TRU Black Friday Ad leaked! 5pm Thanksgiving!

So the easiest way of making sure that this 5 PM on Thanksgiving thing stops is not going.  Now I know many will not go but there will be enough that it makes sense for the company who banks on the last month or so to stay a float (Toys R Us).  Its sad but its not going to stop when you have stupid people jump on it to save a few bucks it is the same people that will be shopping Thanksgiving day that will start a fist fight at WalMart over the last copy of GTA V

I was in the news business for 10 years and my wife still works in TV news. We were always working on Thanksgiving. And neither of us bitched and whined about it. We always just had the family over on Saturday and celebrated then.
Sure, but ever think that maybe the news business is a little more important then the person working Thankgiving so that a the great un-washed of America can get their waffle iron for $3? Yes I understand that some people need to work thanksgiving because of the service that they provide is needed (cops, news, medical) but people at McDonalds and Retail not so much that is just the corporation being a dick.

Last edited by a moderator:
So the easiest way of making sure that this 5 PM on Thanksgiving thing stops is not going. Now I know many will not go but there will be enough that it makes sense for the company who banks on the last month or so to stay a float (Toys R Us). Its sad but its not going to stop when you have stupid people jump on it to save a few bucks it is the same people that will be shopping Thanksgiving day that will start a fist fight at WalMart over the last copy of GTA V
Whats sad is half these people that end up in the store end up paying MSRP for other stuff just because they couldnt find the deal but are in it for the holiday rush.

This ad is very very bad!

From a father, who does all the shopping for my 9 and 6 year old daughters, this is really bad.

That deal on the Furby Boom for half price is decent, except Target just had them for Half off with a coupon.  No good next gen goodies.  I guess the Leappad for $49.99 is decent, but the new one just dwarfs it.

Honestly, the sad thing is, I may end up picking up that BRAVE Bow and Arrow, since my 6 year old has always wanted it, and $25 was too much for a piece of junk. 

Toys R Us has done so much better in the past than this. 

I was in the news business for 10 years and my wife still works in TV news. We were always working on Thanksgiving. And neither of us bitched and whined about it. We always just had the family over on Saturday and celebrated then.
Agree strongly. When I was younger I worked at a theme park and without fail every year I had to work on every holiday. People learn to adjust their schedules. We just had Thanksgiving dinner at 6:00 p.m. when I got home instead of early afternoon like we used to do. Personally, our family loves going out on Thansgiving Day since once the turkey and other items are in the oven, it's hours of waiting and we're all close enough that it's not like that single day is the only time we ever see each other. The last few years we have hit up Kmart and the 24 hour Walmart just to break up the monotony of sitting around the house waiting.

Sure, but ever think that maybe the news business is a little more important then the person working Thankgiving so that a the great un-washed of America can get their waffle iron for $3? Yes I understand that some people need to work thanksgiving because of the service that they provide is needed (cops, news, medical) but people at McDonalds and Retail not so much that is just the corporation being a dick.
Lots of industries keep running during holidays. Grocery stores are usually open at least part of the day as are fast food, theme parks, gas stations, and the list goes on. I always find it amazing that the same people who bitch about retailers making employees work tend to be the same people that oppose living wages and free health care. Do you really care about the employees or is this just another attempt to force a religious notion of the holidays on the rest of us?

My family is eight hours away, so if I had to work at 5pm there would be no chance in hell of celebrating with them.

And yes, you can fuck yourself. Just because someone works in retail doesn't mean that corporations can walk all over them and make them skip national holidays for a tiny bump in quarterly profits. I'm sick of companies treating their employees like cogs in a machine; you can run a profitable retail chain without destroying a national holiday.
FYI, it's when you start whining like an entitled bitch that people start hoping that your individual holiday is a disaster. In one page I count 3 individuals working in sectors that are on call 24/7 365 (medical, journalism, and public safety). I don't see a single one of us crying about it either. But go ahead and keep telling us to fuck ourselves because all you are concerned about is your own holiday and how it effects you. You try to take a moral high ground spouting shit like cogs in a corporate machine, but it's just a veil for a selfish desire to not work that day.

