Wii FAQ 1.5 *ATTN MODS: PLEASE LOCK BUT LEAVE STICKIED FOR NOW, THANK YOU!!*

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Rig']Ugh. My Wiimotes' speaker is going out. I was playing Zelda last night when I first noticed it. The sound would get a static sound sometimes, and other times it would cut completely out.

I hope I just got a defective one, and that this isn't a widespread problem. I'd hate for Nintendo to have to replace/repair lots of Wiimotes. For the record I have never dropped, thrown, or otherwise abused my Wiimote. Hell, I make sure anyone uses it washes their hands first, and I won't let them do over exaggerate moves!

I'll be giving them a call shortly.[/QUOTE]
Both of my wiimotes sound terrible. Very tinny and cheap. Assuming I had the sound turned on in them, if they were broke, the only way I'd be able to tell is if they were inoperable.

[quote name='dothog']Both of my wiimotes sound terrible. Very tinny and cheap. Assuming I had the sound turned on in them, if they were broke, the only way I'd be able to tell is if they were inoperable.[/quote]
I turned the darn thing off as well...it was annoying as hell. I invested a pretty penny on my sorround system, and don't need a crappy speaker from Nintendo. I could see it being useful if you didnt' have a sorround system, but anyone with decent speakers should really just turn the volume off.

[quote name='dragonjud']I turned the darn thing off as well...it was annoying as hell. I invested a pretty penny on my sorround system, and don't need a crappy speaker from Nintendo. I could see it being useful if you didnt' have a sorround system, but anyone with decent speakers should really just turn the volume off.[/quote]I'm pretty sure that any sound coming out of the remote will not be routed to your speakers. So you're fine as long as something doesn't require the speaker (Red Steel's killer mode, for example).

[quote name='Rig']Ugh. My Wiimotes' speaker is going out. I was playing Zelda last night when I first noticed it. The sound would get a static sound sometimes, and other times it would cut completely out.

I hope I just got a defective one, and that this isn't a widespread problem. I'd hate for Nintendo to have to replace/repair lots of Wiimotes. For the record I have never dropped, thrown, or otherwise abused my Wiimote. Hell, I make sure anyone uses it washes their hands first, and I won't let them do over exaggerate moves!

I'll be giving them a call shortly.[/QUOTE]
Mine sounded broke from the start. Sound was horrid if it even sounded when it should have. I was like WTF when I first heard that cracked cheap horrid crap for the first time.

I've heard they also patched an exploit that allowed people to use DNS redirects to use the Wii Shop Channel as a web browser.

[quote name='doctorfaustus']An observation: The wrist strap dongle is shaped like a wii.[/QUOTE]
Observation 2: A curled-up nunchuck cord and nunchunk look similar to a garter snake swallowing a small hedgehog.

[quote name='isaac']What're the chances that japanese controllers and component cables will be compatible with US systems? I know the GC worked fine in regards to both.[/QUOTE]

It was confirmed that Japanese accessories WILL work with a US Wii earlier by Play-Asia.

I'm going to hit up a buncha game stores and try to track down an extra Wiimote and a Classic Controller later today.
I WANTED to get a D-terminal cable (Japan's equivalent of Component Cables) too, but they've been delayed until December 9th!
ARGH! I just want to play Zelda in High-res!! *cry*

Also, I just noticed I have Freeloader V1.00! WOO! Maybe I'll pack my Panasonic Q away after all...

Also, not that its entirely legal, but has anyone else heard about/tried this method to use emulators on your GC/Wii??
This:

http://www.ps2fliptop.net/sdguide.htm

I got that link from another gaming site (maybe Kotaku?) in a post that says that this method also works perfectly w/Wii.
Could be a nice alternative to anyone who hates VC pricing. (not me, I already bought 7 games, haha!)

Man is there some way other than reading the whole thing again to find updated stuff easy? If not you should tag stuff with another color and that date when its new.

[quote name='doctorfaustus']An observation: The wrist strap dongle is shaped like a wii.[/QUOTE]
The power brick and most of the cable connectors have the "notched corner" design, too. Same with SD cards, although those have been around for a while. Nintendo's engineers must have had some fun designing the Wii.

BIG update.

I am also going to add some more stuff tonight. But I've been hacking at this for a while just now, and I need a break.

