XBL DotW & Sales 2012 | 5/1 BF3 DLC (DotW) | More

Status
Not open for further replies.

reddjoey

CAGiversary!
Feedback
4 (100%)
Here is a list of all the current and upcoming Xbox Live Marketplace Sales for the US*. This includes the Deal of the Week, Family Plan Sale Item, and any other sales or promotions. I have also included the upcoming Xbox Live Arcade releases. Most sales are for one week.* Please feel free to PM or post if you see anything not listed here. Please note: ALL ITEMS ARE SUBJECT TO CHANGE! and some sales are for GOLD MEMBERS ONLY*. Have fun and enjoy.
(*unless otherwise noted)

All known sales and information on sales are in the OP. If some information on here is wrong or missing please shoot me a PM so I can adjust the OP!

[IMG-L=6565]17018[/IMG-L]
Xbox Live Deal of the Week:

[quote name='reddjoey']This thread is growing a bit too big so we need a new one.

Please move the DOTW discussion here.
[/QUOTE]

GOLD MEMBERS ONLY
48 Hours Gold trials and free Gold weekends won't get you the sale price.

5/1 - Battlefield 3

DLC:
-Back to Karkland - 600 Microsoft Points - 50% off - xbldb - Metacritic (83)

5/8 - Tom Clancy's Sale

DLC:

Endwar
-Escalation Expansion Pack - 200 Microsoft Points - 50% off - xbldb - Metacritic ( ) - Quick Look

Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter
-Chapter 2 - 300 Microsoft Points - 50% off - xbldb - Metacritic ( ) - Quick Look

GRAW 2
-Co-op Collection - 200 Microsoft Points - 50% off - xbldb - Metacritic ( ) - Quick Look
-Co-op Collection 2 - 200 Microsoft Points - 50% off - xbldb - Metacritic ( ) - Quick Look

Splinter Cell Conviction
-Deniable Ops: Insurgency - 400 Microsoft Points - 50% off - xbldb - Metacritic ( ) - Quick Look

H.A.W.X.
-Air Supremacy - 400 Microsoft Points - 50% off - xbldb - Metacritic ( ) - Quick Look

H.A.W.X. 2
-All in One Pack - 400 Microsoft Points - 50% off - xbldb - Metacritic ( ) - Quick Look

Games on Demand:
-Splinter Cell Chaos Theory - 600 Microsoft Points - 50% off - xbldb - Metacritic ( ) - Quick Look

-Splinter Cell Conviction Co-op Outfit (Male/Female) - 200 Microsoft Points - 50% off - xbldb

Family Gold Pack Deal:

5/1 - Nin2-Jump

XBLA:
-Nin2-Jump - 200 Microsoft Points - 50% off -xbldb - Metacritic (??) - Quick Look

Misc Sales:

Xbox Sales & Specials Page

?????? - Pets GOLD MEMBERS ONLY
-Cat (Pet) - 160 Microsoft Points - 33% off
-Pug Dog (Pet) - 160 Microsoft Points - 33% off

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='tylerh1701']It's not labeled as Gold Exclusive, so I don't think these are sales or DotW, and are probably just price drops. Hopefully they are, like Antarael said, FINALLY! These games were begging to be dropped in price, they've been on sale enough (plus 400 points is where they should have been priced to begin with).

Also, I believe that the servers are being pulled on these games very soon, which may also help to explain why their prices are being dropped.[/QUOTE]

Yep that's what I was about to say hehe...no gold label here...

Also the servers will pulled TODAY (so maybe no coincidence)

And yes I agree with that those games should have been 400 MSP in the first place..hopefully they will drop to 200 when on sale again...so I finally will buy them all (own 2 games atm)

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']

There's no guarantee, so just try out the demo to see if it's the same for you.[/QUOTE]

I would rather get it on the PS3 anyway for the cheaper bundle price so I won't even risk the 360 version if the brightness might be an issue. Once again. thanks for the warning.

