Xbox 360 system update preview nets you a free copy of Reach (closed)

I signed up, this is my second beta if I get accepted so hopefully they let me in. What a nice surprise to come home to since I missed the Kinect one (was very saddened by missing that).

Major Nelson updated his blog post saying it will not cause any party chat problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd like for it to be a physical copy of Reach, but if it is a download, I hope it's a standard code and not tied to my account (assuming I even get in) so I could at least give the code to a friend.

EDIT: Rob, they also say they need to send out materials necessary for testing, and they are testing some form of updated disc type, so that might be why.

[quote name='Matt Young']I'd like for it to be a physical copy of Reach, but if it is a download, I hope it's a standard code and not tied to my account (assuming I even get in) so I could at least give the code to a friend.

EDIT: Rob, they also say they need to send out materials necessary for testing, and they are testing some form of updated disc type, so that might be why.[/QUOTE]

Right, I forgot about that.

[quote name='jbug617']They are testing a new disc format so maybe they are shipping Reach on the new format.[/QUOTE]

XGD3 Disc Format (a new format to fight against piracy/copies, with 7.8GB capacity nearly impossible to copy)

..afaik they wont ship Reach, testers will get a XBL DLC code.

The target of the test is to collect as much information as possible about xboxes and drives the people own.

Crap I gotta wait till I get home for this. Hopefully sign ups won't be full by then. I didn't even know about the Reach part till I read it here.

[quote name='KaneRobot']...do we know you get a boxed retail copy of Reach? I would not be surprised if it were just the download version since it's in GoD now. Wouldn't be much use to me since I already have it.

I suppose it could be a code that lets you download it, but I don't think MS would be that dumb, there would be thousands of copies of Reach out there that people would be practically giving away. I bet it's a DL that's tied to your account.[/QUOTE]

Half the reason they are doing this is to test a new disc tech (probably new DRM). So it will be a disc, and it won't play on any other 360 without the update.

[quote name='shrike4242']Xbox 360 BluRay drive, anyone? :whistle2:s[/QUOTE]

Not a chance in hell. You'd have better luck hoping for Xbox's to be shipped with PS3's.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Half the reason they are doing this is to test a new disc tech (probably new DRM). So it will be a disc, and it won't play on any other 360 without the update.

Not a chance in hell. You'd have better luck hoping for Xbox's to be shipped with PS3's.[/QUOTE]I wouldn't say that it's not a chance in hell, though it's a pretty small chance.

New disc type with new DRM makes a lot more sense.

Sucks it's continental US (if you look at the survey). That's alright though, I've been fortunate enough to get some good stuff from the other betas.

[quote name='Cheddahz']I wonder when they will actually start accepting people into this beta[/QUOTE]

Think it said 2 weeks...

Has anyone had bad experiences with previous betas? I'm just nervous about the fact that you can't revert if something goes wrong.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']I wonder when we'll find out who's in. Hopefully soon. I have no patience at all.[/QUOTE]

In two weeks we will find out ;)

I've applied in the past, and never seem to get chosen. This time...will probably return the same outcome.

[quote name='TXboxGuY']I wonder if the copy of Halo: Reach is going to be a game download from the Marketplace. I already have Reach but no interest in taking part anyway.[/QUOTE]

"Due to disc distribution limitation, this beta will be limited to Xbox LIVE members living in the continental United States."

I hope I get in... I haven't gotten an email yet...does it happen like..automaticaly if so? I didn't even get one.. I just clicked continue to the shipping details.. Anyone know about this?

Signed up, but then I thought about how I'm looking for a deal on the Slim, and what might happen if I were to want to get one during the break-in period. Ah well, not a big deal. Thanks for the heads up, I'm hoping for a dash that's not quite so retina-rapingly white.

Ha...watch it be an actual copy of Reach, but then it's some new type of individually marked physical media they are testing that won't play on any other 360 once it is tied to your console. Goodnight, used games market!

Someone write a fake blog about it and sent it to Kotaku, they'll probably fall for it again.

[quote name='thrustbucket']Half the reason they are doing this is to test a new disc tech (probably new DRM). So it will be a disc, and it won't play on any other 360 without the update.[/QUOTE]

Could be.

Personally I hope it has something to do with installs. Some way that allows you to install the game and not have the disc in the drive. Maybe the game's security check comes pre-installed to a special USB stick that has to be plugged in. This would potentially allow you to install a game and not have the disc in at all times, just the USB stick. Of course having every game come with a special USB thumb drive doesn't seem too economical. Who knows? lol

[quote name='Corvin']Could be.

Personally I hope it has something to do with installs. Some way that allows you to install the game and not have the disc in the drive. Maybe the game's security check comes pre-installed to a special USB stick that has to be plugged in. This would potentially allow you to install a game and not have the disc in at all times, just the USB stick. Of course having every game come with a special USB thumb drive doesn't seem too economical. Who knows? lol[/QUOTE]

Not trying to be a pecker-weiner, but what's the difference if you have to swap discs or swap USB sticks? I think it's a new DRM that locks the disc to the console and I'm okay with that. The used game market feels dirty to me. And that's coming from a 7 year CAG vet! HA!

[quote name='jimrome27']"there's a chance participants could wind up with non-functioning systems"
what ya'll think?[/QUOTE]I think that's just another way of saying "if someone bad happens to your system, you were warned, so you can't complain at us".

I wonder if the other rewards will be physical or perhaps digital, like avatar stuff or special achievements.

[quote name='leylines']Maybe the disc will be square, that would stop those damn pirates![/QUOTE]
Hahaha, one would think. ;)

bread's done
Back