XBLA - Penny Arcade: Precipice of Darkness Episode 1 - 1600pts/ Episode 2 - 1200pts

[quote name='Razzuel']Shivering Isles is awesome and was worth the 30 dollars.

I don't want to equate hours to dollars but Shivering Isles was about 30-40 hours for me and Penny Arcade is supposed to be around six hours.[/quote]
That's not why I mentioned it. His distaste of the PA pricing was that it could change the pricing expectations of everything on XBL in the future, the GTA IV DLC specifically. Shivering Isles was more expensive and a much better comparison to affecting the price of the GTA IV DLC, that and nothing really changed after it came out. Nothing else has really been that expensive since then, so I doubt this changes much of anything besides being the first game that took advantage of the XBLA pricing and size increases.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']That's not why I mentioned it. His distaste of the PA pricing was that it could change the pricing expectations of everything on XBL in the future, the GTA IV DLC specifically. Shivering Isles was more expensive and a much better comparison to affecting the price of the GTA IV DLC, that and nothing really changed after it came out. Nothing else has really been that expensive since then, so I doubt this changes much of anything besides being the first game that took advantage of the XBLA pricing and size increases.[/quote]

Yeah I agree. That's probably the main reason I haven't bought Penny Arcade Episode One. If I buy it then I am telling Microsoft that I am fine with their new pricing scheme.

Doesn't help the game is 20 dollars for one episode.

Penny Arcade say hello to Sam and Max, because they are doing episodic games right.

Also to echo one of the few cagcast's I've listened to, I think the PA guys are failing to compare their product to other games. Sure it's a quality game but at the end of the day, is the three episodes comparable to a regular good $60 game?

Although I've heard it sold well according to the PA blog and I don't remember the demo explicitly saying that the game is only 1 episode so that may mislead people who buy it.

[quote name='foxdvd']Shivering Isles is a perfect game to compare Penny Arcade to.

30 bucks, 40 hours of game play, you can download or buy it so you could sell it again after you are done (and it REALLY holds its resale value) Current generation of graphics.

Penny Arcade, 60 bucks, 15 hours of game, no ability to resale, and last generation graphics.
[/QUOTE]

That's actually an unfair comparison for a couple of reasons. You see, Hothead is an indie developer, whereas Bethesda is a much larger developer. Thus we cannot expect comparable graphics between the two offerings. Actually, Penny Arcade's graphics are perfect for a game about Penny Arcade, and I find any complaints about them to be stupid. But anyway, like most indie games, Hothead and Penny Arcade felt that they needed to charge more for their software because they have less potential audience - less advertising power, etc.

Regardless of whether you dislike the idea of $20 XBLA titles, you continue to miss that Penny Arcade uses a standard indie PC game pricing structure. Indie PC games generally cost $20, period. Sometimes they might be longer than Precipice, sometimes shorter. Yes, Shivering Isles, even on PC offers a lot more content for the money, but it's still not an indie title.

Whether anybody does or doesn't feel like spending $20 on precipice, it's better if we all understand why they chose this pricing structure, and that it's by no means abberational - as far as PC software is concerned. Me, I spent $5 on the game and I'm happy... It's a shame that not everyone managed to get in on the deal.

Just finished, I loved every minute of this game. The writing was freaking brilliant. Has anyone read the descriptions for the Characters in the game? Some of them are fuking funny as hell.

Well worth the $20 price point for me.

[quote name='eastx']That's actually an unfair comparison for a couple of reasons. You see, Hothead is an indie developer, whereas Bethesda is a much larger developer. Thus we cannot expect comparable graphics between the two offerings.
[/quote]

Then don't charge the same price! That's not stupid.... Cost for the latest graphics is one of the reasons games cost 60 bucks for 15 hours of gameplay. IF you spent less on the graphics engine, and advertisement, and have less people working, then you make an even further argument that the game should cost less then Gears of Wars 2, or Fallout 3!!!!