[quote name='airco']
As an aside, I was finally able to purchase Force. I tried setting up an HK VPN on my PC, and then it let me buy it no problem. It's downloading to my 360 with no trouble now, even though that's not on the VPN. Either way, it's a good application of Bing points, I'd say.[/QUOTE]
Good to know I can still buy it. Will try setting up a VPN when I get home tonight.

Too bad the Awesomenauts dev is struggling. IF it releases this week on XBLA I guess I'm buying it day 1. Not going to risk not being able to buy it later when I to save $5 when I already know the dev is in trouble.

I had my NBA Jam save corrupt randomly when I played the disc version and I haven't been back since. I would like to finish it but I'd have to start all over again and that's a real tough sell. I'll pick up the XBLA edition when it's 600msp or less.

[quote name='tylerh1701']Ya, this version of NBA Jam is really awesome. $10 is a steal for it. There were some mentions of it crashing on the new slim 360s though, so maybe Google that a little bit if you have a slim.[/QUOTE]

Just as a reference, I have the Gears slim and it freezes at the title screen about half the time. Super annoying. Cannot figure out why it hasn't been fixed yet.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Yeah, because it's great being called a fanboy for pointing out this legitimate issue. The thing is that there were two people telling me that it was my TV with no attempt to help before a third popped up to finally give some details, which comes off as snarkiness to me and usually calls for snarkiness in return. [/QUOTE]

Actually, it was your TV that was called a fanboy... Not sure how anyone could take that comment with an ounce of seriousness, but... Well, you did.

So, this weird problem aside, and as much as I respect and admire the work you do on this forum I cannot help but view you as being a jerk on this... and your own comments pretty much confirm this and... well, I'm sorry to see that.

[quote name='darrenaero']Just as a reference, I have the Gears slim and it freezes at the title screen about half the time. Super annoying. Cannot figure out why it hasn't been fixed yet.[/QUOTE]

I have a different slim but same problem... though on my once it locks up its done. I have to either delete my save data (which I did once because I had only played with friends online) or clear the cache. (I learned of this option buy contact EA costumer service)

Anyhow, real annoying and I'm pretty much done playing the game because even though there’s an 'easy' fix its just real freaking annoying to have happen... (again, and again.)

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']The developer is fine. It's the publisher that's having a problem, which may or may not affect the game's release.[/QUOTE]

I see. That makes quite a bit of potential difference now doesn't it? Might just wait on it after all then since I am getting it free anyway on PSN (assuming it releases at all, of course). I'm a bit less concerned over a publisher's survivability than a developer. If the game doesn't release it could always come out through another publisher if a new deal is struck.

[quote name='KRONUS EGGPLANT']IGN gave Fable Heroes a 5.0[/QUOTE]

That's terribly disappointing to hear. Been really looking forward to it. Have to play the demo and find out if it's right for me.

[quote name='INMATEofARKHAM']Actually, it was your TV that was called a fanboy... Not sure how anyone could take that comment with an ounce of seriousness, but... Well, you did.

So, this weird problem aside, and as much as I respect and admire the work you do on this forum I cannot help but view you as being a jerk on this... and your own comments pretty much confirm this and... well, I'm sorry to see that.[/QUOTE]
The thing is that I wasn't posting this stuff to ask for any help, but Alien Spider was the only person here who didn't blame the TV and actually offered some constructive help. You and Infamy just blamed the TV with nothing to back it up. If you weren't intentionally being snarky, then I aplogize, but that's not how it read to me considering the lack of help or explanation that you offered for what you were suggesting.

I'm sure that it's not my TV that's the issue, so I wasn't looking to spend today running through all of the ideas that Alien Spider can think of that could cause only this one game to be like this when everything else on the same system and other systems on the same TV are perfectly fine. I'd be okay with humoring you guys if that's what it takes to convince you guys that it's the game that has the problem and not the person or the set-up.

Nowhere did I suggest that this was an issue that affected 100% of users, so there's no need for anybody here to be defensive about it and make sure to note that their version doesn't suffer the same thing. It does however affect a few people, so it's something that Telltale should look into and attempt to fix because it is a serous, detrimental issue to this version of the game for me. It's not enjoyable to play a game with darkness issues that takes place in the dark areas a good 60% of the time that ruins a lot of the atmosphere and enjoyment that I could've had. I wanted to relay my experience so everybody here could be more informed and try out the demo to see if it also affects them.