Also, attention any mods: Is it possible for me to be given the post space immediately after the first one? 'Cuz I imagine I'm going to fill up the post's limitation soon, and if there was a way for me to reserve the second one for spill-over, I'd appreciate it.

If this isn't possible, we can probably split the FAQ into two parts. You'll notice the "hardware" section is huge by itself.

[quote name='Gameboy415']It was confirmed that Japanese accessories WILL work with a US Wii earlier by Play-Asia.[/quote]
Source? Just want to make sure because Play-Asia has nunchucks and classics in stock and I'd like to try and use the new holiday coupons to grab some.

Edit: oops, never mind about P-A...shipping is insane. I might as well just wait for them to show up in stores locally.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']1.04? From what I can tell from a quick search, the versions available are 1.0, 1.04, 1.06, 1.06b, and 1.06B. Unless people are being vague or posting a mistake those are the versions most people have. The research I've seen, meaning what I've seen everyone specifically post, suggests this:

1.06 works (Rig)
1.06b works
1.06B doesn't work (mine)
The Freeloader-boasting Action Replay works (should work regardless of version)

This NeoGAF thread is what I'm basing the other versions on.

The tough thing seems to be trying to track down a specific version from retailers, but I see that Play-Asia has 1.06B from their listing. The only reason to not get the Action Replay is price, but it's availability in the US is more desirable. I'll have to see what I can find.[/quote]
Strell, I've worked this around to at least confirmed reports. As far as I know, there's just two versions of Freeloader, since 1.0 is likely just being read from the manual and Rig hasn't confirms 1.04, which I'm guessing is really 1.06b. You could just label the others as unconfirmed or possibly misread.

[quote name='Strell']
My Wii's power light is all sorts of colors! THEY SCARE ME!
When the Wii is on and in a game/channels/etc, it will be green. jezebelseven and FriskyTanuki add the following, which I have paraphrased: orange means suspend but WiiConnect24 is still on, red means standby by WiiConnect24 is off.
You wrote suspend here instead of standby.

Should I put my Wii vertical or horizontal? Does it matter?
At this time I am told it does not matter in terms of running down the rotary motors inside the disc loading mechanism. Originally, FriskyTanuki said vertical was required for Gamecube discs, but several people have told me this is not correct, and that horizontal will work just fine. HOWEVER, at least one person (let me know who you are, I'll put you in here) said that they had issues horizontally, and that vertical orientation fixed it. So I guess the official answer is no, but in all likelyhood vertical is the preferred orientation.
Another thing to consider is that air flow will be better with a horizontal setup. When vertical, the console base has a slot open for the Wii’s internal intake fan to vent the system and keep it cool. lebowsky is the man with the plan on this one. He also wonders if there is a heat dissipation difference between a vertical and horizontal system, and thus see which might be cooler.[/quote]
I'll requote myself for this part:
[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I'm sorry but is taken way out of context with words I never even said. I was talking about my current setup when I was on this subject and said that within my current setup, having the Wii horizontally would make it awkward for me to reach the GC ports on the top (left side when horizontally). I'm not sure where you got that information from.[/quote]

Also, I'll add that the Wii disc slot can glow blue to notify you of messages while it's on. I think the only time it won't glow to notify you is during games. I was just in the Wii menu at the time that I noticed this:

Notice the green on light and glowing blue disc slot.

Keep up the good work on the FAQ.

[quote name='Strell']BIG update.

I am also going to add some more stuff tonight. But I've been hacking at this for a while just now, and I need a break.

Also, attention any mods: Is it possible for me to be given the post space immediately after the first one? 'Cuz I imagine I'm going to fill up the post's limitation soon, and if there was a way for me to reserve the second one for spill-over, I'd appreciate it.

If this isn't possible, we can probably split the FAQ into two parts. You'll notice the "hardware" section is huge by itself.[/quote]If need be, rather than having two parts, just repost the FAQ (reserving the second post in that thread), and have them swap the stickied thread.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Strell, I've worked this around to at least confirmed reports. As far as I know, there's just two versions of Freeloader, since 1.0 is likely just being read from the manual and Rig hasn't confirms 1.04, which I'm guessing is really 1.06b. You could just label the others as unconfirmed or possibly misread.
[/quote]

Sorry about the lack of an update. I forgot all about this. Called home and had the bottom of the disc looked at: it's 1.06. They said there was no 'b' or 'B' on the disc with it, so I guess that confirms I have a 1.06. And it worked just fine with Naruto 4.

