Xbox 360 system update preview nets you a free copy of Reach (closed)

All signed up, I was in the last dashboard preview. I don't really care if voice gets messed up, the only time I'll need voice chat any time soon will be Portal 2.

Pre-Release Software. You acknowledge that due to the unique nature of pre-release software update programs, there is a risk that this software update may impair your console's functionality or even render it inoperable. Consoles registered with the Preview program are the only consoles that will be allowed into the Preview program. If you update another console with the build, including by inserting a Preview game disc in a non-Preview console, then that console will be unable to connect to Xbox LIVE until the official software update release is delivered to the public.:whistle2:k

[quote name='mrx001']Pre-Release Software. You acknowledge that due to the unique nature of pre-release software update programs, there is a risk that this software update may impair your console's functionality or even render it inoperable. Consoles registered with the Preview program are the only consoles that will be allowed into the Preview program. If you update another console with the build, including by inserting a Preview game disc in a non-Preview console, then that console will be unable to connect to Xbox LIVE until the official software update release is delivered to the public.:whistle2:k[/QUOTE]

It's how it's always been with these preview programs.

Damn it. I accidentally put my Social Security number instead of Serial Number.....anyone think that if I email the help desk they can fix it cause I really want in on this preview as well. I could've sworn it asked for my SS number

Rumor on joystiq says that this new disc technology is they have found a way to make their DVD's store up to 1GB by eliminating the DRM partition, or something. They obviously want to make sure all 360's can read the discs ok, hence the beta.

Yeah, audio chat was only out in the last update because they updated codec quality. I don't see why they would do that again so soon.

[quote name='dkcecil']Thanks for the heads up! Although I have to wait until I get home so I can give them my console ID and such.[/QUOTE]

I posted this on page 2:

one is on xbox.com/drm: scroll down and click start the license transfer process now and your console id will be in the pop-up

The other is on xbox.com/support: click my account on the upper right hand corner, then my devices, then start a repair request, and it should be there.

That's weird. I was just coming here to ask if it could possibly be a storage boost but didn't think it would really be possible. Hopefully it is true, although I don't know how much of a difference 1 GB will really make at this point.

Started signing up at work until I saw the part about your console ID and all that stuff. I'll have to continue when I get home, hopefully I'll still have a shot at getting in!

[quote name='venomscarnage']Damn it. I accidentally put my Social Security number instead of Serial Number.....anyone think that if I email the help desk they can fix it cause I really want in on this preview as well. I could've sworn it asked for my SS number[/QUOTE]

What? lol Dont think you are going to get accepted then.

[quote name='chubbyninja1319']Not trying to be a pecker-weiner, but what's the difference if you have to swap discs or swap USB sticks? I think it's a new DRM that locks the disc to the console and I'm okay with that. The used game market feels dirty to me. And that's coming from a 7 year CAG vet! HA![/QUOTE]

You could keep anywhere from 1-5 jump drives plugged in negating the use of the discs. I'd say most people have 2-3 games they always want at their fingertips (for me: Halo, CoD, Rock Band). Plug 3 in the back of the system and never touch those discs again.

Just something I'm hoping for a solution to at some point, whether it's on the current system or the next one. I want to own the disc but still install and go disc-less.

[quote name='koopa213']anyone else getting an error after confirming email?[/QUOTE]

Maybe they aren't accepting any more applications, who knows

[quote name='thrustbucket']Rumor on joystiq says that this new disc technology is they have found a way to make their DVD's store up to 1GB by eliminating the DRM partition, or something. They obviously want to make sure all 360's can read the discs ok, hence the beta.

Yeah, audio chat was only out in the last update because they updated codec quality. I don't see why they would do that again so soon.[/QUOTE]Here's the article in question:

http://www.joystiq.com/2011/03/30/rumor-xbox-dashboard-update-to-add-1gb-of-dvd-storage/

It could be that as well as some updated compression scheme that allows for better use of the space on the disc.

[quote name='Kamera']Has anyone had bad experiences with previous betas? I'm just nervous about the fact that you can't revert if something goes wrong.[/QUOTE]

Nah, they've been fine so far. The Kinect dashboard was a bit annoying since they never told us we couldn't go into private chat just no party chat. I've been in about 5 I think and have never had any issues.

Update: Thank you for your interest in the Xbox LIVE Update Preview Program! Sorry, at this time we are no longer accepting registrations for the program as we have reached our target audience volume. Please be on the lookout for additional opportunities in the future to participate in Xbox LIVE Update Preview programs. For those of you that have successfully completed registration we will be reaching out to you once we have completed the selection process for participation – within the next 2 weeks. You can check on your status my referring to your Connect Dashboard page and the icon in the upper right corner.
If you see Xbox LIVE Update = Pending then you have successfully registered and now you just need to wait for a follow up mail.

I really dont understand how to check. I go to the dashboard and directory and i dont see any icons in the upper right corner.
Now i see a Xbox LIVE update that says pending, but it says created 7/01/2011. That must be it.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='AgentW']has anyone seen a time limit on how long to sign up before it's closed?[/QUOTE]

Your answer is a few posts up...

[quote name='AgentW']has anyone seen a time limit on how long to sign up before it's closed?[/QUOTE]

2 posts above you... Seriously, man.

RIF-Logo-blue_large.gif

You know what I'd like to see happen with the DVD loading to HDD? I'd like to see the game be able to be played without a disk for 2 or 3 times BEFORE asking you to put it in again. That way there is convenience added with loading it to the HDD but keeps people from renting/burning and this way you would still need to own the disk.

Someone make this happen!

[quote name='buddynayr']Maybe I'm crazy, but can we hope for improvements on the video playback. .mkv support at least?[/QUOTE]

I wish! Atleast they should update .AVI support...my system doesn't play every .AVI file out there, certain videos give me an error.

[quote name='CheapAssHustla']I'm going to see if I was selected when I get to the nearest computer. Keeping my fingers crossed![/QUOTE]

you won't know for at least 2 weeks. Hold that enthusiasm for another 14 days

bread's done
Back