That's perfectly fine, btw. Find a job you want with holidays and weekends off, and take the necessary steps to acquire it. As stated by others, if people choose to work jobs that have them working on holidays, they have no right to complain. The argument that the job market is poor and people need these jobs is moot as well. It simply proves the point that people chose to accept said positions, even knowing that it would likely require working some days they would prefer not to. If the don't like it, they don't have to do it, since slavery is abolished, but if they choose that the benefits (like holiday pay and continued employment) outweigh the negatives, they'll show up. Just like if I don't want to work I can not show up and quit and cry on a message board, too. However I enjoy my job, along with the supporting my family and community that goes along with it.

TRU is THE WORST store to be in on BF, if I had a choice, I would rather be in Walmart. Walmart gets more traffic, but they also have more registers, TRU has like 2 registers where I am. I do not want to be stuck in a 6 hour line with soccer moms who are trying to buy their children's love with cheap toys and electronics because if they don't get it for them their kids will call them a bad parent especially when there are like 4 registers in the store at the most. TRU here also attracts a worse crowd than even Walmart here, since everyone has like 6 kids here, and they somehow need a cart of electronics and toys for each kid.

For those of you who stand in line for 4-6 hours HOW in the world do you do it without extreme pain? I would really like to know, I can't stand in a line for more than 10-20 min before my feet start to hurt which means I don't even make it through some regular lines without some pain although usually it's not that much pain. I would like to know what kind of secret all these BF shoppers have that would allow me to stand in a 4 hour line without pain. Right now standing in line for 4 hours might put me in a bed for a month while I heal from the experience. The good thing is I am always shopping with someone, and there is almost always somewhere to sit nearby if the line is too long. I am responsible though and I haven't gone out on BF in years because I know I can't stand it.

Or perhaps the worst is GS, the crowd doesn't even normally fit in the store as it is, I have no idea how such a small store would handle the BF crowd.

Damn, I was hoping to get a deal on WWE 2K14, but that's not much of a deal at buy one, get one 40% off.  They only go for around $50 new on eBay, minus the percentage that eBay and Paypal take.  I wouldn't save any money at all on the copy I keep.

TRU is THE WORST store to be in on BF, if I had a choice, I would rather be in Walmart. Walmart gets more traffic, but they also have more registers, TRU has like 2 registers where I am. I do not want to be stuck in a 6 hour line with soccer moms who are trying to buy their children's love with cheap toys and electronics because if they don't get it for them their kids will call them a bad parent especially when there are like 4 registers in the store at the most. TRU here also attracts a worse crowd than even Walmart here, since everyone has like 6 kids here, and they somehow need a cart of electronics and toys for each kid.

For those of you who stand in line for 4-6 hours HOW in the world do you do it without extreme pain? I would really like to know, I can't stand in a line for more than 10-20 min before my feet start to hurt which means I don't even make it through some regular lines without some pain although usually it's not that much pain. I would like to know what kind of secret all these BF shoppers have that would allow me to stand in a 4 hour line without pain. Right now standing in line for 4 hours might put me in a bed for a month while I heal from the experience. The good thing is I am always shopping with someone, and there is almost always somewhere to sit nearby if the line is too long. I am responsible though and I haven't gone out on BF in years because I know I can't stand it.

Or perhaps the worst is GS, the crowd doesn't even normally fit in the store as it is, I have no idea how such a small store would handle the BF crowd.
you must live in a small town or something, if you complain about gs. i literally have at least 10 different gs in a 10 mile or less radius from my home. if one gs is crowded , i go to the other one. that ps3 bundle will def be available online at almost every retailer, so no point in camping out for that.

TRU is THE WORST store to be in on BF, if I had a choice, I would rather be in Walmart.
Toys R Us could possibly be the worst, but in a different way. I would say Walmart is one of the scariest, and possibly the most dangerous. You always hear the worst horror stories happening at Walmart. If you are smart, these situations are easy enough to avoid, but Walmart never has as good of organization or control.

