Wii FAQ 1.5 *ATTN MODS: PLEASE LOCK BUT LEAVE STICKIED FOR NOW, THANK YOU!!*

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm going to answer one of your questions that I THINK I can answer it well.

3. Are the Virtual Console games copy protected? What's to stop me from transferring a VC game to an SD card, and then bringing the SD card over to my friend's house to put on his Wii?

Apparently yes. If you put a VC game on an SD card, it WON'T work on someone else's Wii. The best thing I can think of is that the games are backed up with your Wii number. Oh also, if you linked your Wii with your MyNintendo account... you can log into the MyNintendo account (on PC, obviously :p) and look at games you registered. All the VC games come up automatically under your account. I assume that this is what Nintendo can use if something happened to our Wii, and that adds more protection to the VC games.

[quote name='j_factor']
6. Let's say I have no wifi connection at my home whatsoever. Would it be possible to obtain WiiConnect24 updates by periodically taking my system to a place with free wifi (or a friend's house with wifi), plugging it in, and waiting a while?[/quote]

You plug it in, set up the wireless connection, get it connected, and then it updates. It's pretty straightforward, and fast.
Then you can just take it over there anytime, and choose WiiConnect24 from the menu.

You have to choose WiiConnect24 from a menu? I thought the concept of WC24 was that it worked stealthily and automatically, without user input.

[quote name='j_factor']You have to choose WiiConnect24 from a menu? I thought the concept of WC24 was that it worked stealthily and automatically, without user input.[/quote]

I meant to activate it intially.
Once you choose "YES" it'll stay connected during standby.

Hey i got 2 little fun facts that made you could put in the FAQ?

Make a note that the Weather Channel is available December 20, and the News Channel will be available January 27 :)

[quote name='j_factor']6. Let's say I have no wifi connection at my home whatsoever. Would it be possible to obtain WiiConnect24 updates by periodically taking my system to a place with free wifi (or a friend's house with wifi), plugging it in, and waiting a while?[/QUOTE]

No, you have to set the Wii up to connect to a specific AP. It will not grab any available hotspot unless you tell it which one to use.

[quote name='crystalklear64']Heres a question... whats up with the Weather/News channels? They don't seem to do anything and when I hit update it says its already updated.[/QUOTE]

The service isn't available yet. (Like it says on the channels ;) )

[quote name='Ispep Aloc']Nice FAQ. I can confirm that Turbo Grafx games work with the Wii-mote. Was playing Bonk with it the other day.[/quote]
How does it handle the Turbo functionality? The original Turbopads had switches that could toggle rapidfire for each of its buttons. Was this included in the emulation?

It's coming along nicely, Strell. Good work.

I just wanted to throw my two cents in on the import Gamecube games on Wii. The only one I have is Naruto: Gekitou Ninja Taisen 4 for my GC. And, I have a Freeloader 1.0.

I powered my Wii on, inserted the Freeloader disc, and chose it from the channel. My Wii then rebooted. I again went to the game channel and selected my Freeloader disc. And this time, it worked just like it did on the Gamecube! I ejected the Freeloaded, popped Naruto in, and it worked like a charm. I also hit reset on the console, and it still registered Naruto, as the GC did.

EDIT: Here is what the cover of my Freeloader looks like.

So, I'm at least agreeing that it is possible to play imports on the Wii, but I think it comes down to what version Freeloader you have. (I heard 1.6 does not work on Wii!) I am certain mine was an older version, so maybe you'd want to track that particular one down for import play. Hope this helps.

Can you save games in the VC? I remember reading somewhere(Gamespot I think) that someone played Sonic, turned it off, and when they turned it back on it resumed from the level they left off. I think this would be awesome if this is true, it's the main reason I like ROMs.

Anyone figure out what the 'button' is on the top of the VC Controller? It moves to little slits on the back of the controller...not sure what its there for though. Does it attach to something else not yet out?

[quote name='Rig']It's coming along nicely, Strell. Good work.

I just wanted to throw my two cents in on the import Gamecube games on Wii. The only one I have is Naruto: Gekitou Ninja Taisen 4 for my GC. And, I have a Freeloader. Sadly, I do not have them here with me, so I cannot be sure as to what version number Freeloader I have, but I think it was a 1.4.

