Xbox One - General Discussion Thread

Keep telling yourself that but you're wrong as always.
Trying to avoid turning this into a troll fest, but how? Sure the guy could have said it a little more eloquently, but he's right... personal computers and smartphones are by far the best and widest used way to track someone, there is no value whatsoever to the US Government in watching someone through a Kinect camera.

I have no problems with people who enjoy Kinect and are looking forward to it.  To each their own, and I couldn't give a rat's ass how someone enjoys frivolous hobbies like games, tv etc. in their free time.

But if you're one who enjoys it, why's it so hard to see that not everyone is going to feel the same?

I loathe motion controls and will never play another game that requires me to interact with it with more than a gamepad.  I'll happily quit gaming and spend time on more productive activities and more enjoyable hobbies if gamepad controlled games go the way of the dodo.

I have no interest in talking to games or my TV (my Harmony remote is fine, thank you very much).  I don't want my face in games.  I play games (and enjoy any type of fictional entertainment in general) to take a break from my life/reality.  Face scanning to select profiles is useless to me as my profile is the only one on any of my consoles (and always will be as I'll never have kids, never have roommates again etc.).

I'm not poo-pooing on any of those features.  Some are nifty for those interested in them for sure.  Just saying they're not for me.  And that's why I'd never buy the X1 with them included (or any console with a camera or motion control stuff forced in).  I have no interest in it, it drives up costs, and I don't want to support it financially (and thus encourage the trend to continue) by buying it despite not wanting that stuff.  Will be great for those who want it I'm sure, but such folks shouldn't have such a hard understanding that like anything in life--it's not for everyone.  Enjoy it when it's here, and don't waste so much energy trying to convince others why it's the greatest thing since sliced bread. 

By the same token, I'm not wasting energy telling people they shouldn't buy or enjoy an X1 just because I'm not interested in it, or trying to convince people Kinect is terrible or anything.  It's just not for me, and I couldn't care less how much it sells or doesn't, or who buys one or doesn't.  It's fun discussing the industry and seeing why people enjoy what they do and why they decide to buy things they do.  But certainly not worth arguing over, or assuming everyone who isn't interested in the same console/features is a fanboy, or just ignorant of the features etc. vs. just accepting that everyone has different tastes, interests and preferences.

Last edited by a moderator:
This thread is basically going to turn into the other thread and its pretty unfortunate.

Watched World War Z yesterday and it solidified my preorder for DR3! Haha I want to fight the hoard!

The only game I have some hype for is DR3 and I am still a little leery of the new direction they are taking it. I am not saying it will be bad just because it won't be like the first two, but I need to see more.

All that being said though, I likely won't be getting a XB1 at launch or anytime soon after. I still don't dig the Kinect being required. I will get one eventually, but when it is around the 300 range probably.

The only game I have some hype for is DR3 and I am still a little leery of the new direction they are taking it. I am not saying it will be bad just because it won't be like the first two, but I need to see more.

All that being said though, I likely won't be getting a XB1 at launch or anytime soon after. I still don't dig the Kinect being required. I will get one eventually, but when it is around the 300 range probably.

Are you talking about the silliness from the first two? If so it's still there and they showed a lot of it at SDCC.

Not a big deal to me since I haven't recorded anything I did in video games since the 16-bit days but I'm sure some will care about this:

Add to My News
Story by Dave Cook

Mon, Jul 22, 2013 | 12:04 BST

Xbox One captures your last 5 minutes of play compared to PS4′s 15
Xbox One will boast similar footage capture and sharing tech to PS4, but Microsoft has confirmed that the console will only record your last five minutes of play at any given time. PlayStation 4 on the other hand, captures the last 15 minutes.

20130531_xbox_one.jpg

You may have seen that we reported on Microsoft’s Xbox One panel session at Comic-Con last night, in which Microsoft Studios creative director Ken Lobb used the console’s Project Upload feature to record Killer Instinct highlights from Evo 2013.

Well, Gamespot reports that during the same session Lobb confirmed that Xbox One is capable of recording your last five minutes of gameplay, compared to PS4′s 15 minutes.

Lobb said, “The idea is you’re always recording. The last five minutes of any game you’re playing are always being stored on your hard drive.”

Say you’re making a compilation video but can’t stop your session to save the last five minutes before capturing the next; Lobb said added, “Say you’re playing online and you just did the best thing ever – you can’t pause as you’re playing online. You can say ‘Xbox, record that’ and it’ll grab the last 30 seconds of gameplay for you to play around with later.”

What do you make of the difference in capture time between Xbox One and PS4? Let us know below.

Thanks Eurogamer.

Yeah, also irrelevant to me.  I have no interest in recording or sharing any of my gaming.