The non or casual gamer who does not want to invest in a 500 dollar machine, or 300 video card, is your casual indie pc game customer. On the 360, 60 bucks for a 15 hour RPG better give you the latest graphics, and the ability to resale if for at least half that price you paid.

There are casual customers on the 360, my wife is one of them...and she is the one who bought those 19.99 low quality games for the PC....but for the most part the 360 has a more hard core gamer.

[quote name='foxdvd']Then don't charge the same price! That's not stupid.... Cost for the latest graphics is one of the reasons games cost 60 bucks for 15 hours of gameplay. IF you spent less on the graphics engine, and advertisement, and have less people working, then you make an even further argument that the game should cost less then Gears of Wars 2, or Fallout 3!!!![/QUOTE]

No, you see, because they are smaller, it's much more important to them to make a large profit. If they don't, one game failing to sell well could drive them out of business. Also, they don't save money on advertisement. They just can't afford to advertise, which means their potential number of customers is smaller, so they have to make more money from each customer in order to turn a profit.

I still would have gone with a $15 price point even knowing all that, but like I said, they decided to stick with PC pricing.

Also, your avatar sucks. Sorry. :(

[quote name='eastx']That's actually an unfair comparison for a couple of reasons. You see, Hothead is an indie developer, whereas Bethesda is a much larger developer. Thus we cannot expect comparable graphics between the two offerings. Actually, Penny Arcade's graphics are perfect for a game about Penny Arcade, and I find any complaints about them to be stupid. But anyway, like most indie games, Hothead and Penny Arcade felt that they needed to charge more for their software because they have less potential audience - less advertising power, etc.

Regardless of whether you dislike the idea of $20 XBLA titles, you continue to miss that Penny Arcade uses a standard indie PC game pricing structure. Indie PC games generally cost $20, period. Sometimes they might be longer than Precipice, sometimes shorter. Yes, Shivering Isles, even on PC offers a lot more content for the money, but it's still not an indie title.

Whether anybody does or doesn't feel like spending $20 on precipice, it's better if we all understand why they chose this pricing structure, and that it's by no means abberational - as far as PC software is concerned. Me, I spent $5 on the game and I'm happy... It's a shame that not everyone managed to get in on the deal.[/quote]

Like I said before Sam and Max is the perfect game to compare Penny Arcade to.

Each Sam and Max episode is 8.95 dollars. There are five episodes in a season. Each season is 34.95 dollars. You get about four to five hours out of each episode. Sam and Max has set the bar and Penny Arcade has failed to reach it.

[quote name='eastx']Regardless of whether you dislike the idea of $20 XBLA titles, you continue to miss that Penny Arcade uses a standard indie PC game pricing structure. Indie PC games generally cost $20, period.[/QUOTE]Except this is the 360 forum, so PC pricing comparisons aren't valid. Besides, if you're going to go the route of "PC games do that" you should compare to other episodic games on the PC. Like Sam and Max, which (as mentioned above) is a lot cheaper (and IMHO a better game).

[quote=eastx;4429644]

Also, your avatar sucks. Sorry. :( [/quote]

Thats me!!! :(

The cost of advertising, and latest graphics engines, and sound mixing, and employees is factored into the cost of a game, and this game has a smaller cost to produce then a game like Oblivion. My point was that you can not use that as a reason for charging as much, which the above post did.

I understand that they need to make money, but the price they picked was what they thought would get the most bang for their buck. I think they are wrong. It is a good looking game from what I can tell and the great reviews have helped its sales. If it was 10 bucks, it would break every sales record on XBL, not just come in third. The 20 dollar price point was picked because of the success of sites like reflexive, or Big Fish Games with games that can run on ANY computer.

[quote name='Razzuel']Like I said before Sam and Max is the perfect game to compare Penny Arcade to.

