Wifi, 3G/Wi-Fi PS Vita $159.99 w/ FS @ Radio Shack

Can anyone recommend me games for the vita? I'm interested in it, but can't seem to find enough to make me actually pull the trigger on it. I'm not interested in shooters at all and the type of games i generally like are the ones that are more anime style or cartoony. The only games I've found that seem interesting at all for the vita are persona 4, katamari, and muramasa.
Darkstalkers PSP - was/might still be free with PS+

Rayman Origins - was/might still be free with PS+

Dragons Crown - on sale at Gamestop this week

Soul Sacrifice - never played it but has very positive reviews

Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus - was/might still be free with PS+

Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus 2

Gravity Rush - free with PS+

Mega Man Mavrick Hunter PSP - was free with PS+

Hotline Miami - free with PS+

Another thing to remember is downloadable PSP and PS1 games are playable on the Vita.

Last edited by a moderator:
Soooo you don't like RPG's, and you don't like Nintendo titles? 3DS has had a stellar year in terms of software, and it's not even over yet. Fire Emblem, Pokemon, Ace Attorney, Luigi's mansion, with A Link Between Worlds next week... and that's not even a near complete list.
Vita's good with PS+ but most of the games on it I wouldn't be buying otherwise. Persona 4 Golden and Little Big Planet are the only 2 Vita exclusives I've outright purchased and still own, and as worthy as it is, P4G is still a remake of a PS2 game. And LBP's story mode is by far the worst one in the series, gameplay wise.
If you want to talk tech, Vita is superior, but exclusive software wise 3DS holds the crown. That's my opinion on the matter.
That's not to say a Vita isn't worth it, just saying if we're going to be doing comparisons here, let's be fair. :p
The only 3ds game that looks good there is a link between worlds. Luckily my kids are getting 3ds's for Xmas so I can play it on there's. That's definitely not enough to justify a purchase by itself.

I have both as well and the PS Vita is insanely better than the 3ds. Games look better, play better and it has added bonuses of Cross buy / cross save. I keep my 3ds because of Ocarina of Time and my 3ds is an ambassador. Overall I am very disappointed with the 3ds library.
The 3DS games look great and they don't need a buttload of pixels to do so. Cross buy and cross save don't really improve it.. MH3U has the ability to save between 3DS and Wii U and I don't care for that. You get a free version just to keep the Vita afloat and you think it's better than a console just on that? Well, Sony's marketing sure worked on you.

People can eliminate the library with all their pickiness. "I don't like action. I don't like adventure. I don't like puzzles. I don't like RPG. I don't like visual novels." There goes your library.

Can you shut the hell up? Algertman is right by calling you a marketer when you say you have three Vitas and that the memory cards aren't expensive - even the most stalwart Vita fans recognize that it is. I have one myself and enjoy it but I admit the cost of ownership is high. I definitely wouldn't have gotten one if it wasn't for all the nice free games on Plus.
This. PS+ and cross buy are the things that are really keeping the console alive. It costs way too much just to maintain it even with the free games because of the memory costs.

Nah, the 3DS is far, far worse than the Vita. On every level the hardware is much worse, the 3D gimmick is a joke (most people just turn it off), they bungled the design by leaving out the 2nd analog stick, and everything about it is cheap. Algerttroll is just sh*tting up this thread with his fanboy junk, no one wants to hear that stuff. He's the one that needs to "chill out", not me.
Leaving out the 2nd analog stick? When did they ever say they would include one?

Nvidia Shield has much better hardware than the Vita. The Vita's hardware is much worse now. Yay.

3D isn't a joke since most people seem to enjoy it and by enjoy it I mean that they don't just turn it off.

Again, he was addressing the issue of the PSP gameplay on the Vita. It is cheaper to get the PSP to only play PSP games.

Why do you think the 3DS is better?
It's more affordable, the design is nice, it is very portable, it has a great library of games, it has a nice resolution, it does not use a proprietary memory system, you can bring in your DS games and just play them on the console, and it runs very smoothly without a high end CPU. In other words, it is much more efficient at handheld gaming.