As bad as Toys R Us is, they do at least keep things organized and civil. The Toys R Us near me always has a police officer show up and stand guard at the entrance to the store. (at the front of the line) Having a police presence seriously cuts down on any altercations or line-cutting. It also helps to prevent any rushing or attempts to push. You never hear about anyone getting trampled at Toys R Us.

You are very correct about the insane waits and crazy lines. I thought my knees were going to give out on me. If anyone plans on braving Toys R Us, be sure to wear the most comfortable, supportive shoes possible. Padded insoles are your best friends.

Avoid the initial rush at Walmart, and avoid Toys R Us entirely if possible. (or go later in the day on Friday) The doorbusters are rarely ever worth it. I would sooner pay full price the day before.

TRU near me made me wait 1 hour last year then I picked up all the stuff I wanted in the very crowded store and waited another hour in line to check out. It was a really shitty experience but I had to buy some stuff for the kids and I wanted it cheap. If you have a Target card, I'd recommend that because last year I was able to buy a bunch of stuff from their site using my Target card and get free shipping. I didn't have to buy hardly anything in store (though I did pick up the half price XBL points in store).

you must live in a small town or something, if you complain about gs. i literally have at least 10 different gs in a 10 mile or less radius from my home. if one gs is crowded , i go to the other one. that ps3 bundle will def be available online at almost every retailer, so no point in camping out for that.
Yeah, there's a ton of them near me too. I can think of at least 3 of them in different directions 1 mile away. I'm sure there's a ton of them within 10 miles. That said, I never go to GS on Black Friday because their deals are shit. This year I'll go to get a couple years of PS+ cheap.

Toys R Us could possibly be the worst, but in a different way. I would say Walmart is one of the scariest, and possibly the most dangerous. You always hear the worst horror stories happening at Walmart. If you are smart, these situations are easy enough to avoid, but Walmart never has as good of organization or control.

As bad as Toys R Us is, they do at least keep things organized and civil. The Toys R Us near me always has a police officer show up and stand guard at the entrance to the store. (at the front of the line) Having a police presence seriously cuts down on any altercations or line-cutting. It also helps to prevent any rushing or attempts to push. You never hear about anyone getting trampled at Toys R Us.

You are very correct about the insane waits and crazy lines. I thought my knees were going to give out on me. If anyone plans on braving Toys R Us, be sure to wear the most comfortable, supportive shoes possible. Padded insoles are your best friends.

Avoid the initial rush at Walmart, and avoid Toys R Us entirely if possible. (or go later in the day on Friday) The doorbusters are rarely ever worth it. I would sooner pay full price the day before.
Walmart fucking sucks. Every year I go to mine they're sold out of everything because I didn't wait in line for 2 hours. It's a super target and crowded as shit but every game and movie I want is gone. I prefer best buy. You can usually go there in the late afternoon on Black Friday itself and be fine and have very little in the way of crowds.

TRU near me made me wait 1 hour last year then I picked up all the stuff I wanted in the very crowded store and waited another hour in line to check out. It was a really shitty experience but I had to buy some stuff for the kids and I wanted it cheap. If you have a Target card, I'd recommend that because last year I was able to buy a bunch of stuff from their site using my Target card and get free shipping. I didn't have to buy hardly anything in store (though I did pick up the half price XBL points in store).

Yeah, there's a ton of them near me too. I can think of at least 3 of them in different directions 1 mile away. I'm sure there's a ton of them within 10 miles. That said, I never go to GS on Black Friday because their deals are shit. This year I'll go to get a couple years of PS+ cheap.

Walmart fucking sucks. Every year I go to mine they're sold out of everything because I didn't wait in line for 2 hours. It's a super target and crowded as shit but every game and movie I want is gone. I prefer best buy. You can usually go there in the late afternoon on Black Friday itself and be fine and have very little in the way of crowds.
i never even knew gamestop existed , until i got my ps3 three years ago. LOL

the only other console i owned before my ps3 was nintendo Super SNES system . LOL

Niiiice. I got a free $40 gift card from that Gathr thing so it looks like Toys R Us will be a stop of mine

Agreed, super deal for anyone getting in on PS3 right now.

hmmm that ps3 bundle sure looks better than last years uncharted bundle.
How is that better? I got mine last year 500GB drive same price. I sold the games, I don't care for those types of games. This year's deal is okay, but not better than last year.

