Xbox 360 Game Install Sizes and Loading Times: 900+ games! (Celebrating 5+ years!)

Thanks to the IGN video comparison, game install for Deus Ex: Human Revolution is GREEN. 11 second benefit over loading from disc. Once the game hits we should have some size data to pair this up with.

[quote name='dumlaox']Thanks to the IGN video comparison, game install for Deus Ex: Human Revolution is GREEN. 11 second benefit over loading from disc. Once the game hits we should have some size data to pair this up with.[/QUOTE]

I just watched that the other day at work. If only they could do that for all games ;)

Added the size and performance for both Rock of the Dead and Deus Ex: Human Revolution. Also did a few formatting corrections.

It takes time to load that many version of the same game. :)
*runs* < I kid I kid>
[quote name='ZForce915']I haven't done the test, but I think Madden 12 is SLOWER with the install.[/QUOTE]

Well we did it. We've reached the limit of characters for each post in the first post itself. I tried adding a boatload of items from the Wiki page into the first post but I'm constantly met with an error stating that I've gone beyond the 100,000 character limit. Even after trimming some extra stuff and shortening the Not Supported listings to N/A, I'm still 151 characters over. So, SynGamer, any idea what you want to do from here?

If we go with a new thread, I'm in favor of taking what we have and splitting it into 3-4 posts, each one containing a different alphabet set. The two post idea is good but I think eventually that first post is going to look messy considering that we'll have people who could discover info for the older titles much later on.

Jeff Gerstmann from Giant Bomb just tweeted that Supremacy MMA install isn't supported. He's a reviewer but I assume it's a retail disc since the game is out. Can anyone confirm?

I've been having this issue with my 360 for a while, it seems that most of the games I install tend to have a problem with the cut scenes being extremely laggy and curing out every now and then. But when I uninstall it or delete it off of my hard rive rather, it works fine. It happens on maybe 90% of my games, anyone have any ideas on this? Thanks.

^Is your Xbox 360 the newer S model or the old phat Xbox 360 with the memory unit slots? I haven't had that problem on my 120 GB Xbox 360 elite or haven't noticed anything of that nature.

[quote name='anotherpoorgamer']^Is your Xbox 360 the newer S model or the old phat Xbox 360 with the memory unit slots? I haven't had that problem on my 120 GB Xbox 360 elite or haven't noticed anything of that nature.[/QUOTE]

I have the 250GB super Elite or whatever it's called, its the MW2 360 with the grey colouring on it. Haven't had this problem till recently and I might try formatting the whole Hard Drive but I;ll have to back up all of my save games and stuff first but I was really hoping there was an easier way.

Updated the Wiki with a few things. Still waiting on a decision from SynGamer on what to do so I probably won't be updating the page until then.

BTW, I've begun to notice something odd about the games that are using the new disc security that allows for an extra 1.1GB per disc. For some reason They seem to spin for quite some time even after the game is installed to the HDD. It stops spinning after a minute or so making me think that security verification is a longer process a result. Just an observation and it makes me wonder if it'll stay the same or improve once the new dashboard hits.

I have tried installing L4D and L4D2 on my Xbox (it's a slim model) but neither gives me the option to install. Anyone know what the issue might be?

[quote name='redflare']I have tried installing L4D and L4D2 on my Xbox (it's a slim model) but neither gives me the option to install. Anyone know what the issue might be?[/QUOTE]

How long have you waited before giving up on it? I know the dash seems to have an issue with getting the install option to show up right away. One thing I've resorted to was hitting Y once the disc's image appears then perusing through the achievement pane for a while. After a minute or so I go back and the Install Game option shows up.

So Syn.. what are you going to do? id say page a page... and post another reply.. and split it between the first two posts for the wiki. Or just make a wikipedia page itself. idk.