Darkstalkers PSP - was/might still be free with PS+
Rayman Origins - was/might still be free with PS+
Dragons Crown - on sale at Gamestop this week
Soul Sacrifice - never played it but has very positive reviews
Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus - was/might still be free with PS+
Ninja Gaiden Sigma Plus 2
Gravity Rush - was/might still be free with PS+
Mega Man Mavrick Hunter PSP - was free with PS+
Hotline Miami - free with PS+

Problem with some of these are that I've already played the PSP ones on the PSP and don't really want to buy them again. I don't plan on getting ps+ and I've already played the Ninja Gaiden games on the PS3 and don't really care for the extra stuff.

Soooo you don't like RPG's, and you don't like Nintendo titles? 3DS has had a stellar year in terms of software, and it's not even over yet. Fire Emblem, Pokemon, Ace Attorney, Luigi's mansion, with A Link Between Worlds next week... and that's not even a near complete list.
I love Rpgs but I am not a fan of Pokemon or Fire Emblem, never played an Ace Attorney and I don't like most mario/ luigi games. The Vita has Rpgs, Dragon Book Fantasy I and II, Ragnorak, Soul Sacrifice, Silent Hill (Action RPG) Dragon's Crown and the PS1/psp digital downloads. But even without Rpgs, I have gotten way more use out of my Vita than my 3ds. The Vita has great downloadable games that seemed to be constantly ignored. Also I just want to say that I will be the first to agree that the mem cards are stupidly overpriced and Sony should have just allowed mini, micro, regular, super duper, whatever SD cards.

Problem with some of these are that I've already played the PSP ones on the PSP and don't really want to buy them again. I don't plan on getting ps+ and I've already played the Ninja Gaiden games on the PS3 and don't really care for the extra stuff.
I don't know what to say then other than look through what's currently available pre-owned at Gamestop and on PSN to see if something catches your eye.

For me it was a no brainer but I do most of my gaming on PS3 and I've had PS+ for a few years now so I have lots of free games to play through (haven't actually purchased a game yet but only had my Vita a few days).

Can anyone recommend me games for the vita? I'm interested in it, but can't seem to find enough to make me actually pull the trigger on it. I'm not interested in shooters at all and the type of games i generally like are the ones that are more anime style or cartoony. The only games I've found that seem interesting at all for the vita are persona 4, katamari, and muramasa.
If you have any interest in monster hunter type games, ragnarok odyssey gave me upwards of 50 hours of entertainment, and soul sacrifice is very good too in the same category.

As far as anime-style games go, virtue's last reward is a fun story-focused puzzle game. Katamari is fun but very short on the vita, if you buy it make sure you get a good discount on it. I got my copy from a psn sale for $6 and easily got my money's worth from it.

Dragon's crown is probably my second favorite vita title next to P4G, I'd consider it a must-have if you don't already have it for ps3.

I could go on for awhile, but if you even have the slightest interest in a vita, pick it up at this price and a 1 year psn card from gamestop on black friday, you won't have any shortage of good games to play on it.

Also I just want to say that I will be the first to agree that the mem cards are stupidly overpriced and Sony should have just allowed mini, micro, regular, super duper, whatever SD cards.
I agree with this as well but there are some decent deals (in comparison to full retail) to be had if you are patient or if you buy pre-owned with a good coupon from Gamestop. Also if you have available space on your PS3 hard drive games are easily transferred back and forth so using a small card is feasible but very inconvenient. If anyone plans to make due with a small card be warned that some downloadable games require more than their file size to install. I think Killzone Mercenary requires no smaller than an 8GB card.

In the long run though a larger card is necessary.

I think you're literally the first person I've ever seen make that claim. Not trying to fan the flames, just surprised.

I've been trying to talk myself in to a new 3ds XL for a while (had an original and didn't care for the smaller screen after being spoiled by a DSi XL for so long). So I went through the game catalog for the 3ds and was shocked to only find 8 games I was interested in (I think all first party). I'll probably still get one on the cheap since I do really like Nintendo games, but I've gotten an absolute boatload of entertainment out of my vita and still have plenty of stuff to play on it so I'm not in any rush.

