Friday. They are much more organized than stores like Wal-Mart or Target. But EVERYONE shows up to Toys R Us. The demand for all those children's toys for Christmas shopping is insane. And while the demand for individual video games doesn't tend to be as high, the games are kept in the electronics section. And the electronics section is also home to all of the door-buster sale tablets. And the demand on those seems to be crazy high. Everyone is buying tablets for their kids these days. So the line for the electronics section won't be any shorter, even if the items you're shooting for aren't in high demand.

For Black Friday, your best bet is to go to Wal-Mart first, but don't line up early. In fact, you're better off not being there when the store opens. Just head to one a half hour after it opens. That will minimize the risk of you getting trampled. (or any other type of physical confrontation) Most of the individual game deals will still be around for a few hours after the doors open. Some of them will endure for most of Black Friday.

You should line up for specialty stores like GameStop. Those stores are smaller, and can't afford to buy in as much bulk. So a lot of their supply is going to be more limited. They are also a lot more targeted in their commercial focus. Anyone who goes there is going to be directly competing with you for game sales. A lot of the consumers at Target and Wal-Mart will be shopping for non-gaming deals, reducing the competition.

For anyone who doesn't think that Black Friday absolutely destroys the Thanksgiving holiday: go fuck yourselves. Even those of us with holiday pay/paid vacation time are SOL from Black Friday through Xmas and it makes planning family events almost impossible. I can see opening up on Friday morning super early but Thursday openings are bullshit.
It doesn't. We had our Thanksgiving meal around noon last year because my shift is 2 to 10. If you can't figure out how to spend time with family and then get to work by 5pm, you need to work on your time management skills. Thanks for telling us to go fuck ourselves, though. It's awfully appreciated since no one said anything so rude to you.

It doesn't. We had our Thanksgiving meal around noon last year because my shift is 2 to 10. If you can't figure out how to spend time with family and then get to work by 5pm, you need to work on your time management skills. Thanks for telling us to go fuck ourselves, though. It's awfully appreciated since no one said anything so rude to you.
Very well said. I swear some people make it sound like you can only see your family one day out of the whole year! Make time out of your so called busy life to spend time with them. I worked retail before and now I'm in the medical field. Guess what? Hospitals never close so I still work Holidays! It pays the bills and feeds the family. They are paid for their services. It's not like they are being forced to be there for free.

My family is eight hours away, so if I had to work at 5pm there would be no chance in hell of celebrating with them.

And yes, you can fuck yourself. Just because someone works in retail doesn't mean that corporations can walk all over them and make them skip national holidays for a tiny bump in quarterly profits. I'm sick of companies treating their employees like cogs in a machine; you can run a profitable retail chain without destroying a national holiday.

A lot of people visit one side of the family for lunch and the other side for dinner, so it does affect a lot of people, even those with awesome time management skills.

Very well said. I swear some people make it sound like you can only see your family one day out of the whole year! Make time out of your so called busy life to spend time with them. I worked retail before and now I'm in the medical field. Guess what? Hospitals never close so I still work Holidays! It pays the bills and feeds the family. They are paid for their services. It's not like they are being forced to be there for free.
Not everyone's family is within a reasonable traveling distance, and not everyone has time to see their family whenever. Hence a national day off.

Well said... and I would love to have worked a 5-10 shift!!  that is NOTHING!!  but when you work a 6 pm to 6 am shift, you will have to spend most of the day sleeping just so you can stay awake!

the 12-14 hour shifts over night are what kill, if it wasbe there at work at 1 like it use to, then yes it would work, you just sleep from like 5 or 6 till midnight, but with this it doesn't.....

I take as either A. You got a small family or
B. your turkey doesn't come out tasting good because my family is up at like 6am and doesn't get done completely with the cooking till around 4pm so unless your family pulls an all nighter on Wednesday night then your point is moot.

My family is eight hours away, so if I had to work at 5pm there would be no chance in hell of celebrating with them.