[quote name='Dr. Pizza']So Syn.. what are you going to do? id say page a page... and post another reply.. and split it between the first two posts for the wiki. Or just make a wikipedia page itself. idk.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, I primarily game on my PS3 these days as I no longer have XBL. I PM'd dumlaox and suggested keeping the current thread since it's essentially an archive for all of the entries, and just keep the Wiki updated. That said, the only problem I see with a new thread is only the thread creator can edit posts 2 and 3 should we try to break the list up...

First things first, I'm going to do a local copy of the first post as it stands right now. Always good to have the backup in case things go wrong or gets lost. Next, I'm going to try and slowly add in content from the Wiki to the original, one game at a time, to really push the limit of what we can post before we get stopped. Until then, I vote for the Wiki to be the main place for this. However, if the community feels differently, I'll try to get a new thread set up for all of this.

After doing some edits I got the first post pretty much up to date with the Wiki as it stands now. Not sure how long this'll last but so far, so good. I'm going to spend a good chunk of today trying to find out more info on some games so don't be surprised to see both Wiki and 1st post change again after a few hours.

I was thinking...if we remove the '...' between titles and sizes, we could free up about 20,000 characters. That should help out quite a bit.

I do like the uniformity it gives, though. Makes for a clean looking list. Still in the process of getting new game sizes and info so I'll take a look into doing something about it later tonight.

31 games either just got added or had their sizes and performance changed on the list. Looking at my collection I still have over 40 more to go. It's going to be a while.

After thinking about it for a bit, I think getting rid of the ellipses would be the best thing to do once we hit the limit again. I'll take a snapshot of the post as it stands now before attempting to make the changes.

Well i hope you guys get it figured out soon.. here's some more stuff...

Gears of War 3 - White

DISC

Booting up a continued game: 15 seconds
Booting back to main menu from in game: 9 seconds'

Hard Drive

Booting up a continued game: 15 seconds
Booting back to the main menu in game: 6 seconds

Fallout New Vegas - Green

DISC

Going outside from Dr. Mitchells House: 25 seconds
Going back into Dr. Mitchells House: 9 seconds

Hard Drive - Green

Going outside from Dr. Mitchells House: 16 seconds
Going back into Dr. Mitchells House: 7 seconds

Mortal Kombat - White

DISC

Loading a Match: 9 Seconds

Hard Drive

Loading a Match: 8 Seconds

LA Noire - White

Loading up a game from DISC - 11.5 seconds
Loading up a game from the Hard Drive - 10 seconds

Syn.. Can I work with you on this? Like Co-Operate this project? Because I always am telling my friends what a big difference it is to have certain games installed to your HDD.

I have an Idea though..

We have our own Wikipedia page on Cheap Ass Gamers.. at http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/

So why not make the wiki thread on CAG's wikipedia? :D

[quote name='Dr. Pizza']Syn.. Can I work with you on this? Like Co-Operate this project? Because I always am telling my friends what a big difference it is to have certain games installed to your HDD.

I have an Idea though..

We have our own Wikipedia page on Cheap Ass Gamers.. at http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/

So why not make the wiki thread on CAG's wikipedia? :D[/QUOTE]

We could actually do that...and then leave this thread JUST for reporting sizes and performance. Dumlaox is also my partner in crime. We owe a lot to him for the list in it's current capacity :)

Just for clarification, does this mean that the actual list itself would be the current Wiki page from now on? Should we still bother with the current list on post one, then, or will that get cleared out soon?

[quote name='dumlaox']Just for clarification, does this mean that the actual list itself would be the current Wiki page from now on? Should we still bother with the current list on post one, then, or will that get cleared out soon?[/QUOTE]
Personally, I'd say just use the Wiki...but the first post is open to everyone so you guys can choose :)

on Battlefield 3 install the single player disc but not the multiplayer disc. the game has trouble streaming both the HD install and a full game install from the hard disc. textures will either fail to load or load extremely slow if everything is installed.

[quote name='Vinyard']on Battlefield 3 install the single player disc but not the multiplayer disc. the game has trouble streaming both the HD install and a full game install from the hard disc. textures will either fail to load or load extremely slow if everything is installed.[/QUOTE]

Do you have a source? I have EVERYTHING installed and I have no issues..