Each Sam and Max episode is 8.95 dollars. There are five episodes in a season. Each season is 34.95 dollars. You get about four to five hours out of each episode. Sam and Max has set the bar and Penny Arcade has failed to reach it.[/QUOTE]

The problem with this idea, is the price for Sam & Max reflects costs for Telltale studios to host the episodes on their own servers. It does not consider the costs of XBLA certification, qualification, or Microsoft hosting. Another issue, is we do not know how much Sam & Max will be for a console. They are slated to release for the Wii in August, and rumor has it that Season 1 will cost fifty dollars. The other issue to consider is that your main hub world for Sam & Max (the office) is essentially a fixed asset, and none of us can make the same statement for Penny Arcade, because we do not know. So making the comparison this early in the life cycle, seems a bit foolhardy.

[quote name='foxdvd']Shivering Isles is a perfect game to compare Penny Arcade to.

30 bucks, 40 hours of game play, you can download or buy it so you could sell it again after you are done (and it REALLY holds its resale value) Current generation of graphics.

Penny Arcade, 60 bucks, 15 hours of game, no ability to resale, and last generation graphics.

Of course, if you loved Penny Arcade, then it was worth the money.....[/QUOTE]

You are right, Shivering Isles is a good comparison but I do not think for the same reason you are thinking.

________________________________The Elder Scrolls IV: Shivering Isles __________Penny Arcade
DL Release Date ____________________March 26, 2007 (Resale = No)______May 21st, 2008 (Resale = No)

Physical Media Option_______________________Yes ________________________Yes

Disk Release Date_________________September 6, 2007 (Resale = Yes)_____ ???????? (Resale = Yes)

Now, I am not going to go into the fact that you feel the graphics are are last generation, but I will note that Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness runs at 1080p while Elder Scrolls only runs at 720p. Personally, I think you argument is more based on personal opinion of art style then it is on technical capability.

[quote name='dwhelan']The problem with this idea, is the price for Sam & Max reflects costs for Telltale studios to host the episodes on their own servers. It does not consider the costs of XBLA certification, qualification, or Microsoft hosting. Another issue, is we do not know how much Sam & Max will be for a console. They are slated to release for the Wii in August, and rumor has it that Season 1 will cost fifty dollars. The other issue to consider is that your main hub world for Sam & Max (the office) is essentially a fixed asset, and none of us can make the same statement for Penny Arcade, because we do not know. So making the comparison this early in the life cycle, seems a bit foolhardy.[/quote]

Penny Arcade is available on the PC as well. So then shouldn't it be cheaper than it's Xbox 360 counterpart using your reasoning.

If Sam and Max ends up being fifty dollars on the Wii I will be suprised since Sam and Max Season One was released for 30 dollars in retail on PC. The only difference I would assume there is going to be is wiimote control and that wouldn't justify a 20 dollar price increase. If Sam and Max on the Wii contains Season One and Two then fifty dollars would be a great price. Who knows since they haven't released any details on it.

Yeah the office is a fixed asset but that's because they are detectives. Penny Arcade had an office as well and that was where you went when you pressed Y. You are neglecting the fact that Sam and Max go to different locations as well. The office is just a hub.

Oh and Telltale just finished Season Two not too long ago, so I don't think it is too early to compare them. I think they perfect to compare right now.

[quote name='Razzuel']Penny Arcade is available on the PC as well. So then shouldn't it be cheaper than it's Xbox 360 counterpart using your reasoning.

If Sam and Max ends up being fifty dollars on the Wii I will be suprised since Sam and Max Season One was released for 30 dollars in retail on PC. The only difference I would assume there is going to be is wiimote control and that wouldn't justify a 20 dollar price increase. If Sam and Max on the Wii contains Season One and Two then fifty dollars would be a great price. Who knows since they haven't released any details on it.

Yeah the office is a fixed asset but that's because they are detectives. Penny Arcade had an office as well and that was where you went when you pressed Y. You are neglecting the fact that Sam and Max go to different locations as well. The office is just a hub.