[quote name='Antarael Dulacre']Yep that's what I was about to say hehe...no gold label here...

Also the servers will pulled TODAY (so maybe no coincidence)

And yes I agree with that those games should have been 400 MSP in the first place..hopefully they will drop to 200 when on sale again...so I finally will buy them all (own 2 games atm)[/QUOTE]

I knew it was coming soon, but didn't know it was today, but I guess that makes sense, as it's the last day of April.

I was able to get a copy of the full game on PSN, so it came with all of them. I've had fun with Sorry and Battleship and Connect 4, they're really not bad games. But $10 a pop was ludicrous.

[quote name='Chrono Gear']Too bad the Awesomenauts dev is struggling. IF it releases this week on XBLA I guess I'm buying it day 1. Not going to risk not being able to buy it later when I to save $5 when I already know the dev is in trouble.[/QUOTE]

As Frisky mentioned, it's the publisher not the dev who filed British bankruptcy. However, who the hell knows what the contract between the pub and dev looks like, so I think it probably is a wise decision to scoop up right away if it's something you're interested in. It being reasonably priced at $10 and looking like a real good game are other reasons to get it day 1 as well.

EDIT: From what you posted before I finished mine, if you have PS+ just get it there.

[quote name='KRONUS EGGPLANT']IGN gave Fable Heroes a 5.0

so, like always I will try the demo[/QUOTE]

Ouch. It looked like it had the potential to be real good (like Scott Pilgrim) or real bad (like a lot of other beat-em-ups on XBLA).

Update on VOF. Apparently when my download completed, my Xbox decided to tell me that no, it could not in fact download this game that it had just downloaded for me. So I followed what this guy said to do and redownloaded 99% of it normally, and the last 1% through VPN. So that downloaded fine, but when I reconnected my Xbox to good ol' Murrican internet and signed on to my main account, I noticed the game wasn't in my Games list. I found it sitting on my Hard Drive in the Storage menu, but I couldn't play it. So I tried moving it to my USB stick and, lo and behold, it works perfectly.

I hate region locks. On the bright side, this game looks pretty as hell, even if it'll take some time to translate enough of the tutorials for me to get anywhere.

[quote name='Chrono Gear']I see. That makes quite a bit of potential difference now doesn't it? Might just wait on it after all then since I am getting it free anyway on PSN (assuming it releases at all, of course). I'm a bit less concerned over a publisher's survivability than a developer. If the game doesn't release it could always come out through another publisher if a new deal is struck.[/QUOTE]
That would depend on the contract they signed. As long as they didn't give up the rights to the game, they could definitely work out another deal should the worst happen to the publisher. Sony's still staying that it's coming out on PSN, so I'd expect the same to be true for the XBLA version unless MS says otherwise.

Re: NBA Jame: OFE, I have never had a problem with the savegame going corrupt. Nor had I heard from anyone else that there's a problem. From the sounds in this thread, it's a problem limited to certain hardware. I'm still rocking an old, white Arcade 360 with an add-on HD though and had no problems with the game ever. Was looking over my game stats earlier and I'm putting 25-30 hours/mo. into just that one game over the last 3-4 months since i got it.

Seriously, considering some of the truly terrible non-free games I've seen people defend the merits of on here, the sale price for Jam makes it pretty much a must-purchase. If you don't like sports sims, then good, it's not a sports sim. It's action/arcade wrapped in a sports theme. And if you're a fan of sports (especially the 80's/90's NBA) good lord the legends you can unlock are a huge treat. If unlocking Pippen to play with D. Rose, or Magic to play with Kobe, or unlock Shaq to play alongside Howard interest you... you're probably gonna' love Jam.

And if you love the idea of a raptor dunking an on-fire ball over VP Biden ... well, of course you freaking do. Who doesn't?

BTW, if any of you *do* have active savegame problems with it... have you tried saving it to the cloud instead of your local HD?