I might try grabbing a few things from my couch. But nothing in that paper is going to get me away from the Lions game on Thanksgiving day.

The Lego packs and maybe a few blu-ray movies were the highlights for me.

While I'm sure all the arguing about working on Thanksgiving will be cleared out shortly I’m compelled to point out a few things.

To those saying I worked holidays and never complained, congratulations, but I'm sure there are a number of things that you have complained about doing in your field. People have different triggers on what aggravates them and working on Thanksgiving Day is a relatively new thing for people working at retailers. Not everybody’s circumstances are comparable; please take a moment to think from another’s view point and understand that CAG often discusses retail practices along with retail deals and that is why you will find people complaining about the topic here. Retail workers have been nice enough to leak ads, tip us off on certain deals, or try their best to clarify things so showing a little compassion to the people who help make the CAG community better shouldn’t be hard.

While I'm sure all the arguing about working on Thanksgiving will be cleared out shortly I’m compelled to point out a few things.

To those saying I worked holidays and never complained, congratulations, but I'm sure there are a number of things that you have complained about doing in your field. People have different triggers on what aggravates them and working on Thanksgiving Day is a relatively new thing for people working at retailers. Not everybody’s circumstances are comparable; please take a moment to think from another’s view point and understand that CAG often discusses retail practices along with retail deals and that is why you will find people complaining about the topic here. Retail workers have been nice enough to leak ads, tip us off on certain deals, or try their best to clarify things so showing a little compassion to the people who help make the CAG community better shouldn’t be hard.
I go out of my way to be polite to retail workers on holidays/big shopping days, in particular. I know what it's like because I work those days as well. I appreciate what they contribute, but that doesn't mean I have a lot of patience for whining.

You do have a good point that it's a relatively new thing for them, though, so perhaps there's just an adjustment period. Some of our careers have had us not only used to working holidays, but used to odd hours and shopping at any available hour. As such, I'm personally thankful for anytime a store gives me more opportunity to shop, by increasing hours. I'm also grateful for the employees that man the store during those odd hours. I just don't feel sorry for them.

While you raise some good points, the reality is that all of us have been called upon to do more at work often for less or unchanging compensation regardless of our professions in the past five years since the recession started. I think compassion is fine and appropriate. I think calling for boycotts and complaining is totally inappropriate and a waste of time. If you want to help retail workers, there are many things you can mobilize to do that would actually improve their standard of living. Demanding that stores remain closed for Thanksgiving just isn't one of them.

Haha wow, my family would rather go shopping then spend thanksgiving with me...wahhhhh...people have to work during holidays....wahhhh...no one is putting a gun to anyone's head here...people whine way too much about stupid stuff these days...including me whining about people whining on the internet...wahhhhh...

side note, I worked TRU when i was in college, we had to stay till 3-4am every nite for 3 weeks before Xmas...we had to restock for the next day each nite, after work we'd go play hoops in the freezing cold, it was fun times...retail jobs are a dime a dozen, if these people did not want to work then they should not work, if they get fired then find another retail job...if they cant find another retail job then...yea...you got issues...

The Skylanders 8GB Wii U is a great deal but I would rather have the Mario/Luigi 32GB Wii U bundle for $299 with a gift card:D.Anything above a $10 giftcard will do. 

The Luigi 3DS looks sick and I might bite on it..Waiting on some Vita system deals too..It'll be my second Vita.

Thanks, OP. Now we wait. :bouncy:

There are also people that do not mind working the holiday, when I worked retail I always worked thanksgiving, it was either that or BF, and BF was far, far worse. Different strokes for different folks. I am almost never rude to a retail worker, unless they start something with me first, chances are I am going to be overly polite because I know their job sucks. It's terrible for me to say this but I seriously doubt my presence would be missed at my family's thanksgiving dinner, there isn't enough room at the table for me anyways, yes I would miss the food, but when dinner is over i am sent upstairs while they all hoot and holler all night long. It's I like I am not even there. I'd work retail but as I said before being unable to stand for more than 20 min without pain kinda makes it hard for me to find a job..