Oh and Telltale just finished Season Two not too long ago, so I don't think it is too early to compare them. I think they perfect to compare right now.[/QUOTE]

Except you do not want to divide you market, you present a unified front, because the cost for entry on either is very low. The difference between a game like this and say Turok or Frontline, is that the system requirements are entry level#. A $600 dell or emachine will run this. That is not traditional in the PC games that are released along side full console games.

As for the costs coming to a console, there are many more then most people put into thought. First, it will be season one only, coming to the Wii * Second, while Nintendo's seal of approval has cheapened, it still costs money to get authorization to publish **. So yes, a cost of 50 is higher then most would like, but the cost is justifiable.

Also the office in Sam & Max is an interactive asset you need to travel too. At no point are you required to go to the office in Penny Arcade, because it is their menu system.

Finally, I am not saying that Telltale releasing season two is against it. I am saying that having one Penny-arcade episode, does not give us enough info for the comparison. None of us know if the next one will be the same price or cheaper. No one knows how many assets will be leveraged. I will be right with you being vocal is episode two is simply a re-skin of episode one, but I am will to give the chance first.

References
# http://www.playgreenhouse.com/game/HOTHG-000001-01/
*http://www.gamespot.com/news/6188738.html
** http://www.warioworld.com/apply/wii.html

[quote name='dwhelan']
Now, I am not going to go into the fact that you feel the graphics are are last generation, but I will note that Penny Arcade Adventures: On the Rain-Slick Precipice of Darkness runs at 1080p while Elder Scrolls only runs at 720p. Personally, I think you argument is more based on personal opinion of art style then it is on technical capability.[/quote]

LOL!

I can upconvert a dvd to 1080p, and it is not going to look as good as a HD DVD at 720p. If you are really going to tell me that the cost of the graphics engine is the same for the two games, then there is no reason to even talk further on this point.

[quote name='foxdvd']LOL!

I can upconvert a dvd to 1080p, and it is not going to look as good as a HD DVD at 720p. If you are really going to tell me that the cost of the graphics engine is the same for the two games, then there is no reason to even talk further on this point.[/QUOTE]

I definitely disagree on not furthering this point.

But, you are completely right, a DVD up converted to 1080P will look good, but not at good as a high def source at 720. But that analogy is a bit flawed for this argument, since the game is not caped at a 4:3 ratio, being that is started life a a PC game and is built at 16:9 for the 360 and 16:10 on the PC.

Now, I am confused why the cost of the graphics engine matters, when games like Crysis and Far Cry, beautiful games, that fail on story exist. Does a game have to be bleeding edge? If so, then neither Elder Scrolls nor PA are, since the last iteration of these engines was released over a years ago, not to mention what version these games are built on. Maybe that means that the Source Engine, running Half-life 2 Episode 1 & 2 are not worth it either, because they are last generation engines. Why does the cost of the engine factor into the quality of the game? I can write a PAC-MAN clone in hours, does that mean Pac-man CE is not worth it?

I will even argue that most of the greatest games of the last decade have not been run state of the art engines, does that reduce their greatness?

A few examples include:
Half-life - Quake 1 Engine
Grand Theft Auto - Renderware
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Gamebyro
Battlefield 1942 - Refractor Engine
Call of Duty - Quake 3 Engine

[quote name='dwhelan']

I will even argue that most of the greatest games of the last decade have not been run state of the art engines, does that reduce their greatness?

A few examples include:
Half-life - Quake 1 Engine
Grand Theft Auto - Renderware
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion - Gamebyro
Battlefield 1942 - Refractor Engine
Call of Duty - Quake 3 Engine [/quote]

If a game came out today with the Quake 1 Engine, then I would expect it to sell for a fraction of what a game using the Unreal 3 engine. Of course older games don't look as good. Penny Arcade is asking us to swallow 60 bucks for a complete 15 hour game today, not 2-3 years ago. Heck some of my favorite games of all time are the Baldur gate RPG's. I paid a good price for them back in the late 80's early 90's. If I bought them today I bet I could get them for 5 bucks.