Other than occasionally playing some online MP (and mostly only coop) my gaming hasn't really changed since I was a kid playing the NES. I just want to turn on a console, load up a game and veg out by myself for a while.  It's never been a social thing for me.  Just a fun/different hobby to kill some time with a few hours a week. So all these extra features are just lost on me personally.

As for the difference between the two consoles recording features, I guess that just matters on how long of videos people are wanting to make.  I'm assuming you can make longer than 5 or 15 minutes and that's just how much is always being recorded that you can go back and grab?  If so, I don't see that as a big deal as I'd think the people really into making videos would be doing it more actively, and 5 or 15 minutes should be plenty for the "I just did something awesome and want to save it" type recordings--especially since you can just voice command to do it on the X1 per above.

The only times I've ever wanted to record something was if a crazy glitch or something happens. The number of times that it's happened I can count on one hand. Not too worried.

I'm looking forward to Forza 5, Dead Rising 3 and LEGO: Marvel most.

Watch Dogs, Ryse and LocoCycle are other launch titles I'm interested in, but I'll probably wait for word of mouth.

Does anyone know why the Xbox Live Day One edition includes Jago? I thought Jago was the free character for everyone?

Very interesting article - X1 May Have 3x More Launch Units

http://uk.gamespot.com/news/analyst-xbox-one-may-have-3x-more-launch-units-than-ps4-6411894

Yeah, also irrelevant to me. I have no interest in recording or sharing any of my gaming.
Exactly. Another novel feature that many will try once and few will actually use on a regular basis. I've recorded a few Halo bits to share with friends but they never watch them anyway. :lol:

Some good news, MS is going to allow indies to self publish, and is trying to speed up the certification process.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/07/24/microsoft-to-announce-indie-self-publishing-new-certification-process.aspx?utm_source=buffer&utm_campaign=Buffer&utm_content=buffer8dd0a&utm_medium=twitter

Not really news, but MS shot down the rumor of a Kinect-less X1 bundle by summer:

http://kotaku.com/microsoft-shoots-down-rumors-of-kinect-free-xbox-one-bu-897031441

Never put any stock in that rumor as they're really determined to push Kinect and aren't going to give in that easily, if at all this generation--especially if there are regular games (rather than Kinect specific titles) that end up requiring it as any future Kinect-less bundle wouldn't be able to play those titles out of the box.  

Looks like Microsoft did confirm the reports about self publishing, as well as saying that each xbox one console will double as a dev kit.

True or not, you don't expect them to confirm the console everyone wants right before the launch of the console they want everyone to buy do you?
Oh of course not. But I don't see them giving in on Kinect ever. A price drop in a year (or less), if its selling poorly? Sure. And same for Sony if the PS4 sales were lagging. Time will tell on that.

But I imagine Kinect will always be packed in as I imagine some core games will require use of it and they're aren't going to want to render those games unplayable to future owners who buy a later bundle that doesn't include Kinect.

Plus it's just part of their core vision of the console. They want people to use and love gestures, voice commands etc. for games, interacting with their TV etc. They're going to sink or swim with that focus. Sink with me as I'll never buy one with Kinect included as I have no interest in it,and don't want to support it financially as I want motion/voice controls to die off (or at least stay for the casual/fitness/dance type games).

Continued good news for the X1
Should have been like that in the first place....they literally have reversed almost every single policy they originally presented. I mean, this is good for everyone of course; I just still have a hard time grasping what they were trying to achieve with their initial policies in the first place.

They were just trying to exert maximum control over games on their consoles so they could make more money.  Simple as that.

But it is good that they've changed so many policies.  Shows why competition is so important and having at least two strong players in the console gaming market is a good thing.  It keeps them in check somewhat and makes it harder for them to enforce policies that are not consumer or indie developer friendly.

People are too short-sighted. They see it as the gimmick the wii and Kinect 1 was, or that they "just want games". Well that's certainly something people can only want, but they'll be missing out on some real creative stuff.

Like I've said, people can bitch about the One all they want, once they start seeing it in action, they are going to want it.
Or maybe some people have a different preference than you. It looks cool to you and you're probably going to enjoy it, but for some people it's insignificant.

Or maybe some people have a different preference than you. It looks cool to you and you're probably going to enjoy it, but for some people it's insignificant.
And for other's it's a negative rather than insignificant. Like me as I loathe motion controls and voice controls no matter how well they work. I'm not short sighted. It's just not something I enjoy at all based on experience with motion control games. I hated the entirety of it, not just that they didn't work perfectly on Wii or Kinect 1. I don't enjoy moving around or making gestures to play games. It just isn't fun to me at all. I'm sure Kinect 2 will be much more accurate etc. than Kinect 1, but that's not going to make someone like me who hates any kind of motion control gaming feel any different about it as we hate the concept not the past executions of it.

