Xbox 360 Game Install Sizes and Loading Times: 900+ games! (Celebrating 5+ years!)

[quote name='DualDisorder']This is going to be a nice addition. Now just got to find a way to install a 500GB hard drive on my 360.[/quote]

And you'd be banned from Live in a heartbeat if you did that.

It just wouldn't recognize. The whole point of creating the custom 120GB drive is that the firmware that you have to install has the signature for the 120GB drive. You could install a 500GB drive in there, but the 360 will only recognize 120GB of it.

Can somebody confirm that you can boot Final Fantasy XI/PlayOnline Viewer without the disc now? I thought it was silly to begin with, as the whole thing is installed on the HDD anyway.

[quote name='KingBroly']And you'd be banned from Live in a heartbeat if you did that.[/QUOTE]

i am pretty sure that was a way of knocking the insane storage sizes needed to keep the game on the hard drive. if you have as many games as someone like me, 120 gb hard drive is no where near enough and i personally feel this is a waste considering you still have to have the disc in the drive. it wouldn't be a big deal if they made you verify you still had the disc every 3-5 days, even gameflying it wouldn't be worth it to do over and over again since it would check every few days.

[quote name='jp0213']Don't forget that the less the DVD drive is used the less heat the console will generate.[/QUOTE]

Can you go in depth about this? Last I mentioned this people facepalmed themselves and went on about how more heat is generated when reading off the hard drive consistently rather then the DVD drive.

Either way less noise is a good thing, and systems are a lot less prone to RROD (the falcons anyways) compared to older models. Especially launch units.

If anything is running in a console, it's guaranteed to give off some form of heat, either very little or a lot, but it will give off some.

[quote name='SynGamer']I you knew anything you would know that the game installs cut down on load times, AS WELL AS noise from the DVD drive spinning and more importantly, abuse to your DVD drive.[/quote]

wow, if YOU had any reading comprehension ability, you'd know by me saying "save a few seconds" was referring to faster load times. BFD! My modded XBOX does that and I don't have to run the disc in it. Dude, if you have a Pro, that's only 3-4 games you can put on your HDD, an elite would be about 20 games. Don't you need all that room for videos, game saves, XBLA games, etc.? I do, my elite is already half full. not worth it. the dvd drive noise? who cares it's for a couple seconds, then subsides and who isn't bumping surround sound to drown it out anyways?

[quote name='von551']wow, if YOU had any reading comprehension ability, you'd know by me saying "save a few seconds" was referring to faster load times. BFD! My modded XBOX does that and I don't have to run the disc in it. Dude, if you have a Pro, that's only 3-4 games you can put on your HDD, an elite would be about 20 games. Don't you need all that room for videos, game saves, XBLA games, etc.? I do, my elite is already half full. not worth it. the dvd drive noise? who cares it's for a couple seconds, then subsides and who isn't bumping surround sound to drown it out anyways?[/quote]
Less heat.

[quote name='von551']wow, if YOU had any reading comprehension ability, you'd know by me saying "save a few seconds" was referring to faster load times. BFD! My modded XBOX does that and I don't have to run the disc in it. Dude, if you have a Pro, that's only 3-4 games you can put on your HDD, an elite would be about 20 games. Don't you need all that room for videos, game saves, XBLA games, etc.? I do, my elite is already half full. not worth it. the dvd drive noise? who cares it's for a couple seconds, then subsides and who isn't bumping surround sound to drown it out anyways?[/quote]

Why are you complaining about a free feature you don't have to use, in a thread for a feature you won't use

Hmm. If I delete all the demos I don't play, I think I could fit Fallout 3 and Gears 2 when they come out...barely.

Last edited by a moderator:
glad i have the 120 gb drive. i'll be installing gtaiv, rock band 2, saints row. i'm wondering too why some games are not supported. good thread

Xbox Live Arcade Compilation Disc...[5.9GB] ???
there is no way in hell that it should be this big

seriously all the games on the disc:
boom boom rocket = 79MB
feeding frenzy = 31 MB
luxor 2 = 26 MB
pac man CE = 50 MB
Uno = 24 MB
Total = 210MB for full games

Trail Games & Demos
Frogger = 23 MB
Zuma = 26 MB
3d Ultra Minigolf = 44 MB
Marble Blast Ultra = 31 MB
Soltrio Solitaire = 30 MB
Total=154MB for trails

Surf's Up = 668 MB
Viva Pinata = 1005 MB

Game Videos & Videos
Shrek the THIRD Trailer < 1 min
Viva Pinata Trailer < 1 min
Welcome to 360 Video < 4 mins

Game installs are going to be great, the only problem i've ever had with my 360 was my old 360 drive kept freezing during gameplay, other than that no red rings, etc. with the install the only thing i was worried about is going to be gone out of my mind til the nextbox, finally i'll be able to put this 120GB HDD to use

[quote name='javeryh']How long until some hacker creates a "dummy" disc that fools the 360 into thinking the real deal is inside?[/QUOTE]

Not for a long time. They havent been able to hack the region lock on games. Also you're going to need a modded system, and you wont be going on live.