So second bad game in this promotion? Oh Microsoft. :lol:

Glad there is Trials EVO.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']The thing is that I wasn't posting this stuff to ask for any help, but Alien Spider was the only person here who didn't blame the TV and actually offered some constructive help. You and Infamy just blamed the TV with nothing to back it up. If you weren't intentionally being snarky, then I aplogize, but that's not how it read to me considering the lack of help or explanation that you offered for what you were suggesting.

I'm sure that it's not my TV that's the issue, so I wasn't looking to spend today running through all of the ideas that Alien Spider can think of that could cause only this one game to be like this when everything else on the same system and other systems on the same TV are perfectly fine. I'd be okay with humoring you guys if that's what it takes to convince you guys that it's the game that has the problem and not the person or the set-up.[/QUOTE]

It's cool man, I just wanted to help if I could. From a personal perspective I had a weird audio issue when I first got my original Xbox 360 with the Darkness (honestly no pun intended here!). The other couple games I had the sound was fine in the game, but on that game it was way too low, no matter what in game setting changes I did or how loud I turned the TV up. I finally started playing around in the audio settings on the Xbox itself until I flipped the magical "fix" switch, and it and all my other games sounded perfect from then on.

I'm not saying that's what is going on here with you, I am just explaining why I am all about troubleshooting these things and offered some tips. If you went through those and are still having issues then we'll have to wait for an in-game fix or something. :whistle2:(

Exactly.

After reading the article I see that there are some small flaws here and there but it seems like the biggest gripe were about the presence of Mario Party-Esque mini games that have been done before. Considering that I havent played Mario Party since 2 or 3, I am still super excited. I was planning on getting this for me and my seven year old. So it sounds perfect for me.

[quote name='BFBB Delicious']Still no word on tomorrows deal? Doesn't Major Nelson usually post what the next two weeks will be by now?[/QUOTE]

Typically, it's not until 10 AM EST on the Tuesday. So the current week's deal will already be up.

[quote name='Sath666']So second bad game in this promotion? Oh Microsoft. :lol:

Glad there is Trials EVO.[/QUOTE]

I hope Minecraft 360 isn't the 3rd bad one.

[quote name='crunchewy']I hope Minecraft 360 isn't the 3rd bad one.[/QUOTE]

It's not. At least pc version is massive success. Let's hope 360 port is good.

[quote name='BFBB Delicious']Still no word on tomorrows deal? Doesn't Major Nelson usually post what the next two weeks will be by now?[/QUOTE]

No.

[quote name='Narsis84']After reading the article I see that there are some small flaws here and there but it seems like the biggest gripe were about the presence of Mario Party-Esque mini games that have been done before. Considering that I havent played Mario Party since 2 or 3, I am still super excited. I was planning on getting this for me and my seven year old. So it sounds perfect for me.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, to me the review didn't sound like it deserved a 5. Obviously subjective scoring scales are inherintely flawed and totally based on personal opinion, but the review actually piqued my interest about a couple things, and I'm definitely still thinking I will enjoy it, especially if I can pick it up for 400msp in 3-6 months.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']The thing is that I wasn't posting this stuff to ask for any help, but Alien Spider was the only person here who didn't blame the TV and actually offered some constructive help. You and Infamy just blamed the TV with nothing to back it up.[/quote]

Actually, I think you should go read my post again... I certainly wasn't sharky, I even went so far to apologized for my suggestions when I later saw that they had already been addressed... All before you posted.

Hell, my post even shows that I went to the tale tell forums looking for others dealing with the problem (and a solution) for it... So, yeah, I certainly didn't blame the TV and leave it at that... and while my suggestion(s) didn't fix the problem I'm certain that my post(s) didn't qualify as nonconstructive.

Anyhow, I'm now done with this... I really see no reason not to put you on my ignore list... (Scary, consider all you do.) Enjoy my ignore list and tell Gargus I said hi.

[quote name='INMATEofARKHAM']Actually, I think you should go read my post again... I certainly wasn't sharky, I even went so far to apologized for my suggestions when I later saw that they had already been addressed... All before you posted.