At $160 it's a steal even if you have to eat the godforsaken memory card prices in the process - you could throw in a retail 16gb card and it'd be the same price as a 3ds XL.
3DS is superior in software (even if you count ports of games I can already play on hardware I already own), sales, and actually making money. It's also not an abandoned piece of hardware that the Vita has basically turned into. There's also hidden fees such memory cards and the PS+ games are not free unless you think movies you watch over Netflix are free as well. People bring up the OLED screen but that model is going to start being phased out.

This is not a good deal for the money at this time.

3DS is superior in software (even if you count ports of games I can already play on hardware I already own), sales, and actually making money. It's also not an abandoned piece of hardware that the Vita has basically turned into. There's also hidden fees such memory cards and the PS+ games are not free unless you think movies you watch over Netflix are free as well. People bring up the OLED screen but that model is going to start being phased out.

This is not a good deal for the money at this time.
The Vita is hardly abandoned. With the PS4 release upon us it opens the door to more uses for the Vita and hopefully more games, provided of course remote works the way Sony intends.

Also PS+ will be required (for online play) with the upcoming, current gen PS4 console so for most gamers paying for PS+ won't be an issue. I guess since we are paying for the service though we should consider the games "rentals".

I love Rpgs but I am not a fan of Pokemon or Fire Emblem, never played an Ace Attorney and I don't like most mario/ luigi games. The Vita has Rpgs, Dragon Book Fantasy I and II, Ragnorak, Soul Sacrifice, Silent Hill (Action RPG) Dragon's Crown and the PS1/psp digital downloads. But even without Rpgs, I have gotten way more use out of my Vita than my 3ds. The Vita has great downloadable games that seemed to be constantly ignored. Also I just want to say that I will be the first to agree that the mem cards are stupidly overpriced and Sony should have just allowed mini, micro, regular, super duper, whatever SD cards.
Looking at your sig you definitely seem like a Sony fan. Nothin' wrong with that, but it's worth noting. Also your whole list has nothing Vita exclusive, those games are on PS3. If you don't like Nintendo games and JRPG's, then yeah 3DS might not be for you... and you pretty much have to not like Nintendo games and JRPG's, not to like anything substantially in this year's lineup. If you're looking for PS3 games on a handheld, then I guess Vita is a little more worth it? :V

Again, it's fine to like what you like, but I don't think you'll be able to convince must people that game a little more universally that Vita has more good exclusive software right now.

I like the vita, way more than playing on a 3DS. Main points of arguments against the vita though are:

• The 3DS does have the vita beat in portability, regular that is
  • The vita does lack the buy this console because of this game to it. A lot of the software on the vita are ports, but they're well done. That's what I love about it, and will keep loving it cause of that. I enjoy the games on the console that I want it portable, but it'll eventually need that system killer. Much like a true protable GTA, CoD, and sports titles
  • The memory card fiasco. Right now it is proprietary and really hurting itself. If the vita moved the memory format to micro sd instead of the proprietary version it has now, it'd sell a lot better. Sony is making steps toward universally used items, such as the move to micro usb on PSV 2000 
  • Vita has remote play going for it, for those who are interested. I know I am
  • Vita does have better hardware for those who care about graphics and what the system can handle
I think once the vita can get the memory card prices further down and get those true console exclusives, it'll compete with the 3DS. But at the moment that's what it lacks. Again, I love the vita and prefer it much more than the 3DS because of the games I get. I'm more into the action, FPS, RPG, racing, sports, and fighting game. I don't feel the 3DS offers what I want, and that's why I like the vita more.

