TRU Black Friday Ad leaked! 5pm Thanksgiving!

I miss black Friday when it was about getting to the store at the 6 a.m. open. This 5 p.m. Thursday crap kills it.
THAT'S what I'm talking about. Getting up at 3 AM, going to get a nice coffee or hot chocolate, going shopping and getting a car load of stuff before looking at the clock and seeing you can still get breakfast at McD's.

Hell, I haven't even had a slice of pie by 5.

I hope opening at 5pm fails.  I have no interest in going out shopping that early on Thanksgiving.  Midnight was fine, I'd rather stay up late than get up super early but even 9pm or 10pm was pushing it.  5pm, no thanks, I'll be eating dinner and watching football with my family.  If this is the direction Black Friday shopping is going, I don't plan on doing any shopping in stores, I'm all for saving much but it's not worth it to have to give up more important things.

It's terrible for me to say this but I seriously doubt my presence would be missed at my family's thanksgiving dinner, there isn't enough room at the table for me anyways, yes I would miss the food, but when dinner is over i am sent upstairs while they all hoot and holler all night long. It's I like I am not even there.
Wtf?

I wish they had more insight as to what Xbox One games will be available. If not, I'm tempted to grab Mario 3d world and Arkham origins. Maybe Ghosts instead of origins and then trade that back and get Ghosts for Xbox One for an extra $10.

I doubt my TRU will even do games because there is a Lamestop two stores down from it.

Anyone have thoughts or advice to add?

Also just wondering is all this cheap made in China crap really worth it? When you really think about it. I know for some it's more about the chase, but I've worked the madness at TRU once in my life (some asshole pissed in the isle as he didn't want to risk losing his spot in line) and with the way that parking lot was and the risk of some fool banging into your car or the chiropractor visit you'll need after standing in line for hours on the concrete. I don't get it from a savings point of view (after all we on these forums usually make out great all year).

Lol fuck no, if some dickhead ever did that shit im making him clean it on the spot or im kicking his ass out of the goddamn store fuck that.

Agreed. It really has to suck for these workers not getting to spend time with their families. I picked up my games I wanted at Walmart when they were selling them early last year and morale was just down. I could over hear all over the store they were all down they had to work while they had family at home.

As much as I like deals on BF, I'd rather these people see family.
You do know you're part of the problem right?

Last edited by a moderator:
seriously dont go shopping on thanksgiving day til at least 10pm for several reasons... first spend time with your family, second the people working at these stores are forced to cut short their time with their families due to these corporate greedy assholes.  Thanksgiving and Christmas should be the untouchable holidays where unless your job is saving/protecting lives you should have it off.

As I work Black Friday at I don't mind them opening on Thanksgiving, which I'm off. TRU is too far and wouldn't have stopped even if they had good deals.

I don't want to speculate but aren't workers entitled to time and a half pay if they work on a holiday?  There may be a lot of people interested in that extra money. 

What a pathetic ad... it just makes me sad that Thanksgiving is becoming less and less of a holiday, but more of just "that day before Black Friday." This 5PM opening BS is a perfect example of that.

I don't want to speculate but aren't workers entitled to time and a half pay if they work on a holiday? There may be a lot of people interested in that extra money.
From my experience, yes and they add the extra $1-$2 as a thank you for working that day. I still don't think it's worth it even though we would get paid on Thanksgiving anyway (same applies to Christmas).

No PS4 stuff.... Bummer.
At least you got the B1G1 @ 40% off games. I see this as a better deal for XBox One users anyway.

Seems like every year there's an incident where someone is either serious injured or killed due to greedy shoppers causing a stampede. I really hope these earlier times don't improve that statistic.

I know this thread isn't really about the TRU BF ad, but instead a rant about the sanctity of Thanksgiving and family. I understand that. Heck, I remember when stores used to be closed on Sundays. Remember those days?

I remember in the early 1990s before I had my professional job, I worked at my local General Cinema theater. I had to work on the Holidays and it was fine. I got to spend Christmas Day with my family for dinner. Got to open presents, and then when things were winding down, I went to work. There's a lot of families who go to the theater then and I didn't feel like I was missing out on anything. I also worked New Years Eve too. Yes, sometimes it sucked, but in the end it was a job and a paycheck was worth it.

Plus, there's actually people who aren't Christians/Santaclausians(?)/etc who don't celebrate some holidays.

If you want to go stand in line at 5pm at TRU - go ahead and do it. If you want to hang out with the family and eat pumpkin pie and watch football? Go ahead and do that. Don't let anyone else dictate what you can and can't do on a holiday or poo-poo you because you did it.