And again, I have no qualms with people who like motion controls and are looking forward to getting better experiences with an improved Kinect on X1. More power to them. We're talking games and all that matters is playing what you enjoy. People on forums like these spend far too much time insulting/arguing with people with different gaming preferences than their own, rather than just focusing on enjoying what they like playing. Especially for something like this where there's a clear choice between a console with motion control stuff packed in, and one without.

I'm not going around trashing X1 all over the place as there's another console that fits my needs better next gen, and there are plenty of people excited for what MS is trying to do with the X1. That's the beauty of having competition and variety. Now if Sony had packed in the Eye camera with every PS4, then I'd be doing a lot more ranting and bitching (about both companies) as I'd have no next-gen console options. :D As is, there are two fairly different machines coming out, and that's a good thing. More variety, and more fun to watch and discuss as the launches approach and proceed.

And for other's it's a negative rather than insignificant. Like me as I loathe motion controls and voice controls no matter how well they work. I'm not short sighted. It's just not something I enjoy at all based on experience with motion control games. I hated the entirety of it, not just that they didn't work perfectly on Wii or Kinect 1. I don't enjoy moving around or making gestures to play games. It just isn't fun to me at all. I'm sure Kinect 2 will be much more accurate etc. than Kinect 1, but that's not going to make someone like me who hates any kind of motion control gaming feel any different about.

And again, I have no qualms with people who like them and are looking forward to getting better experiences with an improved Kinect on X1. More power to them. We're talking games and all that matters is playing what you enjoy. People on forums like these spend far too much time insulting/arguing with people with different gaming preferences than their own, rather than just focusing on enjoying what they like playing. Especially for something like this where there's a clear choice between a console with motion control stuff packed in, and one without.

I'm not going around trashing X1 all over the place as there's another console that fits my needs better next gen, and there are plenty of people excited for what MS is trying to do with the X1. Now if Sony had packed in Eye too, then I'd be doing a lot more ranting and bitching as I'd have no next-gen console options.
veryhappy13.gif
As is, there are two fairly different machines coming out, and that's a good thing. More variety, and more fun to watch and discuss as the launches approach and proceed.
I was specifically refering to the features of Kinect as being insignificant. The fact that it raises the price and it's something I don't want makes it a negative for me also. The features announced don't look like anything special to me, but I'm also not big on motion controls. A good example is Super Mario Galaxy. It's an amazing game, but the motion controls didn't add anything and in some instances detracted from the game.

It looks good to some people and that's fine, but I really don't understand why some people act as though someone not liking it is impossible.

A good example is Super Mario Galaxy. It's an amazing game, but the motion controls didn't add anything and in some instances detracted from the game.

It looks good to some people and that's fine, but I really don't understand why some people act as though someone not liking it is impossible.
SMG is a great example of why I don't like motion controls being included in every console--they end up getting forced into games. The waggle to spin and the pointer stuff took away from my enjoyment of SMG a ton. To the extent that I had to really keep slogging to finish it and never bothered with the sequel.

I don't want gestures popping up in games and ruining them for me like that on X1--only time will tell how many developers put crap like that in their games. It's much less of an issue if it's totally optional for anything but Kinect-specific titles (fitness, dance, party games etc.).

To the second, agree and that was my point. People just need to accept that not everyone is going to like motion controls or the other Kinect features. I'm not going to go around and call people names or say they're short sighted etc. for enjoying and looking forward to them. More power to the them. They can enjoy all that stuff on their X1s and I'll enjoy my regular games with guaranteed regular controls (due to no camera being packed in) on PS4.

It's a start but several indie devs have brought up the very valid point that if MS doesn't do much to promote indies (think the no man''s land that is XBLA indies now where there's no way to stand out and no promotion) they still aren't going to bother. Sony and Nintendo actively court and promote indie titles, which MS has been extremely lax in doing the last several years.

It's a start but several indie devs have brought up the very valid point that if MS doesn't do much to promote indies (think the no man''s land that is XBLA indies now where there's no way to stand out and no promotion) they still aren't going to bother. Sony and Nintendo actively court and promote indie titles, which MS has been extremely lax in doing the last several years.

It's not their market. I would love to see how important indie titles are to the Xbox gamer. None of my close friends who play Xbox even know what indies are let alone have ever played one. To me this is just a small line item. But that's me.

That's definitely it. MS wants the casual and mainstream gamer market, and hopes to broaden appeal with that market with all the TV and media stuff. They don't care about the hardcore gamers playing indie games or Japanese developed games.

