Xbox 360 Game Install Sizes and Loading Times: 900+ games! (Celebrating 5+ years!)

[quote name='javeryh']Do you need the original disc in the Xbox to play off of the HD?[/quote]

Yes it wont run except right at first so that LIVE can verify you actually own the game still. Once it does that initial run up of the drive (I have heard it's like 2 seconds) that's it and then the system is whisper quiet.

It's probably smart on MS's part so that people don't borrow a friend's game and rip it to the HD but I was hoping to be able to do that...

[quote name='jaybird']

I was curious if it'd work so I tried the Compilation disk that came with my 360 Arcade - it's surprisingly huge at 5.9 GB, but does install.

It's gonna wreck the format of your list, but here it is in case you want to add it.

Xbox Live Arcade Compilation Disc (Pac-Man CE, Uno, Boom Boom Rocket, Feeding Frenzy, Luxor 2): 5.9 GB[/quote]

Did the installation insert all of the demos in your games list like the disc does?

[quote name='rodeojones903']MS needs to drop HD prices so I can snag a 120gb.[/quote]

i hear ya on that..im an early adopter of the premium and these would eat up any space i have left...meaning the rest of my tv episodes and what not would have to go.

[quote name='rodeojones903']MS needs to drop HD prices so I can snag a 120gb.[/quote]

and an easy way to transfer data from my 20GB.

[quote name='javeryh']and an easy way to transfer data from my 20GB.[/quote]

Request a free transfer kit from microsoft. Or borrow one from someone on here. I got a 60GB for 64.xx on ebay new

I'm glad to see this feature. I'll dump a few of my daily favorites on the HDD so I don't hear that jet engine of a DVD-ROM the entire game. UT3 is probably one of the worst for drive noise.

Check the Target Clearance thread. Some stores have them for $125.98 and may get a little cheaper.

[quote name='slickkill77']Request a free transfer kit from microsoft. Or borrow one from someone on here. I got a 60GB for 64.xx on ebay new[/quote]

OT: The problem is that the software may not work for certain drive sizes. The retail software from my 120 drive wouldn't work for someone who tried to do their 20 to 20 drive transfer. They would have had to but the correct software for $30.

Far Cry 2 : 4.5GB

Longest load times of any 360 game I have played.
I don't care though, it's an open world game.
Once you start playing, no load times.
Awesome graphics and gunfights.

So if DVD-5 (single-layer) is 4.7GB and DVD-9 (dual-layer) is 8.5GB.

Why is the maximum size apparently 6.8GB ?

Damn seems like near 7 gigs seems to be the majority. Looks like MS is going to have to start offering 500gig HDs very soon. Also, RPGS have pretty bad load times. Sucks for the multi-disc ones... I wonder about Eternal Sonata and Infinite Undiscovery.

Crackdown...........................[Not Supported]

[quote name='jp0213']Definitely odd that Crackdown wouldn't work. That is one of my more favorite games too.[/quote]

I'm suspicious that this has something to do with verification for the Halo 3 Beta. However, I have no evidence to back up my accusation.

~HotShotX

Here are some that I installed:

Infinite Undiscovery- 12.5gb (d1- 6.0, d2- 6.5)
Lost Odyssey- 23.2gb (d1- 5.8, d2- 5.2, d3- 6.3, d4-6.2)

Sorry, I don't know how the game behaves when you need to switch discs. But I am sure you still have to switch them out.

I've updated more from my post earlier. Buddy said he'd finish off the last 4 or so as soon as he can.

Finished the rest of the list I had. That's it from game collection for a while. I've done a self-imposed spending freeze on games so after Gears 2 on friday, the only new game I'm getting is Destroy All Humans! Path of the Furon.

[quote name='gordojones88']

Why is the maximum size apparently 6.8GB ?[/quote]
I believe Microsoft reserves part of the DVD for things like system updates and parts of the operating system.

[quote name='gordojones88']

Why is the maximum size apparently 6.8GB ?[/QUOTE]

Copy Protection microsoft cooked up. Wii games can go up to 8.5 gigs, but no 360 game can go over 6.8 gigs. PS3 games can use an entire BD25 or BD50.

looks like I may finally go get a larger drive... my HDD is filling up and I have less than 6.5 gigs available... hmm... that or I delete alot on my thing... it's mostly XBLA games though... damn 20 gig.

[quote name='lilboo']Hey this is my first time being back online in a few days, I was moving. :nottalking:[/quote]

Me too!
10iaz2t.gif

The average size seems to be around 6.5 GBs. I have a 120 GB HDD and even I'm concerned about HDD space. :cold:

If I can't get the last 120 GB HDD that's on clearance at my Target for under $80, I'm just going to delete a lot of shit off my 20 GB drive to barely squeeze Gears 2 onto it. I really want to do it for The Orange Box, Fable 2, Halo 3, Madden, Oblivion, GTA 4 and Rock Band 2 also, though.