And yes, you can fuck yourself. Just because someone works in retail doesn't mean that corporations can walk all over them and make them skip national holidays for a tiny bump in quarterly profits. I'm sick of companies treating their employees like cogs in a machine; you can run a profitable retail chain without destroying a national holiday.
If it bothers you so much, quit and find a job that doesn't require you be there on a holiday.

Does anyone have experience buying something beforehand and then trying to do a return/rebuy to get the Black Friday price at TRU?

Or would I be better off ad matching at WalMart?  Any word on if they're continuing their Black Friday price matching again this year?

So basically:

$192 + tax = 4 games at Toys R Us.

$120 + tax = 3 games at Target.

Target wins.

I used to work at walmart from 10pm -7am and loved it except on holidays when they want you to work at like 5x the normal speed and if you don't they Write you up.

Unless you are desperate for one of these deals, don't go to Toys R Us on Black Friday. (or Thanksgiving itself, for that matter) I've been there. And I can confirm that I had to wait in line for almost 5 hours just to buy a small smattering of games. Thankfully, the games I was there for did not seem to be hotly contested. Most of the shoppers there were far more interested in the numerous other deals. So there were plenty of copies available when I got up to the register. I didn't have to face down anyone over who got the last copy of anything, and thank goodness. Some of the mothers I was standing in line with were not to be trifled with. I do not think I could have stood my ground against any of them.

Toys R Us is ground zero for Black Friday. They are much more organized than stores like Wal-Mart or Target. But EVERYONE shows up to Toys R Us. The demand for all those children's toys for Christmas shopping is insane. And while the demand for individual video games doesn't tend to be as high, the games are kept in the electronics section. And the electronics section is also home to all of the door-buster sale tablets. And the demand on those seems to be crazy high. Everyone is buying tablets for their kids these days. So the line for the electronics section won't be any shorter, even if the items you're shooting for aren't in high demand.

For Black Friday, your best bet is to go to Wal-Mart first, but don't line up early. In fact, you're better off not being there when the store opens. Just head to one a half hour after it opens. That will minimize the risk of you getting trampled. (or any other type of physical confrontation) Most of the individual game deals will still be around for a few hours after the doors open. Some of them will endure for most of Black Friday.

You should line up for specialty stores like GameStop. Those stores are smaller, and can't afford to buy in as much bulk. So a lot of their supply is going to be more limited. They are also a lot more targeted in their commercial focus. Anyone who goes there is going to be directly competing with you for game sales. A lot of the consumers at Target and Wal-Mart will be shopping for non-gaming deals, reducing the competition.
Pro-tip: Amazon instead.

I was in the news business for 10 years and my wife still works in TV news. We were always working on Thanksgiving. And neither of us bitched and whined about it. We always just had the family over on Saturday and celebrated then.

So basically:

$192 + tax = 4 games at Toys R Us.

$120 + tax = 3 games at Target.

Target wins.
Only problem with that logic is the selection that will be available at TRU vs. what's out during Target's B2G1, but yeah, I'm still going to try to take advantage of Target's deal,t oo.

Depends on how much you enjoy chaos and waiting.
After reading that other guy's warning I'm going to avoid TRU for sure. I'm just trying to find confirmation on how to get these ad prices matched at WalMart. It should work fine since I'm going for something that has an exact sale price right?

16GB micro SD cards AND flash drives for $5?! That's enough reason to go for me.
You can avoid TRU if that's what you're going for. Those things will be dirt cheap everywhere. I remember getting a 32GB one for $10 last year at Staples or Office Depot. And they still had plenty like Friday afternoon.

It's for my 6-year-old. I'm sure he'll think it's worth it.
No, I don't mean that it's not a good deal, or that your child won't enjoy it. I specifically mean that the money you would save from this bargain is not worth the amount of time and trouble you will have to spend acquiring it. Even if we chalk up a best-case scenario where there are plenty of these in stock and you have no trouble getting one, you will still be standing in line waiting for at least 3 hours, probably closer to 5. The time cost and discomfort you experience from that completely offsets the savings for the game.

