XBL DotW Sales 2012 |- CLOSED

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='ChernobylCow']...Anyone else hoping there will be another free halloween table like there was last year with "Paranormal"?[/QUOTE]
I am, especially since I somehow didn't know about last year's giveaway and totally missed the boat on it. :wall:

[quote name='Jackie Chandler']Don't be silly. There's no such thing as a CAG who gets around to their backlog. :lol:[/QUOTE]

If I was the type to quote others' comments in my signature, this would definitely be deserving of it.

[quote name='KRONUS EGGPLANT']if only I had 400 more points I would get Stacking DLC & Swarm[/QUOTE]
Walk into your local GameStop, and you'll find rather than stocking a huge number of single-use DLC cards, they've begun to stock MS point cards in $5 increments, including:
Once they show up at other B&M retailers, this will make it simpler for me to get the precise amount to maximize savings during Fred Meyer's (aka Kroegers) stackable coupon events. :D

[quote name='Thrinn']Oblivion DLC has been on sale before, as recently as July.[/QUOTE]
But acquiring the 2nd disc in the GOTY editions of Oblivion, Fallout 3, or Fallout NV is far cheaper (and more convenient) than buying the DLC separately.

[quote name='Cornelius']Walk into your local GameStop, and you'll find rather than stocking a huge number of single-use DLC cards, they've begun to stock MS point cards in $5 increments, including:
Once they show up at other B&M retailers, this will make it simpler for me to get the precise amount to maximize savings during Fred Meyer's (aka Kroegers) stackable coupon events. :D[/QUOTE]

Those are especially great with an employee discount.:D

[quote name='Cornelius']Walk into your local GameStop, and you'll find rather than stocking a huge number of single-use DLC cards, they've begun to stock MS point cards in $5 increments, including:
Once they show up at other B&M retailers, this will make it simpler for me to get the precise amount to maximize savings during Fred Meyer's (aka Kroegers) stackable coupon events. :D[/QUOTE]

That's what I did last Night actually, I had 2 $5 off coupons So I bought 800 Microsoft points for $5 and Fallout 3 new vegas ultimate edition for $30. Since I have the extra points I may go ahead and snag up Keflings DLC but then again Im still haven't beat the last dlc they released. which i am half way through it and it's really fun. I read a review of the new one looks awesome a Candy Theme world and buildings to build is really cool.

On a different note does anybody know if there is a website or even here on CAG a list of all the game of the year editions/ ultimate editons / limited etc that would be great if so. cause majority of the time it's easier to wait to buy GOTY edition when it's reduced versus buying the content separate on xbox live... just an idea

[quote name='KRONUS EGGPLANT']

On a different note does anybody know if there is a website or even here on CAG a list of all the game of the year editions/ ultimate editons / limited etc that would be great if so. cause majority of the time it's easier to wait to buy GOTY edition when it's reduced versus buying the content separate on xbox live... just an idea[/QUOTE]

See if this helps. Posting from phone so I hope this link is right.

Fixed link, no idea why it removed the O, all i did was copy paste from android browser.

Hmm, using mobile site, I will try to figure out tomorrow why my links don't work. In the meantime if you want to just google it this is the title of the thread:

OFFICIAL GOTY/Complete/Ultimate/DLC Edition CompilationThread (Updated 10/6/12)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='chuckie88']^Getting a 404 on the link. That would be a helpful list though.[/QUOTE]

The link is, for whatever reason, lacking the O in "showthread" - there you go :)

I started playing a World of Keflings earlier today and I have to say it was very enjoyable. I'm looking forward to playing more of it later and probably getting the dlc.

I'm happy with all these sales lately, many great prices on a decent selection of games. I still have to pick up all the toy soldiers dlc as well as swarm and quarrel from the sales app

[quote name='seppuku']I was going to get just Toy Soldiers and Quarrel (already have Renegade Ops and Toy Soldiers Cold War), but now I may "splurge" and get Swarm too. :)[/QUOTE]
Swarm for $2.50 is an insane value. Don't let the price make you think it's indie-game'ish ... it's bargain-priced only because the publisher (UTV Ignition) has a curse of investing in "new & creative IP" that just doesn't pan out, and then Ignition dumps the game for bargain prices to keep sales numbers up. Remember that any review scores you find are assuming the game would cost $10 against other new XBLA releases, not for less then the cost of a (Starbucks) cup of coffee ... and isn't that the standard measure by which all things are valued? :D