[quote name='Rig']Sorry about the lack of an update. I forgot all about this. Called home and had the bottom of the disc looked at: it's 1.06. They said there was no 'b' or 'B' on the disc with it, so I guess that confirms I have a 1.06. And it worked just fine with Naruto 4.[/quote]
Interesting. Thanks for the clarification. Updated that post.

Another big update.

Stuff I can use some help on (some are things just I need to finish up):
  • More about Gamecube imports (assuming more is needed)
  • Mii's updating themselves automatically versus requiring a re-send (assuming more is needed)
  • Ultimately moving it to a new thread and reserved the first few posts for expansion

[quote name='gunm']Source? Just want to make sure because Play-Asia has nunchucks and classics in stock and I'd like to try and use the new holiday coupons to grab some.

Edit: oops, never mind about P-A...shipping is insane. I might as well just wait for them to show up in stores locally.[/QUOTE]

Me!

I live in Japan, have an American Wii and I just bought a Japanese Wiimote, Nunchuck, and Classic Controller and they all work flawlessly!

The shipping is insane from P-A to the States? Damn.
They ship for FREE to Japan! :D

Not sure if it helps any, but my 1.06b FreeLoader has never once worked in the Wii. It's a bummer, but whatever.

I'm wondering what the deal is with some working and others not. It works just fine in my Cube.

[quote name='Gameboy415']Me!

I live in Japan, have an American Wii and I just bought a Japanese Wiimote, Nunchuck, and Classic Controller and they all work flawlessly!

The shipping is insane from P-A to the States? Damn.
They ship for FREE to Japan! :D[/quote]

Thanks--Play-asia also confirmed this on their site through their own testing as well. My shipping cost for 2 classics and 1 nunchuck? $22. Ouch.

Anyway, here is Play-asia's Wii FAQ for importers:

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-17-71-bs-74-19i-49-en.html

Not sure if this info is worthy of going into this thread, but there it is...

Another update.

Prolly won't add to this thing again for a few days, unless something juicy appears. It's a lot of work!

Still need to do the following:
  • More about Gamecube imports (assuming more is needed)
  • Mii's updating themselves automatically versus requiring a re-send (assuming more is needed)
  • Ultimately moving it to a new thread and reserved the first few posts for expansion
  • Add in section concerning safety, link to http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/wiisafety.jsp

Also, if someone knows a way I can host a .doc file online for download, I'll add it to the FAQ. I imagine some people might want to have a copy of this on their hard drive locally. Thanks!!

Discovered today...You can only send out 20 Miis per day.

Oh, and Strell...sadly, I can't reserve additional posts for you in a thread.
Did you think about porting this over to the CAGwiki?

[quote name='gunm']Thanks--Play-asia also confirmed this on their site through their own testing as well. My shipping cost for 2 classics and 1 nunchuck? $22. Ouch.

Anyway, here is Play-asia's Wii FAQ for importers:

http://www.play-asia.com/paOS-17-71-bs-74-19i-49-en.html

Not sure if this info is worthy of going into this thread, but there it is...[/QUOTE]

YIKES. That is pretty darned expensive shipping!

Wii accessories are quite cheap here too!
I got my extra Wiimote/chuck/Classic Controller for 7200 yen, which is roughly $70.

I'm completely broke right now (damned $1300 plane tickets!) otherwise I'd hook y'all up. :(

Can I re-organize my Address Book? I want to put all my CAG buddies next to each other...
I think the only way this is possible is to delete certain names and then re-add them. I don't know if this requires that you re-authorize on the other person's Wii, but I doubt it, since your actions shouldn't affect their consoles. In other words, if I had a CAG at 1 and then a friend's e-mail at 2 and another CAG at 3, I'd have to delete either the first CAG and re-add him, which I'd assume would push everything up a slot, meaning the e-mail becomes 1 and the second CAG becomes 2, etc. (Note: A+B does not move these around.) Doing e-mail addresses might prove more difficult.
I've got an answer for this question:

Every friend in the Address Book stays in that slot regardless of what you do to the friends around them. They'll always stay in that slot unless you erase them and re-register them to be put in the earliest empty slot you have available. Because of that, it's pretty much not worth it to try to reorganize them as you get new friends to add.