Hell, my post even shows that I went to the tale tell forums looking for others dealing with the problem (and a solution) for it... So, yeah, I certainly didn't blame the TV and leave it at that... and while my suggestion(s) didn't fix the problem I'm certain that my post(s) didn't qualify as nonconstructive.

Anyhow, I'm now done with this... I really see no reason not to put you on my ignore list... (Scary, consider all you do.) Enjoy my ignore list and tell Gargus I said hi.[/QUOTE]
Then I missed that since I went to bed afterwards, though it would've been nice to see you respond to let me know that you saw it than wait until now to point that out.

Though it is nice that you call me names and put me on your ignore list. I guess I'll do the same so we will never have to speak again. Goodbye.

[quote name='Primis']Re: NBA Jame: OFE, I have never had a problem with the savegame going corrupt. Nor had I heard from anyone else that there's a problem. From the sounds in this thread, it's a problem limited to certain hardware. I'm still rocking an old, white Arcade 360 with an add-on HD though and had no problems with the game ever. Was looking over my game stats earlier and I'm putting 25-30 hours/mo. into just that one game over the last 3-4 months since i got it.[/quote]

There's a few threads about it over on the EA official forum and I'm sure Google would likely link to more... but you might be on to something. One of my coworkers plays it all the time on a fatty system and he's known for being really hard on his accessories/system/games.

[quote name='Primis']Seriously, considering some of the truly terrible non-free games I've seen people defend the merits of on here, the sale price for Jam makes it pretty much a must-purchase.[/quote]

No disagreement here. I love the game. I just wish it loved me more. (and had a create a player like the old classic like NBA on NBC and Hang Time.)

[quote name='Primis']BTW, if any of you *do* have active save game problems with it... have you tried saving it to the cloud instead of your local HD?[/QUOTE]
I have not. I rarely use my cloud.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I've got an extra Ghost Recon Future Soldier beta code if somebody here wants it.[/QUOTE]

do you think I can have it?

Alright, I'm going to go pull the trigger on NBAJ:OFE.
Primis' praise added to my earlier purchase sentiments.

(Especially since Primis is also rockin' a white fat one).:lol:

[quote name='billydeewilliams']damn ineeded that ghost recon beta :([/QUOTE]

I got an invite to get the code several weeks ago, but was not interested. I'll check it out later tonight. If It' still available you can have it.

[quote name='sicsonic']So Awesomenauts is STILL ON PLAN TO RELEASE THIS WEEK!

Yay!![/QUOTE]

Conisdering Fable Heroes is looking like a bust, I'm definitely interested in giving it a look see.

[quote name='tylerh1701']No.

Yeah, to me the review didn't sound like it deserved a 5. Obviously subjective scoring scales are inherintely flawed and totally based on personal opinion, but the review actually piqued my interest about a couple things, and I'm definitely still thinking I will enjoy it, especially if I can pick it up for 400msp in 3-6 months.[/QUOTE]

I read a few more reviews. It sounds like a solid mindless brawler. I still can't wait.

I also saw the Destructoid review but I haven't read a review there since they gave Bastion a 65 out of 100. At that point I just felt they sometimes drop bombs for page views. Bastion wasn't the best game ever but I don't know how you can consider it less than great. Not trying to start a shit fest, too much of that lately.

I'm putting my heart on an iron brigade sale.

Man, IGN's review of Fable Heroes was harsh. I was all gung-ho to buy this one as I'm a big Fable fan. I even got my 6 year old daughter asking when it was coming out. I'll definitely have to try the demo first.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']Man, IGN's review of Fable Heroes was harsh. I was all gung-ho to buy this one as I'm a big Fable fan. I even got my 6 year old daughter asking when it was coming out. I'll definitely have to try the demo first.[/QUOTE]

I just played it for about 90 minutes. You know how in a brawler like Scott Pilgrim when you start a new character after maxing out another and they feel very slow and underpowered, even though the game seemed fine when you started your first character? This game starts out feeling very, very sluggish. The run speed is painfully slow and the stronger attack isn't even worth doing it's so slow. After getting a movement speed upgrade about 45 minutes in my character finally ran around at a respectable rate. Unlocks are somewhat random so I wasn't able to increase my attack speed yet. Actually, lots of things in the game feel slow. The menus load slowly slow, walking around in the level select is slow, the post-level upgrade screen/minigame is really slow.

