White Knight Chronicles - Level 5's Groundhog Day Present - February 2, 2010 in NA

I'm in.

Though, everyone, please don't be surprised if the online is broken for the first couple days. It seems to happen a lot with these types of games.

I'm leaning towards picking this up when it comes out. I love Level 5. The Dark Cloud games as well as Rogue Galaxy are some of my favorites. Online seems like it could add a lot of fun and value. My interest grew after watching the video on the PS Blog and they showed creating towns. Forgot the name of it, but I loved that feature in their previous games.

Would there be a group of dedicated CAGs playing? No one I know would be buying the game and I would be missing out if I just bought it to play it alone.

My friend ordered one for me, so looking forward to the 4-player coop. I just have to finish two more games before my backlog is officially done.

[quote name='dallow']The guide is relatively cheap on Amazon (a lot of the Brady guides are for some reason).[/QUOTE]
Well, from what I understand difficulty doesn't scale with additional players, so every page would read 'find three players, pewpewpew'.

Yeah, I figure the singleplayer and combat is fairly easy.
I just want it for item locations, lists of materials, what quests to get them from, etc.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/187733/hands_on_with_white_knight_chronicles_for_playstation_3.html/

White Knight Chronicles, Level 5's PlayStation 3 exclusive tale about a kid who can transform into a Paul Bunyan-sized knight, offers something unexpected: An opportunity to examine how a massively multiplayer online game might work without the other players.

In the time I've spent with my review copy, roughly an afternoon and an evening, I'm finding it reminiscent of Square Enix's Final Fantasy XI, and note that's playing it offline (its online mode won't be available until the game ships next Tuesday). To rephrase, you could call both games MMO-like and get away with it, amending that White Knight hews massively single-player. And while the latter looks years better--FFXI was wrought in the last decade's humbler furnaces--a basic visual pedigree links the two: Both share clean-lined visuals that favor massive, somewhat generic architecture washed in mellow colors and lacking drill-down detail when pulling up close to object textures.

From gaf, via PSBlog

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2010...chronicles-goodness-character-creation-video/

Dynamic theme coming February 4th:

Home stuff:

Quote:
As many of you saw in our one-on-one with Tsubasa Inaba, White Knight Chronicles International Edition will be supporting Trophy and Home integration. As you play, through White Knight Chronicles, you’ll unlock a certain trophy that will grant you some pretty sweet stuff in Home. This particular trophy will grant you a White Knight costume, Which one is it? Pick up the Brady Guide to find out. Also, just for having your Save Data on your system, you’ll be able to unlock a Home figurine!

LittleBigPlanet costumes:

There's also a new video on character creation at the link.

Wow, several Dynamic themes just for White Knight. Considering how many dynamic themes are in the US PS Store period, I'm surprised.

I'm still on the fence with this game, but I like how the game is supposedly lower on the challenge scale with no grinding.

[quote name='mykevermin']Dynamic theme looks neat, but I've never seen a free dynamic theme in the US Store.

I ain't payin' fer no digital window dressin'.[/QUOTE]

Yeah I downloaded the 2 free dynamic themes off the UK store and they're really shitty. It would be cool if the US got at least one free one.

I want to get this game. I don't know if I want to pay full price.

I am, however, afraid that if I wait too long that the online community will dry up and those that are left will be extremely far ahead of me.

Damn it guys, stop getting me excited about this game!

I'm tempted to get it now. Hey, if I do, perhaps this will be the first game that I attempt playing with other CAGs.

Looks like there's many of you who are on the fence on getting this game, count me in as one of those people. I like it, and it does seems interesting, but there's just so much games coming out in such a short time. I will be looking forward to the reviews.

I'm on the fence with this too. Sony took too long getting this game out here and when they finally do they release it at a really bad time when there are other games I'm interested in buying.

[quote name='mykevermin']I wonder if I'm the only person who keeps reading analogues to FFXI and becomes more excited about this game as a result.[/QUOTE]

Aside from its grind FF XI is an excellent game. I too love the engine's style and welcomed the similar gameplay in FF XII. I was disappointed that XII inherited XI's grinding nature though.

Sounds like they are pulling a lot of ideas from other games like Diablo, Demon's Souls, and even Animal Crossing.

Still not quite sold though, I'll wait for a decent deal first.