Looking at your sig you definitely seem like a Sony fan. Nothin' wrong with that, but it's worth noting. Also your whole list has nothing Vita exclusive, those games are on PS3. If you don't like Nintendo games and JRPG's, then yeah 3DS might not be for you... and you pretty much have to not like Nintendo games and JRPG's, not to like anything substantially in this year's lineup. If you're looking for PS3 games on a handheld, then I guess Vita is a little more worth it? :V

Again, it's fine to like what you like, but I don't think you'll be able to convince must people that game a little more universally that Vita has more good exclusive software right now.
In recent years that is true because Nintendo has done nothing but let me down. I had a gamecube before ps2 or xbox, I waited in line for 13 hours for the Wii and I bought a launch Ds, Ds Lite and then eventually a 3ds. I still think the best handheld ever is the GBA SP but recently Nintendo has done very little to get me to want their consoles. I love Jrpgs, they are without a doubt my favorite genre, but pokemon is not my style. Some of my favorite Rpgs this gen has been Star Ocean International Edition, Tales of Vesperia, and Eternal Sonata (played both when they were xbox exclusive) It's just when I think about investing into games for the 3ds, I think twice.

In recent years that is true because Nintendo has done nothing but let me down. I had a gamecube before ps2 or xbox, I waited in line for 13 hours for the Wii and I bought a launch Ds, Ds Lite and then eventually a 3ds. I still think the best handheld ever is the GBA SP but recently Nintendo has done very little to get me to want their consoles. I love Jrpgs, they are without a doubt my favorite genre, but pokemon is not my style. Some of my favorite Rpgs this gen has been Star Ocean International Edition, Tales of Vesperia, and Eternal Sonata (played both when they were xbox exclusive) It's just when I think about investing into games for the 3ds, I think twice.
Give the Etrian Odyssey and SMT series a go. I've had 4 for both series, and think they're fantastic.

Dusted off an old Radio Shack $20 gift card and grabbed one of these today. Figure I'll use it for PS4 connectivity and any PS Plus games that come around. 

Give the Etrian Odyssey and SMT series a go. I've had 4 for both series, and think they're fantastic.
I played the first Etrian Odyssey and Devil Survivor Overclocked they were both pretty good but I didn't want to continue on after them. Oh and on a side note, this is the most cordial conversation I think I have ever had on the internet and I just want to say thanks.

I played the first Etrian Odyssey and Devil Survivor Overclocked they were both pretty good but I didn't want to continue on after them. Oh and on a side note, this is the most cordial conversation I think I have ever had on the internet and I just want to say thanks.
Ha, no problem. If you can't discuss something with civility don't discuss it at all, I say. :p

I will be getting my Vita back from my brother next month, and am really looking forward to getting back into P4G and Gravity Rush, and trying Soul Sacrifice. I'm also hoping the next God Eater gets brought stateside so I can give that franchise a try too.(Though the trailer for it looked terribly dull, to me.) I will say that Vita has the advantage of digital versions of older games, from PS1 and PSP. Dissidia in particular shouldn't be missed!

It seems pretty clear to me that:

3ds

+ decent sized selection of good 3ds games

+ huge selection of good ds games

- 3d gimmick

vita

+ tech. specs stronger than 3ds

+ remote play (assuming it works, I'm very excited about it)

+ decent selection of psp games available

+ ps plus is a good deal if you have both vita and ps3

- tiny library of exclusives

- proprietary memory card format is crazy expensive

I think it all comes down to what you value. I prefer the 3ds for now because it has the better selection of games. That can change, and Sony showed during the PSP era that they could deliver some great games if given time.

My hope is that both do great and we get lots of interesting games for both. And that people on this board who obviously have a lot in common would stop making it personal and have fun discussing this stuff.

Out of stock! :(
Was going to get the Wi-Fi version since that was the only version left.  I guess I'll just get the Walking Dead Vita bundle when I have the money right away.

So there aren't going to be any sales on the Vita for Black Friday since most of the ads have been posted now?  Was hoping Amazon would do something similar to their Assassins Creed vita bundle last year...

On the fence here....

-  Could use a new handheld for upcoming 11+ hour flights (each way)

-  Mostly interested in some ports (Dragon's Crown, Disgaea 3, Marvel vs Capcom, etc)

-  Barely played PSP

-  I own many of the game I am interested in on the PS3 already

The 3G version is back in stock as of 7:30am central time! The sku says it's the launch edition that comes with an 8gb card, which I hope is true. If not, it still feels better to have the 3G version if it's going to be the same price as the Wifi. I will just return the Wifi edition I ordered yesterday. So excited!