I am NOT saying graphics are the most important thing….I am saying one of the reasons we pay such a high price has to do with that. You have to take the game as a whole, I understand that, but once again we fall back on the fact that if you want to play the complete Penny game, you will have paid 60 bucks for a 15 hour RPG that uses last generation graphics, that you can not resale. By breaking it up in parts, they will sell more then they would trying to push it on us as a 60 dollar game, by comparing the price structure to PC games.

The graphics was such a small part of my argument made as to why this game is not worth 20 bucks for 1/3 of it, and here I have made 3 posts to defend that one point. Once again I go back to my quote about the frog. Put a frog in hot water he jumps out, put him in cold water and heat it up slowly and he burns alive.

No way in hell this game gets the reviews it gets, and the praise it gets if it was priced 59.99 at your local Wal-Mart for an older looking, but still fun 15 hour RPG.

^^ Dude, your avatar and switching of the colors and fonts makes any point you have harder to defend. Would you seriously debate a clown? No.

[quote name='dwhelan']Except you do not want to divide you market, you present a unified front, because the cost for entry on either is very low. The difference between a game like this and say Turok or Frontline, is that the system requirements are entry level#. A $600 dell or emachine will run this. That is not traditional in the PC games that are released along side full console games.

As for the costs coming to a console, there are many more then most people put into thought. First, it will be season one only, coming to the Wii * Second, while Nintendo's seal of approval has cheapened, it still costs money to get authorization to publish **. So yes, a cost of 50 is higher then most would like, but the cost is justifiable.

Also the office in Sam & Max is an interactive asset you need to travel too. At no point are you required to go to the office in Penny Arcade, because it is their menu system.

Finally, I am not saying that Telltale releasing season two is against it. I am saying that having one Penny-arcade episode, does not give us enough info for the comparison. None of us know if the next one will be the same price or cheaper. No one knows how many assets will be leveraged. I will be right with you being vocal is episode two is simply a re-skin of episode one, but I am will to give the chance first.

References
# http://www.playgreenhouse.com/game/HOTHG-000001-01/
*http://www.gamespot.com/news/6188738.html
** http://www.warioworld.com/apply/wii.html[/quote]

Just so there is no confusion I am and have been being sincere. Hopefully I haven't been coming off as an ass or anything.

What about the Pop Cap games, they are 20 dollars on the PC and 10 on the Xbox 360. Jerry from Penny Arcade compared his game to Bejeweled when he was being interviewed by Major Nelson. Major Nelson asked Jerry if 20 dollars was the right price. Jerry said yeah I think it is because you know you can buy Bejeweled for 20 dollars and our game is a lot more substantial than Bejeweled. I don't know I just don't understand why they priced it at 20 dollars (I mean I do as in they know people will still buy it so why not sell it for as high as they can for profit, but why).

Okay I realize now that it is just Season One. I still don't think they should bump up the cost to 50 dollars, that is absurd. I guess the only reason it would cost 50 dollars now if whoever is publishing it for the Wii determines the price leaving Telltale out of it. But then why would they partner with that publisher.

I guess my point is that I think that Penny Arcade Episode One is priced wrong. I think Sam and Max is the better game and it is at an awesome price point.

[quote name='foxdvd']Penny Arcade is asking us to swallow 60 bucks for a complete 15 hour game today, not 2-3 years ago. [/QUOTE]

How about before we continue, you change the avatar. Maybe to something not horrible. I had to block the damn image.

Also, I don't know why you keep saying this 15-hour thing. The first episode of Penny Arcade is 5 hours at minimum, and more realistically, 6 or 7. There will be four episodes. So based on your "use of the minimum completion time" scale, which will always be a scale that gets you less value for your money in any game, the final game will be 20 hours at minimum. Also, nobody knows the cost of the future episodes, but I think they will be cheaper.