[quote name='KingBroly']And you'd be banned from Live in a heartbeat if you did that.[/quote]

I know, it's really stupid. Come on Microsoft we need to be able to use bigger HDD's. In this day and age 120GB of space is nothing.
We need to be able to use larger drives. They keep pimping out their marketplace content but our drives are too small to do
much with. Just think between the movies, tv shows, arcade games, and now full installs, 120GB is small potatoes. It's insane, unless
they just want us to buy multiple, way overpriced, drives of theirs.

Here are my games not in the main post. The two FFXI games are different released skus so I tossed them both on for laughs.

All Pro Football 2K8 - 5.0
BulletWitch - 5.2
Culdcept Saga - 5.2
Devil May Cry 4 - 6.7
DragonBall Z Burst Limit - 3.4
Dynasty Warriors 5 Empires - 4.0
Dynasty Warriors 6 - 6.8
Earth Defense Force 2017 - 3.4
Enchanted Arms - 6.7
Eternal Sonata - 6.8
Far Cry Instincts Predator - 4.9
Final Fantasy XI - 6.7
Final Fantasy XI Vana'diel Collection 2008 - 6.7
Guitar Hero III - 3.4
Guitar Hero Aerosmith - 4.5
Juiced 2 - 5.7
Kingdom Under Fire Circle of Doom - 4.3
Lost Planet Colonies Edition - 6.7
Moto GP 06 - 4.6
Naruto Rise of a Ninja - 5.3
Ninety Nine Nights - 5.6
Ridge Racer 6 - 6.5
Rock Band - 5.2
Rumble Roses XX - 4.5
Samurai Warriors 2 - 6.6
Samurai Warriors 2 Empires - 3.4
Sega Superstars Tennis - 3.4
Sonic the Hedgehog - 5.6
Spider-Man 3 - 3.7
Superman Returns - 3.4
Tales of Vesperia - 5.9
Virtua Fighter 5 - 4.7
Warriors Orochi - 6.4
Warriors Orochi 2 - 6.8
Wartech Senko no Ronde - 3.4
WWE Smackdown VS Raw 2007 - 6.8

I wish you could just buy any hard drive and use it. Hell, I'd pay $30 just for their shitty hard drive case just so I could spend $40 on a 180gb HDD and put that thing in there.

Next gen: Their peripheral-based system must go or I don't get one.

[quote name='AdvOfJet']Here's one I don't think is on the list yet.....

Space Chimps .... 3.4GB

I know this is the one everyone wanted :D[/quote]

Thank you! My life is now complete.

( ;) )

I just freed up enough space on my 20GB to install GOW2, man that 13GB available space out of the 20GB is pathetic now a days.

[quote name='Monsta Mack']Can you go in depth about this? Last I mentioned this people facepalmed themselves and went on about how more heat is generated when reading off the hard drive consistently rather then the DVD drive.

Either way less noise is a good thing, and systems are a lot less prone to RROD (the falcons anyways) compared to older models. Especially launch units.[/quote]

I don't know what those people are talking about. I just played for a couple hours and the air coming out of the system was barely warm.

Has anyone tried the XBLA Unplugged Vol.1 yet? I know the XBLA compilation was installed successfully. I'm also curious as to how the games are handled.

[quote name='MtlTom']Can anyone comment on how much of a difference HDD install makes on Oblivion?[/QUOTE]

I will try it in a few hours for you. I just installed Gears 2 (had to delete all 2.4 GB's of my RB music to-do so, and also my CoD4 Map Pack, Halo 3 map packs, ect..) just to get this installed, but so-far this is running great with it on the HDD.

After I'm done playing it, I'll gladly do a transfer to HDD of Oblivion and check it out for you. I know the standard loading times on it, since I've played it for well over 160+ hours - so I'll be able to tell right off the bat.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oblivion (w/o install)

DLC Loading [ Shivering Isles ] - 48 seconds
Game Loading - 32 seconds
Arch-Mage Guild Door (Leaving) - 32 seconds
Going Northeast to the first door (opening loading time) - 15 seconds
Inventory (first load) - 4-6 seconds

Oblivion (with install)

DLC Loading [ Shivering Isles ] - 35 seconds
Game Loading - 15 seconds
Arch-Mage Guild Door (Leaving) - 24 seconds
Going Northeast to the first door (opening loading time) - 7 seconds
Inventory (first load) - 1-2 seconds

Quite abit of an increase, it certainly is noticeable.