I have owned my 3DS for about 2 years now, and hardly play it. The only game I -really- played was Fire Emblem. I have a huge load of free games for the Vita thanks to Playstation+, and now that Project Diva F is coming out in the West for the Vita next year, I gotta support my Miku. :) This is an early birthday present to myself, lol.

The 3G version is back in stock as of 7:30am central time! The sku says it's the launch edition that comes with an 8gb card, which I hope is true. If not, it still feels better to have the 3G version if it's going to be the same price as the Wifi. I will just return the Wifi edition I ordered yesterday. So excited!

I have owned my 3DS for about 2 years now, and hardly play it. The only game I -really- played was Fire Emblem. I have a huge load of free games for the Vita thanks to Playstation+, and now that Project Diva F is coming out in the West for the Vita next year, I gotta support my Miku. :) This is an early birthday present to myself, lol.
Dangit my wifi only version just shipped out last night! Any chance I'd be able to get them to switch it for me? I'll try a chat with C.S right now.

Thankfully Radioshack makes it easy to return online purchases to their retail stores. Just bring in everything including the packing slip, and they will refund you.

Hopefully it stays in stock till then since I used all my money on bills already. I sent them an email as well so hopefully it pans out.

I finally bought a Vita, after missing the AC black friday bundle last year.  I love the look of the slim, but want the OLED screen.

If it wasn't for PS+ benefits I'd consider waiting longer, except again, the OLED would be gone.  Nice deal.

I jumped the gun yesterday and bought the Wifi version. Never expected the 3G version to go back in stock. Buuuuut I think I have a plan for me and anyone else in the same boat. I'm going to take the Wifi Vita and return it to Best Buy as a Gift Return and use the store credit (which will be the full $200 price) to either get the 3G or one of the other bundles, since they all seem to be the same price now. That might be easier than returning it to Radio Shack and hoping the 3Gs will still be in stock.

Not sure I see any benefit to the 3G (other than the 8 GB bundled memory card) and I'm a bit concerned it will have shorter battery life. Can you turn the 3G radio completely off?

Not sure I see any benefit to the 3G (other than the 8 GB bundled memory card) and I'm a bit concerned it will have shorter battery life. Can you turn the 3G radio completely off?
From what I understand, the 3G is largely useless. It has a default data cap of 20MB a month, which can only be used for... well, nothing anymore. There's nothing that small on PSN anymore, even firmware updates. I suppose you can update individual games with it. Also, there's no multiplayer via 3G unless you buy a data plan through Sony, which also increases the download cap.

Really, it's all about the memory card.

From what I understand, the 3G is largely useless. It has a default data cap of 20MB a month, which can only be used for... well, nothing anymore. There's nothing that small on PSN anymore, even firmware updates. I suppose you can update individual games with it. Also, there's no multiplayer via 3G unless you buy a data plan through Sony, which also increases the download cap.

Really, it's all about the memory card.
^^ This. I have two 3G Vitas (one a launch unit, one I got used recently and didn't realize was 3G till I got it home) and I just turned off the 3G as soon as I got them up and running (3G is turned off in Settings). I'd advise people not to cancel rheir WiFi orders just to try to get 3G ones; its just not worth the hassle. You'd need a plan with AT&T to support the 3G, not worth it.

So I finally decided to bite on this before all the SDers killed this deal since the 3G/wifi version came back in stock and I get it with shoprunner.  This coupled with the fact that there so far seems to be non-existent vita deals for BF, decided to jump on this while I can for the OLED screen.

Thanks OP, I don't think I would have gotten a vita any time soon if it weren't for this and the newer version using an inferior screen.  

I jumped the gun yesterday and bought the Wifi version. Never expected the 3G version to go back in stock. Buuuuut I think I have a plan for me and anyone else in the same boat. I'm going to take the Wifi Vita and return it to Best Buy as a Gift Return and use the store credit (which will be the full $200 price) to either get the 3G or one of the other bundles, since they all seem to be the same price now. That might be easier than returning it to Radio Shack and hoping the 3Gs will still be in stock.
This isn't Slickdeals. Return fraud isn't welcome here.