[quote name='eastx']How about before we continue, you change the avatar. Maybe to something not horrible. I had to block the damn image.

Also, I don't know why you keep saying this 15-hour thing. The first episode of Penny Arcade is 5 hours at minimum, and more realistically, 6 or 7. There will be four episodes. So based on your "use of the minimum completion time" scale, which will always be a scale that gets you less value for your money in any game, the final game will be 20 hours at minimum. Also, nobody knows the cost of the future episodes, but I think they will be cheaper.[/quote]

No offense to foxdvd but how do you block his avatar?!

I'm surprised I haven't already pierced my eyes with a pen.

[quote name='foxdvd']The graphics was such a small part of my argument made as to why this game is not worth 20 bucks for 1/3 of it, and here I have made 3 posts to defend that one point. Once again I go back to my quote about the frog. Put a frog in hot water he jumps out, put him in cold water and heat it up slowly and he burns alive.

No way in hell this game gets the reviews it gets, and the praise it gets if it was priced 59.99 at your local Wal-Mart for an older looking, but still fun 15 hour RPG. [/QUOTE]

Fox -- The reason I disagree with you is because you are making assumptions and if another uninformed CAG reads them, they would not get a balanced argument. I dislike seeing one sided arguments, so I play devils advocate. It just happens in this case, that I also happened to have enjoyed the game. At points I can reference what I am saying, at other I only have empircal evidence.

1) There are going to be 4 total episodes* and neither you nor I know what they are going to cost. If you can find me a single article that references the other episodes at 20 dollars a pop, then I will stop this point.

2) What is wrong with a 20 to 24 hour RPG, why do they need to be so epic, that people with other responsibilities will most likely never finish them. Mass Effect**, Chrono Trigger~,. Heck, there is a whole another topic thread, discussing shorter RPGs in the general gaming board.

3) The game engine should not matter, as long as the game is fun. While is might be a sin on the 360 boards, I will point at Boom Blox for an example. I had friends over last night to watch a bad movie (Adventure of Hercules - Lou Feririgno - watch it if you want something to laugh at). Anyway, they come over and watch me play a little, and laugh, oh what a simple looking game. but by the end of the night, I had four people, all for going PhDs in different fields, yelling and getting into this game, that is simply building blocks and baseballs.

*http://www.xbox360fanboy.com/2008/05/27/penny-arcade-adventures-third-best-xbla-launch-to-date/
**http://www.1up.com/do/newsStory?cId=3157186
~http://nostalgia.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrono_Trigger

[quote name='Razzuel']Just so there is no confusion I am and have been being sincere. Hopefully I haven't been coming off as an ass or anything.

What about the Pop Cap games, they are 20 dollars on the PC and 10 on the Xbox 360. Jerry from Penny Arcade compared his game to Bejeweled when he was being interviewed by Major Nelson. Major Nelson asked Jerry if 20 dollars was the right price. Jerry said yeah I think it is because you know you can buy Bejeweled for 20 dollars and our game is a lot more substantial than Bejeweled. I don't know I just don't understand why they priced it at 20 dollars (I mean I do as in they know people will still buy it so why not sell it for as high as they can for profit, but why).

Okay I realize now that it is just Season One. I still don't think they should bump up the cost to 50 dollars, that is absurd. I guess the only reason it would cost 50 dollars now if whoever is publishing it for the Wii determines the price leaving Telltale out of it. But then why would they partner with that publisher.

I guess my point is that I think that Penny Arcade Episode One is priced wrong. I think Sam and Max is the better game and it is at an awesome price point.[/QUOTE]

Razzuel, you are not coming off as an ass or anything, and I apologize if I gave you that impression. I also do not mean that Sam & Max is not great, I wanted to pick up the whole season but I am actually now waiting until the Wii collection, and then I will make my decision.