The problem with opening at 5 pm isn't that retail employees have to work on Thanksgiving. It's not unusual for retailers to pay their employees extra to agree to come in on holidays. And even in these hard economic times shifts like this are usually compulsory. Employees agree to these hours. I imagine most people wouldn't want to work those hours, but some do. And the extra money they can earn on those days can help to pay for their own Christmas shopping.

What I object to with this 5 pm Thanksgiving opening is that it lures shoppers away from their families. There will always be far more consumers than retail employees. And placing a sale like this at 5 pm on Thursday means that a lot of those consumers will line up at Toys R Us at 12 pm on Thursday. That's not right. That cuts into "family-time," which for most people is the reason for a holiday like Thanksgiving.

The only thing we can really do about it as consumers is to simply not show up for these openings. I won't. What is on offer isn't nearly enough to pull me away from my family on Thanksgiving. I will be enjoying home-cooked food with my parents and siblings. The doorbusters can go to someone else, and they are welcome to them.

The problem with opening at 5 pm isn't that retail employees have to work on Thanksgiving. It's not unusual for retailers to pay their employees extra to agree to come in on holidays. And even in these hard economic times shifts like this are usually compulsory. Employees agree to these hours. I imagine most people wouldn't want to work those hours, but some do. And the extra money they can earn on those days can help to pay for their own Christmas shopping.

What I object to with this 5 pm Thanksgiving opening is that it lures shoppers away from their families. There will always be far more consumers than retail employees. And placing a sale like this at 5 pm on Thursday means that a lot of those consumers will line up at Toys R Us at 12 pm on Thursday. That's not right. That cuts into "family-time," which for most people is the reason for a holiday like Thanksgiving.

The only thing we can really do about it as consumers is to simply not show up for these openings. I won't. What is on offer isn't nearly enough to pull me away from my family on Thanksgiving. I will be enjoying home-cooked food with my parents and siblings. The doorbusters can go to someone else, and they are welcome to them.
If you choose to shop instead of being with family, that's your own damn fault.

I don't feel one bit bad for the consumers. I do feel bad for the workers.

A lot of retail stores also hire specifically for just the holiday period.  You should absoutely know what you're signing up for there if you accept that job.  Yes, that includes the holidays themselves now. 

Who's to say families don't enjoy going out and shopping together instead of staying at home and watching a football game? Man, some self-righteous people in this thread.

I agree. If the sales lure people away from being with their families, that's on them who choose to shop instead of spend family time. Again, no one is forcing anybody to work on this day or to shop on this day, everyone chooses to do what they want to do.

If you're upset that family members are being lured, don't be mad at the stores say something to the family member that chooses to go shopping instead of spending time with you.

The consumer demand is what drives this negative trend in the first place. If you're looking for a solution, as opposed to simply puzzling over who deserves the most sympathy, that's where you have to begin. So long as consumers are willing to line-up en masse for these store openings, companies will have incentive to open earlier and earlier. For this trend to stop, the consumers have to stop coming in.

If the store opens, and no one shows up, the employees get to kick back and spend a few hours of paid time taking it easy. There's nothing wrong with that. It's the addition of hundreds of consumers squabbling over limited inventory that makes the experience miserable for all involved.

The consumer demand is what drives this negative trend in the first place. If you're looking for a solution, as opposed to simply puzzling over who deserves the most sympathy, that's where you have to begin. So long as consumers are willing to line-up en masse for these store openings, companies will have incentive to open earlier and earlier. For this trend to stop, the consumers have to stop coming in.

If the store opens, and no one shows up, the employees get to kick back and spend a few hours of paid time taking it easy. There's nothing wrong with that. It's the addition of hundreds of consumers squabbling over limited inventory that makes the experience miserable for all involved.
I assumed that the opening earlier and earlier into Thanksgiving afternoon was actually in response to fewer people coming out for Black Friday, not more. I thought it was an attempt to get more people in the door by starting at a more accessible time (after the Thanksgiving meal). A lot of people go out for christmas lighting ceremonies and what not, so why not try to pull them in to shop?

I think the sad part is that we, as a society have become such consumer-driven zombies that buying more stuff takes priority over having a special day with family. Most of Black Friday shopping isn't even about getting gifts but rather what cool stuff we can get for ourselves. It's sad that acquiring stuff is becoming our sole driving purpose.

Wow. This has got to be one of the worst ads I have ever seen from them on Black Friday. Oh well, one less place to go to.