All 3 of UTV's games ...
  • Quarrel: where "Scrabble" meets "Risk":
    screenlg3.jpg

-
  • Swarm: where "World of Goo" meets "real-time strategy":
    screenlg1.jpg

-
  • Mercury: where "Marble Blast Ultra" meets "still available on XBLA":
    screenlg1.jpg
... deserve to be purchased at a price less than similarly-polished mobile games. The latter of which would then subsequently bother you for IAP's, of course. :lol:

I picked up Swarm and Quarrel and I love them. For 200 points you can't go wrong. If you like word games Quarrel is pretty sweet, if you don't then you'll not want it. Swarm is really fun...It kind makes me think of Lemmings because you have a million (and by that I mean 50) little guys following you and they die...a lot. I was really surprised by how fun it was. You even get a little avatar swarm guy. These games are steals at 200 points.

If you like Eastern European first-person shooters, paranormal nuclear fallout, and desperately gasping for air, then you, friend, are in luck. That's if you don't already have Metro 2033, because THQ is cutting the 2010 cult hit down to half-price on Xbox Live, starting tomorrow. The publisher tells us the novel adaptation will be available on Games on Demand for $9.99 until Monday, October 22.

If you missed the recent Steam sale (or if you'd prefer the game on Xbox) then this isn't a bad consolation offer for a tense shooter we handed four out of five stars to. But for the love of Бог don't forget your gas mask.
http://www.joystiq.com/2012/10/15/metro-2033-price-cut-in-half-on-xbox-live-starting-tomorrow/

awesome! ive always been one of those "i will never abandon physical media" types, but these sales have my HD getting full. I played metro when it first came out, then got stuck in a spot in a bad save spawn where i would die everytime. excited to give it another go. this is lower than every retail price ive seen!

now, is it horror themed...

I've already played the game, but I'll pick it up again at 800 points without a shadow of a doubt. I loved the game and could go for another playthrough.

[quote name='Tsel']I've already played the game, but I'll pick it up again at 800 points without a shadow of a doubt. I loved the game and could go for another playthrough.[/QUOTE]

What are thoughts about this game compared to say, "Wolfenstein" ? I've been watching video reviews online, & people either hate it or love it. Most also talk about various problems / glitches throughout. Even the average review on Amazon is 3 out of 5 stars. I have to admit, I haven't followed the Metro franchise in the past, but my curiousity gets peaked when a game has a pretty good cut in price....sucks there's not a demo you can download & play first on the marketplace. Would hate to drop the 800pts starting tomorrow, only to find out I don't like it.
Thanks for any & all input in advance.

[quote name='Tarheel76']What are thoughts about this game compared to say, "Wolfenstein" ? I've been watching video reviews online, & people either hate it or love it. Most also talk about various problems / glitches throughout. Even the average review on Amazon is 3 out of 5 stars. I have to admit, I haven't followed the Metro franchise in the past, but my curiousity gets peaked when a game has a pretty good cut in price....sucks there's not a demo you can download & play first on the marketplace. Would hate to drop the 800pts starting tomorrow, only to find out I don't like it.
Thanks for any & all input in advance.[/QUOTE]

It's definitely a hate it or love it game. Here are a few things worth noting...it's not run and gun, the AI sucks, it can be a bit of a slow burn, the mask limits gameplay and makes the game pretty linear. Yes, there are glitches which can break the game. Having pointed out all of its warts I still think getting this game at $10 is a total steal. The story is compelling but the atmosphere is absolutely enthralling. I thoroughly enjoyed it.

[quote name='Sway']http://www.joystiq.com/2012/10/15/metro-2033-price-cut-in-half-on-xbox-live-starting-tomorrow/[/QUOTE]

Man, at these prices I will hop aboard the downloadable format train without hesitation. I already own Transfomers: War for Cybertron and Metro 2033 on disc, but if I didn't already have them, I would have picked them up for sure.

I don't mind not having my games on a physical disc just as long as they're priced accordingly. All we would need is an alternate location to purchase these from just like :pc: games can be bought from Amazon, Steam, Green Man Gaming, etc., and the competition would drive prices down.

Anyone know the new sales/DOTW for this week? On the fence with this week's salles so wondering whether to buy or hold on to points.

Thanks!