If you can swing it I recommend adding extra insoles to your shoes, but it doesn't work for all shoes, I get the cheap insoles from Walmart and add them to my shoes. But it's something you need to try with each individual pair, because you won't have room to add them in all shoes, and again, try it before you go on BF because adding extra insoles can also make it worse at times. I am in possession of a $140 pair of saucony sneakers since I have such a hard time finding something that fits I have to go to a speciality shoe store here, but I don't think even those would work during a BF line. Anyways that is kind of where some of my funds went, which is why I am going to be limiting my purchases this year. You really do have to pay more money for better sneakers, if you are going on BF don't just pick the first $50 pair you see and make sure you break them in before you go. We are talking about a situation here that is worse than theme park lines.

What store is worse definitely depends on the area, honestly they are all bad here, I am in NY state so I not only have the family with 6 kids to deal with but I have the hordes of Canadian shoppers who do not have a holiday to celebrate that weekend and who will stand in line all day to save 10 cents, nothing against canadians here of course it's just what happens here. The whole BF situation is just something I can't do. Risking life and limb and potentially costly medical bills & pain and suffering is just not worth it no matter what kind of deal there is. And yes I have seen GS so crowded that you can barely move, even with 2 locations and many other retailers to buy games at nearby. GS also has only one register 2 if you are lucky, so I guess they would be worse than TRU in that respect. Maybe Kmart is the worst, when I worked there they had 2 registers and CS open on BF and that was it, as far as I can see nothing has changed at Kmart, they still have 1-2 registers open on busy Sundays and by far is my most hated retailer since they have the longest lines that never move.

I don't know why retailers don't adopt the queue system, where there is one line, and they funnel people in to the nearest open register. The only retailer I know who uses this here is TJ. Maxx and. Marshall's, those stores have HUGE lines here, however the lines move incredibly fast due to the queue system, I have never seen a line move as fast as their lines. I love shopping at these stores just because I know I will never be trapped in a huge line because of the way the line works.

I go out of my way to be polite to retail workers on holidays/big shopping days, in particular. I know what it's like because I work those days as well. I appreciate what they contribute, but that doesn't mean I have a lot of patience for whining.

You do have a good point that it's a relatively new thing for them, though, so perhaps there's just an adjustment period. Some of our careers have had us not only used to working holidays, but used to odd hours and shopping at any available hour. As such, I'm personally thankful for anytime a store gives me more opportunity to shop, by increasing hours. I'm also grateful for the employees that man the store during those odd hours. I just don't feel sorry for them.

cool story

Thanks, OP, for posting this ad leak.

I'm looking forward to Lego Batman: The Movie for $5.

Otherwise, lame ad. Then again this is Toys R Us, not Games R Us. I'm surprised there was no deal on Vita. The Buy 2 Get 1 Free deal at Target sounds better, and that has nothing to do with me working there.

Speaking of working at Target, I recall they gave employees an extra $1-$2 an hour if you worked on Thanksgiving. To lessen the blow, they would bring in food like Dominos, Chick Fill A, Boston Market, or something from the local Chinese restaurant. Either way, the food was always different (in the morning, it's usually McDonalds breakfast) and it was a nice way to show they valued their employees from that Friday through the weekend.

On Monday, it's " fuck you for thinking we give a damn". Scratch that, it's " On Monday onward until next Black Friday". I imagine it's going to be worse now that Target will be doing in store pickup for online items (I don't think it applies to 2 day ad but it will still suck). Been there for 9 years and I've got to do something better; I consider retail a stepping stone for something better - not something to live on.

Your move, Best Buy. So far Gamestop is "winning". 