Time well tell whether that strategy works out for them or not after we have a few years of next gen hardware and software sales totals to look at. Will catering mainly to the mainstream gamer who just buys the western developed blockbuster games keep them in first place in. US sales? It will be interesting to see. One study I saw a thread about on GAF yesterday has the PS4 with a 50% lead currently. But of course surveys about which people are planning to buy currently may not be indicative of sales status a year or two down the line.

So some bad news for XB1 for once: Kinect Sports Rivals delayed till Spring.

Where does that leave us for Kinect required launch games? 0?

yes most hardcore gamers like us want to see great indie game support but lets be honest 360 has awful indie support and it sold pretty dang well most people don't buy/play indie games.

yes most hardcore gamers like us want to see great indie game support but lets be honest 360 has awful indie support and it sold pretty dang well most people don't buy/play indie games.

Because people auto assume Indie = small budget = shitty game

Only game I want for XboxOne is Quantum Break for the simple fact that I have never been disappointed by a Remedy game. Always seems like they put their hearts into their games. sad that it will be a Xbone exclusive.

That's too bad about Kinect Sports being delayed, but it was doubtful I'd get it at launch anyway.  I am really struggling with what game to buy on launch.  I'm excited for KI and plan to buy into that on some level.  But, I'm torn on Ryse.  I "want" to like it, but I've yet to see a report that was positive.  Lots of unknowns about that game right now.  If they'd be more open about showing vids, gameplay, etc., I'd have more warm 'n fuzzies over it.  If not Ryse, then I guess I'd go with ACIV.  I haven't really enjoyed the last two AC games, but I'm a sucker for pirate stuff, so that might be the one.  I have a couple months to decide. 

Only game I want for XboxOne is Quantum Break for the simple fact that I have never been disappointed by a Remedy game. Always seems like they put their hearts into their games. sad that it will be a Xbone exclusive.
I'm holding out hope it may one day come out on PC as I too love Remedy games

That's too bad about Kinect Sports being delayed, but it was doubtful I'd get it at launch anyway. I am really struggling with what game to buy on launch. I'm excited for KI and plan to buy into that on some level. But, I'm torn on Ryse. I "want" to like it, but I've yet to see a report that was positive. Lots of unknowns about that game right now. If they'd be more open about showing vids, gameplay, etc., I'd have more warm 'n fuzzies over it. If not Ryse, then I guess I'd go with ACIV. I haven't really enjoyed the last two AC games, but I'm a sucker for pirate stuff, so that might be the one. I have a couple months to decide.

There were a lot of good articles that came out of SDCC about Ryse.

I'm going for

Ryse
DR3
BF4
Forza 5
Watch Dogs

I'm excited about what it will offer in the future. Sure the system will have a slow start since with the whole fiasco back in Spring and I honestly was hoping for them to keep it, but overall the system seems to be going in the right direction in not only gaming but innovation as a whole. The only titles I see myself in buying would be Battlefield 4, Dead Rising 3, Forza 5, and Killer Instinct.

My question is though, will my 360 arcade stick be compatible with the Xbox One? I would hate to shell out another $200-$300 for some good arcade sticks.

BTW, do you guys agree that it's safe to add the Dev Kit programming on the console to help people such as myself dig into and learning how a game is made?

BTW, do you guys agree that it's safe to add the Dev Kit programming on the console to help people such as myself dig into and learning how a game is made?
The dev kit capability, when they add it, will require a license fee. You may want to start on PC or android if you are simply curious.

Good news today!

XB1 will have UNLIMITED cloud storage for saves.

It also requires no paywall, IE even silver members can use it.

Now if we can only "stream (without a full installation) if XB1 games that would be pretty sweet for a temporary situation when people fill their 500 gigs of HD Space.

Good news today!

XB1 will have UNLIMITED cloud storage for saves.

It also requires no paywall, IE even silver members can use it.

Now if we can only "stream (without a full installation) if XB1 games that would be pretty sweet for a temporary situation when people fill their 500 gigs of HD Space.
wow maybe alot more things will be coming out of the paywall. it would help ms a tons of all apps like netflix comes to silver members

Has anyone seen this yet?  

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KL5JUCuvlPY&feature=youtu.be[/youtube]

X1 Headset now included with the console?  

Preordered from the MS Store today (also signed up for amazon notifications, just in case). I was really considering the PS4, but at the end of the day the games I want to play are going to be on Xbox One. I'm excited even though it ended up costing me double :p

Off to research DR3, Ryse, and Watch Dogs and pick one of those for release day. I'll be getting Forza 5 for sure (again, a game I know I want) and maybe 2k14 even though I was disappointed with 2k13.

bread's done
Back