I think 60GB is really all I need. The most I'll play is like 7 games at top daily. It's very doubtful that I'd want to try to squeeze every game I own into my hard drive. There are some games that I really don't care if it's installed or not. Yes, it's great if the disc drive runs softer and load times are faster, but if it's a game like Crackdown where I just want to pretty much fool around, I'd rather play it straight up than waste 5+ GB installing it. For me, I don't play more than like 7 games daily. Whenever I get on my 360, I really only play like 3 games or games that I'm devoted to playing for that time (for example Fable 2 if I get it). When I'm finished with the game, then delete! :D

6 Games
7GB Each
= 42 GB

Leaves 18GB free -- almost a 20GB HD! 6 Games available for me to install on a daily basis is awesome.

This'll be useful for making sure those "priced as new but clerk tested" games work fully before exchange periods expire if you don't plan on thoroughly playing the game immediately.

[quote name='Chronotrigga']I think 60GB is really all I need. The most I'll play is like 7 games at top daily. It's very doubtful that I'd want to try to squeeze every game I own into my hard drive. There are some games that I really don't care if it's installed or not. Yes, it's great if the disc drive runs softer and load times are faster, but if it's a game like Crackdown where I just want to pretty much fool around, I'd rather play it straight up than waste 5+ GB installing it. For me, I don't play more than like 7 games daily. Whenever I get on my 360, I really only play like 3 games or games that I'm devoted to playing for that time (for example Fable 2 if I get it). When I'm finished with the game, then delete! :D

6 Games
7GB Each
= 42 GB

Leaves 18GB free -- almost a 20GB HD! 6 Games available for me to install on a daily basis is awesome.[/quote]

Actually you have to take in account that like 5 or 6 gbs of that is reserved to the xbox OS, and what not. Like 20gb isn't 20 when you get it but just really 14 or almost after you get rid of those demos, and videos on it.

[quote name='von551']OUCH! 5-6GB just to save a few seconds? who's got the space for that BS? Pass...[/quote]
I you knew anything you would know that the game installs cut down on load times, AS WELL AS noise from the DVD drive spinning and more importantly, abuse to your DVD drive.

Noise reduction and preventing the DVD drive from killing itself are my main reasons for using the Game Install feature.

I can hardly wait until my 360 stops whining. :bouncy:

[quote name='SynGamer']I you knew anything you would know that the game installs cut down on load times, AS WELL AS noise from the DVD drive spinning and more importantly, abuse to your DVD drive.[/quote]

I would say that would also not abuse the gpu and cpu which is the main factor for these red rings I take it ?

[quote name='dabebop']I would say that would also not abuse the gpu and cpu which is the main factor for these red rings I take it ?[/quote]
Yes...because as we all know the DVD drive generates A LOT of heat. So with that no longer creating a lot of heat, the GPU should be able to operate under cooler conditions.

darn, i was hoping to install halo 3 or gears of war 2, but i didn't think it would be 6 gigs big. i only have like 4 gigs left.

Has anyone tried installing Xbox Live Arcade Unplugged Vol. 1? I'm curious if it basically works like all your other XBLA games when you install it to the HD. This is different than the Xbox Live Arcade Compilation disc that was included with Arcade consoles and that's already listed. I have the game, but I'm not in the NXE beta.

And thanks for this thread. It is very helpful since I plan on upgrading to a 120 GB HD during the holidays.

People don't understand how useful this is. Most DVD drives in 360 are crappy quality, so less use equals a longer life. So you have less noise, less "wear and tear" on the DVD drive, faster load times, and problems like cutscenes skipping and texture popping almost completely eliminated in most games. All for only a little HD space. Delete it once your done, and install another game. It really isn't that complicated.

[quote name='Cleaner7']Has anyone tried installing Xbox Live Arcade Unplugged Vol. 1? I'm curious if it basically works like all your other XBLA games when you install it to the HD. This is different than the Xbox Live Arcade Compilation disc that was included with Arcade consoles and that's already listed. I have the game, but I'm not in the NXE beta.

And thanks for this thread. It is very helpful since I plan on upgrading to a 120 GB HD during the holidays.[/QUOTE]

I would be surprised if it was any different than the pack-in arcade disk

I would love to do this, but my little 20 GB HDD has about 5 GB left. I know it's almost enough for one game, but I bounce from game to game so this doesn't really save me anything. Wish MS would have made it easy to use a different HDD ala the PS3.

Sadly no, since it will be $99 to get it plus headset, free 3 months of live and ethernet cables. It's just a package deal for people getting the arcade since they are pushing it out in commercials so everyone knows "It's just $199 now"

bread's done
Back