Meh, I've done all my BF shopping online from Best Buy, Amazon, Gamestop, and the MS store for the past 2 years. Practically the same deals and some that are even better (last year's Microsoft Store sales were insane).

and to think we are complaining about TRU... Lots of boycott talk now for Kmart - they are staying open for 41 hours straight through thanksgiving and black friday!!

yes they have, notice my straight comment.... :dunce:

http://money.cnn.com/2013/11/05/pf/kmart-black-friday-customer-outrage/index.html

They at least gave employees a few hours to go eat in the past.... not anymore!
Sorry, but that's just irrelevant. Not every family eats Thanksgiving after 4 pm and nowhere has Kmart said that employees have to work straight through. If you work the early shift, you'll still be home in time for dinner and if you work later, you can just plan your family meal accordingly. I really wish everyone crying about these policies would focus that energy into fighting for better wages and benefits for retail employees rather than making some weird quasi-religious argument about the sanctity of the Thanksgiving holiday.

Sorry, but that's just irrelevant. Not every family eats Thanksgiving after 4 pm and nowhere has Kmart said that employees have to work straight through. If you work the early shift, you'll still be home in time for dinner and if you work later, you can just plan your family meal accordingly. I really wish everyone crying about these policies would focus that energy into fighting for better wages and benefits for retail employees rather than making some weird quasi-religious argument about the sanctity of the Thanksgiving holiday.
And not everyone lives in the same vicinity of the family they visit on Thanksgiving day. One poster already pointed out that they lived five hours away and that if forced to work on that day he would have to miss Thanksgiving with his family.

People are upset because one of the small comforts they enjoyed in an unenjoyable job has been taken away. Retailers would probably be smart to let them have one day because eventually they will run out of small comforts and start to demand more but without the leverage of a union it's unlikely to make a difference. You might remember last year there were a number of Wal-Mart "strikes" around this time made up of off clock employees and the big fear for them being those employees choosing to walk out on Black Friday. I believe they stopped striking awhile ago (could be wrong) with nothing really accomplished because both parties knew that the laborers had no real pull. People want to demand more but with many areas main employers being retailers combined with a bad job market they can't. People on this forum are just blowing off steam with the boycott business, they dont need to be berated for picking a smaller and possibly winnable fight to complain about.

And not everyone lives in the same vicinity of the family they visit on Thanksgiving day. One poster already pointed out that they lived five hours away and that if forced to work on that day he would have to miss Thanksgiving with his family.

People are upset because one of the small comforts they enjoyed in an unenjoyable job has been taken away. Retailers would probably be smart to let them have one day because eventually they will run out of small comforts and start to demand more but without the leverage of a union it's unlikely to make a difference. You might remember last year there were a number of Wal-Mart "strikes" around this time made up of off clock employees and the big fear for them being those employees choosing to walk out on Black Friday. I believe they stopped striking awhile ago (could be wrong) with nothing really accomplished because both parties knew that the laborers had no real pull. People want to demand more but with many areas main employers being retailers combined with a bad job market they can't. People on this forum are just blowing off steam with the boycott business, they dont need to be berated for picking a smaller and possibly winnable fight to complain about.
Yes and many people have to travel across country to enjoy Thanksgiving with their family. Even if retail stores remained closed on Thanksgiving, that wouldn't help those people at all unless they do some kind of crazy 24 hour turnaround. I worked at a theme park for many years and I worked every holiday. I also worked in restaurants and again we worked every holiday. Sometimes it's inconvenient and sometimes you miss family events, but you make certain sacrifices and hopefully you make some good decisions about getting an education or training to do something more skilled and you get into a job that allows for more scheduling flexibility. Like I said, all of this anger should be directed at providing better educational and training opportunities so workers can get into better jobs and fighting for better wages and benefits for workers. Complaining that workers have to miss Thanksgiving is frankly a minor and meaningless debate

Is best buy open on thanksgiving? Might need to price match for swap force starter pack (though I can't imagine the ps4 version having nearly the same demand)

Also, b1g1 70% off for swap force figures is worse than the target $5 off $25 coupon at Target, if Target manages to get in some more triple packs and battle packs next week (wave 2 triple packs still aren't out, and wave 3 figures are rumored to be here the week of the 15th)

Best buy does not do Black Friday price matching.
Technically, the $38 for swap force deal only occurs on thursday though. I can understand not PMing the $50 deal the following day from gamestop or tru, but how would a deal that happened to occur for a 4 hour time span a day prior not be dealt with the same policy as one that had started earlier that week/month and ran until black friday.

Technically, the $38 for swap force deal only occurs on thursday though.
Well then to be technical Best Buy does not match Black Friday weekend ads. This would include Thanksgiving thru Cyber Monday. If you have been in a Best Buy on Black Friday you'll have noticed Customer Service isn't even open the first few hours, and your told if you want to do a return you can stand in the mile long checkout line.

As for Best Buy hours, even store management doesn't know yet.....we are hoping to find out this week.

bread's done
Back