Wii FAQ 1.5 *ATTN MODS: PLEASE LOCK BUT LEAVE STICKIED FOR NOW, THANK YOU!!*

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Blaine']You can email images to the Wii, you can not email images from the Wii.
As for the Mii... yeah, I didn't try that either.[/quote]If I'm not mistaken I believe Nintendo said this feature would be more robust in the future. Can't recall where I read / heard that however.

This is a great FAQ. So how do I get online with my Wii? I have a Linksys WRT54G router and it is located in the same space as the Wii so signal strength should not be an issue.

I go into settings and select "Wireless" for my connection but everytime I test it I get an error.

What is an SSID? Do I need to fill something in there? I'm guessing it's the name of my secured network (javeryh) but I have no idea what the password is and I always get an error at that step. I'm pretty sure I have WEP security enabled. I have no idea how to change settings on my router and my laptop can connect to it with no problem. Any ideas?

Awesome post Strell. Add in that the Wii is compatible with the Freeloader at the moment to play import games. Just insert the Freeloader, turn off the system, turn the system back on again, and load the Freeloader. It then works normally as a boot disc for all of your moon games.

[quote name='javeryh']This is a great FAQ. So how do I get online with my Wii? I have a Linksys WRT54G router and it is located in the same space as the Wii so signal strength should not be an issue.

I go into settings and select "Wireless" for my connection but everytime I test it I get an error.

What is an SSID? Do I need to fill something in there? I'm guessing it's the name of my secured network (javeryh) but I have no idea what the password is and I always get an error at that step. I'm pretty sure I have WEP security enabled. I have no idea how to change settings on my router and my laptop can connect to it with no problem. Any ideas?[/QUOTE]

go to 192.168.0.1 then wireless settings and see what the wireless key is.

[quote name='Genocidal']It appears that all of these games are "wrapped" with either a large amount of encryption data or each download is actually the full executable, in which case Nintendo could very well be writing individual emulators for each game. The reason I say this is because a friend of mine showed me his Super Mario 64 download, which was 11MB. The original game was 8.00MB (64 megabit) so there's 3MB of 'padding' there.

Take that for what you will.[/quote]

Isn't the instruction booklet also part of the download? That would likely be some of that extra space. I hope they do box art and other "extras" in the future.

[quote name='Blaine']Bomberman 93 is 29 blocks. I have one VC game and 2126 'blocks' left. Red Steel is 3 blocks, Wii Sports is 2.

I'm interested in hearing from someone with Mario64, but... yeah, I can confirm you can easily get 70+ TG-16 games. Considering you have less than 50 channel slots... yeah.[/QUOTE]

Hmm. I'd be able to figure this out if I knew how much of the internal memory was used up by the system, but what, pray tell, is the MB'Blocks' formula?

Thanks for the FAQ Strell.

Here's another question, which I think I know the answer to, but I don't know if I'm right. Is the Wii capable of outputting progressive scan for Gamecube games?

I am seriously considering selling off my cube along with the component cables if the Wii can do everything the cube can. The only difference I see is the GB Player, but I hardly use that anyway.

I thought I had heard you could use any USB Ethernet Adapter with the Wii? I'd love to get a cheaper non-nintendo one..

[quote name='javeryh']This is a great FAQ. So how do I get online with my Wii? I have a Linksys WRT54G router and it is located in the same space as the Wii so signal strength should not be an issue.

What is an SSID? Do I need to fill something in there? I'm guessing it's the name of my secured network (javeryh) but I have no idea what the password is and I always get an error at that step. I'm pretty sure I have WEP security enabled. I have no idea how to change settings on my router and my laptop can connect to it with no problem. Any ideas?[/quote]

Go to http://192.168.1.1 (the default address for Linksys admin pages). Enter your admin password in the 'password' field. It is 'admin' by default if you haven't changed it.

Click on the Wireless tab. You will be on the Basic Wireless Settings page.

- Set Wireless Network Mode to 'Mixed' This will allow devices that use both B and G wireless protocols to connect.

- The SSID is listed next. Note what it is.

- Check to see if Wireless SSID broadcast is turned on. If it is, then your Wii will be able to detect it. If not, you will need to manually enter it.

- See if SES security is turned on. I would recommend turning it off since it seems to cause nothing but problems for me.

Click on the Wireless Security option.

- Note your Security Mode setting, you'll need to specify it later
- If your setting is set to WEP, take note of your key which should be listed below
- If your setting is set to WAP, take note of your shared key which should be listed below

Click on the Wireless Mac Filter option

- If it is turned off, save any changes and exit
- If it is turned on, get the MAC address of your Wii and enter it into the MAC filter settings
- Save changes and exit

Power cycle your Wii and try again.