[quote name='Tarheel76']What are thoughts about this game compared to say, "Wolfenstein" ? I've been watching video reviews online, & people either hate it or love it. Most also talk about various problems / glitches throughout. Even the average review on Amazon is 3 out of 5 stars. I have to admit, I haven't followed the Metro franchise in the past, but my curiousity gets peaked when a game has a pretty good cut in price....sucks there's not a demo you can download & play first on the marketplace. Would hate to drop the 800pts starting tomorrow, only to find out I don't like it.
Thanks for any & all input in advance.[/QUOTE]

I've only ever played the demo of Wolfestein, but I wouldn't really compare them beyond the supernatural/FPS themes going on. I know a lot of people that didn't care for Metro, but I also know a lot that really enjoyed it. The gameplay has some kinks, but overall, I didn't encounter any gamebreaking glitches. The gameplay is stealth-based most of the time, with some shooting thrown in here and there. I mostly enjoyed it because of the atmosphere and story. There are far worse things to spend 800 MSP on.

[quote name='chooka1']Anyone know the new sales/DOTW for this week? On the fence with this week's salles so wondering whether to buy or hold on to points.

Thanks![/QUOTE]

If I only had a nickle....

Another week, and I find it difficult to refuse XBLA titles others on this thread recommend priced at 200MSP or less. The Sales and Specials + app added 3 more titles to the backlog (and believe me, I am working on it as much as I can). Double Fine has made quality titles I enjoyed and it's great their offerings are on sale again for those who missed them before. While I know Brütal Legend is an EA published title, the Double Fine sale could have included me if the DLC for that title went for a discount. However, the Psychonauts rights are returned to Double Fine, and that too would have made me consider double dipping for a digital copy in addition to a physical copy had it gotten the 50% off treatment from the Double Fine sale. It doesn't happen often enough, when a DLC add-on for a XBLA title goes on a discount, but at this time I am holding back the urge to purchase the Toy Soldier items because of where I am hung up on the first title (and my conclusion that they are not for me). The sooner the day ends, the more likely I will not purchase ^^. At least I still refuse the new and improved busy-work of World of Keflings from the original busy-work of Kingdom for (along with The Splatters and Renegade Ops) until they see the similar 200MSP or less pricepoint ^^.

[quote name='dirtyvu']gahhhh! worms is getting so complicated.

I just want a simple online multiplayer artillery game! how about the gorillas PC game from when I was a kid and you're throwing bananas at each other?

Or how about a new Scorched Earth? I could totally go for that![/QUOTE]

That is why I still wait on XBLA Death Tank to get a significant discount (not down to 800MSP from 1200MSP). Death Tank, if memory serves me, was a bonus game included with the Duke Nukem 3D port on the Sega Saturn (I am not sure, because I never had that game) and was the surprise quality portion in the package. EDIT: My information is slightly off, the 7-player Death Tank Zwei was included with Duke 3D and Death Tank was included with Sega Saturn's PowerSlave, wish I just looked it up on Wikipedia before I started typing -_-.

I loved Scorched Earth, from all the way back in the DOS days. I too could go for that as well. Perhaps somewhere on the Indie Channel there is an alternative which is similar, because that is not a bad idea and there were a few alternatives which appeared on computers back then too. Or that could just be wishful thinking, if only my programming skills were better and/or I get un-lazy, it sounds like a worthwhile project if it doesn't exist.

[quote name='Sway']I guess there was confusion as to which games were included in Darkstalkers Resurrection. It's actually going to be 2 and 3.

http://www.joystiq.com/2012/10/11/capcom-announces-darkstalkers-resurrection-at-nycc/[/QUOTE]

Yes! In my opinion, the Vampire series had the best stable of character designs in a Capcom game or it could be the concept which entices me. Although I am glad they chose the latter two titles in the series, because Vampire Hunter (Night Warriors) and Vampire Savior (Darkstalkers 3) have enough distinct differentiated elements in play mechanics between one another, but I seriously hope they don't just port the arcade code for the two games.