There are also people that do not mind working the holiday, when I worked retail I always worked thanksgiving, it was either that or BF, and BF was far, far worse. Different strokes for different folks. I am almost never rude to a retail worker, unless they start something with me first, chances are I am going to be overly polite because I know their job sucks. It's terrible for me to say this but I seriously doubt my presence would be missed at my family's thanksgiving dinner, there isn't enough room at the table for me anyways, yes I would miss the food, but when dinner is over i am sent upstairs while they all hoot and holler all night long. It's I like I am not even there. I'd work retail but as I said before being unable to stand for more than 20 min without pain kinda makes it hard for me to find a job..If you can swing it I recommend adding extra insoles to your shoes, but it doesn't work for all shoes, I get the cheap insoles from Walmart and add them to my shoes. But it's something you need to try with each individual pair, because you won't have room to add them in all shoes, and again, try it before you go on BF because adding extra insoles can also make it worse at times. I am in possession of a $140 pair of saucony sneakers since I have such a hard time finding something that fits I have to go to a speciality shoe store here, but I don't think even those would work during a BF line. Anyways that is kind of where some of my funds went, which is why I am going to be limiting my purchases this year. You really do have to pay more money for better sneakers, if you are going on BF don't just pick the first $50 pair you see and make sure you break them in before you go. We are talking about a situation here that is worse than theme park lines.What store is worse definitely depends on the area, honestly they are all bad here, I am in NY state so I not only have the family with 6 kids to deal with but I have the hordes of Canadian shoppers who do not have a holiday to celebrate that weekend and who will stand in line all day to save 10 cents, nothing against canadians here of course it's just what happens here. The whole BF situation is just something I can't do. Risking life and limb and potentially costly medical bills & pain and suffering is just not worth it no matter what kind of deal there is. And yes I have seen GS so crowded that you can barely move, even with 2 locations and many other retailers to buy games at nearby. GS also has only one register 2 if you are lucky, so I guess they would be worse than TRU in that respect. Maybe Kmart is the worst, when I worked there they had 2 registers and CS open on BF and that was it, as far as I can see nothing has changed at Kmart, they still have 1-2 registers open on busy Sundays and by far is my most hated retailer since they have the longest lines that never move.I don't know why retailers don't adopt the queue system, where there is one line, and they funnel people in to the nearest open register. The only retailer I know who uses this here is TJ. Maxx and. Marshall's, those stores have HUGE lines here, however the lines move incredibly fast due to the queue system, I have never seen a line move as fast as their lines. I love shopping at these stores just because I know I will never be trapped in a huge line because of the way the line works.
Holy smokes, you need to move out if your family really treats you that badly...

Also, why not go to the stores late afternoon or evening on Black Friday itself instead of right when the place opens? The crowds really die down by then.

How is that better? I got mine last year 500GB drive same price. I sold the games, I don't care for those types of games. This year's deal is okay, but not better than last year.
Well yeah the hard drive is bigger but you got two good games with that bundle tru has for this year... I still have not touched my uncharted games and it's been nearly a year lol.

I miss black Friday when it was about getting to the store at the 6 a.m. open. This 5 p.m. Thursday crap kills it.

Worst yet the way TRU does it you don't even get time and a half for the TG hours. Why I think there needs to be a real push towards a strong retail workers union.

Also just wondering is all this cheap made in China crap really worth it? When you really think about it. I know for some it's more about the chase, but I've worked the madness at TRU once in my life (some asshole pissed in the isle as he didn't want to risk losing his spot in line) and with the way that parking lot was and the risk of some fool banging into your car or the chiropractor visit you'll need after standing in line for hours on the concrete. I don't get it from a savings point of view (after all we on these forums usually make out great all year).

Point taken.

Only one thing I really want and it's a doorbuster, hope Amazon matches them because the lines at the Toys R Us by me on Black Friday are the worst and it's not worth running there for one thing.

I know where I'll be getting the rest of my Skylanders from :D
Only thing I'm tempted to go there for but at the same time those sales aren't that much better than what they've run over the last few months. The Swapforce legendary characters are probably all gone already and it's probably going to be crazy town trying to grab what you want (if they even have them which seems to be a rarity at TRU).

And next year they probably won't even bother closing for Thanksgiving. If you don't have a family you want to spend time with, or if you have a job that demands you be away on Thanksgiving, I'm sorry. But that doesn't mean everyone else has to be dragged down. There are some people who have to rely on days off like that to spend some real time with their family due to hectic schedules. But of course the selfish and greedy pricks ruin that because they'll go to any means necessary to save a few bucks.

bread's done
Back