What is an SSID? Do I need to fill something in there? I'm guessing it's the name of my secured network (javeryh) but I have no idea what the password is and I always get an error at that step. I'm pretty sure I have WEP security enabled. I have no idea how to change settings on my router and my laptop can connect to it with no problem. Any ideas?[/QUOTE]

Every router has a default IP that you can login to to change the settings. If you are wifi, you need to connect via LAN first in case you change a setting that will lock you out or brick the router. But if you do, the reset button on the back and start over from scratch.

Linksys's routers are almost always (unless changed during setup) 192.168.1.1. Just shove that number in your address bar and connect. It will ask you for username/password, then you can access all of your settings. If you have WEP enabled, it's a 10 digit code and most people who set it up just use their phone number for easy recall.

Hope this helps.

[quote name='jer7583']I thought I had heard you could use any USB Ethernet Adapter with the Wii? I'd love to get a cheaper non-nintendo one..[/quote]

so, is it possible?

anyone?

can you use a USB to ethernet adapter on the Wii?

if someone can answer, that'd be great.

i might take my lunch break and go to best buy to pick one up.

[quote name='Blaine']Nice work. There's no guarentee a 4GB SD Card will work since it uses SDHC, so YMMV.

A 2GB works just fine, it's what I have in it right now. About 6000 "blocks".[/QUOTE]

That seems way low. My 1GB said I had over 7000 blocks. I have nothing on it as of right now though.

And thanks a lot Strell! I had no idea you could move the channels around! YAY for more customization!
-G

[quote name='glockant']can you use a USB to ethernet adapter on the Wii?

if someone can answer, that'd be great.

i might take my lunch break and go to best buy to pick one up.[/quote]If you're talking about an adapter that plugs into the USB ports of the Wii, no, that won't work. The USB ports do nothing right now.

The Nintendo ethernet adapter will simply be a wireless access point. You plug an ethernet cable into it, and it broadcasts that signal to the Wii or any other device over Wi-Fi. If that's what you're referring to, any non-Nintendo branded wireless access point will work.

[quote name='botticus']If you're talking about an adapter that plugs into the USB ports of the Wii, no, that won't work. The USB ports do nothing right now.

The Nintendo ethernet adapter will simply be a wireless access point. You plug an ethernet cable into it, and it broadcasts that signal to the Wii or any other device over Wi-Fi. If that's what you're referring to, any non-Nintendo branded wireless access point will work.[/quote]

just to make sure..i wanted to see if this would work, so i can go wired.

EJF0012.jpg

my nintendo wifi dongle and xbox live don't like each other.

[quote name='glockant']just to make sure..i wanted to see if this would work, so i can go wired.

EJF0012.jpg

my nintendo wifi dongle and xbox live don't like each other.[/quote]

I'm pretty sure the Nintendo Wii LAN adapter is going to be almost the same as this (see page 51 in the Wii Operations Manual - Channel and Settings). It is supposed to go one sale sometime in January. I'm betting that Nintendo is going to issue an update to enable the USB ports to coincide with the release of the LAN adapter.

You will be able to go wired once you can buy the LAN adapter.

The adpater will be $25. Here is the link.

[quote name='Blaine']Nice work. There's no guarentee a 4GB SD Card will work since it uses SDHC, so YMMV.

A 2GB works just fine, it's what I have in it right now. About 6000 "blocks".[/quote]
Not all 4GB cards are SDHC. The official spec for 4GB SD-type cards is for SDHC (since SD is only FAT16 formatting, by the spec). I have a 4GB SD card in my Palm Tx and it works without issue, save a program or two that doesn't know what to do with a 4GB volume.

For playing videos and music, which is why I bought it, it works without issue.

The other issue is some card readers won't read a 4GB card, due to the controller chip used for the card reader.

4GB isn't official spec for SD, though it doesn't mean it won't work. Someone would just have to try it and see what happens.

[quote name='soonersfan60']Isn't the instruction booklet also part of the download? That would likely be some of that extra space.[/quote]I have no idea. Unfortunately, I don't have a Wii yet :whistle2:(

[quote name='evilmax17']What's the set release schedule for VC games? Is there a set day when new games will be added each month?[/quote]
Every Monday is what they're saying.

It seems that the included batteries for the remote are about to go out on me at the 20th hour. Not bad, especially with rumble being on and used constantly while navigating the menus.