Vita 2000 is Japan only for now, but I can't imagine that they wouldn't bring it here. OLED is very nice, but just so you know, it sucks royally when you are not in a building. For example the screen is nearly unviewable (washed out) when you are in a car or bus, even on a cloudy day. I have tried to fit in some Spelunky on my lunch break, sitting in my car, and I couldn't see the spiders at all. This does not help. LOL. That's one reason I'd like to get a Vita 2000. Much more usable in those situations. OLED is great for in-buliding use, though.

Whelp, decided to pull the trigger since none of the Black Friday ads so far have mentioned Vita deals. I'm sure Amazon will do something, but it'll probably just be something like additional free games bundled with a full price Vita, and I already have so many free PS+ games waiting to be played...

This isn't Slickdeals. Return fraud isn't welcome here.
I always ask Best Buy customer service directly before doing this kind of exchange and I've never been accused of fraud or refused. In fact, the last time I tried it, the rep told me the system was designed for this kind of situation, so the idea of it being "fraud" never came into play... But I'm sorry if I offended anyone with my suggestion.

I always Best Buy customer service directly before doing this kind of exchange and I've never been accused of fraud or refused. In fact, the last tiem I tried it, the rep told me the system was designed for this kind of situation, so the idea of it being "fraud" never came into play... But I'm sorry if I offended anyone with my suggestion.
It really is not a legit thing to do. BB didn't originally sell you that Vita, so when you return it, you're saddling them with a product they never originally sold you. You're also profiting from a return, at the expense of another retailer, which isn't cool. Plus, most stores track serial numbers of consoles, so that also is a problem. Why not just return the extra Vita to the store that sold it to you?

Looks like I missed the boat on this one. What are the odds that Best Buy would pm this for me if it's out of stock online?
Ugh, I debated too long and now I missed the boat too. It depends on the Best Buy, my Best Buy will actually go online to validate the price and when they do they will see that it is out of stock and not honor it.

It really is not a legit thing to do. BB didn't originally sell you that Vita, so when you return it, you're saddling them with a product they never originally sold you. You're also profiting from a return, at the expense of another retailer, which isn't cool. Plus, most stores track serial numbers of consoles, so that also is a problem. Why not just return the extra Vita to the store that sold it to you?
When you put it that way, it makes a lot of sense. The problem was that with Radio Shack's sale going, there would be no guarantee that I could exchange the wifi version I have coming with a 3G model (to get the free 8gb memory stick). Radio Shack doesn't carry Vitas in stores (at least not here they don't), so returning it at the store wouldn't help me in exchanging it.

Since Sony considers these different units to have the same value, I viewed it as a relatively harmless exchange if I just used another store that actually had stock that wasn't getting scooped up via the sale rush, but I see your point. It's not exactly "fair play".

Even beyond all the fraud talk, I don't think you'll have any luck with returning a system like this. The serial numbers are scanned at purchase to put the warranty into effect. Best Buy will be able to see that you didn't buy this there. Most retailers won't take a system back if the serial doesn't show up as being bought at that store.

I signed up a few days ago to be emailed when they were back in stock. I checked before I went to sleep this morning on a whim, and the 3G was back in stock so I ordered it. I never received the email that it was in stock.

Looks like my return plan was foiled before it began. Neither Best Buy nor any other store nearby carries the 3G Vitas except GameStop, who doesn't do gift returns without a gift receipt.

On the bright side, GameStop's Black Friday sale will have 8gb memory cards for $10. Maybe I'll just pick up a few of those instead.

I'd advise people not to cancel their WiFi orders just to try to get 3G ones; its just not worth the hassle. You'd need a plan with AT&T to support the 3G, not worth it.
^^^ And just to underscore this, the USA Vita is hard-locked to only accept AT&T's SIM's, while European versions allow any GSM network's SIM card.

bread's done
Back