[quote name='js1']Do you have a source? I have EVERYTHING installed and I have no issues..[/QUOTE]
the source is the fact that i as well as many others have done tests using every possible install procedure and only the single player disc loads all textures correctly when installed.

these are our findings

1. Full game install - patch - HD content...some textures fail to load or they never load. also some times when you install in this order the HD content will fail on the first install attempt and it will have to be restarted. that could be the issue here.

2. Patch - HD content - disc 1...textures will load most of the time but some are very very slow.

3. Patch - HD content only...textures can be seen loading quickly at the beginning of a round and occasionally during a match but much better than the other options. i believe the game is having issues streaming all the content from the disc drive. hope some of you will find this helpful.

REMEMBER TO CLEAR CACHE BEFORE TRYING THESE DIFFERENT OPTIONS>

[quote name='Vinyard']the source is the fact that i as well as many others have done tests using every possible install procedure and only the single player disc loads all textures correctly when installed.

these are our findings

1. Full game install - patch - HD content...some textures fail to load or they never load. also some times when you install in this order the HD content will fail on the first install attempt and it will have to be restarted. that could be the issue here.

2. Patch - HD content - disc 1...textures will load most of the time but some are very very slow.

3. Patch - HD content only...textures can be seen loading quickly at the beginning of a round and occasionally during a match but much better than the other options. i believe the game is having issues streaming all the content from the disc drive. hope some of you will find this helpful.

REMEMBER TO CLEAR CACHE BEFORE TRYING THESE DIFFERENT OPTIONS>[/QUOTE]

I just haven't noticed this before. I can't find anything about either when doing a search either.. Maybe it's because I have a 7200rpm HDD in my 360 instead of the standard 5400rpm HDD.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Vinyard']that could be the issue. we all have official HDD. where did you get the 7200?[/QUOTE]

Off of ebay.

[quote name='Vinyard']the source is the fact that i as well as many others have done tests using every possible install procedure and only the single player disc loads all textures correctly when installed.

these are our findings

REMEMBER TO CLEAR CACHE BEFORE TRYING THESE DIFFERENT OPTIONS>[/QUOTE]

I'm still tempted to try this and see how it comes out. *EDIT* I'm trying it out now.

[quote name='Driver121113']Is there any hard new info/stats for Battlefield 3?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

I didn't seem to notice any huge differences between the different installs.

This is the one I decided to stick with: 2. Patch - HD content - disc 1...textures will load most of the time but some are very very slow.

[quote name='js1']I didn't seem to notice any huge differences between the different installs.

This is the one I decided to stick with: 2. Patch - HD content - disc 1...textures will load most of the time but some are very very slow.[/QUOTE]

What about the time it takes to load into a map? Is that improved at all?

[quote name='js1']I didn't seem to notice any huge differences between the different installs.

This is the one I decided to stick with: 2. Patch - HD content - disc 1...textures will load most of the time but some are very very slow.[/QUOTE]

this issue is being discussed on the Dice forums right now...there is in fact a problem with streaming content from the installed game and the HD content together. option 3 is confirmed best option

Since there seems to be an issue with the Wiki right now, I'll post these here as a reminder to myself on what to add:

Rango -2.5GB - BLUE
Jimmie Johnson's Anything With An Engine - 2.7GB - WHITE
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 - 7.6GB

like BF3 Elder Scrolls V:Skyrim has the texture streaming issue when installed to the HDD however a patch is being worked on for this issue.

I installed my Skyrim disc straight away yesterday and it was loading fine, not really any problems. I read online about not installing so I deleted it now my game loads much slower and theres lag on the menus..? I might just re install it to be honest.

[quote name='Vinyard']this issue is being discussed on the Dice forums right now...there is in fact a problem with streaming content from the installed game and the HD content together. option 3 is confirmed best option[/QUOTE]

Did you have a link? I searched the ps3/360 forums couldn't find it.

bread's done
Back