[quote name='0192837465']Is it just me or does the wii cursor not line up vertically with your wiimote? It's not really a problem, I hold it in my lap and can do things just fine, but when I put it up to eye level there is about a half-foot difference. I've tried configuring it in Zelda and from the Wii menu, and placing the sensor in different positions...

Anyway just wanted to find out if this is normal, thanks alot!

edit: btw I'm about 6-7 feet away from my tv.[/quote]
bump...
anyone?

It's like holding it like a light gun puts it off, but when i hold it in my lap i cant tell as much.

[quote name='Strell']What is a System Code? Why do I have one? What can I use it for?
Much like Friend Codes on the Nintendo DS, a System Code is a unique number for your Wii system. In essence, it is your Wii's address/phone number/IP address/ID number.[/QUOTE]

It identifies the device; so it's not like a phone number, but a International Mobile Subscriber Identity (the mobile phone ID in the SIM card); not like an IP address (which can change) but a MAC address (which is constant).

[quote name='Strell']Should I put my Wii veritcal or horizontal? Does it matter?
At this time I am told it does not matter in terms of running down the rotary motors inside the disc loading mechanism. FriskyTanuki has said that it is required that the Wii be vertical in order to use GC discs, as they are smaller and must be centered inside to be read properly. I can only assume the way to check this is to have the Wii vertical.[/quote]
I'm sorry but is taken way out of context with words I never even said. I was talking about my current setup when I was on this subject and said that within my current setup, having the Wii horizontally would make it awkward for me to reach the GC ports on the top (left side when horizontally). I'm not sure where you got that information from.

[quote name='mykevermin']Hmm. I'd be able to figure this out if I knew how much of the internal memory was used up by the system, but what, pray tell, is the MB'Blocks' formula?[/QUOTE]
I tested with a blank 1GB SD card and got the ratio of 128KB per block. The game saves aren't necessarily in that size, though... the Zelda save is one block, but mine was only about 70KB on the card.
That ratio would put the usable chunk of the internal memory at about 270 of the 512MB, which seems a little low, but possible.

Also, I tried moving the names in the address book with A+B, and it didn't seem to work.

[quote name='rohlfinator']I tested with a blank 1GB SD card and got the ratio of 128KB per block. The game saves aren't necessarily in that size, though... the Zelda save is one block, but mine was only about 70KB on the card.
That ratio would put the usable chunk of the internal memory at about 270 of the 512MB, which seems a little low, but possible.

Also, I tried moving the names in the address book with A+B, and it didn't seem to work.[/quote]

That's the same info i gathered back on page 2. To Quote myself:

"My 2gb kingston SD card has 15709 blocks total. Which puts it at .127mb per block.

Seeing as the Wii internal memory, is 2163 total blocks. If the ratio holds true, only about 280mb of the Wiis Internal memory is available for game saving."

Having confirmation though, when Strell gets back, the info should probably be added to the FAQ.

I only read the OP, so I apologize if this has been posted elsewhere.

I have my Wii set horizontally, and I've had no problems loading and playing GC games on the Wii. Hence, I doubt that the Wii must be vertical to properly "center" the discs, but this is my experience only.

I have also run 5 GCs discs on the Wii right now and have encountered no compatibility issues. I can't imagine that there will be any BC problems whatsoever.

I stand firm by the jpeg portion. In fact, the Wii will only display jpegs. When you convert videos you're converting them to mjpeg (Motion Jpeg) which is part of the reason the file sizes become mon-star.

I'd love to see a firmware update, or even charge me $5 for a Video Channel, that will allow vanilla avi. Hoping for DiVX or XViD codecs probably won't happen.

As for the 2GB roof *shrug*, that'll have to be tested. I believe Nintendo's stance on it is 'it might not work'. Which is to say, maybe you will be able to use it but... maybe only half of the card, or maybe some data will be corrupted.

[quote name='dothog']I only read the OP, so I apologize if this has been posted elsewhere.

I have my Wii set horizontally, and I've had no problems loading and playing GC games on the Wii. Hence, I doubt that the Wii must be vertical to properly "center" the discs, but this is my experience only.

I have also run 5 GCs discs on the Wii right now and have encountered no compatibility issues. I can't imagine that there will be any BC problems whatsoever.[/quote]
If you're talking about my quote, it's misquoted and out of context. Short answer is that it's incorrect, so you're correct in that it doesn't matter whether which way you put the Wii.

I thougt I read somthing about the wii using LEDs to change colors. was this a cut feture or just a rumor or am I just mistaken?