I would consider the Skylander's pack to be a prime deal as well. But I WILL NOT wait in line at Toys R Us just for that. I would strongly recommend going elsewhere for that item. The only way I would brave Toys R Us for that is if there were seven or eight other deals I was also looking at getting at the same time.

After reading that other guy's warning I'm going to avoid TRU for sure. I'm just trying to find confirmation on how to get these ad prices matched at WalMart. It should work fine since I'm going for something that has an exact sale price right?
I Think as long as you have an ad you should be fine since nearly everyone last year was able to price match things like that infamous Microsoft point error in the ad. So I don't see how Wal Mart will give you any problems with this.

No, I don't mean that it's not a good deal, or that your child won't enjoy it. I specifically mean that the money you would save from this bargain is not worth the amount of time and trouble you will have to spend acquiring it. Even if we chalk up a best-case scenario where there are plenty of these in stock and you have no trouble getting one, you will still be standing in line waiting for at least 3 hours, probably closer to 5. The time cost and discomfort you experience from that completely offsets the savings for the game.

I would consider the Skylander's pack to be a prime deal as well. But I WILL NOT wait in line at Toys R Us just for that. I would strongly recommend going elsewhere for that item. The only way I would brave Toys R Us for that is if there were seven or eight other deals I was also looking at getting at the same time.
My fault for misunderstanding you. I guess trying to price-match Wal-Mart will be my best bet if they're open during those hours. Otherwise I can swallow paying $50 at Gamestop if they have them at 8 p.m. I also wonder if I'd have better luck at Gamestop since the manager knows me and I might feel him out about doing a return/rebuy there.

I Think as long as you have an ad you should be fine since nearly everyone last year was able to price match things like that infamous Microsoft point error in the ad. So I don't see how Wal Mart will give you any problems with this.
Thanks, now I just need to find out what time they open on Thanksgiving since the deal is only good until 9 p.m.

I don't see any issue having sales on Thanksgiving because the companies are not forcing the employees to work at the store, if the employees don't like working holidays they are free to go work at a place that isn't opened on a holiday. If you get a job a Toys R Us you already pretty much know what you're signing up for I would think. Also, not everyone cares about a specific holiday, or even has family around so they would probably rather make some $ than be in their house doing nothing.
You'd make a good candidate for Best Buy's new CEO, since the old one was ousted... you worthless dog.

Thanks, now I just need to find out what time they open on Thanksgiving since the deal is only good until 9 p.m.
Wal Mart? Majority should still be 24 hours still since alot of people last year found out that the prices had changed for Black Friday early Thanksgiving morning so they got their stuff without any crowds. It's sad how I remember all of this like fond memories.

Wal Mart? Majority should still be 24 hours still since alot of people last year found out that the prices had changed for Black Friday early Thanksgiving morning so they got their stuff without any crowds. It's sad how I remember all of this like fond memories.
Yeah but even the 24-hour WalMarts close for some holidays...I didn't know if Thanksgiving were different. I haven't done the Thursday night thing before.

I know I will be alone in this but  fuck places opening at 5pm on Thanksgiving.

I am not giving my business to a place that cant let its employees have 1 day off with their families.

Yeah but even the 24-hour WalMarts close for some holidays...I didn't know if Thanksgiving were different. I haven't done the Thursday night thing before.
The one's for alot of CAG's were open Thanksgiving still last year hence able to pick up Wal Mart deals early. Though I still think it's a YMMV thing, but I think as long as you don't live in a state that says it can't open on Thanksgiving you should be okay going there at 5PM-9PM or whatever and price matching as long as the policy is still the same as last year.

I know I will be alone in this but fuck places opening at 5pm on Thanksgiving.

I am not giving my business to a place that cant let its employees have 1 day off with their families.
it wouldnt be a problem if those who agreed to work on black friday got paid holiday pay. more responsibility = more compensation.

You'd make a good candidate for Best Buy's new CEO, since the old one was ousted... you worthless dog.
You can call names if that makes you feel big, but facts are facts. No one is forcing anyone to work, they choose to do it. Don't like it, try something else. All there is to it.

bread's done
Back