Here is another game to add to the list, OP.

Smackdown Vs. Raw 2008 - 5.8GB

I'm surprised that 07 takes up more space then 08, but oh well, not my problem and not a big deal, just find it kind of odd, especially with everything that was added to 08 as opposed to 07.

[quote name='LegendK7ll3r']I will try it in a few hours for you. I just installed Gears 2 (had to delete all 2.4 GB's of my RB music to-do so, and also my CoD4 Map Pack, Halo 3 map packs, ect..) just to get this installed, but so-far this is running great with it on the HDD.

After I'm done playing it, I'll gladly do a transfer to HDD of Oblivion and check it out for you. I know the standard loading times on it, since I've played it for well over 160+ hours - so I'll be able to tell right off the bat.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oblivion (w/o install)

DLC Loading [ Shivering Isles ] - 48 seconds
Game Loading - 32 seconds
Arch-Mage Guild Door (Leaving) - 32 seconds
Going Northeast to the first door (opening loading time) - 15 seconds
Inventory (first load) - 4-6 seconds

Oblivion (with install)

DLC Loading [ Shivering Isles ] - 35 seconds
Game Loading - 15 seconds
Arch-Mage Guild Door (Leaving) - 24 seconds
Going Northeast to the first door (opening loading time) - 7 seconds
Inventory (first load) - 1-2 seconds

Quite abit of an increase, it certainly is noticeable.[/quote]
Do you remember how much space the game (and DLC) took up?

[quote name='SynGamer']Do you remember how much space the game (and DLC) took up?[/QUOTE]

The game took up 6.7GB, and Shivering Isles I believe is 1040MB, or around that.

So, altogether, it was about 7.7GB, if you have Shivering Isles installed as-well (this is using the non-GoTY edition).

I'd try and run a test without Shivering Isle on to see, but I got S.I. by Gameflying the GoTY edition, so I wouldn't be able to get it back unless I did that again - so someone else may need to run any more tests on that version of the game, if at all possible.

[quote name='LegendK7ll3r']

Quite abit of an increase, it certainly is noticeable.[/QUOTE]
Thanks! I've been considering going back & finishing the last few Dark Brotherhood quests I need for 1000/1000. Maybe installing it will push me to do it!

[quote name='KingBroly']I kindly ask that games with multiple discs have their install sizes broken up for each individual disc.[/quote]
But that would break the organized formatting i have going...however, if you must have that, make a post with all the multi disk games and i'll edit the list.

Phantasy Star Universe - 6.8 GB
Dance Dance Revolution Universe - 3.4 GB
Dance Dance Revolution Universe 2 - 3.4 GB

I also think performance in both DDR Universe games is greatly improved, load time wise.

How are the Fable load times, I've heard so many different answers. Loads are pretty bad in that game.

And also, while this move by Microsoft may be to sell more Hard Drives, you really aren't required to buy a Hard Drive if you just want to keep playing the games off the disks.

[quote name='SynGamer']But that would break the organized formatting i have going...however, if you must have that, make a post with all the multi disk games and i'll edit the list.[/quote]

I could only help with Blue Dragon and Lost Odyssey. For other games, you'd have to get those on your own I'm afraid.

Hmm; I've been stuck on Episode 2 of the Orange Box and haven't went back. The increased load times noted on that site are gonna help me go back methinks. Thanks NXE update! :lol:

Test Drive Unlimited - 3.5 gigs

(Am I the only one that likes that game?). Seems to eliminate the pauses and some of the pop-in when driving really fast

SynGamer you should add that link to the OP its very helpful shows you the loading times...unless you want to update the OP with those as well.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']SynGamer you should add that link to the OP its very helpful shows you the loading times...unless you want to update the OP with those as well.[/quote]
I was going to but decided not to simply because hardware varies between 360's, especially the DVD drives. I don't want people to see a 10 second improvement when in reality it may be 5 seconds (or something else). I figure everyone knows the benefits by now;

• shorter load times on 90% of the games
  • less heat
  • less thrashing on your DVD drive

I think you should put a disclaimer on Final Fantasy XI (I don't play it, don't know who does) because I have heard that even though you install it (again?) it still spins the disc.

I have a question regarding Lost Odyssey. Does anyone know if I can just install 1 disk out of the 4? I'm on disk 4 on LO and I don't really need to install the rest of the disk.

bread's done
Back