I powered my Wii on, inserted the Freeloader disc, and chose it from the channel. My Wii then rebooted. I again went to the game channel and selected my Freeloader disc. And this time, it worked just like it did on the Gamecube! I ejected the Freeloaded, popped Naruto in, and it worked like a charm. I also hit reset on the console, and it still registered Naruto, as the GC did.

EDIT: Here is what the cover of my Freeloader looks like.

So, I'm at least agreeing that it is possible to play imports on the Wii, but I think it comes down to what version Freeloader you have. (I heard 1.6 does not work on Wii!) I am certain mine was an older version, so maybe you'd want to track that particular one down for import play. Hope this helps.[/quote]
1.04? From what I can tell from a quick search, the versions available are 1.0, 1.04, 1.06, 1.06b, and 1.06B. Unless people are being vague or posting a mistake those are the versions most people have. The research I've seen, meaning what I've seen everyone specifically post, suggests this:

1.06b works
1.06B doesn't work (mine)
The Freeloader-boasting Action Replay works (should work regardless of version)

This NeoGAF thread is what I'm basing the other versions on.

The tough thing seems to be trying to track down a specific version from retailers, but I see that Play-Asia has 1.06B from their listing. The only reason to not get the Action Replay is price, but it's availability in the US is more desirable. I'll have to see what I can find.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']1.04? From what I can tell from a quick search, the versions available are 1.0, 1.04, 1.06, 1.06b, and 1.06B. Unless people are being vague or posting a mistake those are the versions most people have. The research I've seen, meaning what I've seen everyone specifically post, suggests this:

1.0 works
1.04 works (Rig)
1.06b works
1.06B doesn't work (mine)
The Freeloader-boasting Action Replay works (from GameFAQs; Not sure if there are multiple versions or not)
[/quote]

Well, I was incorrect. I just called home to confirm my version number, and I actually have the Freeloader 1.0. So, I'm editing my post now. Sorry about that.

[quote name='Rig']Well, I was incorrect. I just called home to confirm my version number, and I actually have the Freeloader 1.0. So, I'm editing my post now. Sorry about that.[/quote]
That's the version number written on the bottom of the disc?

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']That's the version number written on the bottom of the disc?[/quote]

No, I guess it was written on the case or in the booklet. I just had them look for a version number.

[quote name='Rig']No, I guess it was written on the case or in the booklet. I just had them look for a version number.[/quote]
Yeah, that's not it. Mine says that, too. You can only find it either on the bottom of the disc or by actually loading up the Freeloader and seeing what version number appears in the corner of the screen.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Yeah, that's not it. Mine says that, too. You can only find it either on the bottom of the disc or by actually loading up the Freeloader and seeing what version number appears in the corner of the screen.[/quote]

Didn't realize that. A friend from home is coming down on Wednesday. I'll have him grab the disc from home so I can check which version it is.

hey, does anyone know if there is a way to only let player 1 turn the console off. i was beating a friendin madden and scored again and they turned it off. psh!

[quote name='iheartmetal']hey, does anyone know if there is a way to only let player 1 turn the console off. i was beating a friendin madden and scored again and they turned it off. psh![/QUOTE]

LMFAO. It's like taking the "unplug your friend's controller" tactic to a whole new level.

I will research this further!

[quote name='Strell']LMFAO. It's like taking the "unplug your friend's controller" tactic to a whole new level.

I will research this further![/QUOTE]

thanks, if i learn anything ill be sure to post it.

Do you guys have WiiConnect 24 on or off? I had it on for a day or so, but I turned it off because I didn't like how the console was always warm. The only reason why I wanted to use WiiConnect 24 is so it could automatically download updates. But how often does the Wii actually do that?

[quote name='darkcrawlspace']Do you guys have WiiConnect 24 on or off? I had it on for a day or so, but I turned it off because I didn't like how the console was always warm. The only reason why I wanted to use WiiConnect 24 is so it could automatically download updates. But how often does the Wii actually do that?[/quote]

I did the same thing. Mine was on for a couple days, I realized how warm the console was getting, and I turned it back off.