The reasons I can see, and I admit I have not helpped ship a game in over 3 years, would be coding, testing and production. They can't just say Wiimote = Mouse point and be done. The architectures are different, the resolution requirements are different. Heck, even the text size needs to be changed. All of these little changes, take time and that will add up. Then they should test all of those changes, get approval to publish, and go into production. That all takes time and money, so I do not think 50 is to much to ask for the full season. But that is my personal opinion.

What I hope, and this is all Tiny with no outside references, is that they treat this like the base and then each following pack is an expansion, not a standalone. So we are not taking up more space with the same infrastructure on the 360 harddrive, and they are reducing the cost. I would love the following episodes to be 10 a piece, I do not think that will happen. But it would be a nice surprise.

[quote name='dwhelan']Razzuel, you are not coming off as an ass or anything, and I apologize if I gave you that impression. I also do not mean that Sam & Max is not great, I wanted to pick up the whole season but I am actually now waiting until the Wii collection, and then I will make my decision.

The reasons I can see, and I admit I have not helpped ship a game in over 3 years, would be coding, testing and production. They can't just say Wiimote = Mouse point and be done. The architectures are different, the resolution requirements are different. Heck, even the text size needs to be changed. All of these little changes, take time and that will add up. Then they should test all of those changes, get approval to publish, and go into production. That all takes time and money, so I do not think 50 is to much to ask for the full season. But that is my personal opinion.

What I hope, and this is all Tiny with no outside references, is that they treat this like the base and then each following pack is an expansion, not a standalone. So we are not taking up more space with the same infrastructure on the 360 harddrive, and they are reducing the cost. I would love the following episodes to be 10 a piece, I do not think that will happen. But it would be a nice surprise.[/quote]

Oh no you never gave me that impression, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't coming off as an asshole.

I don't know how much work it takes to port Sam and Max to the Wii either but I think they would be doing themselves a disservice if they came out at a 50 dollar price point.

Yeah I think the subsequent episodes of Penny Arcade are going to be 20 dollars as well. They set the precedent and everyone agreed with it (as in it is third fastest selling arcade game in a 3 day window). I don't think the subsequent episodes are going to be smaller in size either because they can't assume you bought any of the previous ones and the size limit is now 350 MB for all arcade games.

I just wish Penny Arcade followed in the footsteps of Bionic Commando and Sam and Max.

There was a poll for how much would you pay for Bionic Commando and 15 dollars had the most votes but they still set it at a 10 dollar price point. They even released the soundtrack for the game for 10 bucks even though the developers said they would most likely see a loss.

4 episodes, so the total price will be 80 bucks? Hey I am in sales, what they did is brilliant.....

I hope I am wrong. I hope the episodes will be cheaper. 20 for the first, and 10 for each episode after would be 50 bucks for all 4 episodes (20 plus hours of gameplay) Still if they think they will sell 150,000 episodes at $20, and maybe 200,000 episodes at $10....they are going to keep it at $20.

The funny thing is I would prob. love the game.......I would not be on CAG if I did not want to find value in the things I buy. The stupid thing is I spend more then the cost of this game everyday for lunch. It was not long ago I would not pay more then 5 bucks for a case of coke, and now if I see 7 bucks I think it is a deal.

With all that, I still think people need to think about what they are getting for 20 bucks, and what high sales at 20 bucks is going to do for future games of this type.

Even if they drop the price to $10 for subsequent episodes, it puts the total at $50. That's an awful lot for something that can never be traded or sold. I mean you gotta really really love some PA to plop down $50 knowing that you can never recoup any of the cost. Screw the graphics and everything else. This comes down to cost and perceived value.