It's kind of a bummer. I'm sure that by the time you max out your character they're much more fun to play with, but it should start out fun and get more fun, not finally get fun after a couple of hours. I also noticed that the ranged AI characters were picking up a lot less gold to buy later upgrades with than the melee AI character. That's not surprising when you consider that enemies drop gold next to where they fall. It seems like an odd design choice considering that each player keeps their gold rather than splitting the pot at the end. It may just be the way they're programmed to only get gold after finished fighting. It won't change that melee players are still going to be physically closer to it though.

The levels aren't terribly interesting either and there's often a lot of downtime between encounters. The encouragement for playing through them multiple times seems to be getting more gold as you level up and can collect more as well as most having a binary choice near the end that some people will want to follow through on.

There's a lot that I didn't see yet and I'm sure that the game is better with a friend or three, but nothing that I saw makes me think it'll be really good. This doesn't seem like a game that anyone would talk about on release if it didn't have the Fable license. There does seem to be a spot where you can trade gold with Fable: The Journey, so maybe this started as just a tie-in game. It is better than Pub Games....

See, to me, that last statement means a lot because I loved Pub Games. I think I'm the only person in the world that can say they "loved" Pub Games. I'm a sucker for Lionhead, so I'm sure I'll buy Heroes eventually. Especially if it ties to Journey. I understand you can only unlock Gabriel by buying Journey, which seems kind of odd since that game is months away.

[quote name='airco']Update on VOF. Apparently when my download completed, my Xbox decided to tell me that no, it could not in fact download this game that it had just downloaded for me. So I followed what this guy said to do and redownloaded 99% of it normally, and the last 1% through VPN. So that downloaded fine, but when I reconnected my Xbox to good ol' Murrican internet and signed on to my main account, I noticed the game wasn't in my Games list. I found it sitting on my Hard Drive in the Storage menu, but I couldn't play it. So I tried moving it to my USB stick and, lo and behold, it works perfectly.

I hate region locks. On the bright side, this game looks pretty as hell, even if it'll take some time to translate enough of the tutorials for me to get anywhere.[/QUOTE]

Which IP did you connect to? I can't connect to any of their HK IPs.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']Man, IGN's review of Fable Heroes was harsh. I was all gung-ho to buy this one as I'm a big Fable fan. I even got my 6 year old daughter asking when it was coming out. I'll definitely have to try the demo first.[/QUOTE]

I tried this out at PAX East and I can honestly say that it was not very good. Controls were really wonky and the background was very distracting. A lot of times, I could not keep an eye on my character in a multiplayer session. The graphics are average at best. Definitely try the demo. It wasn't for me (if you couldn't already tell!). I was hoping this was going to be better and in a party environment, but I would definitely not pay more than 400 for this.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']See, to me, that last statement means a lot because I loved Pub Games. I think I'm the only person in the world that can say they "loved" Pub Games. I'm a sucker for Lionhead, so I'm sure I'll buy Heroes eventually. Especially if it ties to Journey. I understand you can only unlock Gabriel by buying Journey, which seems kind of odd since that game is months away.[/QUOTE]

I didn't have a problem with the games contained in Pub Games, just that they wanted $10 for something that you could do inside of the retail game. As a companion to the game and a pre-order bonus I thought it was a good idea.

There seemed to be a few characters that were only unlockable if you have Fable The Journey. I don't think it said names, just showed silhouettes of them.

And I just played a bit of multiplayer. It was more fun with another human, but nothing significant. After playing 3 or 4 bosses now I can say despite them all looking different, fighting them is basically the same. My character unlocks seemed to carry over, but not my gold. I joined midway through a boss fight and collected about 1/30th of what I would have earned from the whole level, so I just had to sit there for 4 minutes during the upgrade screen while the host did his character and the two AI characters. I also didn't seem to be able to change my character. As far as I can tell you'd need to ask the host to go to the character select area to change. I didn't have a mic unfortunately.