[quote name='Rig']I did the same thing. Mine was on for a couple days, I realized how warm the console was getting, and I turned it back off.[/quote]

For those complaining of a warm Wii (lol), do you have your Wii sitting vertically or horizontally?

If you have the Wii standing vertically, the air intake vent is on the bottom of the console. You need to make sure that when you put the Wii into the base, that the intake is lined up with the cutout in the base so that there is proper air flow. Even with it lined up properly, it is going to be less efficient than having the console horizontal.

With the console sitting horizontally, the air intake is at the back of the unit and has no obstruction to air flow. I would be curious if there is a heat difference depending on which way the Wii is sitting.

[quote name='lebowsky']For those complaining of a warm Wii (lol), do you have your Wii sitting vertically or horizontally?

If you have the Wii standing vertically, the air intake vent is on the bottom of the console. You need to make sure that when you put the Wii into the base, that the intake is lined up with the cutout in the base so that there is proper air flow. Even with it lined up properly, it is going to be less efficient than having the console horizontal.

With the console sitting horizontally, the air intake is at the back of the unit and has no obstruction to air flow. I would be curious if there is a heat difference depending on which way the Wii is sitting.[/quote]

Actually, I thought the same thing, but mine was horizontal. I had the Wii vertical a few days ago with WiiConnect24 on and I didn't notice the same heat. Maybe I just didn't pay enough attention when it was vertical, since I would assume the heat would be worse in vertical position.

I thought I read somewhere you could get music on an SD and have some sort of custom soundtracks. Was this a rumor, or does it work? And if it does, how do you utilize it?

This may or may not go along with what you guys are talking about, but is there any way to turn the console completely off without unhooking the A/C adapter from the back? I'm not sure I like how it's in "standby" all the time, I'd like to completely turn it off.

[quote name='2Fast']This may or may not go along with what you guys are talking about, but is there any way to turn the console completely off without unhooking the A/C adapter from the back? I'm not sure I like how it's in "standby" all the time, I'd like to completely turn it off.[/quote]

That'd be the only way to completely shut it down, though I don't think you have anything to worry about with it in standby. I was worried when I got a slim PS2, but have never had a problem with it. (And I trust Nintendo brand products more than Sony!)

[quote name='Rig']That'd be the only way to completely shut it down, though I don't think you have anything to worry about with it in standby. I was worried when I got a slim PS2, but have never had a problem with it. (And I trust Nintendo brand products more than Sony!)[/quote]

Mine gets pretty warm even though it's vertical and in a pretty wide open space. I too trust Nintendo brand products like no other, but I do get a little worried by the heat. Unhooking the A/C adapter is fine and dandy, I just wish there was a (more convenient) way to turn it completely off.

[quote name='lebowsky']For those complaining of a warm Wii (lol), do you have your Wii sitting vertically or horizontally?

With the console sitting horizontally, the air intake is at the back of the unit and has no obstruction to air flow. I would be curious if there is a heat difference depending on which way the Wii is sitting.[/QUOTE]

ive had my console on the connect24 nonstop. my system has not been getting hot and i have it horizontally on my entertainment center

If you hold the power button, it will turn red instead of yellow, and that is Off, as opposed to Standby. I don't really feel it's anything to worry about. It doesn't get more hot over time, it's just not cooling itself while in standby.

And Rig, Excite Truck is the only game to support custom soundtracks off SD cards at the moment. I don't have it to tell you exactly how it's done, but I think it's just an option in the game settings.

[quote name='botticus']If you hold the power button, it will turn red instead of yellow, and that is Off, as opposed to Standby. I don't really feel it's anything to worry about. It doesn't get more hot over time, it's just not cooling itself while in standby.

And Rig, Excite Truck is the only game to support custom soundtracks off SD cards at the moment. I don't have it to tell you exactly how it's done, but I think it's just an option in the game settings.[/quote]
Red is still standby, just without WiiConnect24 on. Orange is also standby, but with WiiConnect 24 on.

What're the chances that japanese controllers and component cables will be compatible with US systems? I know the GC worked fine in regards to both.

[quote name='isaac']What're the chances that japanese controllers and component cables will be compatible with US systems? I know the GC worked fine in regards to both.[/QUOTE]

Really good. I mean, most accessories back then for systems were universal so that's why I think it would be ok.