I has a question :)

My camera is a fuji-film, so in conclusion I use the XD memory card. I also have a 2GB SD card for my Wii (thank you buy.com, thank you google check out).

What is it exactly that I need that I can put pics on my SD card, as well as other media (songs, videos) onto my SD card so I can play/view them on my Wii. If anymore games come out that support custom soundtrack.. I wanna be prepared :)

I KNOW some of you know!!

[quote name='lilboo']I has a question :)

My camera is a fuji-film, so in conclusion I use the XD memory card. I also have a 2GB SD card for my Wii (thank you buy.com, thank you google check out).

What is it exactly that I need that I can put pics on my SD card, as well as other media (songs, videos) onto my SD card so I can play/view them on my Wii. If anymore games come out that support custom soundtrack.. I wanna be prepared :)

I KNOW some of you know!![/QUOTE]

If your computer doesn't have card slots (my laptop does) you need to buy a cheap multi-format card reader. I picked one up about a year ago at Target on clearance for $6 (mine is still sealed, as I've had no use for it). Normally they are $20 or so. They usually connect via USB to your PC and read nearly every card format (CompactFlash, SD, XD, etc).

Hmm.. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4901798 ???

Though, I don't see "XD" there.

How exactly do these work, and I apologize for being off topic (but I guess not really since this IS a Wii FAQ thread..and this is wii related since I wanna learn how to put pics on an SD card from my XD card.. FOR my Wii :) )

I guess there's slots for my XD card and SD card..plug it into the USB.. I'm sure there's software involved, so I'd run that and everything would be self explanatory on the screen? *hopes its that simple*

[quote name='Strell']
Does the stand hold any kind of charge? I heard it did.
This was falsely reported in Summer 2006 by a UK magazine, which suggested that the small plastic grey stand of the Wii (used when making the Wii vertical) might be where the actual power cord plugged in, which then transferred power to the Wii (there is a term for this I don't know off the top of my head, but lots of electronics use it, and I definitely had an electric toothbrush that did this exact thing once).
[/QUOTE]

The term is Electromagnetic Induction.

Somebody sticky this and unsticky the useless "Hardware/Accessories" thread. that info is from E3 and hasn't been updated.

[quote name='Apossum']Somebody sticky this and unsticky the useless "Hardware/Accessories" thread. that info is from E3 and hasn't been updated.[/QUOTE]

QFT

[quote name='Apossum']Somebody sticky this and unsticky the useless "Hardware/Accessories" thread. that info is from E3 and hasn't been updated.[/quote]
Done.

I'm nitpicking here... but when you get a chance.. one of your questions is "What does the "favorite" mean when I design my Wii? It just changes their pant color..."

Should be Mii, not Wii ;)

[quote name='lilboo']Hmm.. http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=4901798 ???

Though, I don't see "XD" there.

How exactly do these work, and I apologize for being off topic (but I guess not really since this IS a Wii FAQ thread..and this is wii related since I wanna learn how to put pics on an SD card from my XD card.. FOR my Wii :) )

I guess there's slots for my XD card and SD card..plug it into the USB.. I'm sure there's software involved, so I'd run that and everything would be self explanatory on the screen? *hopes its that simple*[/quote]

If you have XP or OSX it should recognize it immediately as a drive (just like a flash drive). And that's it.

A few questions to add in.

1. Can you use MMC cards in place of SD cards? I have been told previously that any SD drive can also accept MMC, but perhaps Wii is an exception.

2. Any word on territory lockout? I read that it checks the territory for the Virtual Console (with differences in the libraries of VC games available), but it was rumored that Wii games would not have a territory lockout, or would have only an "optional" lockout like Xbox 360. Obviously since the system has yet to be launched outside North America, this can't really be tested, but perhaps someone has a link to information.

3. Are the Virtual Console games copy protected? What's to stop me from transferring a VC game to an SD card, and then bringing the SD card over to my friend's house to put on his Wii?

4. I know you can't use the Game Boy Player because it connects to the "broadband" port on the Gamecube, and the Wii has no such port. But what about those third-party GBA players that simply connected to the Gamecube memory card slot?

5. Is the email a kind of web-based system, or is it a POP3 kind of thing? Are emails stored on the system so I can read old ones anytime without being connected, or do I have to connect every time? If I'm not connected at the moment and someone emails my Wii, do I get it when I reconnect or is it lost?

6. Let's say I have no wifi connection at my home whatsoever. Would it be possible to obtain WiiConnect24 updates by periodically taking my system to a place with free wifi (or a friend's house with wifi), plugging it in, and waiting a while?

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back