I do think that the game uses the Fable license pretty well. The enemies and characters are all very familiar to anyone who played Fable 3 and Bowerstone looks like its old self.

[quote name='Chrono Gear']Which IP did you connect to? I can't connect to any of their HK IPs.[/QUOTE]

http://s1.wepn.info/

They have a tutorial that shows you how to actually set up a VPN, too. The way I physically set it up was similar to this, where I connected the Xbox via Ethernet to my laptop, and had my laptop connect wirelessly to my router.

People on twitter are saying that the new paid DLC for SSX has accidentally been made free via the in game menu. It's not on the dash or xbox.com. Check it out, it will probably require money soonish.

edit: Also seeing different reports about partial downloads and some not being able to download at all. It may be fixed or in the process of being fixed now.

[quote name='Narsis84']I read a few more reviews. It sounds like a solid mindless brawler. I still can't wait.

I also saw the Destructoid review but I haven't read a review there since they gave Bastion a 65 out of 100. At that point I just felt they sometimes drop bombs for page views. Bastion wasn't the best game ever but I don't know how you can consider it less than great. Not trying to start a shit fest, too much of that lately.[/QUOTE]

While I also disagree with that Bastion review, that's not a great reason to stop reading the site. Each site is made up of multiple reviewers, each with their own likes and dislikes. You may disagree with the Bastion reviewer but agree with or enjoy the other reviewers' opinions. Taking it a step further, I don't know anyone with identical tastes to me, so I wouldn't even write somebody off if they hated a game that I loved. I would certainly be more dubious when they panned a game, but I think reviews are more useful for teaching you about games rather than whether they are good or not (since that's entirely subjective).

[quote name='bajingo']is force vastly different from ontario tanegrams or whatever the US one is called?[/QUOTE]

Virtual On Force is better in some ways and worse in others. Movement and turning is stupidly slow, and surely the result of the game's director having some silly ideas and too much control (a common problem in Japanese game design). But four player battles are pretty neat. You can sort of level up your character's attack and defense with randomly-dropped crystals, which is a decent mechanic and makes the game easier as you go along. There are a ton of challenges (short missions with specific objectives) to do so the single-player/split-screen co-op length is pretty good. The graphics and sound are classic VO, and pretty despite their simplicity. The Achievements are easy. It's definitely worth a buy for Virtual On fans, but probably wouldn't convert new players.

[quote name='airco']Supposedly, yes. Force was made slower to accommodate four players, while VOOT was made for super-fast one-on-one duels.

As an aside, I was finally able to purchase Force. I tried setting up an HK VPN on my PC, and then it let me buy it no problem. It's downloading to my 360 with no trouble now, even though that's not on the VPN. Either way, it's a good application of Bing points, I'd say.[/QUOTE]

Glad you figured out how to do that! I'll have to ask you for help so I can get some more VPN games. Sad that VOF now requires a VPN though.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']Yeah, because it's great being called a fanboy for pointing out this legitimate issue. The thing is that there were two people telling me that it was my TV with no attempt to help before a third popped up to finally give some details, which comes off as snarkiness to me and usually calls for snarkiness in return. [/QUOTE]

Maybe you were just having a bad day or something, but it really was an inappropriate reaction. We're all friends here, so let's not get pissy with each other.

[quote name='tylerh1701'] Obviously subjective scoring scales are inherently flawed and totally based on personal opinion.[/QUOTE]

So scoring scales that are based on subjective opinion are inherently flawed? How exactly did you arrive at that conclusion? Just because something is subjective doesn't automatically make it flawed, it just makes it subjective. Obviously there are such things as flawed opinions but opinions in general are not automatically flawed. If reviews or scoring scales were meant to be the definitive statement on such items then they would be inherently flawed but that is not the purpose of such scales. Reviews and scoring scales are nothing more than subjective guides.