In the settings for WiiConnect24 theirs an option to shut off the standby connection. So does that mean that WiiConnect24 would only be on while the console was on?

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Yeah, that's not it. Mine says that, too. You can only find it either on the bottom of the disc or by actually loading up the Freeloader and seeing what version number appears in the corner of the screen.[/quote]

Hmm, I haven't tried this yet, or even the action replay functionality. I have several disks at home (Action Replay), so I'll check them out and report findings later today or tomorrow. I only have Naruto 2 (to try), but that should be sufficient as I have no other imports.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']The only reason to not get the Action Replay is price, but it's availability in the US is more desirable. I'll have to see what I can find.[/quote]

My local Toys 'R Us (Norman, OK) had a few of these on clearance for 7.99 each. No clue if this is a global clearance or anything, but just thought I'd pass it along.

[quote name='darkcrawlspace']In the settings for WiiConnect24 theirs an option to shut off the standby connection. So does that mean that WiiConnect24 would only be on while the console was on?[/quote]
Yes.

[quote name='dragonjud']Hmm, I haven't tried this yet, or even the action replay functionality. I have several disks at home (Action Replay), so I'll check them out and report findings later today or tomorrow. I only have Naruto 2 (to try), but that should be sufficient as I have no other imports.[/quote]
Well, it has to be the Action Replays with Freeloader software included in them. If you have one of those, then I look forward to hearing if it does work or not.

[quote name='suko_32']Really good. I mean, most accessories back then for systems were universal so that's why I think it would be ok.[/QUOTE]

It's worth a shot, then. Thanks!

Alright guys here's what I found:

1) Version 1.14b action replay - Proceeded to put action replay disk in, and tried to then boot Naruto 2 (japanese version). At first the game loaded fine, but then at some point it crashed.
- However, it's almost as if it had executed down a path in memory that it had never accessed before.
- I shut down the machine manually (scared at this point). Proceeded to try a second time, and the game loaded and worked without problem.
- I did not try to write to the memory card or read from it, so I'm uncertain if that would cause problems. I have a separate gcube memory card because of the known gcube issues with Japanese vs. American games, so you may want to do the same.

2) Version 1.06 Action Replay, not the same as 1.06B- I repeated the process but this time, Naruto 2 booted without a single hitch. Again, it was as if had executed down a path that cleared the way. All lettering in the game looks fine, and plays fine as well.

Finally, I wanted to see if I could cheat (I'm a CAG and a cheater), so I popped in 1.14b, and chose the cheats for POP TTT, and the game loaded without a hitch with all cheats active. The gamecube emulation is top notch indeed, if even this kind of unexpected support is handled. Pleasantly surprised indeed.

OK, I'm sure this has been answered somewhere in here but I'm lazy... what can my Wii do right now besides play games, create Miis, view photos and download VC games? Is there any internet activity or anything going on right now?

[quote name='javeryh']OK, I'm sure this has been answered somewhere in here but I'm lazy... what can my Wii do right now besides play games, create Miis, view photos and download VC games? Is there any internet activity or anything going on right now?[/quote]You can send messages, pictures, etc to other Wiis (and in a limited fashion, cell phones and email addresses). And it looks like Elebits will be the first game to utilize WiiConnect24, allowing you to send user-created levels to friends.

Ugh. My Wiimotes' speaker is going out. I was playing Zelda last night when I first noticed it. The sound would get a static sound sometimes, and other times it would cut completely out.

I hope I just got a defective one, and that this isn't a widespread problem. I'd hate for Nintendo to have to replace/repair lots of Wiimotes. For the record I have never dropped, thrown, or otherwise abused my Wiimote. Hell, I make sure anyone uses it washes their hands first, and I won't let them do over exaggerate moves!

I'll be giving them a call shortly.

[quote name='botticus']You can send messages, pictures, etc to other Wiis (and in a limited fashion, cell phones and email addresses). And it looks like Elebits will be the first game to utilize WiiConnect24, allowing you to send user-created levels to friends.[/QUOTE]

Linky please? This is the first I've heard of this! Sounds good to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back