[quote name='depascal22']Even if they drop the price to $10 for subsequent episodes, it puts the total at $50. That's an awful lot for something that can never be traded or sold. I mean you gotta really really love some PA to plop down $50 knowing that you can never recoup any of the cost. Screw the graphics and everything else. This comes down to cost and perceived value.[/QUOTE]

Except that is only true with the DL content. PA has mentioned before the possibility of releasing all four episodes on physical media. It would equate to the same amount as the Elder Scrolls content available on XBL, so it is not ridiculous to assume that people will pay it. As for recouping costs, while I am a cheap ass, and love a deal, at the end of the day resale value is not on of the things I think about. But maybe I am different.

I also harp on the hours of play because I come from a time when RPGs should last 40-100 hours. The slow pace, and story building of RPG's tend to not take hold until the 20 hour mark for me. I also love shooters but I find it hard to play one past 15 hours unless it is online.

People said that Halo 3 was short...I felt it was long enough.

People said Oblivion was long, without the DLC I almost felt it was not long enough.

I actually liked Halo 3 about as much as I liked Oblivion.

I started RPG games, outside self made D&D games, before there were any graphics.

[quote name='dwhelan']Except that is only true with the DL content. PA has mentioned before the possibility of releasing all four episodes on physical media. It would equate to the same amount as the Elder Scrolls content available on XBL, so it is not ridiculous to assume that people will pay it. As for recouping costs, while I am a cheap ass, and love a deal, at the end of the day resale value is not on of the things I think about. But maybe I am different.[/quote]

I never consider resale value either. For some reason I feel attached to my games. I don't want to get rid of any of them.

Oh and foxdvd, I don't like Opeth but dear god that avatar is so much better for my mental stabili...I mean my eyes.

[quote name='dwhelan']Except that is only true with the DL content. PA has mentioned before the possibility of releasing all four episodes on physical media. .[/quote]
When they do that, and if it is about 40-50 bucks....and when a deal pops up for 39 bucks, or it is used for 20-30, then I will pick it up. Thanks for the heads up on that.....

[quote name='Razzuel']
Oh and foxdvd, I don't like Opeth but dear god that avatar is so much better for my mental stabili...I mean my eyes.[/quote]

lol no prob....

I'm not saying that resale value is the number one consideration. If I'm gonna pay full price for a game, it moves up my list of things to consider. I stopped getting attached to games when I started working and raising a family. I barely have time to play a game once much less put it on a shelf and let it sit there waiting to be played. So for me, resale value is a little more important. It allows me to play videogames without taking money out of my daughter's college fund.

[quote name='Razzuel']No offense to foxdvd but how do you block his avatar?!

I'm surprised I haven't already pierced my eyes with a pen.[/QUOTE]

Using Mozilla Firefox, download the AdBlock Plus Add-on. Then right click any image you want and choose "AdBlock Image". It's a great add-on - wish it could block Flash banners too. The Opera browser has an ad blocking feature built-in, too.

And yeah Fox, thanks for changing it. :)

I never consider resale value either, and I love downloadable games. Playing them from the 360's HDD is very convenient to me.

Im suprised they arent dropping the price of the first one to spark interest in the second one. I am just gonna wait on this until the inevitable sale. I am really just mildly interested in playing this unless they drop the price.

I have Braid much higher on my list when I get the time and I do have the points available.

Yeah I got it on launch. It's been fine so far, like how the enemies health bar both flashes and says block instead of just flashes like the old one. Variable difficulties and once you beat it you unlock insane mode, and there are chests that only open in that mode.

I knew there was something bothering me about this game, and I couldn't put my finger on it at first.. but just realized it now.

There is no more stage background music. So virtually, you're going through the levels, without any music, and barely any sound. Which, in my opinion, even though some of the music in the first got old quickly, it's better then having none. It's make some parts of this seem more boring and tedious then they should be.

I'm sure there is a way to turn music on though, but still, they should have kept that in from the first.

Otherwise, everything in this game, is done 100 times better then it was in the last game, and I'm loving it so-far.

bread's done
Back