As long as one looks at such scales or reviews in the proper manner....well, there is nothing inherently flawed about them. You may very well disagree with them but that doesn't make them inherently flawed after all, this is subjective opinion were talking about.

Anyways, I broke down and purchased Bloodforge and I have to say that I am rather enjoying it. The graphics aren't all that, the environments are rather small, there isn't a lot to explore, and the combat is relatively straight forward but for some reason, I am actually enjoying it. I don't think it should have been 1200 points but beyond that, I think its a fun game. I enjoy games like this from time to time, games you can just jump right into without any over complicated controls. Just a hack and slash with a basic story.

[quote name='ooga']I got an invite to get the code several weeks ago, but was not interested. I'll check it out later tonight. If It' still available you can have it.[/QUOTE]

I got him one sent. Anyone else? (I have like 3 more.)

[quote name='airco']http://s1.wepn.info/

They have a tutorial that shows you how to actually set up a VPN, too. The way I physically set it up was similar to this, where I connected the Xbox via Ethernet to my laptop, and had my laptop connect wirelessly to my router.[/QUOTE]

I've been at this all night and still can't get it to work. I don't have a laptop and no wifi in my PC. Tried connecting the Xbox wirelessly but it still stops at 99%. I just don't see why this is being such a pain. Region Free my fucking fuck!

[quote name='Narsis84']I'm putting my heart on an iron brigade sale.[/QUOTE]

Don't mean to be a pessimist, but I really don't think it's gonna happen during the Arcade NEXT promotion. On top of that, unless you have friends to play with or can find some randoms to go through the campaign with, I think you may be disappointed. I know I was with the single player offering.

[quote name='Righteous Nixon']So scoring scales that are based on subjective opinion are inherently flawed? How exactly did you arrive at that conclusion? Just because something is subjective doesn't automatically make it flawed, it just makes it subjective. Obviously there are such things as flawed opinions but opinions in general are not automatically flawed. If reviews or scoring scales were meant to be the definitive statement on such items then they would be inherently flawed but that is not the purpose of such scales. Reviews and scoring scales are nothing more than subjective guides.

As long as one looks at such scales or reviews in the proper manner....well, there is nothing inherently flawed about them. You may very well disagree with them but that doesn't make them inherently flawed after all, this is subjective opinion were talking about.

Anyways, I broke down and purchased Bloodforge and I have to say that I am rather enjoying it. The graphics aren't all that, the environments are rather small, there isn't a lot to explore, and the combat is relatively straight forward but for some reason, I am actually enjoying it. I don't think it should have been 1200 points but beyond that, I think its a fun game. I enjoy games like this from time to time, games you can just jump right into without any over complicated controls. Just a hack and slash with a basic story.[/QUOTE]

I only meant that, as you said, they're only inherently flawed as a tool to assign an absolute level of value to a game, because the value of a game is going to vary from person to person. I probably could have worded it better or explained myself a little bit better. I am very much in favor of game reviewers giving scores to games and that scores can be extremely useful when "looked at...in the proper manner".

[quote name='eastx']While I also disagree with that Bastion review, that's not a great reason to stop reading the site. Each site is made up of multiple reviewers, each with their own likes and dislikes. You may disagree with the Bastion reviewer but agree with or enjoy the other reviewers' opinions. Taking it a step further, I don't know anyone with identical tastes to me, so I wouldn't even write somebody off if they hated a game that I loved. I would certainly be more dubious when they panned a game, but I think reviews are more useful for teaching you about games rather than whether they are good or not (since that's entirely subjective).[/QUOTE]

Yes while each site is made up of multiple reviewers Destructoid is the only gaming site I know that has one reviewer (Jim Sterling) doing at least 90% of the reviews. Even after the reviews for Bastion (6.5/10), Assassin's Creed 2 (4.5/10) and the Witcher 2 (6/10) I continued reading because I like getting the opinions of multiple reviewers. But after that whole Mario Kart 7 review in which he gave it a (5/10) claiming that the game is one of the worst of the series because it's more of the same - while also giving Modern Warfare 3 receives a 9.5 praising it being more of the same. Haven't visited their site since.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back