I hope they take the effort in combining the various editions of the two arcade titles and creating a definitive version, as they did with the Sega Saturn/Playstation/PSP versions of Vampire Savior [allowing Bulletta(B.B.Hood)/Lilith Aensland/Queen Bee to co-exist with Phobos(Huitzil)/Pyron/Donovan/Gallon(John Talbain) and the secret characters] but with arcade accurate gameplay. I also would like if there were options to choose things like character names (toggle between Aulbath/Rikuo and Zabel/Lord Raptor for example) along with choices to which color palette set for the stages amongst the various editions (Vampire Savior 2 and Vampire Hunter 2 to the Vampire Savior set of stages, even a choice between original Vampire to Vampire Hunter colored stages). Knowing how Street Fighter 3: Third Strike - Fight For the Future on XBLA was handled, I would suppose all the character color palettes and stage color palettes were just paid DLC, and that is why I am a bit disappointed that the base price is 1200MSP; similar to the overpricing of XBLA JoJo's Bizzare Adventure and Marvel Vs. Capcom Origins which makes me wait on a discounted price.

[quote name='Cornelius']But acquiring the 2nd disc in the GOTY editions of Oblivion, Fallout 3, or Fallout NV is far cheaper (and more convenient) than buying the DLC separately.[/QUOTE]

Exactly why I believe the DLC for those games see more sales more often on our dashboards -_-. I've seen this also done for Borderlands and Rockstar titles. Even Microsoft published series like Halo, Gears, Fable, and Forza has a greater likelihood. I expect to see Dead Island DLC see more sales in the future by the same logic. Granted the titles are popular, so the sales would appeal to a larger population. I wait on GOTY/complete editions all the time and I'm typically rewarded for my patience, yet sometimes it backfires as I am now caught to waiting on another Dragon Age 2 DLC sale and may choose to switch consoles to play the compilation set of Mass Effect series because of included DLC.

I am sure everyone else enjoyed redeeming their Bing points for a $5 amazon gift card, then applying the SQRLUVIO code to get $2 off a 400MSP code bought by the same gift card. It is like the joy of "watching this on my television, while hooked into my mobile device, which is being controlled by my tablet device, which is hooked into my oven, all while sitting in my refrigerator." That joy in savings, could go towards Metro 2033 at 800MSP tomorrow which matches up quite well with its corresponding DLC that was on sale a couple weeks ago. I hope more information is revealed about tomorrow's Deal of the Week and hopefully a nice side sale as well soon to make me a happy refrigerator-sitting CAG.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Lonedragon87']What do you guys think of swarm and quarrel pretty good games?[/QUOTE]
I haven't tried Swarm but I think Quarrel is pretty great. Obviously, if you have no interest in word games don't bother.
[quote name='Royal High Knight']...Is Metro a must have?[/QUOTE]
I hesitate to call Metro a must have but if you are the type of player who values atmosphere and story over controls and quick pacing it will be right up your alley. I enjoyed my playthrough and the overall feel of the game quite a bit. The sale price is excellent.

[quote name='Crono-00']That is why I still wait on XBLA Death Tank to get a significant discount (not down to 800MSP from 1200MSP). Death Tank, if memory serves me, was a bonus game included with the Duke Nukem 3D port on the Sega Saturn (I am not sure, because I never had that game) and was the surprise quality portion in the package.

I loved Scorched Earth, from all the way back in the DOS days. I too could go for that as well. Perhaps somewhere on the Indie Channel there is an alternative which is similar, because that is not a bad idea and there were a few alternatives which appeared on computers back then too. Or that could just be wishful thinking, if only my programming skills were better and/or I get un-lazy, it sounds like a worthwhile project if it doesn't exist.

[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I was curious about Death Tank because of all the great reviews but got sticker shock at the price. And it's hasn't been on sale in forever. Don't know what they're thinking.

in XBLIG, I've only found one good artillery game but it's only local multiplayer. I want online multiplayer. If anyone knows a good simple XBLIG one with online, please let me know!

[quote name='thenutman69321']My personal opinion about this thread (and also seems like most peoples opinion) is the OP should obviously stay completely on topic to deals but the thread itself it pretty much anything XBLA related goes. If everyone stayed on topic in here there would be a couple posts on Tuesdays but then the thread would die out, how we have it now it's actually worth visiting this thread every day for the discussions going on.[/QUOTE]

but then shouldn't this be in the Xbox 360 forum which is meant for daily conversations? You could even label the thread appropriately like "Xbox Live Arcade discussions".

[quote name='dirtyvu']but then shouldn't this be in the Xbox 360 forum which is meant for daily conversations? You could even label the thread appropriately like "Xbox Live Arcade discussions".[/QUOTE]
semantics.

why is everyone worried about trivial matters?