That was a pretty cool trailer. Announcer's voice was annoying though.

Probably going to be a no go for me though. But that could change.

I'm buying this one Day One, though of the 10 games coming out between January 26 and March 30 that I'm buying/bought this is number 10 on my anticipation list. After a long line of M-rated games, I want something a little different and this game looks to be it.

[quote name='Poor2More']oh one more thing, is this Free online play? no monthly charges I hope[/QUOTE]

Of course its free.

I'm pretty much sold on this game now. I like that it's not as grind-heavy and the multiplayer seems interesting, if a bit limited in scope.

It's also good to point out that in Japan, Level-5 are still making new quests for the game, and the DLC is all free. I'm sure we'll get that as well.

I will go ahead and apologize for this semi weird question ahead of time.

What do you think the odds of this being able to be played online on a dial-up connection are? The reason why I ask is because I can play Demon's Souls online and PvP or assist other players on dial-up with very little lag. So that got me to thinking that maybe I will be able to get online with White Knight Chronicles as well since the group sizes are small.

Of course I'm probably one of only 5 people in the US that still have to use dial-up and trust me I'm not using it by choice but simply having to use it due to no other options being available. If nothing else it would be an interesting experiment to see if I can play this online.

[quote name='LordVila']I will go ahead and apologize for this semi weird question ahead of time.

What do you think the odds of this being able to be played online on a dial-up connection are? The reason why I ask is because I can play Demon's Souls online and PvP or assist other players on dial-up with very little lag. So that got me to thinking that maybe I will be able to get online with White Knight Chronicles as well since the group sizes are small.

Of course I'm probably one of only 5 people in the US that still have to use dial-up and trust me I'm not using it by choice but simply having to use it due to no other options being available. If nothing else it would be an interesting experiment to see if I can play this online.[/QUOTE]

Wow I never even knew that the PS3 has a phone jack....

man im really tempted to get this tomorrow, but im afraid its just going to fall in my back log, as most RPGs do these days. itd probably help if there was a really good sale, but i havent seen any good prices for it this week.

[quote name='Poor2More']Wow I never even knew that the PS3 has a phone jack....[/QUOTE]

The PS3 doesn't have a phone jack but I can setup the PS3 on a network with my PC and share my internet connection that way. That method also works with the 360.

[quote name='Ragnorok64']Why are there no deals on this game?![/quote]Best deal is Buy.com for $52.99 and free shipping.
+ Bing cashback on top of that.

So wait.. what's amazing in this game again?

The quote on the first page said it was the animation, like swords hitting shields, but that doesn't look special to me

[quote name='LordVila']I will go ahead and apologize for this semi weird question ahead of time.

Of course I'm probably one of only 5 people in the US that still have to use dial-up and trust me I'm not using it by choice but simply having to use it due to no other options being available. If nothing else it would be an interesting experiment to see if I can play this online.[/QUOTE]

If you can do that in Demon Souls, I don't think you should have a problem, I may be wrong, but it's not like a mmo, though I played FFXI on dialup with little to no lag also. Ummm what I"m saying is since it will just be your own party of people I don't think there would be much lag, it isn't like you're going to go to a big town with hundred of people in it. Unless there is like a hub world people play out of, not sure if there is or isn't.

How is the online setup? Is it a hub/city where everybody is based out of, or do you just play with your friends and random people can join?

Got this all paid off today but it'll have to wait till I finish up ME2 and it'll have to split time with MAG. Way too many time sink games coming out in such a short amount of time...

[quote name='Thongsy']If you can do that in Demon Souls, I don't think you should have a problem, I may be wrong, but it's not like a mmo, though I played FFXI on dialup with little to no lag also. Ummm what I"m saying is since it will just be your own party of people I don't think there would be much lag, it isn't like you're going to go to a big town with hundred of people in it. Unless there is like a hub world people play out of, not sure if there is or isn't.

How is the online setup? Is it a hub/city where everybody is based out of, or do you just play with your friends and random people can join?[/QUOTE]

I played FFXI, WoW and UO on dial-up and the only one of those games I had slight problems with was UO and that was just due to how the game loaded. I am hopeful though that this will work on dial-up. Of course when I do test it out I will make sure to test it with people that know before hand that it may or may not work properly.

bread's done
Back