This also applies to the avatar part of the Address Book, as well. Each Mii that you can choose from for friends stays in the first slot that's available. As you delete Miis, they disappear from the list, but the next Mii you make or receive, will be inserted back into that former slot instead of being at the back of the list.

I hope that last part makes sense.

[quote name='CheapyD']Discovered today...You can only send out 20 Miis per day.

Oh, and Strell...sadly, I can't reserve additional posts for you in a thread.
Did you think about porting this over to the CAGwiki?[/QUOTE]

I'll add that part to the next update (maybe tomorrow).

Also need to add your Wii Code.

And someone (botticus I think) suggested that when the time comes, I just create a new thread and reserve the first few posts, then have this one shut down. Maybe tomorrow.

As for wikiship, I'll look into it. Seems like something I ought to learn how to do, unless your editors want to get cracking on it. I can't imagine that they do, but we'll see.

Here's some trivia about the Wiimote and Nunchuk.

The Wiimote only has one 3-axis accelerometer. Since this is not a gyroscope, there's one particular axis it can't measure: "spin." By spin I mean rotation on an axis that is perpendicular to the earth (like a tank turret). Try it yourself on Wii Sports Baseball. If you hold the Wii remote exactly parallel to the ground (on the floor works) and slowly turn it like a merry-go-round you'll notice that the bat won't react.

This comes into play with FPS games because it means you can't quickly swing the camera left and right (as you otherwise might with a mouse). Since the IR sensor is already being used for crosshairs, the only remaining way to pan the camera left or right is to A) map it to the analog stick, B) map it to one of the tilt directions of either the Nunchuk or the Wiimote, or C) use the invisible box around the screen like Red Steel and Call of Duty currently do.

Here's a question: I swear the music thats played when you're creating a Mii is from Mario Paint. Does anyone else think so or am I just crazy?

[quote name='A Happy Panda']Here's a question: I swear the music thats played when you're creating a Mii is from Mario Paint. Does anyone else think so or am I just crazy?[/QUOTE]

Nope I thought thats what it was, or a remix.

[quote name='botticus']I believe the Mii Parade maxes out at 200 Miis, that should probably be added in there.[/quote]
Nope. I had 222 in mine last time I checked. I'll let everyone know when it seems to max out.

[quote name='foltzie']Does the Wii show the current firmware version anywhere?[/quote]
It's in the corner of the settings menus.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Nope. I had 222 in mine last time I checked. I'll let everyone know when it seems to max out.[/quote]

Holy crap! Send me some good celebrity ones if you have any please!

[quote name='javeryh']Holy crap! Send me some good celebrity ones if you have any please![/quote]
Have you added me to your friends list? You're still greyed out on mine. I'll send you some whenever I can.

For the record, it's up to 257 as of this post.

Yeah, somehow I just randomly wound up with exactly 200 at one point. Now I was up to 220 before snagging a few that I could identify as CAG personal Miis for my plaza.

alright, if your christmas tree is near your tv you should unplug the lights before playing. i just started my wii and couldnt figure out why the pointer wouldnt focus. and then it clicked, the christmas tree lights! so i turned em off and it works fine now.

[quote name='foltzie']CelebriMii has been set for the ages.[/QUOTE]

Why they ignored mine, I have no idea.

So I guess I gotsta submit it again....

Congrats though!

It would be nice to have a little clarification on the E-Mail part of the FAQ. I have added my own hotmail address to my Wii's address book and was going to attempt to send the first message to it via the FAQ's guidence, but the send message button is greyed out. How do I "add" my Wii console to my hotmail account? Do I add my Wii's e-mail address to my hotmail address book?
Thanks.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Have you added me to your friends list? You're still greyed out on mine. I'll send you some whenever I can.

For the record, it's up to 257 as of this post.[/QUOTE]

What are you up to now, Frisky?

I'm still down at a lowly 152 :lol:.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Just checked it, it's up to 303 right now.[/QUOTE]

You think thats something! I have a grand total of 2... Of course the FIRST Mii in the parade was Hitler... So I assume the other ones are hiding out of fear...

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back