[quote name='dirtyvu']but then shouldn't this be in the Xbox 360 forum which is meant for daily conversations? You could even label the thread appropriately like "Xbox Live Arcade discussions".[/QUOTE]

did you know there's a magical button that allows you to create a new thread?

Metro will be mine tomorrow. Been really wanting to play it (even bought the DLC a couple weeks ago while on sale) but have been unable to locate a reasonably priced copy. 10 bucks is far cheaper then anything i've seen for the title. This will be my first GOD title purchased other then the titles that are only available on the service (Crysis, RE4, etc.)

I tried Metro a year or so ago but wasn't into it, but I know I would like it if I actually played more than 45 minutes of it, lol. It's my type of game. I will pick this up since it's so cheap...I'm definitely excited to give it another go.

Just beat Keflings. I Gotta say, I thoroughly enjoyed it considering it was a game I had no interest of prior. I Wish the DLC was on sale too though just so I can get more out of it.

any last second advice on toy soldiers? i'm leaning toward picking up the original over cold war. Mainly, I'm seeking advice on Kaiser Battle and Invasion.

[quote name='bardockkun']Just beat Keflings. I Gotta say, I thoroughly enjoyed it considering it was a game I had no interest of prior. I Wish the DLC was on sale too though just so I can get more out of it.[/QUOTE]

My thoughts exactly, hopefully the DLC goes on sale soon. Feel free to add me on XBL if you need the online achievement for Keflings.

[quote name='harry hood']any last second advice on toy soldiers? i'm leaning toward picking up the original over cold war. Mainly, I'm seeking advice on Kaiser Battle and Invasion.[/QUOTE]

Buy. Them. All.

Seriously though, if you don't want all of it, I'd start with the original. The original has about 25 campaign levels, and each DLC adds 3 more campaign levels. Honestly, the DLC is not essential, but for a Toy Soldier fanatic like me it was well worth 200msp for 3 more levels.

I would get Toy Soldiers and Toy Soldiers Cold War and just pass on all the DLC, if you have the points for that.

[quote name='tylerh1701']Buy. Them. All.

Seriously though, if you don't want all of it, I'd start with the original. The original has about 25 campaign levels, and each DLC adds 3 more campaign levels. Honestly, the DLC is not essential, but for a Toy Soldier fanatic like me it was well worth 200msp for 3 more levels.

I would get Toy Soldiers and Toy Soldiers Cold War and just pass on all the DLC, if you have the points for that.[/QUOTE]
I have 810 points. I was thinking of nabbing the original and its 2 dlc, and picking up the sequel/dlc whenever it goes in sale in the future, 6 months, 1 year, 2 years from now, doesn't matter. I don't need both, the wait in between would keep it fresh for me since I like to play lots of different games.

thanks though, youve given some good info on the game this week, but ive heard from mostly you, who has pledged his love for the game. I was interested in what some others thought. :)

[quote name='Lonedragon87']What do you guys think of swarm and quarrel pretty good games?[/QUOTE]
Swarm is the kind of game where the core gameplay idea is pretty cool, but the level design completely lets it down with mostly boring levels that all basically end with a bunch of explosions to decimate your swarm at the last moment. It only offers one or two really cool levels, which is a shame that the rest aren't up to that same level of quality.

Thanks to the swarm/quarrel discussion in this thread I tried the demos this afternoon. Swarm didn't do it for me but I happily paid the 200 for quarrel. I had never even heard of it until last night so thanks for being so chatty!

Does anyone think costume quest will get cheaper? I'm having a had time pulling the trigger but with the dlc on sale it's tempting.

Same thing goes for Toy Soldiers: Cold War, I didn't even have the first toy soldiers game, I'm picking that up during this sale so maybe I should wait on the sequel unless someone can convince me otherwise.

[quote name='exileinoblivion']Does anyone think costume quest will get cheaper? I'm having a had time pulling the trigger but with the dlc on sale it's tempting.

.[/QUOTE]

probably not

just get it, well worth 600 points and there is no better time to play it then october

[quote name='Barry Burton']probably not

just get it, well worth 600 points and there is no better time to play it then october[/QUOTE]

Yea, and even if it does get cheaper it will probably only be by 200 points. I think I will grab it. After playing the demo of Toy Soldiers I think I'll grab Cold War too, I had a blast with the demo and I can see wanting more after I play through the first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back